Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait aka Zidane, un portrait du 21e siècle

rockykabir

hello
30 March 2003
London -> New York -> San Francisco
Liverpool FC
5968poster.jpg

I've been hearing a lot about this docufilm. It's been released here in the UK for a while although mostly in the arthouse cinemas (I haven't watched it yet though :( )

The gist of it is that the entire 90 minutes of the movie is Zidane filmed during a league match between Real Madrid and Villareal with a highly acclaimed soundtrack in the background.

That's it apparently :eh: :shock:

However, it's been getting some good reviews from some film critics. Have you seen it? is it a case of filming brilliance or plain ZZzzzzz (pun intended)

I wanna see it first before I buy the soundtrack tho..

Found a mini review on BBC:

[SIZE=-1] If you'd never heard of Real Madrid and France football captain Zinédine Zidane, then his career-defining head butt during the World Cup final probably changed all that. His moment of madness may serve as a double-edged sword for the makers of this doc; this enhanced profile will attract greater curiosity, but audiences may assume this is a career retrospective of a flawed genius. Ultimately, Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait is football as art installation.

Flipping convention on its head, this picture takes one ordinary league match: Real Madrid vs Villareal and trains no fewer than 17 cameras on Zidane for the duration of the game. Rather than follow the ball, or even examine Zidane's impact as a player, this intensely voyeuristic exercise follows his, and only his, every move and breath around the field. The experience is enhanced by a few subtitled quotes from the great man, and a mesmerising, Kevin Shields-esque soundscape from Scots art-rockers Mogwai.

"STRANGELY ENJOYABLE"

From the peculiar mannerisms, to his profuse sweating and spitting, the film offers a hypnotic, stalker-ish insight into Zidane's physical and psychological makeup. He says virtually nothing either to his team, opposing players or the ref; he is rarely involved in the game and looks uncomfortable when walking. But once in possession, Zidane glides across the field, creating acres of space and bags of time. It's like watching Big Cat Diary. Strangely enjoyable, this will hardly be the talk of the terraces. But at the end of the day, actions speak louder than words.

In Spanish with English subtitles.
[/SIZE]

Sounds really weird, and I will have to travel farto get to an "art house" LOL!

I saw this on Real Madrid TV, where it was being shown on some films show, Cannes maybe.

Back
Top Bottom