Backbreaker

Re: New Football Game, "Backbreaker". Terrific Physics Engine.

So this is going to actually be released now, finally.

Looks interesting, just to see how Euphoria works in a sports game if nothing else. I hope it's not just a one trick pony and actually plays a good game of football. Shame it's unlicensed (damn EA).

Why damn EA? It's not like EA sets the rules for how the licensing works.

I'm only interested in this because of Euphoria. The game itself looks pretty arcady with that glowing ball and colourful lines.

Why damn EA? It's not like EA sets the rules for how the licensing works.

No, I appreciate that, but they have the financial muscle to outbid any competitor for exclusive licenses - and exclusive licensing is damaging competition in the sports game market.

No, I appreciate that, but they have the financial muscle to outbid any competitor for exclusive licenses - and exclusive licensing is damaging competition in the sports game market.

But if EA didnt have it, someone else would have the exclusive rights.

Its the NFL/NBA/EPL etc fault if anything.

Maybe they "pushed" them into making it exclusive by paying extra...?

Maybe they "pushed" them into making it exclusive by paying extra...?

That's what I think happened because the NFL used to share the licence with the ESPN NFL2K series (which was the much better game compared to Madden). EA must have asked for exclusivity and made it worth the NFL's while because otherwise two income streams from licencing are surely better than one?
Just my thoughts.

They probably pay the total of both incomes.. Plus % off profit made.

I'm obviously just assuming.

Still i wish they used euphoria for a rugby game...it could be the greatest sport game of all time....

We really need a Rugby game on next-gen. There must be a market for it, I mean there's been a few cricket games on this generation and I'm sure it's no bigger than Rugby as a sport.

But, yeah, you're right - this would be ace for a Rugby game.

I am liking the look of this game, its coming out for 30 quid, problem is, it is a Game Exclusive, so may not get that discounted then. Would prob go PS3 version, just cause you know there will be decent downloadable option files, or hopes there will be, but you know the NFL will be wanting to make sure their licence isnt being used anywhere.

Its getting quite good impressions from people. May purchase this on the PS3.

Exactly.

Which the NFL would have refused if they had any integrity.

I disagree, does the EPL have exclusive rights to allow broadcast by a certain tv carrier? Of course. Why? To maximize profit, it is a business like any other. The NFL and NFLPA can charge more to have there product only licensed by one game company. Integrity has nothing to do with it.. its not like allowing exclusive licenses effects the health and welfare of anyone.. this isn't a morality/ethical issue at all. Does it suck for the consumer... yes.. does it make more money for the NFL and NFLPA.. yes.. If i was a stock holder in the NFL and they decided to offer the license to any developer who wanted it and the total amount that all developers paid was less then what EA paid.. I would be pissed....

We really need a Rugby game on next-gen. There must be a market for it, I mean there's been a few cricket games on this generation and I'm sure it's no bigger than Rugby as a sport.

But, yeah, you're right - this would be ace for a Rugby game.

As long as it was Rugby League and not boring union. This engine with the speed and hard hits in Rugby League would be classic.

what kinda camera is that one?? a bit confusing i must say.

Very interested in this, a new approach to things. Physics are quite splendid!

Pretty good! Definate arcade-style gameplay but tons more fun than Madden for it IMO. Love the graphics and the sound, the presentation is pretty nice overall really.

Controls are a bit complicated for the defense. When you switch player and the camera turns, you are lost.

But I love the Tackle alley, great fun.

Bit of a shitty review.

Opening it by basically saying that this game is 'trying to sell us an unlicensed nfl game' is stupid because clearly they're trying to give us a PES style option. What else are they supposed to do? Do nothing because they don't have the license? A silly point to even bring up. Clearly they're aim is to offer us an unlicensed game that lets us add the licence ourselves and then share that save file. A week after release and heck, that 'non licensed game' is suddenly not an issue.

They make it sound more like the point of the game IS all about non licensed football. So that if you want those things... you won;t get it here at all.

Then they say split screen isn't worth the trouble. But what trouble is this? Why is it not worth trying?

And laggy internet? What game doesn't have lag, especially on the first week of release? GTA4 was totally UNPLAYABLE online on the PS3 and yet I never once saw that referenced in reviews for the game.

QB's can't spot the incoming players until it's too late.
How do they do it in real football then? That seems like a very stupid point to make. Basically this game is bad, because its not making the game very easy for you by letting you see everything on a God camera and give you tons of spare time to stand around?

The talk about the tron style outlines... but fail to mention you can turn them off. The review makes it sound like you're stuck with them, so if you hate it.. tough.

They moan about passing, saying you can't see everything on the pitch left and right of you but then the video they have explains how it all works and tells you that you have to use the trigger to concentrate to get a pass or whatever...
[url="http://www.gametrailers.com/v...D | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com
It kind of looks like they were just hammering away at the right stick and hoping the AI would catch for them and when it didn't work like Madden, the game must be shit. from what I've read online passing takes time to get used to if you come from madden but once you get it, you can pass with ease. so who is right? GT or these fans with the game and youtube videos?

They make it sound like the actual gameplay is fun - but the lack of commentary, passing being hard and erm.. the licence which isn't an issue completely ruin the game. No real in depth talk about if the games intense and dramatic... Is the AI good...how easy is it to find plays that break the game, etc. I don't like the idea of the game auto catching for you.. but that's hardly a game breaker for me. This looks more like a BAP style game than a 'control everyone' Madden style game. so lack of commentary and ai helping just adds to that feel.

Bad review.

Last edited:

I love this game. The gameplay is tough when you start out, but after a bit of practice it's REALLY fun and addictive. It's all about timing, reading you field and finding the open man on the offense. Whilst defending requires an equal amount of skill to break away from your blockers and tackle the man with the ball or provide that much needed backbone to the defensive line. It teaches you think like an American Football player. Sure, the tactics are quite stripped down, the career mode needs a little more depth and there's a lack of licences and recognisable individuals (lack of individuality?), but, on the pitch it sounds fantastic, the Euphoria engine is a dream and it feels genuine.

This is the closest thing I've played in recent years to a proper American Football simulation. They've nailed Be a Pro A.Football.

I wouldn't say closest to a sim, it's clearly arcade. But I enjoy it more than any Madden game in mind and the physics feel great.

Back
Top Bottom