EURO 2012 DLC Pack

Re: No Euro Game From EA

FIFA Road To World Cup 98

It was often referred to as "FIFA 98" though, it was regarded as a sequel in the series, just cashing in on France 98 and having the cockrel mascot in it. If I remember rightly there were about 150 national teams and you could play a full qualifying campaign. It was my favourite FIFA for a while because it had indoor mode and an ingame editor so I could put my own teams in. World Cup 98 was out about six months after but it only had about 40 teams, the finalists plus a few extras.

Also FIFA 2002 had a load of national teams too but a number of them had fake kits and players named "Number X", and some continents were missing, and no World Cup final mode either.

International teams...Meh.

Last time I enjoyed playing internationals was with ISS I think, purely due to valderama's barnet.

You can do full qualifiers for all international teams in fifa wc SA 2010 I believe?

Sorry Placebo but which important leagues are missing from PES? Bundesliga is the only one and I have that in there via an option file. It's nice to have the Australian league in there for me on FIFA plus seeing some of the other world wide leagues but I'm sure EA sports have these in there to sell more games to different countries rather than just giving us a more authentic experience.

Tournament games aside, FIFA has almost no feel to it when playing an international game but PES to me, really comes alive when you play internationals.

I'd rather have the top few leagues in the world and lots of international teams than every obscure league in the world and a few top international sides with generic looking kits. My 2 cents...

Err do you mean:

FIFA: Road to World Cup 98

Or

World Cup 98

Wow such a surprise that either of those had lots of National teams... ;)

As far as I'm aware there was no "normal" Fifa98 was there?

From what I can recall, Fifa 94 & 95 had more national teams than Fifa 12. Imo, Fifa 12 should have all national teams in when compared to a Sega Mega Drive game that was greatly smaller in size. Now with dvds, blu-rays and Hdds, what's stopping them? And imo, having "Fifa" in their title implies Official Fifa product > All national teams in etc. If they cannot be up to the "Fifa"-ness then they should change their name as it's deceiving to me. But of course, they won't, because marketing always comes first and not the user-base nowadays. And of course, it's just my opinion. I'm not one who likes marketing strategies that deceive users to fatten companies' pockets. Anyway I won't derail this any further.

International teams...Meh.

Same, have no interest in International teams, if they remove them completely it's no great loss to me.

Sorry Placebo but which important leagues are missing from PES?

EPL, Championship, League 1, League 2 for a start...

Imo, Fifa 12 should have all national teams in when compared to a Sega Mega Drive game that was greatly smaller in size.

"should"? I cannot see any kind of logic there, "should" Fifa have all the same leagues that sensible world of soccer had? "Should" Fifa have the same number of players that sensible soccer had? I mean that was just a little game taking a few megabytes, irrelevant that in those times there was almost no licensing restrictions, irrelevant that even 10 years ago licensing national teams was much cheaper, much simpler, but hey this is the Internet, why should facts and reality get in the way of an argument? ;)

Seriously? Other than the name and a logo it's exactly the same in CM, same rules and everything.

Does it have the same rules though?
As playing CM with a team like Exeter, FIFA have the rules wrong on pretty much every competition I have come across.

But it doesnt have the music :(

Custom entrance music...

Does it have the same rules though?
As playing CM with a team like Exeter, FIFA have the rules wrong on pretty much every competition I have come across.

Really? Can't say I've seen anything leap out as "that's the wrong rules", any examples?

well adboards, scoreboard, music, jersey, trophy etc etc. it makes for a nice change of pace if u ask me. It has that "big event" thing which gives me that extra motivation to play.

EA is charging 15 euros for all this stuff for national teams...and i read somewhere there is no qualifiers...which sucks big time as qualifying is actually the fun part of these kinda games. Otherwise i'll just download some mods (i already did actually).

But decent player models and decent tactical menu' is all fifa needs right now.

Was about to say something regarding qualification, with PES' Champions League mode you don't do the qualification do you? As in play the full league fixtures aiming for a top 4 spot? In Fifa that's what I enjoy most, more than actually competing in a tournament but the race to actually qualify it, can I make it to 7th place to get into the Uefa cup, can I get into the top4 to make the UCL etc. etc.

you can't really compare the euro qualifiers with groups of 6-7 teams with the champions league preliminary rounds, can't you?

If i buy the euro/WC game i exepct to be able to do the full qualifying phase, it is the fun part of it.

No I wasn't comparing the two, just sharing my opinion on qualification as a principle, obviously any tournament game should have the full qualification rounds, has it been confirmed that the Euro DLC won't have qualification?

Was about to say something regarding qualification, with PES' Champions League mode you don't do the qualification do you? As in play the full league fixtures aiming for a top 4 spot? In Fifa that's what I enjoy most, more than actually competing in a tournament but the race to actually qualify it, can I make it to 7th place to get into the Uefa cup, can I get into the top4 to make the UCL etc. etc.

Yes you do, in Football Life. Champions League mode is just a distillation of the CL tournament into an isolated competition, but it is otherwise fully built into PES's career mode, as is the Europa League. It's only the Copa Libertadores that doesn't have this sort of integration, and is only a tournament mode without offering a fully-fledged campaign.

Edit: http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/lack-of-qualifers-gameplay-improvements-in-euro-dlc-explained/

Last edited:

Aha, seems a strange decision, with the world cup game the only thing I ever did was qualifying, either as Singapore or South Africa, none of the other countries interested me that much. Well yet another reason not to buy something I already wasn't buying :)

"should"? I cannot see any kind of logic there, "should" Fifa have all the same leagues that sensible world of soccer had? "Should" Fifa have the same number of players that sensible soccer had? I mean that was just a little game taking a few megabytes, irrelevant that in those times there was almost no licensing restrictions, irrelevant that even 10 years ago licensing national teams was much cheaper, much simpler, but hey this is the Internet, why should facts and reality get in the way of an argument? ;)

I'm comparing Fifa's Sega mega drive game, Fifa 95, to this gen's Fifa which is way ahead in everything except national teams that for an odd reason shrunk in number when it should be the opposite. But why do they care about my opinion anyway? Like you posted before, clubs is where the money's at. I'm just thinking from a gamer's perspective.

I don't see how you can compare something from 1995, the costs and complexities of licensing these days is staggering compared to 17 years ago, the commercial world has changed, hell there's a good chance nobody even paid for licensing in those days, certainly there's no way SWOS paid for all the teams it used.

I don't see how you can compare something from 1995, the costs and complexities of licensing these days is staggering compared to 17 years ago, the commercial world has changed, hell there's a good chance nobody even paid for licensing in those days, certainly there's no way SWOS paid for all the teams it used.

Why do all the national teams need to be licensed? They are not in PES and it has a very good selection from all continents.

Just because that's how EA roll. There have been one or two exceptions in the recent past, but only because there was no real option to leave such high profile sides out, or individual clubs within an otherwise fully licensed league. Not saying I disagree with you, but unlicensed teams are a bigger deal to EA than Konami because authenticity at that level is what FIFA is based on. That's more or less the reason I was given in the past when asking why the game can't have CPU managers with traits and styles who can change clubs. Getting that sort of thing licensed is apparently very tricky for EA, and using fake manager names was not considered to be an option.

I think Sensible Software did pay something for real players and leagues in SWOS, obviously not much and nothing compared to the asking price for licences and image rights today. I remember Sensible Soccer on the Megadrive had fake team names and the players had the real names but mis-spelled by changing the first vowel (e.g. "Highbury" had "Oan Wroght" as striker), and then brought out a re-release a few months later with the corrected player and team names and a few extra teams (virtually the same game!).

However in terms of the FIFA series and licences and authenticity, a scan through the teams in FIFA 12 reveals a number of teams are fake; Brazilian league has mostly fake team names, as does Italy Serie B and Portugal. The Polish league has all false names/logos for the teams, even though they were all licenced in FIFA 11. All of the fake name teams do have real players, but that is a situation not unlike what we see in PES.

Last edited:

I thought the Brazilian league was something like 1/3 fake? Didn't realise it was "mostly", also only knew of a couple of Italian teams, didn't know all Serie B/Poland/Portugal were, that's pretty bad, glad I'm not a fan of those leagues/teams as it would definitely suck to play as a fake team.

Seems fun to me, defo gives some longetivity for your cash. And would be cool to face off against other humans with their built up teams online.

Don't like it at all. Seems to be a rip off of the world tour mode from FIFA Street. Suits that game perfectly but not this one. Should be the tournament mode, exhibition mode, full qualification mode and scenario/challenge mode. Not this "fun" concept. Why would I play a Euro game if not for the actual Euro tournament?!

Is it true that there´s no qualification stage for Euro in the new DLC??????

waste of money. what´s the point of having more than 100 national teams if there´s no qualify stage?

Don't like it at all. Seems to be a rip off of the world tour mode from FIFA Street. Suits that game perfectly but not this one. Should be the tournament mode, exhibition mode, full qualification mode and scenario/challenge mode. Not this "fun" concept. Why would I play a Euro game if not for the actual Euro tournament?!

I thought all you mention above was included but if they have dropped scenarios and qualifiers for this mode then thats a bad call

Yeah sorry mate. I was writing what I thought should be in there. Doesn't sound like it though :( Maybe I won't get it after all!

Back
Top Bottom