Bobby Robson - RIP

Its so stupid how fragile we are as human beings...
Quite sad to see such historic men go.

RIP Bobby Robson.

R.I.P. Bobby Robson

Football legend Robson dies at 76

Former England manager Sir Bobby Robson has died at the age of 76, following a long battle with cancer.

Robson will be best remembered on the international stage for leading England to the 1990 World Cup semi-final.

At club level, he cut his managerial teeth at Fulham before establishing his credentials at Ipswich where he won the FA Cup and Uefa Cup in a 13-year stay.

Spells at PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, Porto and Barcelona followed before managing at Newcastle.

Robson was at St James' Park for a charity match earlier this week.

An England side, featuring Alan Shearer and several members of the 1990 World Cup squad including Paul Gascoigne and Peter Shilton, beat a Germany team 3-2.

The game was a repeat of the 1990 World Cup semi-final when England, managed by Sir Bobby, lost on penalties.

A statement issued on behalf of his family said: "It is with great sadness that it has been announced today that Sir Bobby Robson has lost his long and courageous battle with cancer.

"He died very peacefully this morning (Friday) at his home in County Durham with his wife and family beside him.

"Sir Bobby's funeral will be private and for family members only.

"A thanksgiving service in celebration of Sir Bobby's life will be held at a later date for his many friends and colleagues.

"Lady Robson and the family would very much appreciate it if their privacy could be respected at this difficult time."

As a player, Robson was a key member of the Fulham and West Brom team during the 1950s and 1960s and also won 20 caps for England.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8177945.stm

Damn, football legend. R.I.P. Bobby!

True football legend and a great man. I met him once when I was a kid and I remember that he was so down to earth. He stopped for an autograph (he was England Manager at the time) and from that moment on I was a fan.

LEGEND

One of the few Gentleman in football. Never had a bad word about anyone.

RIP Bob

I think he was liked by everyone, he was great and 1990 was a great World cup.

Not many left in football like him, unfortunately.

Such sad, but not unexpected news.

Although I'm not old enough to remember, Sir Bobby was the greatest manager my team ever had. He built Ipswich from a small rural club into one of England's best teams in the 70's and early 80's and won an FA Cup and UEFA Cup, as well as coming close to winning the title on a few occasions. We will never achieve this kind of success again, I'm sure, and all Ipswich fans are eternally grateful for the 12 years service he gave us.

Rest in Peace Sir Bobby Robson.

True legend of the sport, Arguably the best English manager who showed how good he was all around the world.

R.I.P. Sir Bobby

RIP Bobby - I can't help but think the FA missed a trick with Bobby - they should have made him technical adviser for life. Look at his record around European clubs and with a small club from the Home Counties.

As said above - not a bad word about anyone - you can't do better than that!

A true gentleman and great football manager, very sad to hear of his passing.

RIP Sir Bobby :(

One of the few men let alone managers you couldn't say a bad word about.

One of the best English managers of all time, for different reasons. Legend.

RIP Bobby.

R.I.P Bobby, ive never heard a bad word said against him, true Gentlemen and hero in english Football

A gentlemen. There are few people like him, and we will miss him.

He only stayed one year in barcelona (with mourinho), and he arrived just after Cruyff was sacked. There were difficult times and the press, at the beggining was hard on him. He seemed someone out of place, from another time.

And guess what. At the end of the season, everyone loved him, everyone respected him and he taught a lesson to the "environment" forces of the club (mainly the press and politicians). Everytime he came again to the city people would stop by him to cheer him.

That lesson was priceless. We need more people like him in football to regain a little of the nobility of the sport.

RIP Bobby, you're a legend.

PS: He taught Ronaldo not to dive. He said to him he had to stand up and continue playing. I wish someone taught that to most of nowadays players.

Legend. One of the few people that justifies the "Sir" label.

He had so much passion for football and never had a bad word to say about a club and was always complimentary of others.

I loved to hear his passion whenever he spoke about football.

One of the few men in football who was universally liked!

R.I.P you will be sorely missed Sir Bobby

Back
Top Bottom