I'm calling OUT ALL PES/WE and FIFA games to do one thing...

iluvnineties

Banned
18 April 2008
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
FC Porto
Hey guys,

I have been playing PES/WE for ages now, and we all know that recently FIFA has improved a lot and MANY folks believe FIFA nowdays is the king of football sim. While this may or may not be true I'd really like to hear all you professional, elite, PES/WE and FIFA gurus to compare these two games: FIFA 09 and PES 09. Again, this is not FIFA 09 VS PES 09, it's more like comparison. What I want to know from you is, what do you dislike and what you like about each game. But the most important question would be: What game do you think plays life-like, giving you ultimate football experience. Which one is more realistic ?

- Body movement
- The way players behave on the field
- The actual gameplay
- Which AI is better
- Ball physics
- Graphics

And scoring goals, which one does give you more excitement. When you score a screamer it leaves you breathless ??

Let's have a good, mature discussion, no BS, no bias just straight honest answer from the both sides, FIFA and PES fans all united

BRING IT ON!

- body movement:- fifa players move more smoother and slick while pes, players do the robot.
_ reactions on field:- pes still kinda robotic on this, you only need to watch replays for this.
- gameplay:- fifa has vastly improved this year and offers something different than before, where pes doesn't offer much difference. d-pad for skills was a bad idea from konami.
- AI:- Pes, on hardest mode, you can always win if you put little back bone into it. fifa, is more challenging on legendary mode.
- ball Physics:- pes for me, the ball physics are so good but just the shooting is horrible sometimes, fifa has good one also but sometimes the way ball bounces out the net etc.
- graphics:- this is a toughy, i'd say fifa as when playing, you do kinda feel like your watching a real game sometimes, where pes looks a little cartoonish(?)

also like to note that im was a pesfan boy ;)

so this is an honest opinion.

- body movement:- fifa players move more smoother and slick while pes, players do the robot.
_ reactions on field:- pes still kinda robotic on this, you only need to watch replays for this.
- gameplay:- fifa has vastly improved this year and offers something different than before, where pes doesn't offer much difference. d-pad for skills was a bad idea from konami.
- AI:- Pes, on hardest mode, you can always win if you put little back bone into it. fifa, is more challenging on legendary mode.
- ball Physics:- pes for me, the ball physics are so good but just the shooting is horrible sometimes, fifa has good one also but sometimes the way ball bounces out the net etc.
- graphics:- this is a toughy, i'd say fifa as when playing, you do kinda feel like your watching a real game sometimes, where pes looks a little cartoonish(?)

also like to note that im was a pesfan boy ;)

so this is an honest opinion.

ditto

i've been pes/we/iss fanboy since 1998 up until pes2009, even modding the game too, but after playing pes2009,seeing little improvement from Pes2008, then i thought i'd give fifa 09 a go and it was like a breath of fresh air,it was almost like the moment i discovered ISS back on ps1 after only having fifa to play! I've come full circle back to fifa lol

which is why i traded in pes2009 the other day for call of duty, cos i wont be playing it again, it was impossible to play online anyway!(LAG)! breaks my heart to say it but FIFA 09 is the new king of footy!!

I'd say FIFA wins on all those things, especially gameplay and AI (the two things that PES was so superior at at it's peak).

Regarding the last question about how enjoyable goals are - scoring a goal on all assisted on FIFA is just shite and it doesn't even feel like you've scored a goal, on manual if I score a goal from a great pass or passing move or a screamer, it's a great feeling, nothing better in gaming imo.

For me it's

- Body movement - FIFA - Much more fluid. I find some animations in PES too "robotic". There are marvelous details, from positioning the body for receiving / passing / shooting to off the ball movements.

- The way players behave on the field - This one I'd have to say it's a tie. FIFA players tend to make some akwards decisions (crabwalking comes to mind, but it will be fixed), but in general it is superior to PES, which despite not being so close to reality it is much more stable.

- The actual gameplay - Again FIFA - Accurate pace, the difference between playing against a team from Portugal, England or Italy.

- Which AI is better - It's a tie again - FIFA is better in some areas: off the ball player movement for example, but, again, PES seems to be more stable with less erroneous decisions. And in FIFA there's the problem about difficulty: on one hand your winning all games 2 or 3-0 and then when you step up a notch you tend to draw and lose a lot.

- Ball physics - PES, by a little margin - Great effort from both of them.

- Graphics - FIFA - While PES is a LOT more polished, FIFA outshines it in every department. When loading a game, and you transfer from the arena into the stadium... It's overwhelming. The sense of scale in terms of players / pitch / stadium is much better in FIFA.

In my opinion FIFA is (never thought I'd say this) the better games this year.
Playing on MANUAL and scoring a long range effort is really satisfying. PES can't come close. When you feel you have much much more control over what you are doing, and you do a lovely move and finish it with a goal, be it from a team or individual effort, it can't be much more satisfying than that.
I'd say buy'em both for those who can afford it (despite I have played only four matches in PES since lauch day, I'm sure it's day will come).

Last edited:
I've seen this thread just now.. I'm not that habituée of the FIFA forum yet, so I've seen it with a little delay.. And in my post I'll talk only about PC anyway..

- Graphics: PES
On PC, PES2009 graphics are clean and realistic, except for the keeper gloves maybe. Footballs in FIFA09 look way too big for example, and also kits and player faces are not at the same level as PES2009.

- Body movement: FIFA
I can't stand players running like they've got a big skewer up their spine like happens all the time in PES2009. I'm not saying FIFA09 is perfect, it has its own flaws.. But players DO actually run in a better way, and (most important) goalies DO actually dive/save in a realistic way.

- The way players behave on the field: FIFA
When I kick a through ball, I expect a player of mine to run for it and to reach it. Players in FIFA09 perform great runs off the ball, and I can manage to put a man one on one against the keeper. Playing with Vale I don't have so many chances to score, so having a man that actually runs in the space when/where needed is very important for me. Player runs in FIFA09 just appear "wrong", I can't say it in a different way. Players just don't go where I expect them to go, and if they eventually do, the run will begin often too late.

- The actual gameplay: FIFA once again
Well, on PC none of the two is good enough to be compared to FIFA09 for 360 but I just have to be happy with this. Every engine has its good things and its flaws, but the FIFA09 one just gives you more freedom (e.g. the manual through ball, once you get used you really can't play without it anymore) and so gets my vote.

- Which AI is better: TIE
They both have something to be proud of, they both have something to be ashamed of. The PES2009 one is better when it comes to attack (FIFA09 attacking moves performed by the CPU are too "dribble-based" for my taste) while the FIFA09 one is better when it comes to defence: I barely can get dangerous in FIFA09 if I don't perform a precise through ball or a very skillful move (and playing with Vale, performing a skillful move to beat the defender is difficult, trust me). On the other hand, PES2009 defenders seem to suffer too much from through balls in my opinion.
Personally, I like more the FIFA09 one because you "feel more the heat" when you're an underdog, but it's a matter of taste.

- Ball physics: TIE
Both of them can be improved, and like the AI every game has its own pro's and con's. FIFA09 physics feel better while shooting (you feel more in control, and the shot is actually weak/strong according to your will) and while performing through balls (PES2009 ones always seem either overhit or too weak), while PES2009 physics feel better during aerial challenges (in FIFA09 headers are always too weak in my opinion) and short passes (please, someone tell EA that when you make a short pass the ball is NOT meant to bounce off the ground). Both games don't provide a good feeling about long passes too. PES2009 ones are "artificial" while FIFA09 ones just seem too much "bounce-controlled" (when I kick a long ball I usually don't expect it to stop after only a rebound unless I'm playing futsal).

Then, I add also a little thought about finishing: scoring in FIFA09 (world class difficulty, also keepers set to world class) is way more satisfying than scoring in PES2009.
I found myself quite crying after some classy goals in FIFA09, it happened just a few times with PES5 (when you score with Treviso against Chelsea you just cannot hold back), never with PES2009..

To sum this endless post up, if I had to choose between FIFA09 and PES2009, I'd choose FIFA.
..Well, when it comes to choose between FIFA09 and PES6 the choice is not that easy anymore..

I've seen this thread just now.. I'm not that habituée of the FIFA forum yet, so I've seen it with a little delay.. And in my post I'll talk only about PC anyway..

- Graphics: PES
On PC, PES2009 graphics are clean and realistic, except for the keeper gloves maybe. Footballs in FIFA09 look way too big for example, and also kits and player faces are not at the same level as PES2009.

- Body movement: FIFA
I can't stand players running like they've got a big skewer up their spine like happens all the time in PES2009. I'm not saying FIFA09 is perfect, it has its own flaws.. But players DO actually run in a better way, and (most important) goalies DO actually dive/save in a realistic way.

- The way players behave on the field: FIFA
When I kick a through ball, I expect a player of mine to run for it and to reach it. Players in FIFA09 perform great runs off the ball, and I can manage to put a man one on one against the keeper. Playing with Vale I don't have so many chances to score, so having a man that actually runs in the space when/where needed is very important for me. Player runs in FIFA09 just appear "wrong", I can't say it in a different way. Players just don't go where I expect them to go, and if they eventually do, the run will begin often too late.

- The actual gameplay: FIFA once again
Well, on PC none of the two is good enough to be compared to FIFA09 for 360 but I just have to be happy with this. Every engine has its good things and its flaws, but the FIFA09 one just gives you more freedom (e.g. the manual through ball, once you get used you really can't play without it anymore) and so gets my vote.

- Which AI is better: TIE
They both have something to be proud of, they both have something to be ashamed of. The PES2009 one is better when it comes to attack (FIFA09 attacking moves performed by the CPU are too "dribble-based" for my taste) while the FIFA09 one is better when it comes to defence: I barely can get dangerous in FIFA09 if I don't perform a precise through ball or a very skillful move (and playing with Vale, performing a skillful move to beat the defender is difficult, trust me). On the other hand, PES2009 defenders seem to suffer too much from through balls in my opinion.
Personally, I like more the FIFA09 one because you "feel more the heat" when you're an underdog, but it's a matter of taste.

- Ball physics: TIE
Both of them can be improved, and like the AI every game has its own pro's and con's. FIFA09 physics feel better while shooting (you feel more in control, and the shot is actually weak/strong according to your will) and while performing through balls (PES2009 ones always seem either overhit or too weak), while PES2009 physics feel better during aerial challenges (in FIFA09 headers are always too weak in my opinion) and short passes (please, someone tell EA that when you make a short pass the ball is NOT meant to bounce off the ground). Both games don't provide a good feeling about long passes too. PES2009 ones are "artificial" while FIFA09 ones just seem too much "bounce-controlled" (when I kick a long ball I usually don't expect it to stop after only a rebound unless I'm playing futsal).

Then, I add also a little thought about finishing: scoring in FIFA09 (world class difficulty, also keepers set to world class) is way more satisfying than scoring in PES2009.
I found myself quite crying after some classy goals in FIFA09, it happened just a few times with PES5 (when you score with Treviso against Chelsea you just cannot hold back), never with PES2009..

To sum this endless post up, if I had to choose between FIFA09 and PES2009, I'd choose FIFA.
..Well, when it comes to choose between FIFA09 and PES6 the choice is not that easy anymore..

At the root of it FIFA 09 PC is FIFA2002 with player corpses drawn of the morgue....
And PES2009 is PES1 with fancy graphics slapped on it...
Its exactly like comparing PES1 and Fifa2002...

Back
Top Bottom