Wondergoal by Moussa Dembele

lol...this is the kind of goal you only see on the dutch league..just like that one from Ibrahimovic.. I don't value it so much, even though he's a good player. In Portugal he would be fouled right away.

Lovely goal, reminds me a bit of the Zlatan one, and a bit of the Ginola one for Spurs against Barnsley. Very nice!

Good footwork but the defending was awful, not even a half-arsed attempt and the defenders looked scared to even bother.

Can't believe some of you are being so sniffy about this goal. It's a pearler! The guy shows incredible balance to slalom through all those players and a proper finish at the end - not a hit and hope.

Not the greatest defending in the world certainly, but I have a feeling some of you would be creaming your pants if it was someone like Ronaldo who had scored it instead.

Can't believe some of you are being so sniffy about this goal. It's a pearler! The guy shows incredible balance to slalom through all those players and a proper finish at the end - not a hit and hope.

Not the greatest defending in the world certainly, but I have a feeling some of you would be creaming your pants if it was someone like Ronaldo who had scored it instead.

so true.

Maradona's goal also had lousy defending but alot of people call it the best of all time. :COAT:

seconded ;))

every goal always takes place thanks to a defensive mistake. most of the fans don't realise this simple truth..... if they would, then we wouldn't hear all those bullshits about "attacking football" and "conservative football"....

and however, i can't really see any huge mistakes from the defenders either..... honestly most of the premiership teams (and by most, i mean all of them, except man utd, chelsea, liverpool, city and everton) wouldn't be able to do anything better than what this defensive line did.

Gerd, that Dembele is really an interesting player. and actually this is not the most impressive thing i saw him doing either.
this is a fantastic effort, speaking of technique, but as Peter pointed out, once u attracted the defenders over yourself, u should look for an unmarked teammate and pass.
that's why i think dembele's performances at the olympic games were even more impressive than this goal. :))

Last edited:
Yes Ben, i heard he was very impressive at the Olympics and certainly against Italy....i read in L'Equipe (i was in France at the time) that he made quite an impession in Italy.

And of course Peter is right, but the funny thing is that Dembele is reputed for giving assists and that his one weak point is that doesn't score enough ...

I totally agree with you that every goal is made possible by bad defending. Look at Maradonna's wonder goal against England (the second), it was a great goal made possible because of bad defending.

Same for the famous Saudi-Arabian goal at the 1994 WC against Belgium...if Maradonna, Ronaldinho or Ch. Ronaldo score such goal nobody talks about bad defending. The fact that i don't even remember the Saudian players' name (Al Daeyan ???) proves everything.

To be frank, I haven't see enough of him, so I wouldn't call him world class or something special after scoring a one of a kind goal like that. I agree if Ronaldo or Torres scored that, no-one would stop talking about it.

And Ben is right, every goal in football involves a mistake from the other side.

he shook the same bad defenders twice...

i can't say if those defenders are good or bad, as i don't watch them playing on a regular basis (actually i don't even know their names).... as most of us, i guess.

and by looking at this play, we cannot say they seem to be bad either, as this is not poor defending.
just look at the play. the covering is pretty much perfect.
there are 2 players who tried to put pressure on him (one of em seems to be a midfielder, the other one is a defender), but he got rid of em and avoided the tackle with a really nice move (i saw henry doing that trick hundreds of times in his carreer..... but of course, when henry does it, he's a great player, when somebody we don't know does it, then the defenders were crap.... sure).
the rest of the defensive line is set up on coverage, and that's why u don't see them trying to tackle him. and this is exactly what they had to do, coz dembele is not a foward, he's a midfielder. So, trying to put pressure on him with more than those 2 players would have left a hole in the defensive line and would have left a foward free from any marking.

Funnily this is a tipycal mistake of premiership clubs. they focus their defensive asset mainly on pressing. So, since u can't press and cover at the same time, as soon as the defenders move foward to put pressure on the ball carrier, they leave a hole behind them, screw the whole defensive line displacement, and (if the ball carrier is a midfielder) they also leave a foward free from marking.
This would have been poor defending. this is what most of premiership teams do, several times per match, every week.

but this is not what those defenders did on this play. first they tried to put pressure on dembele. then, once both their tries failed, they didn't loose their coolness, they didn't send more players to press him, forgetting about protecting the box. they hold their position and tried to avoid dembele getting inside a shooting range.

unfortunately they weren't able to do this as, once again, with a fantastic move, he was able to get rid of 3 defenders in the same time and found enough space to shot.
and once again, this was not a huge mistake by the defenders, coz most of the credit goes to demebele's move. if it would have been a "wide dribbling" with the ball 1 meter far from dembele's foot, then the defenders should have got the ball. but dembele's move was very "tight", the ball is glued to his foot (nice touch).
so it's not like those defenders were crap coz they didn't get the ball. dembele kept the ball always close to his foot and showed a very good ball control.

someone might say that somebody should have bring him down with a foul, but that's wrong aswell. once he got rid of those 2 guys on pressing, he reached the box pretty soon (and once inside the box a foul would have resulted in a penalty).

sure this is not the best defensive effort ever..... but honestly it's not really poor either.... and however it's still way better than the average defensive efforts in premiership (just to be clear, man utd, liverpool, city, everton and chelsea do not represent the premiership standard).

Yesterday Cassano scored a nice goal, humililating atalanta's defensive line. but sure u won't hear anybody complaining about atalanta's defenders mistakes (except del neri, of course), because when a guy can dribble 2 players keeping the ball 20\30 centimeters far from his foot, then u have to praise the scorer rather than blaming the defenders. ;))

Peter said:
To be frank, I haven't see enough of him, so I wouldn't call him world class or something special after scoring a one of a kind goal like that
yeah definitely. me too i can't really say what this guy is really about, as i didn't see him playing enough. but still, anytime i saw him, he gave me a pretty good impression :))

Last edited:
Ben, i agree with almost everything you write, except that Dembele is a forward and not a midfielder.
Occasionally Van Gaal plays Dembele in midfield however and i'm not sure if he played as a midfielder or a forward in that particular match.

Last weekend, he once again scored two goals...

Ben, i agree with almost everything you write, except that Dembele is a forward and not a midfielder.
Occasionally Van Gaal plays Dembele in midfield however and i'm not sure if he played as a midfielder or a forward in that particular match.

:SS
really?
i saw him playing about 6 or 7 times in the last 2 years and he was always lined up in centre-midfield.
well, my bad then :PP
cheers for the info Gerd :))

edit:
oh no wait, now that i think about it, he was playing upfront this summer against italy in a friendly match...:PP

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom