your worst moment/memory in football...

Portugal´s Euro 2004 final against Greece and the Euro 2000 semi-final against France.So close but yet so far...
Sporting losing the Superliga and the UEFA Cup in two weeks last year was awful too.I didn´t watch the final 10 min of the UEFA Cup because i was so angry,the only thing i wanted to do was to punch the damn TV screen.

ClericPreston said:
Portugal´s Euro 2004 final against Greece and the Euro 2000 semi-final against France.So close but yet so far...
Sporting losing the Superliga and the UEFA Cup in two weeks last year was awful too.I didn´t watch the final 10 min of the UEFA Cup because i was so angry,the only thing i wanted to do was to punch the damn TV screen.
The AZ Alkmaar vs. Sporting game was great to watch!! Classic

I already mentioned this earlier, but it just really fucking pisses me off!!!
Inter3-2 Milan in January.

Stupid Inter beat Milan after 5 years for the first time, in the bloody last second!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLF said:
The AZ Alkmaar vs. Sporting game was great to watch!! Classic

I lost 10 years of my life because of that match.My heart will not survive many more matches like that.One of the portuguese radio commentatores of that match deid in the next day because of heart complications.My scream after the winning goal in the last second of the match was so strong that i almost lost my voice.

Milanista said:
I already mentioned this earlier, but it just really fucking pisses me off!!!
Inter3-2 Milan in January.

Stupid Inter beat Milan after 5 years for the first time, in the bloody last second!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeh when Adriano popped up it really sent me crazy :(

But saying that I was already feeling down because at 2-2 it wouldnt of been a good result for us. With Juve moving away at that point we really had to win. A draw wouldve been useless. Obviously it got worse from there :(

Probably similar to how England fans were feeling against France in their opening games of Euro '04. With Zidane equalising Im sure you were already fed up...

Oh yeah I agree Harry! Anytime I see a serious racism like that it really makes me so sad that it'll be one of my worst memories. Or how few stupid Espanyol fans taunt their own goalkeeper Kameni with stupid monkey taunts and noises! or poor Zoro who was in tears :(

Big Boss said:
France '98 Semi Final vs. Brazil. The ref didnt give us a PK when Pierre van hooydonk was pulled down in the last seconds of injury time of second half. And then the misses of Cocu and R. de Boer.

Euro 2000 was even more awfull. In our own country losing the semi's to Italy when we should have won easily, 2 Pk's missed in normal time, and a ball on the post by Bergkamp, just couldnt believe it. Knew we had lost when it came to penalties at the end, and offcourse we did. Toldo was so on fire that day, it was unbelievable...

2001, qualifier against Ireland, we had to win, but lost 1-0 and missed out on the worldcup, despite having a superb squad of players.

well said bigboss very painful and u omtited the cause in 2001 mario melchiot if he had only stopped the cross!

My worst moments

Season 99/00: Benfica was trashed and humillated by Celta de Vigo at UEFA Cup in Spain in 7 - 0 in favour of Vigués.

Season 03/04: 24th of January, the young Hungarian football player star Miklós Fehér ("Miki" for supporters) died with a heart attack, he "said" good bye to the life with a ironic smile that will never be forgotten by SL Benfica supporters. :(

Euro 2004 The Final: Portugal loosing against the most defensive side (the Greece) by 0 - 1, the team with most beautiful football ever played at this competition was eleminated by the deathful greek counter-attack.

Deffo Arsenals last minute goal to win the championship in 88-89, i was sick as a pig and absoloutely gutted, cried my eyes out, mind you i was about 13 at the time and absoloutely passionate about Liverpool.

More recent where the fa cup final in 96 where i had to work in a supermarket during it down south, the place full of mancs and being told Cantona had scored the only goal, bloody jammy one at that.

total said:
Another moment to add: Arsenal - Wigan Carling Cup game.

come on man, carling cup? against a decent side when we were crap. it doesn't compare to losing in the CL or missing out on the prem on the last day of the season.

The best moment?
Being at the Ataturk stadium in Istanbul on 25.5.2005.
The best game EVER. It just can't get any better. And I was there. And Liverpool won :)

The worst moment?
Partizan - Artmedia 0:0, then Partizan losing on penalties (3rd round of LC qualifications)
Partizan - Hapoel Petach Tikva 2:5, couple of weeks later (qualification round for UEFA Cup League).

bradley1886 said:
come on man, carling cup? against a decent side when we were crap. it doesn't compare to losing in the CL or missing out on the prem on the last day of the season.

Still, it was a bad memory for me. I thought we had it in the pocket and then a silly mistake in the defence happened.

ClericPreston said:
I lost 10 years of my life because of that match.
I'm sorry to hear that mate! :mrgreen: :lol:

But anyways all joking aside, I know what you mean! It was a nail-biting / stressful classic match for a neutral like me. I can only imagine how Sporting and AZ fans were feeling in those moments.

gerd said:
The fact that my favourite football team (RWDM) ceased to exist due to a decision of... my wife...it's a long story...but in the end it all came down to one decision by off all people my wife...i must say that she took the right decision but i was not very happy... (neither was she)...I know that this may seem an unbelievable story but it is the thruth.

What do you mean mate? :eh: Sorry, don't understand.

As for me, Scotland, was too young to really say that 78 WC, but I remember I was a sad little dude after it all went pear-shaped. Probably between Mexico '86 when we couldn't get past Uruguay or in the Euro Champs in 96 when that fuckwit English team cost us. :mrgreen:

As for Celtic, Seville is a hard-one along with the league defeat straight after it and last season, the day before my wedding day watching those last few mins. :( I just got up from the pub, turned to the Rangers fans who where in there and told them to have a great night and left.

FD

This is easy:

Me and my mate went to Paris without tickets for the 1995 European Cup Winners Cup Final - Arsenal v Real Zaragoza.

We managed to find somewhere to stay on the day before the game and we also managed to get some tickets off a shifty looking bloke outside the ground who was selling tickets from the back of his Land Rover to all comers. It turned out they were in the "neutral area" which was mainly full of Gooners anyway.

The day of the game came, security was tight, we were held in a car park for what seemed like ages before the game with all the other Arsenal fans, must have been about 3 hours.

The game went to extra-time and at 1-1 was poised to go to pens when Nayim hit a speculative shot from inside our half (not the halfway line as people think!). Of course we all know what happened next, it went in. Humilation for big Dave Seaman and Arsenal. The fact it was scored by a ex-Spurs player just made it worse.

To cap it all off, we got lost on the way back on the Paris ring road, I think we made about 2 trips around it before finding our way out. We missed our ferry, making us even later. Got back to England 9am the next day and we stopped of at services on the M3 on the way back only to be laughed at by school kids on a day out about the result.

All in all a very, very bad trip.

Liverpool in 2001 Cup Final was also heartbreaking but not like ECWC in PAris in 1995.

PLF said:
I'm sorry to hear that mate! :mrgreen: :lol:

But anyways all joking aside, I know what you mean! It was a nail-biting / stressful classic match for a neutral like me. I can only imagine how Sporting and AZ fans were feeling in those moments.

True that, im glad im not an AZ Supporter, although i did feel verry sorry for them, they deserved that final...

I once travelled from Manchester to Exeter to watch Stockport (bad in itself) and the game was called off 20 minutes before kick off

In terms of results surely Euro 2004.. was really sad with the defeat on the final against the greeks.

But the really sadest moment I ever had in soccer was...

Jamor - Portuguese Cup Final Sporting - Benfica, the day a benfica fan murdered a Sporting fan with a flare, it hapened about 30m below me.

I was there very early. The sadness began early, when the police force arrived late and simply wanted to break their way on their trucks through the mob, causing avoidable mayhem.

Then came the entrance... I saw ppl having to throw apples away, for "securty reasons". Earlier in the morning I witnessed 2 trucks from the fan associations of both clubs entering without any control, taking "stuff" into the stadium without any police control.

Before game start a first very light was fired from the No Name boys, which crossed the stadium and ended just above our stand, igniting a tree. It was shot straight at our stand, not a "mortar" shot to the sky. Police did nothing, they should have halted everything at that point untill they could identify who had taken verylights into the stadium.

None was done. The game started. After a while benfica scores a goal. Suddently I see a white smoke trail across the field coming in our direction, about 20m above grass level. I had just the time to grab my sister and jump to the floor, when I got up I realised the rocket had droped lower in the final meters, about 30m below the point I was at.

The news broke quickly. A Sporting fan was brutally killed, his torso was complety blown by the rocket, he was bleeding to death a few meters below. Anger and sadness quiclky broke throughtout the stand, once all Sporting fans realised someone was killed. The game wasn't stopped, but the word quiclky spread out "we should all leave, this is too shameful, today there is not game". Sporting fans quietly and slowly started leaving the game, still in the first half, while the whole northern stand of benfica fans shouted offensive remarks like "já se vão embora" (are you leaving already?) as if we were leaving because of a early 1-0 goal and not because we had just witnessed the saddest moment of our lives as soccer fans.

I was very angry because I suddently realised that the same police forces that made ppl throw food out were also the same that let flares in the stadium. I shouted at a riot policemen in anger, he stood still, I could have got a good spanking there but I was crying in total anger.

The game went 3-1 I think to benfica, it was never halted. In the end more dismay as I heard Michel Preud'Homme saying on the radio something like "Yes, it was sad that someone died, but we won the cup and that's fantastic".

The incident went as an "accident" when it was obvious that it was assassination, since not one but 2 shots were fired horizontally, one missed us, the other killed one of us, it wasn't a single accidental shot nor a shot directed to the sky that accidentaly landed on us.

Although the flares were brough by No name, Benfica never punished No Name Boys. Not a single benfica "sócio" demanded justice against a supporter association that was famous of even attacking other benfica supporter fan associations.

The culprit, Hugo Inácio was charged with "involuntary" manslaughter" and caught a handful of years... after 2 years we fled from jail in misterious circunstances never to be caught once again.

2 seasons ago No Name Boys showed a flag in a game against Sporting saying:
"Hugo Inácio és o nosso herói" (Hugo Inácio you are our hero).
Never did a single benfica fan protested against this.

The Sporting fan killed was a poor man that left 2 kids and a widow in finantial dificulties. Sporting helped thev guys till today, as far as I know. I met them a year ago after a forum in which I participate decided to raise a christmas charity among us to offer them, we travelled to their city and offered them lunch, took photos and offered them our humble offer. His brother, a benfica fan told me: "Sporting never failed on us. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about benfica. They never talked to us".

This is the saddest moment in my soccer life and one that changed my views on soccer and even benfica and it's fans (not saying they are all killers, but never saw a single one quiting from being a socio or demanding for justice against No Name Boys because of this). Maybe now you can understand why for me there is healthy rivalry with Porto, Boavista, etc but not with Benfica. Benfica is for me something else. A club that protected and assassin and his fellow helpers, a club without a single fan that demanded justice and a club that never bothered to help the needed family.

If you read all this thank you and sorry for the sad story, but that was the issue here ;)

fd1972uk said:
What do you mean mate? :eh: Sorry, don't understand.FD

In Belgium we have a social security system.
Employers have to pay for the social security of their employees.
My wife works in the social security system.
My favourite football team had not payed for the social security of their players for 5 years despite having had reductions.
Belgian FA gives yearly licenses for prof teams and to obtain this license, they have to pay the social security for their players.
My wife decides if and when enough is enough for an employer...when their debts to the social security system are to big, they are declared bankrupt...
In the end my wife had to decide wether my favourite team could have a license from the FA...she decided that enough was enough and my favourite club went bankrupt and did not obtain a license and so they were relegated to the lowest local division in Belgium.

A couple of years later the people behind that club were able to buy th license of another second division club from around Brussels, the new club was renamed FC Brussels...

Last edited:
Portugal - France in Euro 2004... I cried so much :s
Portugal - Korea in WC 2002, they didn't deserve the tears but I cried on my knees ;/

The death of Miki, 25/01/2004, R.I.P.

Those were my worst moments...

+

Don't ask me why, Arsenal - Galatasaray, that UEFA Cup final, I was really sad too :(

My worst moment in Football was the one moment when Germany was eliminated from the WC 94 by Yordan Letchkov (or whatever he is written). I hated him for that. Now that sounds silly. :mrgreen:

By the way, I was only 12 years old, so I was nearly crying. :lol:

I was aged 8 in 1990 World Cup!!
Brazil against Argentina (our biggest rivals)
Canniggia made the goal!! I remenber cuz of the replays that i see today!!!
all i remenber from THAT day, is my family in the car quiet coming back home (we were at my uncle house) !!!
my father and my older brother crying for that result!!!!

Another bad one was walking home to Chorlton from Old Trafford and my pissed up mate shit his kecks outside B&Q. I had to walk with him all the way home. The stench was fuckin staggering.

Back
Top Bottom