Yakuza 4

Just finished Yakuza 3 a couple of weeks ago. Great game. Really enjoyed it and im really looking forward to Yakuza 4. But I think I will wait a bit as its the kind of game that will become cheap really quickly. I picked up number 3 for only £13.95 brand new so hopefully I can get a similar bargain with Yakuza 4.

That surely is a bargain. Wish I had the patience to wait as well but this game is one of the few that are day 1 must-buys for me :D

Only one day left. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's been out here for 2-3 days but I'm too lazy to drive now :LOL:

Ha! Yeah I know what you mean but I have a bit of a game backlog at the moment. Im currently playing Mass Effect 2 with Gran Turismo 5 still to fully play, Resistance 2 and then Crysis 2 is probably going to end up being a day 1 as well.

I tried a demo of Yakuza 1 on the PS2 years ago but gave up on it.... no idea why. I guess it just didn't grab me. It was when 3 was coming and I started looking at videos of what it was about that my interest really picked up and I went out and picked up 1 & 2 again and went through them and then picked up 3 and did that.

Really good stuff. Looking forward to the 4th one.

Saw a review of this and the graphics were bloody awesome.

Saw the 3rd one going quite cheap, but not sure actually what type of game it is, if it's like Street Fighter type which I just can't go.

FD

Street Fighter? No way. It's more a GTA type game. Tons of minigames and side-stories too. Love it to bits. Of course it has it's niggles just like any other game, but overall it is a very good game imo. Many many hours of gameplay and worth the money.

Rented Yakuza 3 a few months back and the intro/story went on for what felt like hours. I ended up getting confused with it throwing so much backstory at me in one go that I just turned it off and sent it back.

You should have stuck with it Dags. I felt the same at the beginning. I was like 'Who the fuck is that guy again?" but it really improves and gets better and better.

I found 3 very tiresome at first, doing the whole orphanage thing is such a bore. I came into 3 having JUST finished 1 & 2 back to back so even though I had the story fresh in my mind and knew why it was all going on... it was still boring.

Hopefully 4 just gets right into the action.

On the subject of 'what kind of game is it'. It reminds me of a cross between GTA, and Final fantasy. GTA because you walk around a city (though not as huge as GTA) and FF because of the random battles. Like you walk down the street and then 'HEY YOU' and you get a random battle event.

With the proper dating this time around, and hostess clubs available, plus a few more mini games like ping pong, massaging, etc it should add more to the fun part of it. Beating up other yakuza members isn't as easy though, specially when they're equipped and large in numbers.

This game is good. Much bettter than 3. Hardcore stories none of the orphanage BS. COuld do with more locations maybe but its a quality game.

Last edited:
I've found it hard to get into this. I got it cheap a few months back and have probably only played a few hours worth. I can't even recall where I was up to... I think I was a little past the hostess club tutorial section where you have to help that woman. I'm probably an hour on from there.

I'm not sure why it's not grabbing me. I guess it all felt a little too familiar.

Well I finally got around to playing this again (trying to get through my backlog of games). It started to pick up in chapter 2 and the more the story went on the more interested I got.

By the end though... Whoa! Such an awesome build to the last fight/sections with all the twists and scenes. I think they succeeded in what MGS2 failed with not letting you play as the main character. In metal gear they thought that by forcing you to play as raiden it would make snake seem more epic. But raiden was a horrific character.
I think they nailed it here. When kaz finally turns up you're ready for a fight and know shits going to hit the fan. They don't even have to give him a big epic entrance... He just simply becomes part of the story and yet it still works.
Plus it helps that the other characters are great. Well nearly all of them.. I didn't like fighting as the cop and speaking of him... The fight at the end... What the hell!? That was stupid.

The ending felt a little empty... I don't know what else needed to be said but it just didn't have a big sense of closure to all the happenings. It was like 'well that's done... Next?'.

Now on to dead souls. Has anyone played it?
I watched an ign video review and they hated it, but then I also read they hate the other yakuza games too so I'm not sure about their opinions on DS.
I then watched another review and they LOVED it.

Both mention the poor controls, ign claim they ruin the game, but in the positive reviews they mention how you get used to them eventually.

Not sure what to do. My gamestation is selling is used at £35 which is a joke. So I'll probably get it later in the year. But if it's great I may try online and see if I can get it at a better price.

Last edited:
As much as I love the Yakuza games, but when they added zombies to it I just couldn't get myself to play it. It's just not the point of playing a Yakuza game anymore. Is adding zombies always the easiest way for companies to add something "new" to a game?

If you're into zombies though, then go ahead with it.

If the fighting wasn't so restrictive and repetitive then these would be good games.

regardless the storyy, cahracters and atmosphere are pretty good tbh, the comba in 4 is better than 3 but its not the selling point of the game.

Having been to bangkok not long ago it really does bring back powerful memories and feelings, despite it being tokyo a good deal of familairty. Also sleeping dogs does this well also with hong kong city.

Yakuza is a bit stop start and slow paced but if u give it time and have time for it its a pretty epic game. 4 is far better than 3 imo though. Ive not played 1 or 2.

I loved Yakuza 4, it is definitely better than Y3 and the story is epic. It feels like it was written by someone off Ninja Warrior! Worried that at the moment, Yakuza 5 has not been granted a Western release, despite the Japanese version receiving a perfect score in Famitsu. Saw some tweets to and from a couple of SEGA employees yesterday and there's currently no plans to release it over here. Yakuza 4 was officially announced for the West 9 months before it reached this side of the world. Yakuza 3 came here six months after the localization. Ryu Ga Gotaku 5 is the largest game of the series, in several ways. So I'd imagine it'll take longer to prepare, that is of course if they do it.

I loved Yakuza 4, it is definitely better than Y3 and the story is epic. It feels like it was written by someone off Ninja Warrior! Worried that at the moment, Yakuza 5 has not been granted a Western release, despite the Japanese version receiving a perfect score in Famitsu. Saw some tweets to and from a couple of SEGA employees yesterday and there's currently no plans to release it over here. Yakuza 4 was officially announced for the West 9 months before it reached this side of the world. Yakuza 3 came here six months after the localization. Ryu Ga Gotaku 5 is the largest game of the series, in several ways. So I'd imagine it'll take longer to prepare, that is of course if they do it.

The story for 4 is better and kept me hooked/interested more than any movie ive seen in a long time. Really good how u control 4 characters and see there stories intertwine eventually and conclude in ultimate finally which unites all characters stroylines.

Will it be possible to get 5 imported or ull need jap ps3?

The story for 4 is better and kept me hooked/interested more than any movie ive seen in a long time. Really good how u control 4 characters and see there stories intertwine eventually and conclude in ultimate finally which unites all characters stroylines.

Will it be possible to get 5 imported or ull need jap ps3?
Not a Jap PS3, but Jap brain, or should I say the ability to read Japanese. There's no English text on their version.

Agree on the story, it's very cleverly done and I had to whip my shirt off just like the guys did on the roof when it was time for those battles!

Back
Top Bottom