Celtic Thread

Well I'll just say well done Celtic & well done Sutton ;)

chris-sutton-celebrates_tp1.jpg

Ha ha i bought that strip too!Im not a glory hunter thistle are bottom and Newcastle are in the relegation zone.But you know.

Well done last night, Celtic.
You showed patience, good passing and confidence.
Larson was awsome as usual and it was nice to see Sutton get a goal.
We will have to beat Rangers for you guys, home and away! I got tickets too . . . :square:

delighted that you got the result you deserved both for last night and against Bayern.
IMO for what it is worth rangers have the easier group and I think they will get a draw tonight putting them and Man Utd in a strong position to play out agreed results! Still hopeful though that both Scottish teams will progress, keep it up you are doing us proud, and it is great tv.

Get feckin in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Partied till 2am watched the game again and can't believe the onslaught in the second half, it was like watching Iraq being pummeled!!!!

Larsson was once again class and i personally thought Bobo was immense ( he'll be a big miss on Sat.) Brilliant Larsson interview afterwards when asked about comments made by Lyon he replied " i don't care, ive scored goals in WC and Euro Cups so that speaks for itself..... i really don't care what anyone has to say.........." Hail Hail Henrik!!!!!!!!

yeah model pro is larsson, cannot see how celtic will replace him, and for that the scottish game!

:mrgreen: LOL @ Vann........well pointed out CD, I was going to say the same thing. And as a matter of fact Henrik has a runners-up medal, don't think any of those two have anything similar from European Club competitions.

As for Gnairn, your a normal Jag-Ger fan, don't worry I've got a mate like that too, it's normal being a Thistle fan.

Great performance and the atmosphere was f*cking awesome. Honestly couldn't predict a score, it was anyone's guess, but with no home defeat for 2 years I should've known better. Lyon where limited to only a 2-3 real chances at best, whilst Celtic could've easily scored 5 or 6 goals, some of the misses where bad i.e henrik, sutton, thommo-hawk. Dodgy penalty, but if you touch someone in the box your asking for trouble, I don't really bother that much about the goalie straying from the line, although they'll need to get something sorted out, it was a dire pk anyway and thankfully Thommo won't be taking them now. Really is a joke the amount of big game penalties we're missing.

Lyon are a fantastic side, great football, the 1st half they where showing great possession without penetrating our brilliant defence marshalled by Varga and probably the most dominant Centre Half in the planet Bobo Balde, not saying he's the best (far from it) but I can't think of one player who dominates his area so much, practically unbeatable in the air, strong as an ox and is amazingly quick for a beast of a man. 2nd half was one way traffic and some of Celtic's play was tremendous. Watch the game when I got in and have to agree with Gerry McNee saying it was one of the best performances in Europe for many a year.

Probably a good result the 1-1 in Belgium. If we can win in Belgium (still think it'll be hard) then we could be in the next round.

FD

Yep, people forget Lyon and Bayern have two matches against each other to come, they can't both get maximum points - we have Lyon away which I'd be delighted to get a point in and Bayern at home, which I now want 3 in after last night.

Anderlecht's goal was a peach, that wee black guy on the left wing absolutely skinned whatever numpty it was playing right-back for Bayern ;).

Well I seen the highlights last night and Celtic well and truely pumped them, could have easily have been 4-0. Larsson looked like he played amazing last night, especially that two crosses he put in for the goals. I've got to say it looks like Celtic have a fantastic chance of qualify for the next round.

I watched the Anderlecht match...it sure was a good goal, but all in all they shouldn't be happy with a draw against a side that had to play more than one half with 10 players... In all fairness (and i hate to say this because Bayern is the team i love to hate), Bayern was by far the best team even with a man down..
The Anderlecht team that played yesterday is simply not good enough to finish second in the group (even third place will prove to be impossible). To be fair to them they have loads of injured players (the man who scored is third choice, the right flank is third choice, the defensive midfielder is third choice). If Anderlecht could have played with Jestrovic as CF, Junior or Vanderhaeghe as DMF, Lovré as RMF and Kollar as LMF they would have a decent chance to compete against Lyon or Celtic...
With this particular team Celtic needn't be worried...
There was one positive point however, the way seventeen year old central defender Kompany played against Makaay, very, very promising...He played flawless and with the confidence of a player who is a CL veteran.

1 point in Lyon, 6 points against Anderlecht and i'll take a draw against Bayern.

I know our home form is top drawer but Bayern will AGAIN be tough opposition.

Only saw the 2nd half, Lyon looked sh*te, Celtic ran them ragged.

I knew Elbers comments about Larsson would bite him on the arse.

Im looking forward to my trip to Glasgow in a couple of weeks, just a shame we dont get to play you's instead, think we beat you last time we played there, I dont think it was a "competitive" match although ive been told Celtic dont do friendlies....

Is it true that you dont really have touts up there and its a rule that you only buy/sell tickets at face value...

Not got a clue what your talking about Vann?

1. Lyon are sh!te I presume because they never beat us? So guess Juve where just sh*te last year when you beat them at the Delle Alpi, and your just an average team that faces sh*te week in, week out. For once try saying that another team apart from Man Utd where the better team.

2. Whoever your talking to about tickets is talking out their arse, you go and try and get a Man Utd - Rangers ticket for the face value, then you'll be a better man than Gunga Din. If you believe that, could you by any chance lend me £10000 I'll give you it back when you come to Glasgow. Just send me a cheque cheers.

FD

I was quite impressed with Lyon. Technically they were superb - one of the best passing sides I've seen in a long time. They had a lot of good chances in the first half, Hedman made a great save to keep out Elber.

I think the reason they looked shite when you were watching them Vann, is because Celtic wore them out! Every time OL attacked, Celtic raced down the other end and created good chances of their own.

Good game and one that Celtic deserved to win.

I hope you're right gerd but in past years Celtic have faultered in Europe in games they are the favourites, we play best when we are underdogs or when both teams are given an even chance.

If we can get a point @ Anderlecht & Lyon, and beat both Anderlecht and Bayern @ home, that would be 11 points and we'd be through. If we can beat Anderlecht away (which is our next game) then at home, we could perhaps even afford to lose in Lyon if we beat Bayern in our final game @ home, but that's a big ask. Best thing is to beat Anderlecht home and away, beat Lyon in France, then beat Bayern 3-0 @ home, I'd settle nicely for that :).

Exactly TB, funnily enough there is sometimes a match where one team is better than the other on the night without the losing team being shite.

FD

OL were very good in the first half but really only had 1 chance with Elbers clever back-header but as TBFan says Celtic were overpowering in the 2nd half and could have won the game by more if it wasn't for Coupet the GK.

T Butcher fan said:
They had a lot of good chances in the first half, Hedman made a great save to keep out Elber.
tbh I don't remember a single chance in the first half other than Elber's header, and that wasn't even what you'd call a real chance, it was more opportunistic. Second half Elber had a shot in the 92nd minute or so from a tight angle, again not a real chance. I can't remember them penetrating our back line other than those two for the rest of the game.

They are very slick though, we'll need to defend similarly in France to escape with anything other than nil pwa! Hartson will be closer to fitness by then though and all being well we'll be in a good position, while Lyon and Bayern will have dropped points to one another.

Well I did say that Celtic ran them ragged, which to me means they looked f*cked, people said they looked better in the 1st half, but I again I did put that I only caught the 2nd half, where Celtic looked miles infront.

It was Rangers fan who was saying that about the tickets, could give a f*ck though i'll be gettin mine thru the club for face value, it was just a question cos I thought it was suspect myself.....

I see in the interview with MON yesterday, he said that Sven Goran Eriksson should take a trip up to see Alan Thompson. I think they should pick Thompson, for a start he's naturally Left footed and he works very hard for the team. I don't wanna hear any of the shite from Vann that the Scottish league isn't good enough, because thats bollocks.

Thompson 4 England! O'Neill 4 President! Larsson 4 King! AND AGATHE 4 FUCKSAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are Scottish players playing in England favoured more for the national team, just wondering cos young Stewart and Fletcher are being classed as Full Internationals but they barely make our first team, this cant be right.

Andy1888 said:
...AND AGATHE 4 FUCKSAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mrgreen: LOL.........nice one mate.

btw, Thommo-hawk and Sutty should be in the squad easy-peasy. There ain't a better target man in Britain better than Sutty and with the constant probs on Englands left side Thommo should be there, he's done it in Europe consistently whilst playing in our poor league.

FD

Would you listen to the state of the match report on UEFA.com

Miller makes breakthrough
Just when it seemed that Coupet would deny Celtic the breakthrough, the opening goal arrived in the 70th minute. Larsson dispossessed Eric Deflandre on the left and crossed for substitute Miller to score with a powerful downward header that gave the Lyon goalkeeper no chance.

Sutton strikes
Nine minutes later, the points were sealed with Larsson again the provider. He twisted past Edmílson on the left and crossed for Sutton this time to head beyond Coupet. Celtic could have added a third in the closing minutes as a Sutton header from a Stilian Petrov glanced against the post, but the home fans were delighted just to see their side win.

Apparently it wasn't a 25 pass, 2 minute move that set up Miller's goal, Henke just robbed Deflandre. And they also spotted that Sutton headed off the post after someone had whipped in what they called 'a Stilian Petrov', though I dunno what that is and Sutton never hit any post :D.

They also made no mention of the fact Coupet was off his line for the pk, in fact they played up how the penalty was well struck.

What a bunch of wankers :D.

Back
Top Bottom