World Cup 2010 - Spain Thread - Vamos Espña !!!

I think too many people underestimate the 'middle' teams like USA, Switzerland etc....

I don't agree with this mentality. For me its a sign that 'big' teams will no longer simply dominate like in the past. This is one of the biggest sporting tournaments around... same as the CL. You do what's best to cancel out the other team and to win. I saw a compact Switzerland. Spain had a lot of possession but didn't cross the ball into the box every time they had the chance to, instead they would turn around and circulate.

I prefer attacking football. However there is no wrong or right way in football. It's just my personal preference.

Seeing Baresi marshall a defence was a joy to watch. However I think negative football ie defensive football is gaining the upper hand again.

And still it is the older ' renowned' teams so to speak who still get to the finals.

Euro 2008 Germany and Spain. Last few WC's no surprises in the finalists.

In the end not a great result for football unless you're a Swiss fan.

Can't agree with you amigo. In my opinion is a good result for football and sport in general. It shows any team can beat other, no matter how good they are in terms of players. This match showed the collective, the tactics and the smartness can overcome any adversity. In a tactical way it was a very rich match, for those who like tactics was a joy to watch.

Spain played well. So did Swiss.

And yah I don't think this is bad for football. It's good in some ways, bad in others.

Just enjoy it. I'm about to lose money if Spain doesn't win the group but I can't say I didn't enjoy that. Especially since Swiss is my dark horse team and I always thought they're capable of a LOT more than most think.

Why's that not a great result for football? I don't see myself sulking...

So more teams just sitting back and sitting back and yet more sitting back makes for exciting football.

It doesn't get me excited. Perhaps there is a reason why the TV audiences for World Cup's has actually declined over the last twelve years.

All it has done is encourage more negative football over the last few years.

Yes Switzerland are a very limited team and that's how Hitzfeld decided this is their best chance to suceed but I'd rather follow the Bielsa coaching philosophy even it failed in 2002 more due to player exhaustion .

Two poles apart.

It's fine that you might consider it boring, but then who's to judge whether its 'negative' or 'entertaining'. A lot of people said that Inter was boring and negative in the CL final or against Barcelona... I thought it was tactical masterclass and very entertaining (oh dear God i can't believe I just said this). I also thought the 2nd half of Italy-Paraguay was a tough tactical fight with 2 teams that played with 4-4-2, turning it into a game where you had to think strategically, and thus entertaining.

I don't agree when people labelling anything defensive as 'negative' football. Can't we say that the so called 'entertaining' teams are just wasteful, which is also a negative thing then? It's all subjective, thats why it pisses me off when ITV or BBC claim that a team's style is 'negative' as if it's a fact....

Last edited:
I think too many people underestimate the 'middle' teams like USA, Switzerland etc....

I don't agree with this mentality. For me its a sign that 'big' teams will no longer simply dominate like in the past. This is one of the biggest sporting tournaments around... same as the CL. You do what's best to cancel out the other team and to win. I saw a compact Switzerland. Spain had a lot of possession but didn't cross the ball into the box every time they had the chance to, instead they would turn around and circulate.

:LOL: spot on ...tbh can`t cross into midgets though that turning around is way too predictable I thought it was a fab think but the whole of spain`s squad does it, I think defending is key

They were even doing it for corners when Pique and Torres were in the box! They'd pass to Silva who would then turn around and pass it around.

Bad luck for Spain. We deserved to win the match, but luck was on their side. They parked the bus and did a very good deffensive display in front and were lucky in both areas.

Busquets was crap in the Swiss goal, as usual, loosing the track of the man he was supposed to mark. He does that always.

I think Spain lost by not scoring some of the chances we had, quite clear all of them.

And I agree to the infinite and beyond about crossing. When a team has all the tall players up, you MUST cross. The problem is there's not a single good corner kicker. It happens the same here with Barcelona, we can cross a decent corner to save our life so at the end they NEVER end up crossing. That's just stupid. I remember the match against Inter in CL, we had 10 corners in the second half and crossed none of them. The last one in the last minute, again was a short pass backwards. I truly hate that.

But other than that, Spain played fairly well (much much better than other big national teams in the tournament), so we expect we are luckier against Honduras and Chile and can go through.

This Swiss win is not bad for football.
IMO the goal should not have been allowed for off-side...(not when he scored, but before that).
This turns out to be a tough group...

Torres is not fit...Iniesta looked fit but was lacking game composition, Silva was very Poor and didnt make any impact like he usualy do with Villa.

the game remind me of the USA vs Spain at the confederation cup...thats the only way Spain can loose a game...when they fail to score first while they missed ton of opportunity's when the game was tied.

What!? That's his girl?!?

Oui.
Sara Carbonero, 25 years old.

madridy.jpg

Yellow press said Ronaldo was after this girl but Casillas caught this goal first. :LOL:

I heard some of the Spanish press are blaming Iker's performance on his reporter girlfriend. What? How? Why?! lol I'm confused. Plus it's not like Iker did much wrong though he hasn't been in his usual Godly form.

I heard some of the Spanish press are blaming Iker's performance on his reporter girlfriend. What? How? Why?! lol I'm confused. Plus it's not like Iker did much wrong though he hasn't been in his usual Godly form.

She was on the touchline. Fully clothed as well.

But they think he was distracted by her just being there. ;)

Have you seen this ? Not for kids & NSFW. :TTTH:

YouTube - Fabio Capello and Jose Mourinho Get a Lap Dance

Capello is unperturbed.

:LMAO: :D

WTF is this?! hahaha... were they forced to sit there? What show is that for? lool man so random and funny! Love it! :D

Its from Chiambretti show. The Mourinho episode was actually very interesting. They got traditional dancers from his hometown or something to dance for him, and he said he was impressed.

Mmmm... we played very well and it should have ended 7 or 8 to 0, but we can't score to save our lives! Torres is a complete waste of time right now. He may be unfit or something, because he wasted 5 clear chances.

Villa missed 3 chances too, but at least he scored a great opener. Can't wait to see him play with Messi and Xavi here at Barcelona.

Referee was bad as usual in this world cup, ignoring 2 clear penalties, but he was right conceding the third one, that Villa sent out.

If we don't start taking profit of all the chances we will go out of the world cup quickly. In a tournament like this one you can't forgive any chance. We wasted 10 or 12 today. Really.

Good things: Busquets (someone I hate) played incredibly well for being himself, Villa was good and Pique and Xabi Alonso inmense. On the other hand, Navas should learn how to cross properly.

Back
Top Bottom