Arsenal thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clockender said:
Ahh the Chelsea phenomenon! The third generation of this particular disease, following on from the Liverpool variant in the 1980's and Man Utd variant in the 1990's. :mrgreen:

Well Chelsea shirt sales are higher than Man Utd's according to Kitbag although our shirt is the biggest seller this year mainly due to the fact it's a special one off.

Yeah, he's been called back to join the Spanish National Squad. He's on fire, I hope he is being acknowledged there in England. He is so talented. What do English fans think about him?

Gedtillo said:
Yeah, he's been called back to join the Spanish National Squad. He's on fire, I hope he is being acknowledged there in England. He is so talented. What do English fans think about him?

We f*cking love Reyes! Took him time to play up front, as i saw him on the wing Sevilla v Real 2 seasons ago.. he nutmegged Figo, went round him and then nutmegged him again! CLASS! He's plays with his heart on his sleeve at the moment, rushing around and even closing down keepers. In the champions league v Thun, he got injured. He went off, and then came back running like a train - never seen Henry even run that fast. The keeper went to kick the ball, and it rebounded back off Reyes and, even though it was not near the goal, his effort was recognised!

On the topic of Reyes, don't you think he should take the Penalties? On the subject of Pires, i knew he would miss before he even stepped up. I think he'll walk for free this season, and then Reyes will move to the left.

Guess it depends on the outcome of the Henry 'negotiations' :(

JAR is flexible enough to play either position to good effect. He also offers a slightly more defensive option on the wing as he tracks back a lot more than Pires. Dunno what's eating Bob at the moment, maybe his head is elsewhere?

Joystick said:
Guess it depends on the outcome of the Henry 'negotiations' :(

JAR is flexible enough to play either position to good effect. He also offers a slightly more defensive option on the wing as he tracks back a lot more than Pires. Dunno what's eating Bob at the moment, maybe his head is elsewhere?

Prob thinking how the hell does he break into the French squad for the world cup.

on another note, is it wrong my mrs' is more upset with the Henry talk than i am? haha!

Good to know that you English consider Reyes. I think there is a brilliant generation of Spanish young players that has ben forced to sail to the islands to be able to play in a strong team. Real Madrid and Barcelona are so much focused on big names that they don't see the talent in their own country. Among them are Reina, Luis García, Xabi Alonso, Reyes, Cesc, Del Horno... They all can play top level games and perform great, but they have been able to play those games thanks to having gone abroad.

I think it will be good for the Spanish team to have so many players playing at top level. Our problem in the past has been that some players, though very talented, lack the experience of big games and European cups that is needed to perform well at the WC or Euro. Playing @ Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea will be good for them and for the rest of the team.

Back on topic, how about Cesc? Many people thought he was too young to do well at Arsenal, but it seems he's doing OK.

And, BTW, who "IS_ONLY_EIGHTEEN", but is "BETTER_THAN_ROY_KEANE"? :P Just curious...

Gedtillo said:
Back on topic, how about Cesc? Many people thought he was too young to do well at Arsenal, but it seems he's doing OK.

And, BTW, who "IS_ONLY_EIGHTEEN", but is "BETTER_THAN_ROY_KEANE"? :P Just curious...

I think you inadvertently answered your own question as the chants are referring to Cesc :)

I agree with Wenger's comments that the team will become stronger while Henry is injured but it'll be difficult to see how you'll cope if he was to leave this summer...

I guessing his decision indirectly depends on the January transfer window - a sort-of replacement for Vieira will be vital. Although I have to say that Hleb looks a good signing

rockykabir said:
I think you inadvertently answered your own question as the chants are referring to Cesc :)

I agree with Wenger's comments that the team will become stronger while Henry is injured but it'll be difficult to see how you'll cope if he was to leave this summer...

I guessing his decision indirectly depends on the January transfer window - a sort-of replacement for Vieira will be vital. Although I have to say that Hleb looks a good signing

yeah I rate Hleb but I dont think he's any sort of replacement for Paddy.....

Hleb was pants yesterday though, but he will take time to settle. Henry is obviously hedging his bets and waiting to see who we sign before signing his new contract. My gut feel though is that he is off on his bike. Why?

We are strapped for cash and cannot afford to let one of the top 3 players in the world go for a free in 2007.

If he hasn't signed his deal by mid-August 2006 there will be huge transfer scramble to get him.

Clockender said:
Hleb was pants yesterday though, but he will take time to settle. Henry is obviously hedging his bets and waiting to see who we sign before signing his new contract. My gut feel though is that he is off on his bike. Why?

We are strapped for cash and cannot afford to let one of the top 3 players in the world go for a free in 2007.

If he hasn't signed his deal by mid-August 2006 there will be huge transfer scramble to get him.

tbh I didnt think anyone played that well yesterday but what ive seen of hleb so far im impressed...

I dont think Henry is waiting to see who arsenal sign, wenger has never signed "big name" players, maybe he's had enough at arsenal and wants a decent crack at winning the European Cup, can you imagine him at Barca with Ronaldinho and Eto, that would be WHOA!!!!

Big big pressure on this Jan transfer window but are there the players available ie for sale? I have always said we can live without Vieria but without Henry we are an also-ran side. The team is good enough but it's players like Titi who propel us into the title-chasing bracket. Arsenal would survive without him but it would take a good while to be blessed again with his level of quality.

To think, Arsenal could potentially lose Henry, Pires and Bergkamp in one summer (after losing Vieria last summer). That's a lot of experience and a lot of character from the side. Will Wenger be arsed to start all over again? Who knows...

Does anyone think Papa Bouba Diop would make a good replacement for Vieira? From what i've seen he could be the man for the job.

Joystick said:
Big big pressure on this Jan transfer window but are there the players available ie for sale? I have always said we can live without Vieria but without Henry we are an also-ran side. The team is good enough but it's players like Titi who propel us into the title-chasing bracket. Arsenal would survive without him but it would take a good while to be blessed again with his level of quality.

To think, Arsenal could potentially lose Henry, Pires and Bergkamp in one summer (after losing Vieria last summer). That's a lot of experience and a lot of character from the side. Will Wenger be arsed to start all over again? Who knows...

that would be a big loss for any team, but you have some cracking youngsters breaking thru, henry was/is a one off and tbh in big games he's disapeared a few times for arsenal, maybe the likes of Reyes, Van Persie etc will come on ten fold when Henry is no longer the centre of the team and they might prove to be the "big game players" that Henry (as of yet) couldnt do for the gunners...

Stasman said:
Does anyone think Papa Bouba Diop would make a good replacement for Vieira? From what i've seen he could be the man for the job.

aparently both arsenal and United are looking to aquire "the wardrobe" Papa Diop...

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
that would be a big loss for any team, but you have some cracking youngsters breaking thru, henry was/is a one off and tbh in big games he's disapeared a few times for arsenal, maybe the likes of Reyes, Van Persie etc will come on ten fold when Henry is no longer the centre of the team and they might prove to be the "big game players" that Henry (as of yet) couldnt do for the gunners...
Arsenal do have some good young players but the problem here is that the older and more important players are leaving before the transition period for the younger guys has been completed. Which also means that the players' development is being harmed.

dam right. I don't blame Henry for wanting to leave though, his 28 and can't wait till 2008/2009 when our transition might be complete and we start seriously challenging in Europe and the prem

I feel that we have a fantastic bunch of youngsters coming through which can potentially take us far, we just need the experience to bring them through. We have good upcoming talent in every position it's just a case of bringing it into the first team at the right time!

Cashley is out for a month then, should give CLichy a chance to stake his place then. Does anyone know whether Cashley did the injury whilst playing against Birmingham or training with England?

Clockender said:
Cashley is out for a month then, should give CLichy a chance to stake his place then. Does anyone know whether Cashley did the injury whilst playing against Birmingham or training with England?

I blame the fickle, part time racist-when she feels like it-until money comes along, Cheryl Tweedy. Looked ok on the weekend when he was running between nightclubs for Defoes party and the girls alound party.. oh well.. musta been at England training then.

IceMan_Bergkamp said:
I blame the fickle, part time racist-when she feels like it-until money comes along, Cheryl Tweedy. Looked ok on the weekend when he was running between nightclubs for Defoes party and the girls alound party.. oh well.. musta been at England training then.

I am starting to think we should sell to the highest bidder next summer. CLichy is a worthy replacement and he only recently signed a contract until 2011! Looks like Arsenal have signed up Cole's long term replacement just in case he leaves.

To his credit he has had an impressive start to the season, one of our best players so far in 05/06. You can't help but feel that he might be polishing himself up for the shop window come this summer though. If he's still here when we move to the Emirates I'll start to consider him as one of the boys again, but that's a big 'IF'.

I think we should start a new Arsenal thread where someone can update the title to make it easier to spot, like the Man Utd and Chel threads. What d'yall reckon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom