Anyway to replicate the World Cup on Winning Eleven 10?

douglemcnori

Non-League
22 January 2003
SE UK
Searched high and low but could not find another thread about this so, is there anyway to replicate the World Cup on Winning Eleven 10? I have tried but the group matches dont match the fixtures and the next round etc - can anything be done? Cheers

DavidBushell said:
It is possible... u just got to swap a few groups round and the knock-out draw will be effectively the same...
No it's not. Check this out:

we10worldcup19gu.jpg

The teams from group A should both play the teams from another single group but one plays the runner-up from F and the other plays the winner of C. Plus both teams from group A can potentially meet in the quarter-finals but in the real world cup this should not be possible and they should only be able to meet in the semi-final.

But the right side of the table is correct.

Zygalski said:
Plus both teams from group A can potentially meet in the quarter-finals but in the real world cup this should not be possible and they should only be able to meet in the semi-final.

But the right side of the table is correct.
So I guess this also means, it's impossible for two teams in real life WC in same group to meet in the Finals right?

Damn.. not sure if that should be how it works. :/

aside: in euro 2004... greece and portugal, who were in the same group, met again in the final.

Yeah well I guess Euros structure is different from world cup.

I have another question too. What will happen if the first team wins all 3 games and finishes on top with 9 points and the other 3 teams in same group all finish on 2 points (2 draws and 1 loss) and the 2nd and 3rd team have exactly the same (goal-difference) and exact same record of goals scored and conceded? Which one would go through? It's unlikely for this to happen but it is possible.

I'm not sure what would happen. Recently in some tournaments they have been judging teams with the same points etc. by fair-play, not quite sure what exactly but maybe least yellow/red cards or least fouls?

Last edited:
This one I can actually answer PLF.

If both teams ended up their games and they have the same number of points, the criteria to know who goes to knock-out stage is this one (in this exact order):

-Goals Difference
-Goals Scored
-Direct Confrontation
-Goal difference in the direct confrontation
-Goals scored in direct confrontation
-Random Draw

So, lets suppose this happens in Group F:

Brazil 1 - 0 Croatia
Brazil 1 - 0 Australia
Brazil 1 - 0 Japan
Croacia 1 - 0 Australia
Croacia 1 - 2 Japan
Australia 1 - 0 Japan

Brazil would go with 9 points, Australia would be last, with least goals scored, and Japan would get second place, even having the same amount of goals scored and the same goal difference as Croatia, 'cause in the direct confrontation, Japan beated Croatia 2-1.

But I suppose in the case you putted in, with one team with 9 points, and the other 3 teams with 2 points you would have to analyse the games between those 3 teams, following that order I gave you, and if still, you can't reach a conclusion, there'll be a draw to see who goes through.

Pretty unfair, but that' the way it goes...

About the World Cup thing in WE10, I think it is possible if you use groups 1-8 instead of A-H, 'cause the format is different in the knockout stage... but I haven't tested it yet...

My 2 cents... :)

Last edited:
PLF said:
So I guess this also means, it's impossible for two teams in real life WC in same group to meet in the Finals right?

Damn.. not sure if that should be how it works. :/

Its only the final that teams can meet again like the Euro's.

Cloud, what?

@Walter, thanks man.

The reason I asked this question and why I became curious was I played a WC on WE10 where I played every match in Group D!

What ended up happening at the end was Mexico had won the group with 3 victories and 9 points.

Then Portugal, Iran and Angola all had 2 points cuz they had drawn each other but lost to Mexico. Angola had lost 2-0 to Mexico but Iran and Portugal only 1-0 so that meant Angola was out.

But then I had no idea why Portugal ended up going through since they had the exact same Goal difference, exact same record of goals scored and conceded as Iran and also in their only confrontation, the result was a thrilling 2-2! 8) (So this made me curious about real life and what would happen which is why I asked)

I guess it had to be random draw then.. :/
Pretty unlucky but then again this situation isn't too likely to happen thank god! :D cuz it'd be way too unfair for a team to go out after a coin-flip/draw :lol:

Last edited:
WalterVF said:
About the World Cup thing in WE10, I think it is possible if you use groups 1-8 instead of A-H, 'cause the format is different in the knockout stage... but I haven't tested it yet...

My 2 cents... :)
Took a look at this today and it's indeed corect.
Success, we can play a world cup now!

Now....first person to post which groups ingame we should use to get the correct sequence of knockout rounds gets a prize ;)

Group 1:
Germany
Costa Rica
Poland
Ecuador

Group 2:
France
Switzerland
Korea
Togo

Group 3:
Argentina
Ivory Coast
Serbia & Montenegro
Holland

Group 4:
Ghana
Italy
United States
Czechia

Group 5:
Spain
Ukraine
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

Group 6:
England
Paraguay
Trinidad & Tobago
Sweden

Group 7:
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

Group 8:
Mexiko
Iran
Portugal
Angola

here's my two cents...
That format WORKS...until the semi-finals!!!

the reason is....EVERY WORLD CUP, with exception of WC 2002, teams in the same group can only meet in the final.

NOW, why is it different in WC 2002? because it's co-hosted...they wanted to make sure that Korea will always play in Korea until the Final match...and Japan will always play in Japan until the final match!! SO, groups were divided and thus, a few countries always played in Korea (Germany for example)...and the other half always played in Japan (Brasil for example)

If you remember, Turkey and Brasil are on the same group....they were all playing in Japan and met up in the semi-final! then winner stays in Japan, loser goes to Korea for 3rd-4th place match!!

Germany beat Korea and went to Japan for the final match!!

ok, enough with the rules, WHY IS WE10 LIKE THAT?? here's the answer....Konami is stupid and kept WC 2002's format in the international cup just to be safe and don't have to reprogramme everything again.

so IN CONCLUSION!!! it is IMPOSSIBLE to exactly replicate the WC 2006 in WE 10!!! sorry to burst people's bubbles

and...if u check WE games b4 2002, so like...WE5 and b4...the format of International Cup is the World Cup format for years and for 2006 and on!!!

It was also to save on travelling, could you imagine having to play the round of 16 in Japan, the quarters in Korea, then the Semis in Japan etc

the reason is....EVERY WORLD CUP, with exception of WC 2002, teams in the same group can only meet in the final.
Er, what about Brazil vs Sweden in 1994 as an example posted by me above?

I think what you're trying to say is that WC2002 is the only one that should follow this tree system as shown in the diagram above and that WC2006 involves a system that takes one pair of teams across to the other side of the tree in the QF stage.

Last edited:
oh..what i meant was that other than WC 2002, all the other ones have a system where players in the same group will only meet again in the final match!! so yeah, like Brasil and Sweden....

Well PaoloRink's format seems to be working for me, although I'm sure at one point, once I've played enough World Cups :P, then it'll break down, but the illusion works for me for the moment. :)

mathewsss said:
Typical Konami....they miss out on the realism of leagues, cups always

Well, seeing the way the FIFA just takes control of everything around the WC I can imagin them fining e.g. Konami for even using the correct format (1-8 style) together with the correct groupnames A-H. So I think Konami did this intentionally simply because they had to.

ss4_goku said:
oh..what i meant was that other than WC 2002, all the other ones have a system where players in the same group will only meet again in the final match!! so yeah, like Brasil and Sweden....

You got it wrong there, actually it was the semi-final Brazil and Sweden played in 1994. 2002 and 2006 WC's have the mode you described (dunno exactly but think it has been changed in 2002 and been kept since then).

oh yeah...1994, Brasil vs Italy final.......hm.....well....woops.....

i think 1998 is same format as 2006 though...right?

i think they did that for 1994, cause USA is too big with too different time zones, so they wanted to keep teams on the west and the east side respectively (as if it were two nations....not sure about that)

USA 94 had a diffenrent format in which the best third place teams could actually advance because it was played between "only" 24 nations.

since the format was moved to 32 teams (France 98, Japan-Korea 02 and Germany 06). France and Germany share the same structure.

and Konami as always are lazy and can't even update the International Tournament Structure (and they wont even change it in PES6 or WSWE:PES2007)

PLF said:
Yeah well I guess Euros structure is different from world cup.

I have another question too. What will happen if the first team wins all 3 games and finishes on top with 9 points and the other 3 teams in same group all finish on 2 points (2 draws and 1 loss) and the 2nd and 3rd team have exactly the same (goal-difference) and exact same record of goals scored and conceded? Which one would go through? It's unlikely for this to happen but it is possible.

think it happened in 1990

england won their group and i think ireland & holland finished with identical records with egypt finishing bottom

if i remember right ireland went through after drawing lots and went on to play romania

Back
Top Bottom