Yeah my cars broke....=/

matherto

20 times 20 times Man United
13 October 2004
St. Helens, Merseyside.
Manchester United
A while back something went wrong with it, loud noise followed by massive vibrations and the inevitable warning light on the dashboard.

Renault said it was one of the four 'coils' in the engine, and they were supposedly replaced.

Since then, it's been slow as #$%#.

Lately it's been cutting out a lot, and generally got even slower. It needs new oil for one thing, but because it was meant to be going in for a service soon, we've left it.

Anyways, I'm driving down the road...and bang, it starts shuddering and the warning light appears again.

I tend to think the same thing has gone wrong again.

Oh and we started it up a few times, and it sounds terrible, rickety.

Any ideas?

clutch?
I don't even know know the english names for some of the parts that can break down the way you'r describing it, some are pretty expensive. Anyway is it still on warranty? A bad job by Renault first time could have lead to that aswell. Complain...

Unfortunately its not still under warranty, its four years old now.

We should've complained and took it in last time the job was done, 'cause there was a marked difference in performance after it.

And yeah, it could be the clutch, cause I remember just a bit before it happened, I changed from first to second and it just baulked completely, I figured I'd just done a terrible gearchange, but maybe something actually broke.

The whole back end of the car was shaking when we restarted it, not good.

I had a Renault and once it started going wrong there was no saving it. I'd honestly say cut your losses now mate and get rid.

I had a Renault and once it started going wrong there was no saving it. I'd honestly say cut your losses now mate and get rid.

If only I could convince my dad of that.

Turns out it was the coils as last time. There are four of them, and they constantly go wrong, even though they've redesigned them to make them break less. Got the AA out to sort it and he basically said there's no point in replacing the other ones until they go wrong.

Terminal problem = might as well get a new car = need to convince dad.

You need new wheels man, same thing happened my uncle Seamus, but only with the motor in his wheelchair, but it didn't matter, because 2 days after it happened we were on a family outing and my brother left him perched on top of hill without the emergency brake on, seeing him roll down the hill bouncing along the ground and flip off a 300 ft cliff at the end was a real lowpoint in my life. Anyways, I hope your car gets batter man. best of luck.

If only I could convince my dad of that.

Turns out it was the coils as last time. There are four of them, and they constantly go wrong, even though they've redesigned them to make them break less. Got the AA out to sort it and he basically said there's no point in replacing the other ones until they go wrong.

Terminal problem = might as well get a new car = need to convince dad.

Your dad paid for your car?

lucky boy.:((

Oh and I'm not gonna go near Renault's now :D

My GF's dad has a new laguna (leasemobile) and so far nothing has gone wrong. He had the earlier version aswell and it was forever f#$king up with the electronics.

Your dad paid for your car?

lucky boy.:((

Oh and I'm not gonna go near Renault's now :D

Nonono, the current one is my mums, but she doesn't drive a lot at the moment, so I've basically commandeered it.

If I get a new one, I'll have to convince my dad to a) let me get a new one, and b) contribute towards the funding.

Though I guess that still means I'm pretty lucky that I don't have to pay for a whole car myself.

Renaults are generally alright really, just that the problem on the Megane (it was the same thing as last time) is a common, known problem that happens to be a design fault on the engine.

My sisters Clio was alright when she had it, no problems, and I want a new Clio, so they're not all bad.

What Car is usually a good source.
Most and less reliable according to them:

Home > News > Brit-built cars top reliability survey News via email RSS XML
Brit-built cars top reliability survey
23 November 2007

Brit-built cars top reliability survey
• They are Japanese brands, however
• Six Hondas in top 10
• Not all good news for British-built cars

British-built Japanese cars have triumphed in this year’s reliability survey from What Car? and Warranty Direct, helping Honda into the number one spot for a third consecutive year.

Six of the top 10 most dependable models in the survey of used car reliability were built in Britain, four of them Hondas.

Altogether Honda had six vehicles in the model top 10, however, making it the number-one brand once again. Toyota finishes in second and Subaru in third.

The Derbyshire-built Toyota Corolla (’00-’02) is the most reliable car in this year’s survey overall, closely followed by the Swindon-built Honda CR-V (’97-’02).

Third place in the model league table is a tie between the Honda HR-V (’99-’05) and Toyota Celica (’00-’06).

The reliability of the Mini, built near Oxford, puts it fifth in the manufacturer league table, while Nissan is sixth thanks to the efforts of workers at its plant in Sunderland.

It’s not all good news for British manufacturers, however.

The Jaguar XK8 (’96-’06) sits third from bottom in the model table, and the Land Rover Freelander (’00-’06) and Range Rover (’95-’02) wallow seventh from last alongside the Audi Allroad (’00-’05).

The Alfa Romeo GTV (’96-’03) is the least-reliable car in the survey overall, while BMW is the only German brand to squeeze into the manufacturer top 10, in 10th place.

Steve Fowler, What Car? editor, said: ‘The annual reliability study is a thorough and helpful guide that provides important data for buyers of new and used cars. British workers should be proud that their products have done so well.’

The study analysed data from 26 manufacturers and included 133 different models. Data from more than 35,000 vehicles was studied, and the average age of cars in the survey was 4.9 years.

Duncan McClure Fisher, Warranty Direct managing director, said: ‘The data proves that expensive doesn’t necessarily mean reliable. The more mechanically and electronically complicated a vehicle, especially if it’s of European origin, the more likely you are to suffer problems.'

Top 10
Position Model Years made Faults per 100 cars
1 Toyota Corolla ’00-’02 British Built 3
2 Honda CR-V ’97-’02 British Built 5
3= Honda HR-V ’99-’05 6
3= Toyota Celica ’00-’06 6
5 Honda S2000 ’99-now 7
6= BMW 3 Series Compact ’94-’01 9
6= Honda Civic ’96-’01 British Built 9
6= Honda Accord ’99-’03 British Built 9
9 Honda Civic ‘01-’05 British Built 10
10 Nissan Micra ’98-’02 British Built 11

Bottom 10
1 Alfa Romeo GTV ’96-’03 97
2 Renault Espace ’97-’02 77
3 Jaguar XK8 ’96-’06 62
4 Renault Laguna '00-’07 55
5 Fiat Multipla ’99-now 52
6 Volvo S80 ’98-’06 51
7= Land Rover Freelander ’00-’06 48
7= Land Rover Range Rover ’95-’02 48
7= Audi Allroad ’00-’05 48
10 Seat Alhambra ’00-now 47

Manufacturer league table
1 Honda
2 Toyota
3 Subaru
4 Lexus
5 Mini
6 Nissan
7 Ford
8 Citroën
9 Rover
10 BMW
11 Peugeot
12 Mercedes
13= Fiat
13= Vauxhall
15 Volkswagen
16 MG
17 Jaguar
18 Volvo
19 Skoda
20 Audi
21 Saab
22 Chrysler
23 Seat
24 Alfa Romeo
25 Renault
26 Land Rover

Strange to see the Germans doing poorly.

I'm after the new Seat Ibiza. Looks fab, lots of German parts, lots of tech for not a lot of money.

Back
Top Bottom