Bio Shock Infinite

Found it quite boring. The narrative is weak, shooting and fighting feels terrible, some of the game mechanics are dated (history through abandoned audio files in the map? Pffff it's too cheap).

The powers are uninspired and weapons are poor. The only redeeming quality of this game is the excellent art design and the inmense amount of creativity put in the environments. But other than this is an extremely dumb game where you don't even die, again....

By the way, I find the script quite cheap and pretentious.

Found it quite boring. The narrative is weak, shooting and fighting feels terrible, some of the game mechanics are dated (history through abandoned audio files in the map? Pffff it's too cheap).

The powers are uninspired and weapons are poor. The only redeeming quality of this game is the excellent art design and the inmense amount of creativity put in the environments. But other than this is an extremely dumb game where you don't even die, again....

By the way, I find the script quite cheap and pretentious.

i am glad someone mentioned these issues. i feel the same as you and quite franly i had the same feeling for the original one.

I thought I'd heard in the Giantbomb quicklook this was an option you could turn off?

Hmm well not something I've seen after looking a couple of times in the settings, playing on the hardest level with aim assist and the like turned off (as well as all of the flashing indicators for what you should search/collect etc).

Ive Noticed a few inconsistencies in the script. Basically things like you and the girl will talk about something and then a minute later you'll have a cut scene with the same and the characters act shocked.

I finished it this afternoon and .. It had its moments but its nothing amazing like the reviews made it sound like.

Also .. The early trailers showed the girl being grabbed by that robot bird in a street but that never happens! That video gave me the impression the whole game would be full of cat and mouse moments but no. Big disappointment.

Checked all the settings and hitmarkers can't be disabled, really disappointing :(

And yeah I'm not feeling the game all that much TBH, gameplay is already becoming monotonous.

Found a fix for it:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/8870/discussions/0/828934724036115492/

Guide to remove the Hitmarkers when you hit an enemy
C:\Users\UserName\Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config

Select the file XGame.ini, search for ''Hit''

You'll get this line...
HitTargetAnimationFrameName=Hitmarker

Change the line for...
HitTargetAnimationFrameName=Normal

Enjoy the gunplay as it is.
You can also put Hide instead to remove the crosshair...

Played a bunch more today and have to say it's a very average game, essentially it's just one tedious boss battle after another with crappy shooting mechanics and no cover system, boring and frustrating, easily the most over hyped game I've ever played, definitely won't be playing the first two so if anyone wants to buy the Steam codes let me know. The setting, story and visual style are nice but the core gameplay is just dull, linear arcade shooter with mind numbingly monotonous boss battles.

I'm playing this at the moment and so far I agree with Placebo, it's crazily overrated. Bioshock 1 & 2 are two of my favourite ever games but this just feels 'off' somehow. Like it looks and sounds like a Bioshock game but doesn't feel like one.

I also find it odd how the first games explain plasmids but this doesn't, even though it's in a totally different works to the other two.

I guess the first two games get away with being linear due to the dark underwater style labyrinths but the airy, open nature to this feels like it's just a series of interconnecting shoot-out areas connected by sky rails or footpaths. It's really jarring.

Add to that, the moral dilemma of the first game in deciding to save the girls or sacrifice them for more power is totally missing. I thought it'd have some kind of mechanic like this but it seems very basic so far. Run, shoot, auto chat with Elizabeth from time to time, rinse and repeat.

I'll play to the end as it's a gorgeous game with stunning art style, and the interactions with Elizabeth are cool, but I'm kinda shocked at just how basic and kinda retro the game feels.

Last edited:
Yeah, the first game had different endings based on which moral path you chose - kindness or power. It was one of the game's standout features at the time. This just feels like a generic shooter with the art style being the only thing to distinguish it.

Did you play Bioshock at all, Placebo? Even thought its old now, I'd still give it a whirl. It's as linear as this but just doesn't feel like it, plus the Big Daddies and underwater setting made it awesome. This just kinda feels, well, lazy to be honest. Not a single new feature I can think of barring being able to look down your gun sights and skyrails. That's it.

No I didn't play the first two, got them as part of the purchase of the third but the third has put me off from wanting to play them, didn't even activate the keys in Steam.

I enjoyed Bioshock 2. At least that had the addition of playing as a Big Daddy.

This is getting better the further I progress but there's still nothing new at all.

i am glad someone mentioned these issues. i feel the same as you and quite franly i had the same feeling for the original one.

I didnt get into bs1 so i guess i should give this a miss? looks nice though

same dishonered looked nice but meh i got bored

Finished it tonight, the more you play it the better it gets. The game gets darker in tone and graphically too, once you get all the vigors to play with then it becomes a lot more fun. Not to everyone's tastes, but there you go.

I do have to mention the story though. Without saying anything, it features the most mind-bendingly brilliant story in a game I've ever played. The final 25 minutes is pure brilliance. What a stunning, sad, intelligent end to a game.

It's a fantastic story with interesting characters set in a stunning environment. I loved this game from start to finish, even if the combat let it down in parts.

I'm gona play it through a second time at some point just to notice all the little pointers throughout the game as to what was really going on. Love doing that with movies and this would be just the same.

For me the game is brilliant, really don´t understand why so negatives here. It have an excelent atmosphere and story, much better than ANY hollywood movie nowadays (not that it means much :P ). Have good graphics, a solid and fun gameplay (if you use the variety of powers depending on the situation).

I know it´s totally linear but i really don´t mind because once you get into the story you don´t want to stop playing it.

Back
Top Bottom