Anyone find they cant mentally get into gaming like when younger?

pes4lyfe

Champions League
4 July 2011
Even 18,19 ish I could still get into rpg type games and into the
whole world and sit and play all night and try to level up and find
secrets etc etc..

But these days only games I seem to be able to play are like quick load up no thought games such as pes,bf, cod etc...

I tired skyrim, withcer and even completed fallout 3 and deus ex hr etc.

But mentally i just cant get into as much. I also think i should be
going out to parties or stuff rather than playing games i can play games
when im 40-50+ and no parties to go to.

I'm 40 and still game as much as I used to, and enjoy it as much as I used to, really looking forward to Metro Last Light, Remember Me, GTA V, Fifa 14 and Watch Dogs in particular as well as the new PS4 which I'll probably switch to from the 360 as soon as it's released (assuming there's some option to play PS3 games on it).

same looking forward to them games also mate.

I meant moreso games like

Final fantasy
Skyrim somewhat

RPG/fantasy type games with long fantasy storys..cant get into them.

don't really see the issue. things and taste change with time. play the game you like, go to parties every now and then.

don't get obsessed with things, just enjoy what you like.

i also don't like rpg or first person shooters. so i stick with other games.

yeh tastes change but its kinda sad. I enjoyed being young and fantasy world and my guitar music etc..getting old sux

look at the bright side: once u have kids they'll give u extra enthusiamsm for playing games.

wife ain't so keen on you going to parties on your own though...

Skyrim somewhat

RPG/fantasy type games with long fantasy storys..cant get into them.

Skyrim came out when I was 38 and I had no problems getting immersed into it for 100s of hours on both PC and 360 ;) I'm definitely planning to start it again on PC as well with all the sexy new graphics mods etc :)

I was the same with Bioshock Infinite - that game really got me hooked into the story and game world. However, I do find this kind of experience to be increasingly rare as I get older. When I was a teenager I didn't have a care in the world and could get totally lost in a game for hours on end. Nowadays I have more to think about and jobs to do, so I can't quite 'switch off' like I used to.

Another thing - and I'm probably not alone here - but I find myself getting more cynical about gaming (and life in general) with every passing year. This is probably down to the internet which details the minutae of every game these days, as well as gaming podcasts. Back when I was in my teens the internet wasn't really a 'thing' yet. I would buy most games with no idea of what to expect so I would form my opinions and perhaps enjoy them more.

I think that's why I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite so much - because I knew literally nothing about it.

I'm 32 by the way. :))

too much info, trailers, and arguing about games is indeed a big turn off.

maybe that's why all the game i enjoyed were somehow underrated and with little bitching around (sleeping dogs, catherine, dead space 1)

and that's why i enjoy psn games, some of which i never heard before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel the same way with the huge rpg games. I think it's more to do with I've been there and done that too often. Racing games too due to years of playing gran turismo. I just can't muster up the willpower to start an rpg or racing game and have to start from scratch and put hours into them again.

This is normal, I suppose it happens to everyone. As you grow older you have to worry about stuff like jobs, money, wife or girlfriend, kids, etc. Crazy, but it's true :P

For me it's the same really. If the game is outstanding, I get totally sucked into it. However, as Jamezinho said, this kind of thing gets more and more rare.

The last one I really got hooked to was Max Payne 3 I think. Hitman got me pretty good too. But other games such as Assassin's Creed and Metal Gear Rising were more like a chore to play than anything.

The underwhelming experiences with some games allied to the increasingly reduced spare time for games have led me to the decision to stick to mainly Rockstar games and Metal Gear series (the real ones with Snake).

When we're teens or young adults we could get immersed and dedicate sooo much time to a game, much more time than we should have, in truth.
I did one patch for a Winning Eleven version some 10 years ago. Now I cannot even be bothered to look for decent Option Files and do some in-game editing. I just skipped the franchise altogether. This gives you the idea of how things change!

The underwhelming experiences with some games allied to the increasingly reduced spare time for games have led me to the decision to stick to mainly Rockstar games and Metal Gear series (the real ones with Snake).

Same here. There are too many games to play and not enough time to devote to them so I generally focus on the genres and franchises that I really love. My main gaming passion is racing sims so I spend a big chunk of my gaming time on the likes of rFactor 2. Sports games have been relegated to second place largely due to the fall of PES, but it's a genre I will always find the time for.

Other than that I play the odd AAA title. Anything Rockstar or other open world games like Sleeping Dogs.

Same here. There are too many games to play and not enough time to devote to them so I generally focus on the genres and franchises that I really love. My main gaming passion is racing sims so I spend a big chunk of my gaming time on the likes of rFactor 2. Sports games have been relegated to second place largely due to the fall of PES, but it's a genre I will always find the time for.

Other than that I play the odd AAA title. Anything Rockstar or other open world games like Sleeping Dogs.

That's probably the right thing to do. Go for the kind of games you know you will like. And at best go for the blockbusters that are critically acclaimed and you know they're good from previous versions.

Also I noticed how I feel pressured to finish a game (even if I'm thoroughly enjoying it) because there's a pile of games waiting, but it always turns out some of them are not very good. So I just decided to slow down.

Sports games are a massive time consumer. I used to spend unhealthy amounts of time playing NBA games (full season with full length matches and everything!) and the Master League in PES of course.
I barely play any sports games lately and maybe that's for the best too.

Oh and I completely skipped Sleeping Dogs. Not that I'm looking for new games I don't need but... is it worth it? :D

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's due to age or just gaming fatigue but I really can't get into most shooter, action and adventure type games anymore. However, in recent years I've developed a penchant for sim and simcade racing games, which I try to play when I have some spare time.

Sleeping dog is a must. it an old school pure fun with great story and tons of stuff to do. It hooked me as much as uncharted, same fun, same straight forward game, same addiction. I'd say on my top 5 all time ps3. I am also getting bored easily these days so i need games that don't need million upgrades or too many options.

I loved the likes of Limbo and journey and the cave. psn game are great fun.

P.S.
and if u go back to nba, we can team up and play a game or two on line in the weekend. Just had a go with Sauce miami bulls (we took the bulls) and it was great fun. Sauce made hamilton look like michael jordan...too bad with missed the last shot to win the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
to many games have to many upgrades, moves, moves to learn,things to collect etc..To oTT>

How about the raw GTA3..open world game, simple missions, and go on killing sprees...pure fun and simple but still enough to do for variety,

Oh why did I have to ask? Now I feel like I have to buy Sleeping Dogs :P

I agree with the advantage of simplicity. Too many moves, upgrades, and especially side missions, put me off too. I think the developers of open world games are getting carried away.
Rockstar can get away with it most times because they do it really well. But just because they do it, doesn't mean others will know how to do it.

I'm getting to a point when I begin to prefer linear games again (you know, with maps, boundaries in the scenery, like Max Payne 3 and Hitman Absolution). At least the environment is much more detailed and well designed, when compared to other games which have an open map with a lack of detail, textures, depth.

I'm beginning to fear for franchises that I previously liked which are venturing in the open world/sandbox style.

sleeping dogs is one of the few games where i actually enjoyed learning new moves to kick some of those fatty bastards.

i'll retry max payne, i loved the setting and gameplay mechanic but i found the main character pretty annoying.
and sooner or later i'll give demon's souls another try, but i found it a bit dull on the story side, medieval fantasy settings ain't my cup of tea.

Back
Top Bottom