British University Students/Graduates

ooh_harry

League 1
8 July 2005
Fosters home for imaginary friends
Arsenal, Juventus
hey guys,

Not been on for awhile but I was just wondering would coming out of university with a 2:1 be a good thing? I just feel with so many graduates coming out with 2:1s, it just seems like a very very ordinary achievement and only a 1st will guarentee you a good start post university.

Im currently finished all of my exams and I was initially sitting on a very low 1st, would it be a complete disaster to come out with anything less?

thank you

hey guys,

Not been on for awhile but I was just wondering would coming out of university with a 2:1 be a good thing? I just feel with so many graduates coming out with 2:1s, it just seems like a very very ordinary achievement and only a 1st will guarentee you a good start post university.

Im currently finished all of my exams and I was initially sitting on a very low 1st, would it be a complete disaster to come out with anything less?

thank you

It depends what you want to go on and do. If its anything too Brainy then a 1st would help greatly.

I got a 2:2 and I am doing ok 4 years later.

Some employers are just happy you have got a Degree so never ask what you got.

With the Job I have now I just put that I have my Degree and didn't put a 2:2 or anything.

If you are going into something directly related to your degree then the higher your mark the better for you.

I am doing something totally unrelated - so it is a bit different for me.

It depends what you want to go on and do. If its anything too Brainy then a 1st would help greatly.

I got a 2:2 and I am doing ok 4 years later.

Some employers are just happy you have got a Degree so never ask what you got.

With the Job I have now I just put that I have my Degree and didn't put a 2:2 or anything.

If you are going into something directly related to your degree then the higher your mark the better for you.

I am doing something totally unrelated - so it is a bit different for me.

Don't you work at Mc Donalds?

Don't you work at Mc Donalds?

They have a great promotional package actually.

I have been there two years and I now have the responsibility of shaking the Salt on the chips!! they say one day I might make supervisor......One day!! *breaks out in Music - like in a musical at the West End*

I actually have 2 offers. One from cambridge for financial economics and another from LSE for econometrics. both require firsts, so i really dont have much choice or leeway

You just wanted to Gloat didn't you?! - Just get your 1st ;))

lol im not actually gloating and i really didnt mean it like that.

at the moment my plan is to take a year out and perhaps travel or do a language next year but i need to know how i would stand coming out with a 2:1 or a 1st

in my opinion, a healthy dose of common sense is a more valuable commodity in today's society than a 1st class degree...

Totally depends what you want to do. A handful of top jobs will require a 1st, but you'd know about it if you were applying for one of those.

I got a 2:1 in 2004, it's got me the job I wanted. It wasn't the be all and end all, but I like to think it got my foot in the door. More than ever, these days experience is what will set you apart, so make sure you get at least a month or two on your CV. I actually started as work exp in my job. 3 years later, I'm still here :-pp

Last edited:
hey guys,

thank you

What do you want to go into?

If its top end city jobs, 2:1 is fine :)

A good degree with plenty of extra curricular activities is what you need.

Some peeps recommend going for a job first before further study. I generally tend to agree with that - but getting a masters from a good uni will definitely do no harm.

If you want to go into Quants in IB, then you'll need at least a masters or a PhD.

Back
Top Bottom