Apple Macbook Air

FlawlessCowboy

Stunted
5 July 2004
Coventry, UK
design_thinair20080115.jpg

The thinness of MacBook Air is stirring. But perhaps more impressive, there’s a full-size notebook encased in the sleek, sturdy anodised aluminium enclosure. And at just 1.36 kg (3.0 pounds)1, MacBook Air is more than portable — it’s with you everywhere you go.

design_displayair20080115.jpg

The glossy 13.3-inch, widescreen LED backlit MacBook Air display is the same viewable size as the screen on MacBook. The 1280-by-800 resolution gives you vibrant images and rich colours at full brightness the moment you open MacBook Air. So you get full-screen performance with all the benefits of a slim design.

design_keyboardair20080115.jpg

The keyboard is full-size with crisp keys just like the ones on MacBook. But MacBook Air goes further by adding backlit key illumination, making it easy to work in low-light settings such as planes and conference halls. A built-in ambient light sensor automatically adjusts keyboard and display brightness for optimal visibility. And with the oversize multi-touch trackpad, it just keeps getting better for fingers.

Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2GB memory
80GB 4200-rpm PATA hard drive1
Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi2 and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Ready to ship: 2 - 3 weeks
Free Shipping
£1,199.00
(£1,020.43 ex VAT)

Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2GB memory
64GB solid-state drive1
Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi2 and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Ready to ship: 2 - 3 weeks
Free Shipping
£2,028.00
(£1,725.96 ex VAT)

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookair

Basically for rich people, or who need something like this.

Not many people can afford a laptop for normal use and say on a plane.

Good idea, but I'm still saving/waiting for the new MacBook. Which I guess will have the the new touch pad! :)

No disc drive in this, lack of inputs etc. makes it very much a secondary laptop.

Bur no doubting, it is still very good.

Well.. no haha. But that'll come down in price eventually like all technology. So when I do get a new Macbook hopefully they'll have SSDs and are relatively cheap in comparison to current MBP prices.

The new MacBookPro range I assume will have Multi-Touch Pad and SSD.

Some negatives:
1. No user-replacable battery. Not the end of the world, for sure, but a nuisance, especially as your battery's life drops to four hours, then three, then ... (but that's a few years away, right?). Shades of the user-inaccessible iPhone battery commotion here.
2. Recessed USB slot will hinder certain peripherals. Prepare for a cottage industry of adapters to appear (much like those for the iPhone's headphone jack). Plus, there's only one -- expect small, streamlined & white USB hubs to appear soon.
3. No Firewire port. Forget uploading digital video from a camera, or using those spiffy Firewire external hard drives.

The Air was made for a specific type of consumer. As stated, its meant as a secondary laptop or for those who travel a lot and have the money. Apart from the cost, it is a beautiful piece of technology. My main problem is no firewire. The wireless cd/dvd drive thing is cool.

how many products does apple come out in a year , they'll probably sell apple microwaves next.

I would like to see a UMPC-type/AsusEEE Mac really, that would be cool as long as its >£400 but I can't see it being that cheap really.

Back
Top Bottom