Best FIFA or PES for you

Which is the best football game FIFA or PES for you (you can choose 1 PES and 1 FIFA game)

• FIFA 14

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • FIFA 15

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • FIFA 16

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • FIFA 17

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • FIFA 18

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • FIFA 19

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • PES 2015

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • PES 2016

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PES 2017

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • PES 2018

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • PES 2019

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • PES 2021

Votes: 34 51.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Falcao_9

League 1
29 August 2013
Guys if you go to live in the moon and someone tell you that you have a choice to choose only one football game for playing... Vote your choice...

I would have to agree and say Fifa 16 is the best ea game (although 14 & 15 was good on the way to 16). I would be happy with Pes2021 but only because

what the game play modders have done for it. If it was a vanilla version then..No. I would like to think i could have a ps2 with pes6 though. :P

I created the poll because we are thinking with friends to play all the same game so it will be helpful if you vote...
On Youtube we found some videos and the best PES game is PES 2017 and the best FIFA is FIFA 14... For these youtubers FIFA 16 was boring i dont know why....PES 6 and PES 5 are the best football games ever, but they are too old.... <3

I would have to agree and say Fifa 16 is the best ea game (although 14 & 15 was good on the way to 16). I would be happy with Pes2021 but only because

what the game play modders have done for it. If it was a vanilla version then..No. I would like to think i could have a ps2 with pes6 though. :P
PES 2021 modded, is the most definitive and realistic encyclopedia of current football in terms of content. The ball physics are arguably the best ever seen in a football game and there are times when it can feel like anything can truly happen.

However, I wouldn't want to play it as my only resort for a football game because the AI is a huge letdown from earlier versions. 2017-2019 had the best, most unpredictable, and most realistic AI on FOX.

PES 2021's matches against the COM usually devolve into teams intentionally passing it around the back 10 times before punting a random under-hit long pass and playing on Superstar gives you more aggressive direct AI but as the consequence of your team being handicapped with sluggish unresponsive movement, slow passes & shots, and clumsy players.

I created the poll because we are thinking with friends to play all the same game so it will be helpful if you vote...
On Youtube we found some videos and the best PES game is PES 2017 and the best FIFA is FIFA 14... For these youtubers FIFA 16 was boring i dont know why....PES 6 and PES 5 are the best football games ever, but they are too old.... <3
I think i may feel differently because at the time, i was using @Chris Davies slider settings.
This as i remember made this very sim like. So yeah maybe a bit like 2021 in as "out of the box" they arent has good. But at least EA got it right in allowing the changes to be made and well implemented with sliders.

PES 2021's matches against the COM usually devolve into teams intentionally passing it around the back 10 times before punting a random under-hit long pass and playing on Superstar gives you more aggressive direct AI but as the consequence of your team being handicapped with sluggish unresponsive movement, slow passes & shots, and clumsy players.
That is so absolutely nailed-on, Marlon. Absolute perfect description of 2021 IMO, where the AI too often spoils the fun and is some of the worst in the series (all to appease the eSports "skill-gap me bro" fuckers).

It's a great game for taking some awesome-looking videos of, and in multiplayer (with Twiggy's suite of gameplay mods) it can be genuinely astonishing. If you fancy downloading Parsec I'd love a few games with you sometime!

But... Well, put it like this. Essay incoming:

Over the last couple of weeks I've tried to find a Be A Pro / Become a Legend mode I can enjoy. This stemmed from some experiments with FIFA 23 which, as I'd predicted, highlights the state of its AI perfectly. Watch in awe as 20 players stand around doing nothing as two players take it in turns to run and shoot at the goal (with the defenders literally running away from the player on the ball, and keepers pretending they can't even see the ball).

It's shocking, and in all seriousness I recommend checking it out - because IMO it proves that there is simply no AI left in the game, nor representation of players beyond how fast they can run (which entirely dictates how difficult the game is, as modders have proven).

So, I gave it a go on PES 2021, and for all intents and purposes it's a broken game mode there too, IMO. Your teammates do the weirdest, "malfunctiony" things, and trying to dribble when your player is forcibly clunky (often forced to run straight into a defender on an invisible rail) is just not fun in the slightest.

Over the last few days I've played some PES 2013 (both the PS2 and PC versions) and I've been a little bit awestruck at how smooth the game is. After a month or two of strictly modern-games-only, to feel like my team (and my player) has suddenly been taken off the rails a little and be allowed to dribble... To feel like so many more outcomes are possible (other than just "run into man" or "pass ball away ASAP")... It felt like an upgrade, not a downgrade (as it sadly so often does, when going back to the older games).

I'm currently sat at work itching to get back to my career at Vitesse in the Eredivisie, to fight for my place and to level-up my player.

That is so absolutely nailed-on, Marlon. Absolute perfect description of 2021 IMO, where the AI too often spoils the fun and is some of the worst in the series (all to appease the eSports "skill-gap me bro" fuckers).

It's a great game for taking some awesome-looking videos of, and in multiplayer (with Twiggy's suite of gameplay mods) it can be genuinely astonishing. If you fancy downloading Parsec I'd love a few games with you sometime!

Over the last couple of weeks I've tried to find a Be A Pro / Become a Legend mode I can enjoy. This stemmed from some experiments with FIFA 23 which, as I'd predicted, highlights the state of its AI perfectly. Watch in awe as 20 players stand around doing nothing as two players take it in turns to run and shoot at the goal (with the defenders literally running away from the player on the ball, and keepers pretending they can't even see the ball).

It's shocking, and in all seriousness I recommend checking it out - because IMO it proves that there is simply no AI left in the game, nor representation of players beyond how fast they can run (which entirely dictates how difficult the game is, as modders have proven).

So, I gave it a go on PES 2021, and for all intents and purposes it's a broken game mode there too, IMO. Your teammates do the weirdest, "malfunctiony" things, and trying to dribble when your player is forcibly clunky (often forced to run straight into a defender on an invisible rail) is just not fun in the slightest.

Over the last few days I've played some PES 2013 (both the PS2 and PC versions) and I've been a little bit awestruck at how smooth the game is. After a month or two of strictly modern-games-only, to feel like my team (and my player) has suddenly been taken off the rails a little and be allowed to dribble... To feel like so many more outcomes are possible (other than just "run into man" or "pass ball away ASAP")... It felt like an upgrade, not a downgrade (as it sadly so often does, when going back to the older games).

I'm currently sat at work itching to get back to my career at Vitesse in the Eredivisie, to fight for my place and to level-up my player.
It's shocking we need to go back 7,10 or more years to find enjoyable football games. I might try again PES 2013. Currently I have installed FIFA 16 and the past week I installed FIFA 17 which is also a good game imo. At least your cpu teammates defend on their own in these games and there aren't any significant positional issues.

It's shocking we need to go back 7,10 or more years to find enjoyable football games. I might try again PES 2013. Currently I have installed FIFA 16 and the past week I installed FIFA 17 which is also a good game imo. At least your cpu teammates defend on their own in these games and there aren't any significant positional issues.
I think FIFA 17 was the game I had my longest career-mode game on in the "modern era" by a long stretch, purely because teams really felt different to play against based on their ability (where you'd get hammered by teams in the league above you, but hammer the teams in the league below you).

At the time I enjoyed it even more than 16, but now I struggle to enjoy it because it feels a bit too stiff.

I think FIFA 17 was the game I had my longest career-mode game on in the "modern era" by a long stretch, purely because teams really felt different to play against based on their ability (where you'd get hammered by teams in the league above you, but hammer the teams in the league below you).

At the time I enjoyed it even more than 16, but now I struggle to enjoy it because it feels a bit too stiff.
True, it feels a bit stiff but the fact is that is 1000x times better game than FIFA 23. Even the graphics are better which is absolutely bonkers.

PES 2021 is just far too tedious after a while, even the modded versions for my tastes. It's slow for the sake of it at times. Football Life 23 or whatever its called is pretty good but again, gets boring very quickly as the CPU is just a chore to play against.

Whereas I can load up an old PES 5 save and play for hours. I concluded to myself a while ago now that I simply don't enjoy modern football gaming anymore.

FIFA 14 on PS4 is still lightyears ahead of anything EA have done since from an AI perspective. Such a good game - it just looks its age now and the player models are laughably bad.

edit: But the player models on FIFA 15 are...quite something :LOL:

Attachments

• BvjkscnIMAAiJ4Y.png
    BvjkscnIMAAiJ4Y.png
    240.9 KB · Views: 42

Yeah, I'd be up for that. This game comes alive with human v human gameplay. I'll be free next week so I'll give you a DM to see when we're both available!

I've really been trying to love FIFA 23 and there's only so much those gameplay mods can do. While they help condense the players on the pitch somewhat and help encourage things to get a bit more creative...

I just cannot tolerate a game that is so fucking defiant in the face of such basic things. I'm just not having fun with it and it's stress-inducing to play. It's dumb beyond comprehension that the second an attacker receives the ball, the nearest defending player to him immediately spins around and runs away. No one is allowed to encroach on the ball carrier 10-yard ring of immunity. You're constantly wrestling with the controls and once you've disengaged your defender from this stupid daydream lock they're in and the ball carrier has had his allowance of time to decide what he wants to do, Only 1 player is allowed to press.

It just leads to this "take it turns" back and forth and no real skill in reading and reacting to the play as you should be.

Don't even get me started on the passing, It seems to be utterly random. There's so such thing as context or body positioning on this as we know players will hit powerful passes even if their limbs make no sense, yet there are times when you've got the aforementioned time and space, and yet your player will just hit an inexplicable under-hit pass straight into a defender. Through passes also never actually go into space between defenders where you want them and always seem to be driven into defenders' feet.

It's such an unsatisfying experience and ultimately, a football game shouldn't feel so frustrating. There's justification yet it's deliberately designed to be an unproductive botch fest.

It's like driving a car where you steer left and you end up reversing entirely.

Yeah PES 2021 also has these issues where you're not allowed to express yourself or try things, there's no agility or flair here. You get the ball to Messi or Neymar and they're no less sluggish than Maguire. They're like steering ships and by the time you've inputted your direction, the defender chains to you and triggers that shitty shielding lock animation and eventually just absorbs the ball from you. So there's no reward for trying anything else to score other than running down the wing and ping in a cross or passing straight to a striker's feet, turning slightly to the side and shooting.

PES 2017 is my favorite out of the box. The playability (and replayability) of it is incredible. No other sports game has come close to me in terms of sheer fun factor and it remains in my very short list of favorite games of all time (my other games on this list are strategy, city simulators, or the world of retrogaming). PES 2017 was the first PES I played and it remains, to this day, my absolute top. And the funny part is: It's really tough to explain exactly why. PES 2017 just FEELS right to me, even it is more action-based than other modern PES.

But here's the thing: PES 2021 could take the top spot with the newest gameplay mods. The mods are insanely varied when it comes to style, CPU behavior, ball physics, you name it. You like slower, more tactical, thoughfful and physical gameplay? Take one of Sensei @Holland's brilliant mods. You like a bit more dynamic style, unpredictable, with dribbling freedom? Take your pick (right now I am really enjoying @Kolesnikcr7's Poltergeist EXE by Alex + Liberty 4.1 dt18 - @Marlon Anthony you might want to check this one for more CPU attacking variety). and there's everything in between. Like I've said before, modders are continuing to work on PES 2021 gameplay. Efootball's neglect of offline gamers in this sense, has been a blessing in disguise: It has enabled more and more modding work to continue on PES 2021 (just take a look at the modding gameplay section, it's blazin!), and I really think the sky is the limit. In terms of the difficulty, PES 2021 Superstar really seems like a great balance between challenging and fair, and in terms of speed, I've always enjoyed slower football games anyway.

FIFA 14 remains my favorite FIFA of all time, even the PC version which doesn't have the same graphics as consoles (graphics are important, but secondary to me), the gameplay seems the most balanced. (A caveat: I do like to use Operation Sports' sliders, I think they make a massive difference + moddingway patches). But definitely the ones I played the most with my friends back in the day are FIFA RTWC 98 and FIFA 2003 on N64 and PS2, the ones that bring the most memories! (Korea-Nigeria matches, Baggio's Brescia in 2003) Nostalgia, true nostalgia hits hard with these games. :)

Important note: PES 5 and PES 6 are not on this thread's list, so I didn't count them. But the impressive quallity of these games is beyond classic.
They are absolutely legendary.

Last edited:
FIFA 14 on PS4/Xbox One is up there. FIFA 15 is a very fun game to play with its attack - in fact - I'll say FIFA 15 to me is what some say FIFA 17 is. That is, Some say 17 is the last good/playable/decent FIFA - reason?: The varied attack and how AI behaves in attack.
Well - I don't like 17 at all. The pace of the game, players - everything is so fast and just attack oriented there's no balance. Where 15 has good movement, in AI , Attack , and perhaps not the most amazing in defense, but it has a Midfield to the game. Also the Goalkeepers are not too bad (unlike other FIFAs).

FIFA 16 is definitely the best on Consoles though, the AI and the overall feel to the game is just. It feels like Football with both arcadey and yet Simultaneous feel. It has the most realistic scorelines vanilla even with no sliders and just slowing down the Game Speed. Although yeah, I do change the sliders alot for pass/shoot/sprint seed. It also has a really nice Grass , like one of the best grass in FIFAs, along with FIFA 11.

And well 11 is the one missing here. It's my favourite FIFA probably. Unfortunately it just doesn't exist in a digital or physical form. Played it couple times on my older laptop since there was an ISO a guy had found - regardless it wasn't a clean version - it was lets say the forbidden word: But grass aside, 11 just has the best gameplay. It's surprising a game from 2010 didn't ever feel stiff to me and felt so smooth in attacking and defending. And obviously the AI is good

For PES , I like PES 5 More than 6. I really love PES 6's mods like the 2013-14 Mod by Phoenix and more.. but the gameplay (even with different gameplay mods) just feels a bit too limited to me. 5 is more free flowing to me, so I think thats the best of the 2.

But on this list. PES 2013 probably takes it - although I couldn't bring myself to like the really floaty ball , it felt like kicking a pillow. PES 2017 is also up there after it since it had this midfield battle and game (PC) that I didn't see in PES 2021. And the first 2 months of PES 2021 before the first datapack was a really solid game. With more DPs by the end, PES 2021 just felt boring. Although I've never tried it on PC but I plan to some day because all the Mods and stuff like Football Life 2023 seem to totally change the entire thing with that game. Also to talk about Grass again - PES 2019 has the best grass out of all PES games to me. It's Green and not Yellow like 20/21. And its the right amount of Green - whereas 2017 and 2018 grass looked a bit pale as if it had a loss of chlorophyll.

PES 2015 is fun - a bit too much fun honestly - I feel like the year where FIFA and PES were most similar in terms of experience was 2015. Both games are fun , but honestly PES is definitely the one with more bugs and a bit on rails feeling - where as on FIFA 15 you could pretty much slow the entire game down and play almost like a real football game. Also.. FIFA 15 has good grass too (Talked way too much about Grass here)

Pes 5 and 6 you can always drop back into. Thats the problem with Fifa etc now playing the CPU just feels like bullshit waiting to happen. IF you concede on the fifa games (ps3 Era) or Ps2 Pes it feels fair if that makes sense.

If the creators find the way to put pes 2011 or pes 2021 ball physics to PES 2013 and PES 2014-21 goalkeeper animations then the PES 2013 will be the perfect PES...

The ball physics of PES 2013 are the worst ball physics ever...

PES 2013 needs better ball physics + better realistic goalkeeper animations...

All of the FIFA games need better player models in gameplay view + better off-the-ball running animations...

I don't see PS2 PES 2008 in the list nor PES 5. :(
For FIFA games, I don't see FIFA 13. :(

So my choices would be PES 2015 and FIFA 16 given the restricted list.

The ball physics of PES 2013 are the worst ball physics ever...
You can always use Jenkey's gameplay tool to modify the ball physics of PES 2013. It's not compatible with all patches, but it's still a useful addition for those who want to change the physics of the game. :TU:

You can always use Jenkey's gameplay tool to modify the ball physics of PES 2013. It's not compatible with all patches, but it's still a useful addition for those who want to change the physics of the game. :TU:
Does it work with the PES JP patch?

PES 2013 is so underrated, it's crazy. It also in my opinion have the best defensive system. Not too AI controlled and not too manual. You actually have to time your tackles well by double tapping the contain button. It's a mixed between FIFA's legacy and tactical defending. And also it has great team AI and you can adjust tons of formation and team tactics to have every team play differently. I remember using @klashman69 tactics a lot during those times.

PES 2013 is so underrated, it's crazy. It also in my opinion have the best defensive system. Not too AI controlled and not too manual. You actually have to time your tackles well by double tapping the contain button. It's a mixed between FIFA's legacy and tactical defending. And also it has great team AI and you can adjust tons of formation and team tactics to have every team play differently. I remember using @klashman69 tactics a lot during those times.
Agree. The defensive system is so satisfying - it's so easy to concede if you don't concentrate, but unlike FIFA's version of the same thing, the defender/attacker balancing is much closer (so you can't just slalom through defenders like they're not even there).

The Player Career mode I've got going in PES 2013 at the minute is so satisfying - it's Dark-Souls-esque, gruelling, and for sure it wouldn't be for everyone. But I'm loving it (when I get time to play it).

You start off as an OVR 55-60 (which is tough on any difficulty) at a random team in your region of choice (Europe, South America or Asia - I got put at Vitesse). After a couple of games I'd received literally about four passes - and then...

...there was a cutscene of the captain putting his arm around me in the dressing room and saying "you've got to settle in before we know what runs you make and you know what runs we make". How cool is that? A little reminder that you're just a kid, and a gameplay hint too.

I'm only getting started for "the reserves" (really they're just regular friendly matches). But you can see and FEEL the difference when you make more sensible, less "schoolboy who wants to score all the time" forward runs - you get the ball more, you get higher ratings, and you earn more trust.

But here's something I truly love... You have an agent, with various attributes. Reputation, negotiation skill, their "connections"... and your salary is almost entirely for agent fees.

You can only afford the basic agent in your initial season. I asked him to find me a regular starting role at an English Championship club. He went away for a week, then came back and said "nobody will answer the phone to me". :LOL:

So here I am, absolutely invested in a game - when I've played barely any "real" first-team games (only a cup match or two, and a league match against the bottom side, as a second-half substitute).

It's amazing just how rewarding it feels to have to work for every pass you receive, let alone every minute you play - rather than the current Player Career modes where you're treated as a superstar (and passed the ball at every opportunity) from your first time on the pitch.

PES 13 was amazing for me personally because of how responsive the controls were. This is exactly what I want and as a result ended up spending hundreds of hours playing this game.

Back
Top Bottom