World Cup 2010 - The Argentina Thread - Una pasion unica

Plz, tell me you are not joking!..!:CONFUSE:

Well I certainly won't expect to see the carded players appearing ie Masche, Heinze to avoid missing the round of sixteen.

And while it is not certain the best policy would be to keep Messi maybe Tevez and Higuain on the bench to avoid injuries:

----------------------Romero-----------------------
-Otamendi-------Dimichelis---Burdisso------Clemente
----------------------Bolatti----------------------
--------Maxi---------------------------di Maria----
---------------------Pastore-----------------------
---------------D.Milito------Aguero----------------

That's still very potent upfront esp.if Greece decide to attack to secure their progression dependent of course on what is going on between South Korea and Nigeria.

Well I certainly won't expect to see the carded players appearing ie Masche, Heinze to avoid missing the round of sixteen.

But when they get booked in the round of sixteen, they'll miss the next round, if Argentina reaches this(they will doubtless). Thanks to the new FIFA rule the yellow cards will be deleted in the round of eight, so one round later then normal. :II

But when they get booked in the round of sixteen, they'll miss the next round, if Argentina reaches this(they will doubtless). Thanks to the new FIFA rule the yellow cards will be deleted in the round of eight, so one round later then normal. :II

S-NipE it's a hard one caught between a rock and a hard place.

But progression is vital. They were silly cards but deserved. Heinze for trying another superman impression like Vidic. :P and Masche a needless foul at 4-1 up. Just let the player go. :P

This may expose one deficiency of the selection ie lack of cover for Masche ie Banega/ Gago/ Cambiasso v-v Bolatti. Maybe Bolatti can step up to his Huracan form. Fingers crossed.

Expected line up for Greece:
----------------------Romero---------------------
Otamendi-----Dimichelis----Burdisso-----Clemente-
----------------------Bolatti-------------------
-------------Maxi---------------Veron------------
-----------------------Messi---------------------
------------D.Milito-----------Aguero------------

Still no Pastore............ :( And no need to risk Leo.

Will you give us a draw and all be happy? LOL!

We will play 5-4-1 with 3 CBs...All for the draw...

@AbouTreika18 it is indeed better. I am sure when maybe even the round of 16 comes up Otamendi/Burdisso will be at RB if Samuel is fit.

Personally this is the defence that should have been selected:
Angeleri--------Samuel-------Burdisso-----------Ansaldi
but Angeleri apparently is not yet to full match fitness. Oh well. Ansaldi's still only 23 so around for 2014.

@ polakis you still need to win really because I fully expect South Korea to beat Nigeria and they already have the advantage in the head to head and goals scored (equal GD).

If South Korea go ahead say or we do then it may ve difficult to make the transition to an attacking formation. However Rehagel is extremely conservative maybe too much so.

Which means that trio upfront are deadly on the counter as we saw with Milito at Inter.

Messi wanted to play. He wants to score at least one goal this tournament apparently.

I don't think Diego will let the players up for a moment either. It#s all or nothing plus Otamendi and Clemente want to impress.

Veron needs to be discarded. This game would have been ideal for Pastore.

Last edited:
Does Ansaldi play for Rubin? Very impressed with him last season in the Champions League.

Surprised Milito wasn't picked though. I know he was injured for a large chunk of last season but he looked very solid when he came back. Don't much about Angeleri but I think he signed for Sunderland, so looking forward to seeing him in the Premiership next season.

Albiceleste, are you sure Messi's playing? You must know more than me on the matter.

It'd be a shame since you guys have lots of solutions up front and you also need a relaxed Messi.
That boy's the Golden Ball for 2010 too - i bet anything.

Albiceleste, are you sure Messi's playing? You must know more than me on the matter.

It'd be a shame since you guys have lots of solutions up front and you also need a relaxed Messi.
That boy's the Golden Ball for 2010 too - i bet anything.

Yes he is playing m7m_teddy. He will also captain the side. I expect him to be subbed though either at halftime or shortly after though with Pastore taking the reins hopefully.

@AbouTreika18 Ansaldi is at Kazan but for how much longer who knows.

He is two footed, pacy a good tackler and disributor (reminds me of a young Placente but better).

Angeleri can play anywhere across the back is a natural centre back and has bags of stamina and is a fierce competitor esp.aerially.

Shame he suffered a CL injury last summer otherwise he might already be at Internazionale.As it is he is ust reaching full fitness and sharpness.

Nice performance from Maradonas pupils. Who the hell said that Messi isn't the same in Argentina? That person should be arrested for stating such a lie. Messi was a monster (at least in the half-second half time i saw) and a constant threat.
Really am considering you lot for the title. Btw, Pastore is pure class. He will be one of your main players in a couple of years for sure.

Palermo!
The moment he scores made my day! I very happy for him, one of my Boca idols. And yes, I'm also pleasured that Argentina won. :D

Thank you amigos. :TU:

Neoexodus he is class. Think Kaka x Riquelme. As soon as he came on things happened. We do need to tighten up at the back and dispense with Veron.

And nice to see the old man score TSO. :) That'll be his WC over though I think. Nice memory for him to tell the kids.

My summary:
First of all this is the first time the team linked up as this outfit so it’s bound to be a bit rusty and not polished.

Plus points were the performances of Clemente as an attacking winger and Otamendi was remarkably composed and very good in an attacking sense ie selling the Greek fullback a couple of dummies.

However the midfield was too static again. Messi with his back to goal no runs off him to create space and no real width.

At least this was rectified in the second half ie Clemente told to push on and then di Maria.

Veron played some lovely passes even scored a familiar trademark volley from the edge of the box but at times he slows the point of the attack.

With Messi man marked Aguero needed to drop deeper to run at the Greek defence and cycle with Milito. None of that unfortunately.

The difference when Pastore came on was blinding. He drops all over the pitch speeds the tempo and was involved in all of the exciting moves in the last 15 minutes. He freed Messi to an extent by running off him and can commit players.

Other teams will sit on him Veron and press high up the pitch. In that case we need to go long from back to front and hit them with pace of Higuain ie v Germany or Tevez or wth real width ie di Maria.

Bolatti had a needless booking but the referee was inconsistent. Should have booked Papast but did not but Mario is. Could be critical.

Romero did what he had to do but should not sit on his backside like that for Samaras’s effort. Also the spacing between Burdisso and Dimi. Often too wide. As against South Korea a long ball down the middle creates havoc. They need to sort that out.

Wonderful for Palermo to score and have that memory but that will be his WC and Diego Milito ?

Not enough service. Tracked back well and did just miss that delicious cross from Clemente who was excellent albeit he had nothing to defensively. Bolatti mopped up effectively as well.

And set pieces were excellent and inventive from the corner and free kicks and delivery very good once again.

I would not read too much into the result. We only needed a draw and the onus was on Greece to make the running. They seemed content for a draw even if to go out.

And as I did think might happen they found it impossible to change mindset and tempo and were hit by two unlucky injuries that restricted Rehagels hand.

If we revert to 4-4-2 we need to move the ball more quickly like we have done with the 4-3-3.Pastore could be crucial for this and Tevez. They may man mark Messi but they can’t do all three without screwing up their whole set up.

Will Samuel be back ? Heinze and Masche and Pipita and Tevez certainly will be.

que es ganar con la polla?

Btw, vamos vamos Argentina, vamos vamos a ganaaarr...que esta banda quilombera no te deja no te deja de alentaaaar!!!

Martin Palermo you are mi idol men!

TE AMOO Martinnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want Argentina to win this cup because of Maradona,i was 10 years old when they won the World Cup 86 and If i am crazy for football at the moment,he is the one or maybe the main reason for this...And i think its the same for most guys who born in 70's..

vamos argentina todavia!!!!! palermo idolo, soy de river pero palermo traspasa sentimientos!! muy bien los cambios que hizo maradona

que es ganar con la polla?

Btw, vamos vamos Argentina, vamos vamos a ganaaarr...que esta banda quilombera no te deja no te deja de alentaaaar!!!

Martin Palermo you are mi idol men!

TE AMOO Martinnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ganar con la polla es ganar facilmente...

nosotros usamos mucho el "esto lo ganamos con la polla"
vamos que sin esfuerzo...

Albiceleste2010 you make all my points. Veron unfortunately seems to hold things up and he is sloppy. I saw it in the first match as well as tonight. He had a good shot at goal and was decent but those stray passes are worrying me.
Pastore is a really promising player but in the big matches coming up I feel we need more strength in the midfield to break up the opposition.
Messi, Messi, Messi you don't need to prove anything my brother. Although he was a little shackled and tried too much in the 1st half he seemed to calm down and touch and go rather than take on defenders everytime. He is so desperate to get a goal and all his trying is creating openings for the others. A true legend world cup trophy or not.

Man marking taken to the extreme. Gentile would have been proud after kicking the Argentines and Brazilians around in 1982.

10-2.jpg

:CONFUSE:

YouTube - Messi e Maradona.

:)

YouTube - DIEGO MARADONA SHOW | ARGENTINA NATIONAL TEAM | WC 2010
:LOL:

Last edited:
Maradonna is so funny! Great to have him on sidelines in this world cup. His reactions are over the top and very clown-like. Always begging for attention it seems. While he may not be the best choice for Argentina's future, he's definitely entertaining even off-pitch :P for the rest of us to have at World Cup . :D :LOL:

Great to see Pastore finally play even if Veron himself had a much better game this time against Greece.

Man marking taken to the extreme.

:APPLAUD: :LOL:

:P Javier impressed in his 15 minutes lo zio. No coincidence the goals came when he turned up. The world is his oyster.

can't say i'm surprised. that kid is just freakishly talented. palermo turned down a 25 millions offer for him from real madrid last week. zamparini (palermo's owner) said "give this kid just 1 more year here in palermo, and we'll sell him for twice the price real madrid offered".

what's really crazy is that i actually think he might be right. javier just oozes class.

it's ridiculous when u come to think about it. argentina has so much quality players that their "b formation" could still be considered a contender for the cup.... even taking into account the absence of monsters like zanetti and cambiasso... it's just crazy.

as soon as italy will be out of the competition, i'll be cheering for l'albiceleste. :))
not that i'm a glory hunter or anything... but argentina is pretty much like a second homecountry for every italian. :BEER:

Is this true lo zio ? Would you think that Mourinho would want him ? Because there were persistent rumours Internazionale were interested in making an approach and before he left Huracan as well.

Personally I think he should stay with Palermo and develop there as he will get minutes. And their are the other excellent youngsters like Kjaer and Cavani to name two.

Obviously a lot of Argentines have Italian blood in them so to speak ie Cuchu hails from Genoa and Messi I think nearby but I don't think this is reciprocated in terms of affection.

There is still a degree of affliction over the loss of certain players ie Sivori, Angelillo and many have not forgotten the anthem being booed in 1990.

Just giving the facts amigo as many Argentine colleagues I have conversed with. ;) Hopefully the Azzurri pull themselves together and if they do they can still go far as a tournament team.

However losing Pirlo and not having Cassano or Totti is a weakness.

Re the talent factory it is unprecedented. I think it's safe to say Argentina and Brazil could comfortably field competitive second XIII's. :P And the defence of the second might be better too....... ;)

Back
Top Bottom