Star Wars

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
I saw the first one on a tape when I was a really young child, thought it was absolute crap. Never liked it, always hated sci-fi films and sci-fi nerds. Well after playing Mass Effect I was so into it I bought Oblivion and I'm really starting to like it now, and sometime at the weekend Star Wars was on - Attack Of The Clones. I only caught bits of it but I bloody loved it and I was really shocked. This was truly my face. -> :eek:

So, I have a brother-in-law (not the FIFA one) who is a massive NEEEEEERD (said Homer Simpson styleé), and he is going to lend me them all. BUT...

MY QUESTION IS, because they were released in a totally screwed-up order, how do I watch them? First to last, or in the order they were released?

Do you understand the story more if you watch them in the order they were released, or do I watch them in the proper order?

As a Star Wars fan, I completely hate the new 3. I hate how its filmed, I hate the special effects and I dislike some of the actors except Ewan Mcgregor. I think they made it so that you watch the original 3 first, then the newer 3. Either way you will understand the story.

I honestly feel the original 3 are masterpieces with incredible effects that were ahead of their time. If you start with the recent 3 releases, you might feel the original 3 are disappointing in terms of all the FX and filming.

In fact, I recently got Episode 4,5 and 6 in HD to enjoy over the Christmas holidays.

I saw the first one on a tape when I was a really young child, thought it was absolute crap. Never liked it, always hated sci-fi films and sci-fi nerds. Well after playing Mass Effect I was so into it I bought Oblivion and I'm really starting to like it now, and sometime at the weekend Star Wars was on - Attack Of The Clones. I only caught bits of it but I bloody loved it and I was really shocked. This was truly my face. -> :eek:

So, I have a brother-in-law (not the FIFA one) who is a massive NEEEEEERD (said Homer Simpson styleé), and he is going to lend me them all. BUT...

MY QUESTION IS, because they were released in a totally screwed-up order, how do I watch them? First to last, or in the order they were released?

Do you understand the story more if you watch them in the order they were released, or do I watch them in the proper order?

My brother is a HUUUUUGE Star Wars fan. It has been part of my life since I can remember.

Watch the original ones first (the old ones with Mark Hammil, Harrison Ford and co.). When you watch the prequals (the new films with Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman and co.) they make sense. I always say to myself "Wow, now that makes sense" etc.

All of the films are brilliant in my opinion. You HAVE to remember they are kids films so try not to take them too seriously. Real good entertainment with a fantastic story. George Lucas had a HUUUUGE world in his head - I respect and love his work personally. :)

Big fan, I own all the action fleet ships (google it :)) and video games.

Yes the "true" trilogy is a masterpiece but the recent films are nice and made for new viewers and kids. I don't think it alters episodes 4-5-6. As Plan M said, they complete the Universe. Star Wars is more than just the first trilogy and the first hardcore fans can't like it.

The Empire Strikes Back is brilliant (best story) but my favourite film is Return of The Jedi. Classsss !!!

And yes, you should watch the saga following the release order.

• Staff
I was forced to watch The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi as a kid. I can't quite put into words how much I hated them; I would have rather licked a bit of sick than watch them. Which, as I said, is why I was so surprised that I found myself glued to Attack Of The Clones, I was sitting there thinking "this is brilliant, I finally understand sci-fi nerds".

I've just realised that the newer ones are first so I'll probably watch them in the correct order rather than the release order, to put off having to watch the 70s/80s ones as long as possible. :p

Big fan, I own all the action fleet ships (google it :)) and video games.

The Empire Strikes Back is brilliant (best story) but my favourite film is Return of The Jedi. Classsss !!!

Haha if you remember Micro Machines toys, I had EVERY SINGLE Star Wars space ship possible before the release of the new 3. I also have 2 lightsabers and most of the SW games that come out! I loved Rogue Squadron, the Star Wars game for N64 and KOTOR. Jedi Knights is also quite fun!

The original three were way ahead of their time. The storyline was great too.

The thing is, with the understanding of Darth Vader's relationship with Luke being practically general knowledge now, the story hasn't got that edge it once had. My dad told me how people were properly shocked when it was first revealed - a bit like say Usual Suspects and Sixth Sense surprised us recently (although I think the extent of SW was far greater).

I personally think Attack of the Clones and the Sith one were quite good. The Phantom Menace was shocking by any standards.

• Staff
I was just thinking that about the ending, I know he's going to say "Luke I am your father" when, and I swear to you this is true, I don't have a clue who Luke is. No idea. But I'll be finding out soon.

Jar

Jar

Binks

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Jar Jar binks was a cunt - totally ruined that film for me.

I loved the original 3 - got totally pissed off with the first two new ones, so much so I still haven't watched the last one.

I will get them all on dvd and watch them again. I've been told the last one is the best of the new ones.

Yeah Ep 3 is the best of the newer trilogy. Makes you wonder why he bothered with 1 and 2 :)

George Lucas and his team must be credited on how they managed to put the pieces together and created the 3 prequels.I mean the first film hit the ground running with the plot and left many dumbfounded and blinded at the same time because of the hype.It was a very special film when it was first released.My two favourites had to be Return of The Jedi and Revenge of The Sith.These two really filled in the missing pieces of the Star Wars jigsaw.

Jack, watch them in release order its the only way.

For me the only weak film out of the 6 is Ep1 The Phantom Menace. Ep3 Revenge of the Sith is excellent, it completes the story.

My fav out of the lot though is Empire Strikes Back, its a darker film than the rest (you will all know the bit with Han Solo - you know what I am talking about, apart from you Jack! ;)).

Star Wars was a big part of my childhood. Can't wait to get all 6 on Blu Ray!

Back
Top Bottom