Best way to break down defence in PES2012

mr5973

League 2
25 April 2002
Vienna, Austria
England
hello,

as there is a new defence system in PES2012, I was wondering what you people do to break down the opposite defence. the defence in PES2012 is very strong as mostly there are at least 6 men always gathering around their own box.

i use teammate controll (R3) and Pass&Move (R2) a lot. also stoping (R1) and delaying the attack sideways (R2) work for me.

dribbling seems useless to me, does anyone of you use dribbling to create chances? if so, how? what do you do to break down defences and create chances?

thanks

drive-tank-001.jpg

Jimmy I came in here expecting to see some in depth analysis from yourself instead I get a fucking tank haha.

Anyway some tips from my self, playing the cpu on superstar

- Create space, using manual player movement with RS can be great to create pockets of space using your player runs as decoys.

- the same goes for using the other trigger run options, pass and move is a great way disrupt the cpu's positioning

- Possession and patience, giving the ball away in midfield can be suicidal as in real life, don't be afraid to pass the ball back. Patient possession will force the cpu to lose shape and will open up opportunities.

- DO NOT be afraid to change tactics, the game offers you many tools to counteract the AI. Raise attack level when you feel the momentum is on your side.

- RT close control is great for first touches, tapping RT when your receive the ball will see your player take the ball away from the opposing defender. The way your player controls the ball will of course depend on player stats and what you do with the pad. Can be great for controlling high balls on the chest and then hitting a volley.

- Dont let increased response times fool you, dribbling has as much depth as last year, make use of the sensitivities of the analog, subtle touches of the analaog with timed presses of RT can work wonders as I'm sure jimmy will adhere to.

Last edited:
Jimmy I came in here expecting to see some in depth analysis from yourself instead I get a fucking tank haha.

Anyway some tips from my self, playing the cpu on superstar

- Create space, using manual player movement with RS can be great to create pockets of space using your player runs as decoys.

- the same goes for using the other trigger run options, pass and move is a great way disrupt the cpu's positioning

- Possession and patience, giving the ball away in midfield can be suicidal as in real life, don't be afraid to pass the ball back. Patient possession will force the cpu to lose shape and will open up opportunities.

- DO NOT be afraid to change tactics, the game offers you many tools to counteract the AI. Raise attack level when you feel the momentum is on your side.

I was going to come back to it after someone had posted to be honest:LOL: But you've nailed it there anyway bud. That's exactly what I do. The changing of the Presets gives you so much when it's done at the right time. And the reason for it is the CPU gets a little confused as players switch positions. It always leaves gaps. I also tend to hold possession in midfield. The way the CPU defends means that for the most part they will hound you in two's. Keeping possession and drawing them in to one-side of the pitch, can then open up space to switch to the alternate flank. Whether that be quick passes along the deck or one whipped over in the air.

R3 is a great button to trigger runs for the sole purpose of taking a marker out of the game and opening up space. As is R2 after the pass. I use this quite a bit in my opponents half, I dont always feed the runner, but like I have said before, use him by not using him. Patience is everything though, like real football, if you try to force it, it wont work for the majority of the time. Patience and build-up, and use your best passer to pick that final pass. That's a must.

RT first touch is fantastic this year as well, just tapping it when you receive the ball can result in some wonderful subtle first touches from your player that can result in the opposing defender looking rather silly.

I also like to mix up the speed of my passing game, slow passing and then suddenly raising the tempo with quick dynamic passing can work wonders against cpu but especially human players.

And yeh, patience truly is a virtue in pes 2012.

Amen to that. I've scored a goal online using the R2 touch to control a high ball to take it away from the defender. Maybe I'll post it later. :)

Amen to that. I've scored a goal online using the R2 touch to control a high ball to take it away from the defender. Maybe I'll post it later. :)

It's my favourite move on PES that, I love an R2 controlled turn from the air. So subtle, yet so effective, and soooooo Dennis. :)

YouTube - Klose.avi

Here you go. I scored this when playing online against a like-minded player. Watch how Klose brings the ball down, turns, and unleashes a shot into the corner. And yes, I chose that corner :D.

This is one example of how R2 is useful, to get yourself that extra space away from the defender.

Last edited:
YouTube - Klose.avi

Here you go. I scored this when playing online against a like-minded player. Watch how Klose brings the ball down, turns, and unleashes a shot into the corner. And yes, I chose that corner :D.

This is one example of how R2 is useful, to get yourself that extra space away from the defender.

Oooooooh.... That's just poetry in perpetual motion Sir. :TU:

It was a beauty, took it like D'Alessandro, fucking different class. :)

Edit - That wasnt an R2 shot though was it, it didnt look like it anyway. It sat up to be smashed, and boy, didnt he just oblige. :WOOT:

Last edited:
It was a beauty, took it like D'Alessandro, fucking different class. :)

Edit - That wasnt an R2 shot though was it, it didnt look like it anyway. It sat up to be smashed, and boy, didnt he just oblige. :WOOT:

Nope it wasn't. The control was R2, gave him that space to just smash it. :SMUG:

Zoran Tosic. That's my answer. This years D'Alessandro. Fact.

My top scorer in my Catania Master League game. Playing him on the right hand side, have him cutting in. Great technique, good finisher.

From my experience on Top Player Master League I think the answer varies.

There are 4 main ways to score for me:

1- Wings: this is the one that will work most frequently, use the full backs after your winger pulls the defender with him and opens space.

2- Corners: Seldom works, but another one.

3- Long Shots: USe patient passes and try to open up some space outside the box for one of your midfielders to be able to run onto the ball and score. Useful when nothing else works.

4- Through Passes: This is the one I like scoring the most, especially if it is from a ball I stole in midfield. Mind you scoring one on one is not that easy, you have to be able to know when to use NORMAL/LOB/PLACED shots and shoot timing is also important.
Key is to be able to catch them on the offence so that there is space. Almost impossible to do against set defences.

Back
Top Bottom