1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

Buying a monitor for games - TFT or CRT?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Adonis, 6 July 2006.

1. Adonis

Adonis Guest

Hi,

Right, my old crt monitor that I use for gaming has finally given up on me. Ive had it for donkeys years so it was definatly gonna happen soon.

The thing is Im wondering whether to pick up a TFT instead of a CRT. What bothers me is the response times. Ive tried playing my PS2 through my PC TFT monitor and its awful. Loads of ghosting and blurred imagery.

Ive noticed though theres this new thing written beside many TFT monitors. for eg 8ms response time. So im presuming its got better?

What I really wanted to ask was are CRT monitors still the best for gaming or have TFT caught up? Also, I dont see this '8ms response time' beside CRT monitors, is it because it instant for them?

Cheers.

2. djdoc

djdoc Guest

the lower the MS I think the better the Response Time and the less ghosting/shadowing you are likely to see mate. The thing is them monitors tend to be pricey but worth it.

DJ

3. Adonis

Adonis Guest

Cool, cheers for the info.

Ive seen this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8791576191&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

looks amazing, but is a bit pricey. With 4ms is that the best you can get for TFT?

Saying that is CRT still better?

4. djdoc

djdoc Guest

I actually quite like the look of that and 4ms will be pretty decent I reckon mate.

DJ

5. Adonis

Adonis Guest

It does, but guess what?

I phoned up the guy and spoke to him for a bit. He told me that he was Getting a 2ms Samsung 19inch TFT monitor in tomorrow, and it would be £274 inc next day p&p!

So I took it! Should have it by Saturday/Monday :)

Mods can now close the thread, we have a happy ending :)

6. djdoc

djdoc Guest

Fantastic! I was about to say mate if you hang on a little while something better would turn up :)

DJ

7. TikTikTikTikTik

TikTikTikTikTik *****

7 August 2004
    Liverpool
    havent had any probs with ghosting and mines an LG with 12ms. It was the older tft's that had this problem, but then new ones (ive had mine for 2 years now, so they arent that new anymore) dont have the problem. 2ms sounds great though, also apparently tft is better for your eyes then crt.

8. djdoc

djdoc Guest

12ms is still decent enough tiktiktiktik. Christ how many tik's did I have to write lol!

DJ

9. studeep

studeep ManUnited academy

29 June 2005
    Uk
    Manchester United
    on that note i was thinking of getting a HDready TV (HDTV), but i am caught up in between a LCD or a Plasma. checked a couple of sites for comparisons in all round "real world performances" and it seems like LCD's are scraping it just about plus its getting cheaper these days :mrgreen:. I really need to know what i will be missing out on if today i go out on ebay and purchase a 32" LCD HDTV (yes i am that rich :p.... joking) instead of a Plasma alternative. thanx in advance for any help :)

EDIT: Actually also how do the above two fair with a CRT HDTV, does anyone know?. thnx again

Last edited: 7 August 2006
  10. TikTikTikTikTik

TikTikTikTikTik *****

7 August 2004
    Liverpool
    You can jst call me tik if you want :lol:

Was reading a comparison of all the hdtv's availeble (crt/lcd/plasma/rear projection) on cnet. Here's the link:

Code:
    http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108443-1.html?tag=ms
    Found it very informative and gives a clear comparison between the tv's and even subversions of types.

11. djdoc

djdoc Guest

If you want my advice mate Id go for plasma, ive had Rear Projection and Plasma and my mates got an LCD and I think to be honest my LG 42" HD plasma is the best 1 overall.

DJ

12. jaygrim

jaygrim TheAllSeeingEye

26 July 2005
    Everywhere.
    Man Utd
    I'm now looking for a hd tv or monitor dunno where to start.

13. well done on gettin that screen m8 :)

14. djdoc

djdoc Guest

jay, depends on size and also on your budget, how much are you looking to spend? my LG 42" HD Plasma cost me £1500 pounds from Currys.co.uk it was more expensive in the Currys Store £1799 they wanted in store.

DJ

15. jaygrim

jaygrim TheAllSeeingEye

26 July 2005
    Everywhere.
    Man Utd
    Nothing like that mate its only for the 360.

16. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Anyone know anything about Viewsonic widescreen monitors? Theyre no more than 200 pounds, 20 inches, and have inbuilt speakers.

17. studeep

studeep ManUnited academy

29 June 2005
    Uk
    Manchester United
    Cheers mate, for a second i thought no-one was going to help me out :lol:, but ye i'm still kinda shakey after reading loads of reviews on the net, LCD are looking to steal it for me but i'm not still quite sure........ what do you think about the difference between them is it quite marginal or is it something you wont really notice if you aren't a telly expert?

18. Chris Davies

Chris Davies At least, I think I am Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    I bought a normal Viewsonic monitor, a friend of mine bought the widescreen version. We both prefer our own - his makes everyone look fat, which I can't stand after playing Pro Evolution with fat players on a widescreen television for years, whereas mine is just a solid, good quality (the sharpness is incredible) monitor.

Depends on what you use it for, I suppose. Internet etc. is great on it, as I'm sure some of the newer games will be, but the older games just look... Wrong.

19. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    PES is not a widescreen game though. For 360 did it still look fat?

20. Chris Davies

Chris Davies At least, I think I am Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    I think it does, he doesn't. Looks exactly the same as PES played on a widescreen television to me, i.e. it just doesn't look right... I suppose it depends on your personal view. If you play PES on a widescreen television (without correcting the aspect ratio) and can stand to play it without thinking throughout each match "they look weird" then it'd be great. If you're like myself, it would just drive you potty. Unless you only play newer games which support widescreen resolutions.