1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

Xabi Alonso, best passer in the world?

Discussion in 'Football' started by AgentSmithMatrix, 19 April 2005.

1. AgentSmithMatrix

AgentSmithMatrix League 1

14 July 2004
    Liverpool
    He most certainly is.

I've no doubt if he hadn't gotten injured, the fourth place would already have been cemented because he is that influential. His performance against Spurs on Saturday was truly astonishing considering that he's just come back from injury. Anyways, I've made a compilation and I'm sure after you've seen it you're gonna find it hard to disagree when I say that he is the best passer in the world.

I've posted this on Mininova, KopTalk, MaXxed Football Forums, PESFan and PESInsight. Anyways, you're going to need to have a bittorrent client installed if you wanna see it.

Here's the link: http://www.mininova.org/get/31263/Alonso.wmv.torrent

2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Banned

12 February 2005
    London
    I haven't really seen him play that much to agree with you but he is a really good player if Liverpool sell Gerrad they will have a good player to replace him.

3. distefano

distefano Conference

16 May 2002
    arcade holland
    I think Xavi has the best pass in the world at this moment.

4. juventus11

juventus11 Guest

I dont agree with you.. There are many players that can pass way better that Xabi Alonso, but hes world class stuff.

5. Vannizzlefashizzal

Vannizzlefashizzal TWENTYTIMES!!!!

31 October 2002
    best in the world is hard to say, but I rate him very highly...

anyone got the opta stats for the best passers this season??

6. danwin

danwin Oak Hard

1 December 2003
    He's the best passer i've ever seen.

7. elgen

elgen Filekeeper dude

24 October 2004
    Bewtsland...
    Liverpool FC
    Well, for that person who doesn't know any other players that are as good as X. Alonso to give such brilliant, precise and nice long/short passes AND to play with such relaxed and overview, X. Alonso is the best passer in the world. But when it comes to top division players around the world, I haven't seen that good passing ability's like X. Alonso's. So yeah, until I see someone better, Alonso will be the one I claim as the best passer in the world today. Besides, there are like 1, 2, 3... million players I don't know... Heh.

8. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Hes good, but he aint the best. What about players like Pirlo, Rui Costa, Henry, Lampard etc.....

9. Mack

Mack Champions League

8 August 2003
    Manchester
    MCFC
    Not for me either, this guy is good but best passer in the world?

10. CW

CW C Dub Founding Member

6 October 2001
    Liverpool
    This is one of those threads designed to create as much argument as possible, its up there with
    "Is Phil Babb Liverpools greatest defender?"
    "Jan Molby, slimmest player in the world ever!"
    and "Wayne Rooney, is he the ugliest player in football?"

Alonso is good but he still has plenty to learn, hopefully he will do that with us

11. Vannizzlefashizzal

Vannizzlefashizzal TWENTYTIMES!!!!

31 October 2002
    he's not some kid he's been playing in one of the best leagues for a very good team in real sociedad, he's taken a bit of a drop playing for the mickeys but his class is there to be seen...

12. fishcake

fishcake Premiership

1 January 2003
    L4
    xabi's class and we've really missed him since fat frank broke his ankle, but here's something that might suprise you about his pass completion, i know stats don't tell the full story but i was very suprised when i saw this

From liverpoolfc.tv

Xabi Alonso's spectacular return to action might have prompted some pundits to suggest he's the best passer of a ball to pull on the Red shirt since John Barnes in 1987 but is he even the most accurate passer in the current Liverpool team?
    According to official Barclays Premiership statistics, Alonso is not even amongst the top 10 most accurate passers in Rafael Benitez's side. The honour of best passer of a ball in the current team actually goes to Anfield cult hero Igor Biscan who registers a successful pass completion rate of 67%.

Academy graduates Neil Mellor and Stephen Warnock follow close behind with 65% and 63% success rates with Fernando Morientes and Vladimir Smicer tied in fourth place with 61%.

Florent Sinama-Pongolle, currently out with a broken leg, comes fifth with 60% while strikers Milan Baros and Djibril Cisse can both boast very respectable successful pass completion rates of 59%.

Behind the two strikers, Djimi Traore and Dietmar Hamann are both tied on 55%.

For the record, Xabi Alonso can boast a 54% pass completion rate while Jamie Carragher has made the most passes in the Premiership for Liverpool this season. Of the 183 passes Carragher attempted, 96 proved successful.

13. Milanista

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    So the point of this thread has gone down the drain..... thanks to Fishcake for ruining it!!!!!;)

14. Stan

Stan Allez les Lionceaux !!!

12 September 2002
    I definitely agree that Rooney is the ugliest player in the world CW...but that clearly is a provocation of you to create some aggro (smiley)

Seriously, Xabi Alonso is great but i still think Valeron is the best.
    Oh and Milanista, having a bad day only two Milan players and mentioning Lampard???

15. Milanista

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Natural instints....Milan always come first in my mind .

16. Metallica

Metallica Whoosh... Bullshit!

20 August 2003
    Pissed up in Sam Platt's
    Luke Chadwick!

17. Dominic

Dominic Serie A Staff

19 August 2003
    Netherlands
    David Pizarro.

18. S[H]adow11

S[H]adow11 Guest

ronaldinho very good passer

19. fd1972uk

fd1972uk ---------------------

9 January 2002
    Glasgow
    Celtic
    Ivan De La Pena is one of the best I've saw in recent times. His through balls are amazing.

FD

20. Clockender

Clockender is back...but for how long?

27 November 2001
    East Lower, Block 13
    Arsenal FC
    No ones mentioned Beckham, he can pick a pass better than Alonso imo.

21. unbornchikkenvoices

unbornchikkenvoices League 2

21 April 2002
    alonso is good but not great yet

I would say Pirlo is the best and ronaldinho is the cleverest.

go back a couple of years it would have been zidane by a country mile

22. tato

tato Guest

Passing rate does not show the real passing ability of a player... it's not the same giving a back pass to a defender than giving a goal assist... so you cannot rate a player using those stats.

23. MO_DINERO

MO_DINERO 瞬獄殺!

29 July 2004
    Liverpool Football Club
    Well said, as much as I love Xabi Alonso's vision and accuracy I don't think he is the best passer in the world...yet [​IMG]

24. phrase

phrase Tactician

12 December 2002
    Little Mancunia
    Can somebody check with OPTA stats(for Premiership stats only)on this? I'd love to know...I love Xabi,this man could be playing for Real but chooses Liverpool instead,its all passion in him.

25. Revan

Revan out the window

8 August 2003
    Madeira, Portugal.
    FC Porto
    well he is good, but the best. nah.

tato said it right, even i could be the best passer in the world if it just meant passing back to defenders, and I have square feet :mrgreen:.
    for me, Deco, Zidane, Beckham, Pirlo, and a few others.
    Cruyf said that Deco knew better than anyone how to pass a ball, he even descibed it as near perfect, cause he puts the ball in others players feets in a way that is super easy for them to dominate the lovely sphere!

Well now that I remember 2 weeks ago the pass of Deco to Etoo from the midfield i'm starting to believe!

26. Glavisted

Glavisted Guest

I don't think so, the spanish is a very good passer but are many player in a better level as Frank Lampard, Andrea Pirlo, Iván De La Peña, Ronaldinho... as passers.

27. julien

julien is just your type

20 June 2004
    490 Madison
    rosicky

28. crayon

crayon Yamato Gaijin

23 October 2004
    Hokkaido Japan
    Liverpool FC
    phrase, you're right. Passionate for footy - not going to Real was a good move for him and I think he's definitely a Liverpool type player. As for Fishcake's stats - we are not worthy! Personally, talking about Liverpool, he passes as well as Molby used to. Please don't keep mentioning fat Frank - he ruined Alonso's season.:(

29. Sabac Red

Sabac Red Premiership

22 November 2002
    Alonso IS a great passer of the ball, he's up there with the best...one ability that he does have he can use either foot aswell.

That pass that he hit to set up Riise goal against Blackburn(in the 2-2 draw) was the best i've seen all season...

30. crayon

crayon Yamato Gaijin

23 October 2004
    Hokkaido Japan
    Liverpool FC
    He's certainly better than a lot of the dross we've seen in recent years.