Xenforo?

Jamezinho

Golden Boot Winner
10 June 2003
Ipswich, England
Ipswich Town F.C.
I remember some time ago there was talk of possibly migrating Evo-Web to Xenforo. Is this still on the cards?

A couple of my favourite forums are powered by Xenforo and I really enjoy the look and features of those sites. Things like being able to rate posts (like, agree, thanks, etc...), alerts, and tagging other members in posts.

I don't know if vBulletin offers these features and to be honest, Evo-Web is just fine as it is, but I've been here eleven years and the place has hardly changed! Nice in a way but a refresh would be cool.

I've still been keeping track of XenForo and like it a lot. I did try it out once a few years back and got negative reviews on here and haven't revisited it since. A refresh is long overdue so maybe I should revisit it and at least trial it again.

VBulletin has also advanced so I'm sure some of that functionality is available in that too but I prefer XenForo's approach and clean way of being written that would make maintenance easier too.

I'll look into it anyway. Always happy to hear suggestions. Also I'm pretty sure you're the one that always pops up whenever we've mentioned refreshes in the past as a voice of positivity, good work. :)

Here's a quick beta - nothing done to amend the look and feel aside from a change of typeface so if possible please focus on the functionality.

https://www.evo-web.co.uk/foro

There's a forum in there for feedback. Your user credentials should match those you use on here - all users were imported last night.

Don't fear change. ;)

No option for a dark skin? Far too much empty space and the white is too blinding.

Looks nice, the chatbox is really handy and the whole structure looks better!

Only input I'd say is this needs a dark theme though I know Mart already cleared this part. ;)

When will this move take place?!

Last edited:
I like it but then I'm already sold on Xenforo. The forums look cleaner and work brilliantly on a phone without the need for Tapatalk. I like all the features of Xenforo.

imagejpg1.jpg

That is what everyone else is seeing, right?

Last edited:
To begin with I wasn't too keen on the main index screen thinking I prefer the solid look of evo-web with the 'box like' index. But once I went into a thread, I actually liked it. I quite like the font and the peachy colours. So yes I think it looks ok.

As long as you keep the ...:SNACK: :shiver::BOUNCE: smileys :APPLAUD:

I think with a few color scheme/font changes it would look great.

As a web developer myself(mainly used Buddypress/phpbb3/ipb) I think this is the right move forward with the responsive design and the better web optimizations Xenforo brings.

But I reckon it will take time for people to get used to the look and definitely some(including me) may miss the current evo-web look when it gets phased out.

Perhaps retaining the current Evo-Web colour scheme would be a good idea for continuity and familiarity.

On the other hand I've been a long-time member of AVForums which regularly undergoes changes to the look and usability of the site, including going from vBulletin to Xenforo. Plenty of people moan when changes are made (myself included) but after a week or two nobody cares. It's the members and quality of discussion that keeps people coming back, not the way the site looks. Evo-Web has no worries in this regard.

True. As much as I'll really miss this, it's time for a change to freshen things up.

Time for our virtual home to get a renovation :)

I like it a lot, a very pleasant surprise. I didn't know we were going for Xenforo. It's for the best, I think... the visual aspects are better and so is the functionality.

I do have one complain though: as already mentioned the color scheme is a bit too bright, so, keep the current one would be great indeed (it also keeps things a little bit more familiar). Ohh, look I'm a bit nostalgic already :P

Looking forward to the final move. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom