Rego Park, Germany
Team Heffernan
logo.jpg

Platforms: PS4 / PC / Xbox
Release Date: Summer 2020
Manufacturer: Codemasters
Developer: Slightly Mad Studios
Genre: Racing
Description: Get ready for Your Ultimate Driver Journey. Own, upgrade and customize hundreds of elite-brand road- and race-cars, personalize your racing hero, then race your way up from weekend warrior to racing legend in stunning global locations. Project CARS 3. Summer 2020 on PS4.
Trailer:
First look video:
Additional Information:
SqkzNya.png

this doesn't look anything like project cars. Looks more like mobile arcade game.

this doesn't look anything like project cars. Looks more like mobile arcade game.
dont know what to make of the trailer and the beta gameplay footage. i have the feeling the game is loosing some of the sim roots... but the developer assured its just more entry friendly for new players! we'll see.

kinda like: driveclub meets nfs meets grid = PC3! ;)

i just bought PC2 last weekend. did not see that game coming! did anyone!? :LOL:

Last edited:
The comments on the gameplay vid suggest this is more of a spin-off than a true successor - it's designed to be an arcade game.

So... You've created a whole series (Project Cars) because you don't think racing games are good enough simulations, and you think they should be more serious... Then after two games, and attracting a hardcore crowd... You produce this? None of your fans want this, what the fuck? There are plenty of arcade games.

No interest in this whatsoever, seems like a totally stupid decision.

I remember being grateful when PCars2 was released for PS4 as it was so rare to get a "sim" racer on console. Then I played it and the handling and physics were underwhelming, to say the least.

Then I upgraded my PC earlier this year, so was able to play some real racing sims and boy, it really made me realise just how poor PCars2 is - beautiful to look at, full of brilliant features, but absolutely terrible to drive in comparison.

When I heard Codemasters had bought up SMS, it was pretty obvious PCars3 was only going to become more arcadey and the new video clearly confirms this. I'm so glad I'm not relying on it any more for my sim fix.

I remember being grateful when PCars2 was released for PS4 as it was so rare to get a "sim" racer on console. Then I played it and the handling and physics were underwhelming, to say the least.

Then I upgraded my PC earlier this year, so was able to play some real racing sims and boy, it really made me realise just how poor PCars2 is - beautiful to look at, full of brilliant features, but absolutely terrible to drive in comparison.

When I heard Codemasters had bought up SMS, it was pretty obvious PCars3 was only going to become more arcadey and the new video clearly confirms this. I'm so glad I'm not relying on it any more for my sim fix.
What do you play now, out of interest?

What do you play now, out of interest?

The beauty of coming to sim racing now is I have been able to pick up quite a few excellent sims that are now a few years old, so cost hardly any money (if you get them on sale).

My favourite is Automobilista 1 (AMS1), which I picked up for £5 on Steam sale a few months ago. I love its physics and car handling and it has very good AI that are very convincing to race against. Plenty of excellent free mods available.

As goalgerd mentioned above, Automobilista 2 exists - it cost £25 for early access release but I think it goes to full release very soon, so price will go up to about £40. It uses the same SMS engine that PCars2 does, so looks great and has the same excellent full dynamic weather system, etc, but seems to carry through some of the iffy physics and AI from PCars2. Reiza Studios have been working on improving that, but for me, they still have some way to go. It has the potential to be the best but I currently much prefer AMS1.

Assetto Corsa - picked this up as part of a bundle of games, so effectively cost about £1.50. Car handling is great, AI is adequate, loads of brilliant free mods.

RaceRoom (R3E) - costs about £55 for the full package but very good sim. You can try it for free - you get a few cars and tracks. You then have to pay for additonal content.

rFactor2 - I only have the demo and am waiting for it to go on Steam sale. Love the handling. Physics and AI are reputed to be amongst best in business. Apparently can take a bit of faffing around to get the best out of it but I'd rather have that than a no-faff game that only ever plays like crap.

I haven't tried iRacing but it's supposed to be very good - however, it's subscription only so works out very expensive in the long term.

Also haven't tried Assetto Corsa Competizione (ACC) - also supposed to be good but I already have more than enough to keep me entertained.

The beauty of coming to sim racing now is I have been able to pick up quite a few excellent sims that are now a few years old, so cost hardly any money (if you get them on sale).

My favourite is Automobilista 1 (AMS1), which I picked up for £5 on Steam sale a few months ago. I love its physics and car handling and it has very good AI that are very convincing to race against. Plenty of excellent free mods available.

As goalgerd mentioned above, Automobilista 2 exists - it cost £25 for early access release but I think it goes to full release very soon, so price will go up to about £40. It uses the same SMS engine that PCars2 does, so looks great and has the same excellent full dynamic weather system, etc, but seems to carry through some of the iffy physics and AI from PCars2. Reiza Studios have been working on improving that, but for me, they still have some way to go. It has the potential to be the best but I currently much prefer AMS1.

Assetto Corsa - picked this up as part of a bundle of games, so effectively cost about £1.50. Car handling is great, AI is adequate, loads of brilliant free mods.

RaceRoom (R3E) - costs about £55 for the full package but very good sim. You can try it for free - you get a few cars and tracks. You then have to pay for additonal content.

rFactor2 - I only have the demo and am waiting for it to go on Steam sale. Love the handling. Physics and AI are reputed to be amongst best in business. Apparently can take a bit of faffing around to get the best out of it but I'd rather have that than a no-faff game that only ever plays like crap.

I haven't tried iRacing but it's supposed to be very good - however, it's subscription only so works out very expensive in the long term.

Also haven't tried Assetto Corsa Competizione (ACC) - also supposed to be good but I already have more than enough to keep me entertained.
Are you planning on settling with one or two titles?!
I love the sim software offers on PC. I hope the PS5 will bring enough power to manage better physics and such.

I have problems finding time to invest in all the good sims. I stuck with GTS (the series i love the most), AC (for its physics part) and Pcars2. These 3 demand enough time. Wish I had a game the offers all the pros each of them brings to the table.

Are you planning on settling with one or two titles?!
I love the sim software offers on PC. I hope the PS5 will bring enough power to manage better physics and such.

I have problems finding time to invest in all the good sims. I stuck with GTS (the series i love the most), AC (for its physics part) and Pcars2. These 3 demand enough time. Wish I had a game the offers all the pros each of them brings to the table.

Automobolista 1 for me. It has more of the pros required to make the perfect sim than any others I've tried - great physics, handling, AI and an excellent custom championship mode...along with a strong lineup of free mods. The gfx aren't as good as in AMS2/PCars2 but they're good enough. I can still hardly believe it cost less than £5.

AMS2 may eventually surpass it with its superior gfx engine, including VR support, but apparently doesn't support modding. They have something like a 4 year development plan, so plenty of improvement to come and they also have porting to consoles on their long-term plan, if things work out.

I think current gen consoles can handle the physics no problem. I think the main reason there are so few proper sims on console is because there's an assumption by developers that console players want pick-up-and-play driving with pretty gfx rather than realistic, unforgiving physics and, to be fair, many console users probably do only want that.

Automobolista 1 for me. It has more of the pros required to make the perfect sim than any others I've tried - great physics, handling, AI and an excellent custom championship mode...along with a strong lineup of free mods. The gfx aren't as good as in AMS2/PCars2 but they're good enough. I can still hardly believe it cost less than £5.

AMS2 may eventually surpass it with its superior gfx engine, including VR support, but apparently doesn't support modding. They have something like a 4 year development plan, so plenty of improvement to come and they also have porting to consoles on their long-term plan, if things work out.

I think current gen consoles can handle the physics no problem. I think the main reason there are so few proper sims on console is because there's an assumption by developers that console players want pick-up-and-play driving with pretty gfx rather than realistic, unforgiving physics and, to be fair, many console users probably do only want that.
The majority surely does and I totally get that it’s hard to please all of the audience.
Sim fans on console are getting more every day, my guts telling me.
I sure enjoyed F Zero, Bleifuss... some Driveclub... but, I don’t know, for a few years I prefer sims.
Wished the NFS series came back to its glory days. Thats an arcade Racer i have very good memories about. Motorstorm, bring back that arcady beast!!
Non-open-world burnout with amazing effects (I’m talking thousands of pieces). Bring that back!
Just a few titles to show I’m not shy enjoying arcade racers. ;)

Seen some AMS2 videos. 🤤

Let’s end it with: I’m hoping for PSVR 2.0 on PS5. :) fingers crossed it will work out as i planned it in my head....

200.gif

Last edited:

Above video gives a bit more in-depth information. PC3 would of been a no-brainer for me if they just build further on PC2 but with all these resources spend on making it more accessible i wonder if the core sim experience will have progressed enough to justify buying it.

Last edited:
I didn't think PC1 & 2 were very good on the PS4. This looks better I think.

Last edited:
:LMAO::BRMM::CONF:

I hope they didn't want money from us for this masterpiece...

😑

Back
Top Bottom