Best British player ever

gerd

Retired Footballer
8 January 2002
Over the moon
KRC Genk, Spurs
Another useless discussion, but i really like those sort of pub discussions.
Who is the best Brittish football player of all times ?

Stanley Matthews (mythical)
Boby Charlton (World Cup Winner and ECI winner, player in two legendary Man Utd teams and a survivor)
George Best (perhaps the most brilliant, but he wasted it all)
Kevin Keagan (Liverpool icon and successfull in Germany)
Kenny Dalglish (the key player of Liverpool's golden age, Liverpool's all time best player and also played an EC I final with Celtic, but lost it).
Ryan Giggs (lots of domestic titles and two CL titles and still a fantastic player).
Beckham ( the first worldwide football icon)
Wayne Rooney (a key player in a team that won a CL)
or other players like Waddle, Hoddle, Brooking, Law, Johnstone, Charles, Brady, Roy Keane, Gascoigne...

and did i forget to mention players...

What about the goal keepers: Banks, Southall, Shilton, Clemence...

Who is the best foreign player in the Brittish competitions: Henry, Schmeichel, Cantona...

My personal choices:

Ryan Giggs
Neville Southall
Eric Cantona

with a special mention for Liam Brady

Re: Best Brittish player ever

Alan Shearer? Perhaps not the most glamorous nomination but his goalscoring record was superb.

+1

Another (unbiased) name for the hat - Duncan Edwards.
Undoubtedly talented, and was starlets of the Busby Babes, but tragically never got to realise his full potential.

Charlie George :D

Hmmm... Definitely Best.

George Best.

Kenny Dalglish.

John Charles.

Dennis law.

Stanley Mathews.

Gordon Banks.

Bobby Charlton.

Tom Finney.

Duncan Edwards.

The late greats who plied their trades in big boots and on pitches that would be called off every week today, they still made it look easy...

Dave Mackay

Kenny Dalgleish

Maurice Johnston

Alan Shearer

Bobby Moore

Chris Waddle

Dixie Deane or Tom Finney,

Keeper, prob Shilton or Banks

Ardiles was good foreign player, maybe Bergkamp too, Zola as well - all these were great to watch.

No Jimmy Greaves? Bergkamp for foreigner?

Francis Lee and Georgi Kinkladze for me ;)

it is very hard to compare the football stars from past now..since the game chainged..

but i would go -- top 3 would be

Boby Charlton
Kenny Dalglish
Ryan Giggs

if you ask for best player, i take what he achieved, how long he was consistent, if he was good person on and off the field - a rolemodel, wich Best was not...

Rooney is to soon to be on the list AND where is Ian Rush???

best foreign player in UK was Thiery Henry

Last edited:

it is very hard to compare the football stars from past now..since the game chainged..

but i would go -- top 3 would be

Boby Charlton
Kenny Dalglish
Ryan Giggs

if you ask for best player, i take what he achieved, how long he was consistent, if he was good person on and off the field - a rolemodel, wich Best was not...

Rooney is to soon to be on the list AND where is Ian Rush???

best foreign player in UK was Thiery Henry

You can't exclude Best IMO, He would've been numero uno if he had the same attitude as Giggs or Charlton but unfortunetly it wasn't to be. By far the most talented British player ever though.

You can't exclude Best IMO, He would've been numero uno if he had the same attitude as Giggs or Charlton but unfortunetly it wasn't to be. By far the most talented British player ever though.

I don't know if you have ever followed cycling, i guess you do at least know Lance Armstrong. Well in Belgium we had a cyclist with more talent than Armstrong...unfortunately he got addicted to drugs...but he was the most talented cyclist ever...i guess you've never heard about Frank Vandenbroucke...

It's not enough to be the most talented ever if you don't have the right mentality. And i'm old enough to have seen Best "live", he was one of my all-time favourite players, but IMO he's far from the best British player ever.

PS: yes i forgot Bobby Moore, he shoukd have been in my list...just like Dave Mackay

Last edited:

i did not excluded him..he is just not the top 3 best ever player imo.. would have been..but i can not add him above the likes of Dalglish, Giggs and Charlton, becouse they are legends players but also persons..

PS: yes i forgot Bobby Moore, he shoukd have been in my list...just like Dave Mackay

what about Ian Rush, LFC legend?

Thing is Best didn't sustain it, its not like he didn't fulfil his potential cause he did he was as good as anyone in the world at one point from what I hear.*

* Most of what I know is from people who watched him, I've only really seen a couple of matches and a few documentaries.

tbf mate 90% of the people who replied to this thread haven't seen their nominated players play in the flesh either.

These kind of lists are pointless on this kind of site, and i don't mean this to offend anyone, but asking for the best British footballer ever on a website with a demographic of 13-25 year olds (obviously there will be a few over 25 but most are within that range.) makes no sense, if you were to ask for the best 'in your lifetime', then that would certainly be a better poll. In an all-time vote most people will say the obvious ones like Best, Charlton, Dalglish and Moore but can you really honestly say that you think Kenny Dalglish is the best ever British player based on watching a few videos and listening to old fellas?

Well i started this thread by saying that this is a useless discussion (as is 95% of the discussion on internet forums).
I am and "old fellow" who happens to have seem Best, Dalglish and Bobby Moore...albeit as a child.
What "disappointments" me is that Man Utd fans think a Man Utd is the best ever and Liverpool fans think it's a Liverpool player (etcetera)...very objective.

tbf mate 90% of the people who replied to this thread haven't seen their nominated players play in the flesh either.

These kind of lists are pointless on this kind of site, and i don't mean this to offend anyone, but asking for the best British footballer ever on a website with a demographic of 13-25 year olds (obviously there will be a few over 25 but most are within that range.) makes no sense, if you were to ask for the best 'in your lifetime', then that would certainly be a better poll. In an all-time vote most people will say the obvious ones like Best, Charlton, Dalglish and Moore but can you really honestly say that you think Kenny Dalglish is the best ever British player based on watching a few videos and listening to old fellas?

Craig Bellamy.

Well i started this thread by saying that this is a useless discussion (as is 95% of the discussion on internet forums).
I am and "old fellow" who happens to have seem Best, Dalglish and Bobby Moore...albeit as a child.
What "disappointments" me is that Man Utd fans think a Man Utd is the best ever and Liverpool fans think it's a Liverpool player (etcetera)...very objective.

That's largely down to who we watch the most. It's hard to have an opinion of a player you've hardly seen. For example, most educated and loyal Man Utd fans will have seen plenty of videos of George Best and Bobby Charlton and will have seen a lot of Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Eric Cantona live but would probably not have seen a lot of Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Sounness or Roger Hunt, obviously it's different for more recent players as videos are readily available and highlights of every match are available.

As a Liverpool fan i've never sat and watched a classic Man Utd match that didn't involve Liverpool as their opponents so i haven't got much of an opinion of their players pre-1990ish, i have a pretty good opinion of their players from the 90's and 00's though simply because i've watched them live.

Again, i didn't mean to put the thread down or anything, but this forum and it's demographic doesn't really lend itself to an 'all-time' list.

That has nothing to do with demographics, but with you could call (with a pompous term) a lack of general football culture, i.e. only being interested in the present and the team you support...that way, you miss a lot...

A question, will you still watch the CL now that Liverpool aren't in it anymore ?

Fans of small team have that advantage, their team usually does not participate in international football, so they have an unbiased point of view.

I know he's not a 'legend', but what do the majority of English fans see in Beckham? Not necessarily his status in history, but as a footballer...

Brilliant player, Wasn't the most talented but made the most of what he had. May not be a Legend now but im sure he will be when he hangs it up.

anyone who watched beckham help Madrid to that title in la liga, know that he is a brilliant brilliant footballer... he was fucking incredible in that unbelievable run

Back
Top Bottom