Beyond: Two Souls

ss4_goku

Premiership
26 May 2004
Hong Kong / Toronto
Man Utd
What do you guys think of this game? When I first saw the poster of it, I thought it was a sequel to Last of Us because the girl, this time, is actually Ellen Page.

It seems quite interesting but I'm not sure exactly how it is played. It seems cinematic and all you do is watch and do reflexes or something...anyone want to enlighten me on the "controls"?? I'm thinking should I get this or not...

http://us.playstation.com/games/beyond-two-souls-ps3.html

http://beyondps3.com/

YouTube - BEYOND: Two Souls Tribeca Trailer

Did you play Heavy rain? If not, it was one of the best games this generation. Or at least one of the most innovative and interesting to play. Granted, sometimes it may seem less interactive than usual, but it has a strong emphasis on the scirpt, the characters and narrative subtelties.

I loved Heavy Rain (and Nomad soul and Indigo Prophecy years ago) and I have the feeling I will love this one as well.

From what I've read about the controls. It's all done on the right stick. So if someone tries to hit you, the game slows and you have a moment to move the stick. There's no right or wrong in terms of failing a scene, just different outcomes. So you might move the stick up and the character blocks the punch, but if you moved it down you might duck the punch and then have a chance to counter. But then again down could be the worse choice there and you pushing down makes you attempt to duck but get caught with an uppercut sending you off on a slightly different scene to others

Oh..I see, never really tried Heavy Rain, thus, not too sure what it would've been like. I guess I should give this a try...but most likely, I'll get the worst outcome possible...haha

Jaygrim, was there another thread?? I'm so sorry, didn't see it when i made this, I'm getting blind....

Played the demo yday.This game will be on top of my favorites.Sadly there's no digital download ,so I won't be playing it on release day.

quite mixed review. Regardless, I am going to let the game be out for a while, see how the reviews and comments are first before I try. As I didn't play Heavy Rain, this style of gaming is very new to me.

It happened the same with Heavy Rain and I thought it was one of the most important games/experiences in years. So, I'm pretty sure I will love it and people who didn't like Heavy Rain won't like this one at all.

Part of the problem is thinking about it only as a game. To me it's something different, an emotional experience and the story of some characters.

One of my housemates has this game already and I've seen/played the first 3-4 hours of it.

I loved Heavy Rain, agree with drekkard that it was one of the finest character-driven stories in any video game with your decisions seeming to affect a lot - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This game however is nowhere near it at all in that department - the story is all over the place chronologically and because of all the fantasy/supernatural stuff I find it hard to relate to the emotions/fears the characters have in the same way as Heavy Rain. It also seems more like you don't have a say in what happens apart from the obvious Mass Effect style "good or bad choice" moments - any gameplay simply seems like a chore to advance to the next cutscene, especially the combat which is very poor now... Heavy Rain's quick-time events had you on the edge of your seat, properly feeling the tension... Now you pretty much just flick the stick in the direction of movement in a slo-mo scene.

Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe give great performances and visually it's probably the best thing on this generation, but other than that it's nothing special, the plot is average at best...

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished the game today and working on the platinum.

All in all a great emotional rollercoaster of an experience. I'm eager to play it again to see all of the alternate endings. I can agree that there is more handholding than Heavy Rain and you aren't really punished for missing combos. It is definitely more simplified, focusing instead on involving you in the storytelling as the story unfolds. The story, acting and soundtrack all add up to an amazing experience.

A solid 9/10.

Probably best, unless I change my mind big style.

Souped up Darkness for me, which I never really enjoyed too much either.

Can't say I'm digging it too much, although admittedly I'm only a few hours into the game, but certainly whilst I enjoyed Heavy Rain which for me was a good game, but not much more ,this is nowhere near as good.

FD

Back
Top Bottom