Arsenal Thread

I remember here that Szecszny (or whatever) was not a good GK and getting furious reactions...

Now there seems to be a consensus that he was not good enough...

I still think Arsenal are the big favourites to win the title. Saturday they will (somehow deservedly or not) win against Spurs and even if they don't Spurs' fixture list is very, very difficult (the team i fear most is West Ham, but there are also matches against Chelsea and Man United, all possible losses).

Still think Leicester will slip up. Norwich has served the blueprint for the rest of the season's matches against Leicester: leaving possession to Leicester and being very defensive...Saturday it was clear that Leicester are suffering against teams who play that way.

City are poor in away matches...

Can't see any team beating Arsenal in the end.

Apart from özil and (at times) Sanchez, can't say i like the football Arsenal play. I was a big fan of the invincibles team and also of the team with Fabregas, Song and Van Persie.

This team does not play very attractive football...such a shame for a club that made it's trademark from attractive attacking football.

Last edited:
I think Arsenal used to play a very direct spd passing footy in the days of Highbury. Then , w/ RVP +Fabregas +Song were clinical passing to a technical finisher. Today, too many holding on to the ball slowing the pace down. How many runs you see just to stop and pass it about , it's frustrating watching this Arsenal atm. IF, Leicester fail and Spurs then MCity will have a better chance.

In fixture wise,March is always tough , they gradually improve in April n finish strong by May lol.

Jonney, your timeline is messed up there mate! Almunia wasn't in goal for us in 2012/13 :LOL:
Still, all the same to me... Szcz, Fabianski, Mannone, Martinez. We've spent so long without a top keeper that I still find it strange to this day that we have a legendary keeper now.

However, I'm gonna have to stop you there: signing donkeys hoping they're Henry? Dude, I think Özil and Sanchez are closer to being Bergkamp and Henry than they are to being donkeys. Let's cut Wenger some slack on the transfer front over the last couple of seasons and just look objectively at the problem: the squad is strong in most areas. As usual, we struggle with injuries (no it's Cazorla alongside the usual lot Wilshere, Rosicky et al) and Wenger has failed to ignite this team in any proper way to claim the biggest prize.

There is no hunger, no desire, the way they casually passed the ball around at United was disgraceful. If you watch a rerun of the match, the game was 2-3 around the 73 minute mark. Given the added time, that's TWENTY minutes of football and all they mustered was one tame effort on goal and another out of target.

I can't stand how casual this team looks even when trailing one goal down, and I'll tell you: no team will win a league with a mentality and behaviour like that.

I think Arsenal absolutely has to beat Swansea tomorrow at home, but then I doubt we will get anything from the game at Tottenham.

This team simply is not playing like champions. Nothing in this team suggests that. Nobody is stepping up, we have no leadership, our attack is wasteful and lacks bite, our plays lack directness most times, Walcott is nigh on invisible, Sanchez is totally off now, our centre halves always seem to make a crucial mistake each match... and at the helm of all that, it's the manager who picks the players, makes the signings, devises (or not) a gameplan and stands by and watches idle how 1 full hour of football unfolds with Walcott doing absolutely nothing upfront and waits too long to make the changes.

Let's face it: if Wenger can't win the title this season, we have a case for believing he never will again. And we all know what this is shaping up to be.

This season our biggest challengers to the title are Leicester and Tottenham.
Next season, IF we're fortunate enough to be in the fold, we will be fighting Pep Guardiola's Man $ity and (probably) Mourinho's Man Utd.

Let's just think about that when the season ends, when we might hear cries of "Wenger out" once again.

I think the only reason we got cech is because Arsenal is in London and we can give him the wages. Let's not kid ourselves here the problem is we have the wrong music for this dance. I'm thinking Ramsey should go back to the wings. Take Ozil on the other wing and play Sanchez in the middle. The most embarrassing bit for me was against Barça. I actually heard a f'n chopper through my screen :SHOCKER: for a long period of the match .

I'm f'n done ! I could bare the likes of MCity/Chels & Mutd, but Liecester and Spurs ffs. I'm here biting my nails over Liecester today wtf! Now, Spurs play tomorrow.. Trump can be president n kick me out of the country by the end of the year And I'm a f'n Republican -_-

I think the only reason we got cech is because Arsenal is in London and we can give him the wages. Let's not kid ourselves here the problem is we have the wrong music for this dance. I'm thinking Ramsey should go back to the wings. Take Ozil on the other wing and play Sanchez in the middle. The most embarrassing bit for me was against Barça. I actually heard a f'n chopper through my screen :SHOCKER: for a long period of the match .

I'm f'n done ! I could bare the likes of MCity/Chels & Mutd, but Liecester and Spurs ffs. I'm here biting my nails over Liecester today wtf! Now, Spurs play tomorrow.. Trump can be president n kick me out of the country by the end of the year And I'm a f'n Republican -_-

You're using proper punctuation! If I was in your city I'd take you out to dinner.

Sorry I laughed at the last bit. I guess it's because I'm taking it as a joke - that a president can kick you out of the US and, the biggest joke of all, Trump as president.

Well, I watched the Leicester match yesterday and, since you mentioned it, I'll say this: they are playing with real intent and looking more like champions than we do.
The sheer amount of shots on goal they amassed yesterday... we did well against them (Leicester) but what we presented against United pales in comparison.

I think it's an absolute disgrace the way our players and manager behave and approach crucial matches, with such a fine squad we have, while Leicester can do better with £400k signing Mahrez and a previously unknown striker (Vardy). I'm sort of happy for them in a way, and for Claudio Ranieri, who's a decent guy. But at the end of the day, a club like Arsenal, with all its ambitions, cannot want it less than Leicester.

Cech and Koscielny will miss next match against Tottenham...

i was looking forward to it, now it is a big big blow for Arsenal...

I'm at the state of 'What's the point anymore ' forget the ref's blunder which should of given players fuel to get the business done.
@Lami, becareful what you wish for I might be your neighbor down under \0/ (I always wanted to live there)
@Rent it's criminal the way Arsenal are going about their business. The attitude of we got plenty of time. You mentioned Vardy , but Wenger bought Giroud for being the Ligue 1 Vardy winning the league and such. We knew he's a big bloke that has the agility of the tin man lacking oil in Wenger's wizard of Oz world.

Well, this Swansea match was the last straw. That's it, we're done. We could have stayed in touch with Leicester and get level on points with Tottenham, but instead we allowed them to make more ground on us: 6 points! There are what, 10 rounds left. There are people still thinking we have time to pick ourselves up, there's many games left, etc... 30 points to be more precise, which sounds like a lot of stuff still to play for.
But when you think of:
a) how we're not depending on our strengths solely anymore;
b) how it would take, therefore, 2 rounds out of these 10 for everything to fall in place for us (2 wins for us while Leicester loses 2, and Tottenham loses at least one)
c) how Leicester are playing
d) and most importantly, how WE are playing

Today it was looking much better in the 1st half, we seemed up for it and creating the chances, but 3 shots off the woodwork is more than your average bad luck.
To compound on our misery, both Swansea's goals were controversial - the first one, a foul on Ozil that couldn't be clearer on the build up. Having said that, our players totally switched off there! The midfielders, Mertesacker and Bellerin watched that pass and the goal, while waiting for the ref to give that foul... whatever happened to "Play to the whistle"?!

Second one came from a Andre Ayew dive, and what are the chances of Cech failing... well, he did. And he's injured.

Now we go on such shambles to the Derby away. Well if it ain't a storm of diarhea, piss and vomit on our parade?

Yeah, Wenger should never ever mention again expenditure on interviews, it's gonna make him look a whole lot worse. Saying United spent a lot of money after that disgraceful performance at OT, was totally beside the point, as they used kids, fringe players and a couple of midfielders as their centre halves.
As the guy from the video says: don't use the "overspend" excuse, because the fans overspend every week on that ticket.

The more I think of it, the more furious I get too... Come to think about it. Why are Spurs and Leicester our biggest rivals to the title? Because Man City are off, Chelsea are totally off, United are off with and on a transition, Liverpool are on a transition period too... Next season, Pep will manage City, Mourinho probably will be at United, Klopp will probably start to come good and you can bet your ass Chelsea won't stand by idly after this season's failure.

In other words, this season was a fucking miracle designed to send Arsene Wenger on his way with a league title. But he's blowing it!

I genuinely thought this team was stronger and better this season, but I beginning to think it hasn't progressed much.
Right now we are only 1 point better off than what we were at this time last season.

Our performance is pretty much equivalent then, the only difference is the performance of the other teams around us. We're so called "league title contenders" not because of our merits, but only because of the aforementioned teams' poor form.

Well that was slightly better, although we started badly. That Ramsey goal was terrific, and all we needed to have some confidence back. After that, for the remainder of the 1st half we transformed into a confident team and Tottenham were looking frightened.
They only got their confidence back in the 2nd half, especially after Coquelin's sending off, a very stupid one I might add. You can't really complain about that, but please note that the ref was 100% rigorous and followed the rule to the letter. That was probably Coq's 2nd foul, 2 yellows. We'll come back to that later.

Reduced to 10 men then of course there was a spell of Tottenham pressure and we conceded 2. The second one particularly annoying as Ali was offside, and Mertesacker's defending was shambolic for that one. Fantastic curl on that by Kane, in fairness.

And then what happens next is that same rigorous ref, the staple of the sacred rules of the game, let 2 bookable offences by Tottenham players slide by. Both players were on a yellow.
Lamela started a little fracas with Alexis right under he linesman's nose. Alexis reaction was OTT, granted, but he who started it all got away with it, and only Alexis got a yellow. Pochettino realised how that was a close call and subbed Lamela off instantly.
Later on, it was even worse as Dier (already on a yellow) blatantly pulled Giroud's shirt to stop a counter. Once again that chocking miserable son of a bitch Michael Oliver bottled it. WTF! One can't help but feel robbed there...

How much it would have changed the course of the game is anybody's guess, but to be level in terms of numbers on the pitch wouldn't have hurt us.

In the end, Alexis saved us with his heroics, which will do him a world of good, and the team played as well as they could with one man down. Wenger was ballsy enough to sub Elneny for Giroud, and then smartly rebuilt his midfield cover with Flamini replacing Welbz. So credit to the manager this time around. Being brave and playing well with one man less is the positive we can take going forward.

This draw away is something I'd have taken before the whistle anyway, but I cannot help but feel agrieved with that ref's poor showing today.

Last edited:
intense match today... amazing quality game...

i thought it´s over for Arsenal, but they saved it..

the league is crazy... :)

Leicester thanks us. I think they'll win the league. Let's see how they do later today.

Pocchettino is a great manager, but today he made a mistake.
I can understanding who he substituted Lamela (afraid for a second yellow) but not who he went more defensive by bringing Mason on and not Son. At that moment Arsenal had suffered three consecutive blows and were ready for a knock-out. Spurs let Arsenal back in the match and credit to them they made it.

Spurs still have an inferiority complex against Arsenal.

With matches against Liverpool, United and Chelsea, i think the title is gone and we might even loose out on CL-football.

Should have won both matches against Arsenal, we dominated them both times. What a lost opportunity.

Pochettino went too defensive too soon imo (said it at the time!). A 3rd was inevitable.

Dier and Bellerin were both lucky not to get a 2nd yellow

Coq was a silly cock

Once , Lamela came off then Rose they closed that left sided lane. Even with both sides getting chances I think Ramsey could of sneak a win at the end. Seeing Everton going 10 men down w/ a 2 gol lead. I sort of feel glad we finished w/ something. I still think Spurs are in a better form and derby matches takes very little from it.

@Rent Ali was onside , Gibbs made sure of that. He didn't get the push them up memo.

Arsenal have class player that Spurs haven't, they can creat goals out of nothing. That is something Spurs can't.

This is a great Spûrs team, but they don't score enough.

I think we might even finish outside the top 4 with West Ham and Man United coming closer (and i really admire West Ham United).

Very bad week for Spurs.

Fantastic goals by Ramsey (who was very bad the first half) and by Kane.

Wenger won you a point yesterday,showed more guts than Pocchetino. Still don't understand why he brought Mason in for Lamela...the match was up for grabs at that moment. In the end Spurs are Lucky not to loose the match...

Cocquelin i not the solution to your DMF problems. Very bad match yesterday, two very stupid yellow cards.

Odd time for that comment regarding goals out of nothing, with Harry Kane's goal yesterday. Spurs have players who can produce moments of brilliance.

I understand your post Younggun, but usually Spurs are dominating largely when they score.
We are missing a massive opportunity to win the title.
I know this team is young and the odds are that these playes will only get better, but will stay with Spurs? Will Pocchettino stay?

Apart from that Spurs have a Lucky season, not too much injuries, important players of opponents are ikjured when SPurs play them (Payet in the home match, Koscielny and Cech yesterday and there are other examples).

If i was Woodward, i would go for Pocchettino as the next United manager.

Pochettino seems quite good, but we need more time to judge his performances. The jury is still out. He's being benefitted by the same atypical season that Wenger is failing to capitalize on. Had the richest boys Chelsea and Man City really brought it up a notch this season, or United were in a better place, this would have been another top 4 battle for Arsenal and Tottenham... and a top 4 finish is something even Harry Redknapp was able to achieve once with Tottenham.

By the way, Tottenham had a class player who created goals out of nothing in Bale (his winning goals alone earned them 18 points that season) and now Kane, who is back to good form. IMO not a whole lot has changed for them, except the current manager seems more competent.

But regardless of what happens, it will take a couple more seasons to tell. His first season there wasn't too good, this one is looking very good, but these could be ups and downs of another good/average manager.

There's the possibility that he will take over another club with more resources too, so let's wait and see.

Good lift for the attacking players. Sometimes putting the ball in a dangerous zone is required to get a few gols eh!?. Now, injuries Ramsey- no problem El Neny. Gabriel- yikes,Per- yikes! Campbell has to play over Theo/Welzbk.

12795478_1058244207581386_1343410051785488710_n.png

Well that was embarrassing. Wenger cannot go on, as his gameplan and style has worn itself out. After 20 years we need fresh ideas.

Regarding today, the biggest question is: why did it take 85 minutes of football and for us to be 2-0 down to start playing with some real intent and purpose?
Throughout the whole match we coasted through with innocuous possession, let the entire 1st half pass us by and didn't put a single shot on target before the middle of the 2nd half.

Then we find ourselves 0-2 down and throw caution to the wind, bomb forward as any team in this position should... But here's the painful truth: you know that at these stages, when the trailing teams have to find goals, they're all about heart and urgency and less about tactics and put aside the gameplan their manager had set up. Well, it turns out that this improvised and desperate Arsenal plays way better than Wenger's usual side.

The match today wasn't difficult by any means. So much so, that even having spent 90 minutes doing fuck all and losing 0-2, we almost found the 2 goals we needed inside 7 minutes when we really turned it on! Watford was shitting themselves in the end and it's almost as if our team didn't acknowledge they had this superiority over them all along. It clearly looks like lack of ambition and self confidence.

Why didn't we start playing like that earlier than that??
But you know what, this is all too familiar. The same old shit, falling short, etc. We always end up feeling like our players didn't give it their best. In the CL it is the same, we seldom fail to go through because of one goal...

I'm sick and tired of this pattern repeating itself. Enough is enough.

Change doesn`t happen by adding players regardless the amount. It comes from the top! I can cook 6 different meals and I can add to them to create 9 similar but different meals. Wenger been shuffling 6 meals for 20 yrs! E f`n OUGH! :CRY:

Seems like there are far more arsenal fans wanting him gone now.

But the question is, IS it really him thats at fault or the board? or both?

Whos to say that another manager comes in and can only buy one world class player once ever 2/3 seasons and not able to spend more?

Or is wenger the manager that is really to blame for arsenal's downfall?

When will fans or you begin to start looking at the players himself?

Dont forget, wenger is not on the pitch playing, its the players.

Surely its maybe time players are accounted for, not just in arsenal but any club. Look at the attitude of chelsea's players this season yet its mourinho that gets the sack?

Mourinho is not on the pitch, same with wenger. so why cant players like hazard get the sack, salary deduction etc?

its shocking how players can just collect there 100k a week and **** about on the pitch while it is the manager that gets the boot.

Is it really wenger out or more Ramsey, walcott, mertesaka etc etc that need to go?

Back
Top Bottom