World Cup 2010 - Brazil Thread - Hexa so em 2014

Re: World Cup 2010 - Brazil Thread - Penta, So o Brasil!

Who will take the Penalty Kicks if Brazil get any.

If its Fabiano I might just bet on him finishing top scorer of WC. But its gonna be Kaka probably, no

it's gonna be Kaká of course. I bet in some Spanish forward as top scorer, probably Torres.

Who will take the Penalty Kicks if Brazil get any.

If its Fabiano I might just bet on him finishing top scorer of WC. But its gonna be Kaka probably, no
Penalty kicks or not, he's still a very good bet.

Yeah he is. But if someone like David Villa takes the PK's too then I can see why his odd are the lowest. 1 to 9 on many sites.

Sure except for Ronaldo to be a good bet, Portugal would probably have to go far which I personally am not that optimistic about. Where as with Villa and Spain or Brazil and Fabiano, you feel like they have a good chance of being in the finals and winning it even.

Brazil's eleven:

Julio César
Maicon, Lúcio, Juan, Michel Bastos
Elano, Felipe Melo, Gilberto Silva, Kaká
Luis Fabiano Robinho

Michel Bastos gets the nod over Gilberto...

should pan out to be a good game...i'm hoping for a goal fest!! Cause so far, the WC games have been quite boring and low in the goals category

Michel Bastos gets the nod over Gilberto...

should pan out to be a good game...i'm hoping for a goal fest!! Cause so far, the WC games have been quite boring and low in the goals category

Was hoping that, too. But I was really disappointed about the Brazilians during the first half. The second half was slightly better, but they only played well between the two goals. And even if North Korea played very good, Brazil could have played much better. Especially the strikers made no good figure today.

There were not much movement up front and the passes didn't click at all!! Quite disappointed with how they played. Of course, credit has to be given to Korea's defense as they played very uniformly and was very well...but Brasil should've been able to break that down better.

Maybe the cold weather also had some effects? heard that it felt like -2 degrees with the wind.

horrible game by brazil, play almost as bad as france or italy.

Dunga keeps basicly the same team since 2007, with a lot of CM and Kaká as OMF, so when Kaká isn't fit the team has no attitude. I don't recognize our team.

The second half was better but we have a lot of work to do.

I don't think Brazil did bad. Good performance.

I think Brasil did well too I mean 11 behind the ball defending, played in 1 half during 80% of the match. Breaking them down was hard I think .Robinho was up for it, but he was too much in the middle. On another day they could of hammer their opponent .

I liked it too, but Luis Fabiano was beyond terrible.
Really like Korea DPR, they should be very proud, hope they can give trouble to Cote and our Luso brothers.
I had Tae Se in my fantasy, but didn't really understood substitutions until now, next round I won't mess up like I did, also missed Van der Wiel 9 points! :RANT:

why the emotion from macion after scoring though it seems him and elano knew something.

In my oppinion, Maicon was the best player on the pitch, because his goal decided a match that had turned very dangerous for Brazil.

Now a rant against ultra-deffensive tactics that are getting global in football world after watching most of the matches up to now:

About Korea, they played a great deffensive match, but to me that's not enough. I don't like teams that refuse to attack for 90 minutes and park the bus. It's a matter of style. Note that I respect all styles, I know most of the people play to win no matter how, but personally I don't like it.

It worries me because currently all teams try to park the bus and play ultra-conservative. You watch matches of past world cups and lesser teams were trying to win the matches, even if they knew they were the inferior team. Except Germany against Australia, all matches have been boring at least because of this. I respect Australia much more than Korea. They tried to play and win. Germany was better, but they tried.

Now look at that UEFA final between Liverpool and Alaves. Alaves could have parked the bus and hope to win. They decided to play and the match ended 5-4 and was one of the best matches I've ever seen. To me, that's how football is meant to be played. I remember and respect much more Alaves for losing that way than if they had won 1-0 scrapping a shitty win at a corner at the last minute.

In my oppinion, Maicon was the best player on the pitch, because his goal decided a match that had turned very dangerous for Brazil.

Now a rant against ultra-deffensive tactics that are getting global in football world after watching most of the matches up to now:
Robinho was good too, creating good oportunities and an exelent assistance for the 2nd goal.

He's one of the most important players in this squad. He has a good relationship with everybody in our team and he makes the trainings a bit more relaxed and fun. If they have an exelent teamwork, Robinho is the guilty

About Korea, they played a great deffensive match, but to me that's not enough. I don't like teams that refuse to attack for 90 minutes and park the bus.

But N. Korea didn't do that. I thought they were very positive and played some very good passing with positive confidence vs a big team like Brasil. Their No. 9 Tse was very good I thought with holding the ball and passing it to the right man. Good view he has.

Yeah not Robinho's biggest fan and I do think in general he's one of the most over-rated players I've ever seen! Hyped to death but very rarely actually effective. Often does too much and inconsistent.

He had a good game yesterday though and that assist to Elano was beautiful. He deserves praise and I was impressed by him for like only the 3rd time lol.

I respect Australia much more than Korea. They tried to play and win. Germany was better, but they tried.

Yeah I see your point but for me it doesn't work like that. It's quite the opposite. I respect North Korea much more than Australia now. One was a LOT more organized, disciplined, came out with a better plan and executed what their coach wanted. The other one crumbled early on conceding first goal after 7 mins and it was downhill since.

I do wanna see attacking play. But there are a lot more factors that count JUST as much if not more such as the tactics/strategy of the coach and the team's execution. For me, The N. Korea coach has done a better job than Pim Verbeek so far and so did his players. So I respect them more. It's as simple as that. Sometimes attacking aggressively, leaving holes in your defense may be entertaining to the neutral like you and me but it can also be plain STUPID and dangerous and fail big time. How can I respect that? It's not very smart. Where as I would say North Korea played VERY smart. Considering the GULF in class between the two teams, they probably did as good as you possibly can to narrow that by playing smart. Australlia didn't. So they paid for it. (Though of course the red card to Cahill changed things and was harsh imo)

Last edited:

I respect Australia much more than Korea. They tried to play and win. Germany was better, but they tried.

Only seen this. You respect a team that played literally shit? I'd understand where you're coming from if they were organized and played a good match and lose. But playing shit, with a shit captain who did nothing but let all goals go in because of his laziness and lack of concentration? What has their midfield done? Play negative football and pass the ball to the ball 90% of the time? I thought they were going to be more organized but they were bad.

N.Korea were passing the ball between Brasil players with such confidence and positivity. I loved their mentality considering they are literally one of the weakest in the tournament. And guess what, they actually scored, and had a few good attempts as well.

Actually, Australia had more or less as many chances as Switzerland today (2), and Spain has had more or less as many chances as Germany had (6).

Luck and made Switzerland win 1-0 and Australia loose 4-0.

I can agree with some points with you, PLF, but sometimes people judge too much based in the result of the match without taking into account the "luck" factor. Switzerland and Australia did similar matches (it was Spain fault today to miss 4 or 5 clear chances and have a post), and the referee clearly failed by not sending off the Swiss player that tackled Iniesta being the last defender in the first half.

So, in my oppinion, Australia did as well as Switzerland, only they didn't have the luck that Switzerland and Corea (up to a point) had. And for the record, I liked Corea more than Switzerland or Australia! That "9" is a fantastic player.

But that's how I see things, and I respect a lot the teamwork, tactical efforts and solid deffense, but if there's a team in front that WANTS to build play and play offesnse, I'm always with that team, no matter the quality "bridge" between them. I know it's down to personal liking, though!

Actually, Australia had more or less as many chances as Switzerland today (2), and Spain has had more or less as many chances as Germany had (6).

I can agree with some points with you, PLF, but sometimes people judge too much based in the result of the match without taking into account the "luck" factor. Switzerland and Australia did similar matches (it was Spain fault today to miss 4 or 5 clear chances and have a post), and the referee clearly failed by not sending off the Swiss player that tackled Iniesta being the last defender in the first half.

So, in my oppinion, Australia did as well as Switzerland, only they didn't have the luck that Switzerland and Corea (up to a point) had. And for the record, I liked Corea more than Switzerland or Australia! That "9" is a fantastic player.

But that's how I see things, and I respect a lot the teamwork, tactical efforts and solid deffense, but if there's a team in front that WANTS to build play and play offesnse, I'm always with that team, no matter the quality "bridge" between them. I know it's down to personal liking, though!
If was the inverse (Spain vs Australia), with Australia playing like they did against Germany, the result would be 4-0 or more. In other words, Australia was too bad in terms of defense and organization and was not what the swiss did.

Well you're entitled to your opinion, my friend but yeah I can't agree.

For me, Swiss was a lot more organized and disciplined and defended and moved around as a unit. Australlia didn't and they got punished for it. The level of performance was definitely higher from Otmar Hitzfeld's men. The result is not just 'luck' or coincidence.

Also for Australia, certain players made MISTAKES, big ones which led to goal-scoring chances and goals for Germany, even their most reliable player in legendary keeper Mark Schwarzer! On the other hand, Benaglio had an amazing game as did Lichsteiner and the rest of defence though not flawless did very well too.

And I didn't see 4-5 CLEAR goalscoring chances for Spain. I saw a couple. They had many good/decent chances but only a couple were GREAt chances. The majority of the time they had the ball but were passing from side to center and not causing ALL that much danger.

So all in all for me, Spain played well but not as well as Germany and Switzerland definitely was better than Australia, the result shouldn't be difference of 5 goals though still between the two games and luck was a big factor, also , I acknowledge that.

I think you hit the nail right on the head with that last sentence. It's very personal. I love good flowing attacking creative free-form football. That's why I love watching Pedro and Co. in Barcelona. BUT I also love the "Art of Defending" and organization and doing what Inter Milan and Swiss did. For me they are 2 sides of the coin. Come hand in hand. Balance. Sometimes you'll need Option A, sometimes B. A truly good team is flexible and can play both ways depending on the team they're against and the situation. That team can then pick the best plan and execute it and that's the team I respect most.

Anyway Spain is still the best team in my opinion. Not just in this group but in the world. It's just due to some bad luck and a few mistakes like wasting corners, not taking chances, etc. they are now in a tough situation. But I believe they'll recover

As for Switzerland, now a lot more people are giving them more respect which they deserve. And let's not forget, while Spain had everybody in this game (though some were clearly not 100% like Torres and Iniesta), Switzerland was missing Captain Frei, Valon Behrami and had Senderos go off injured early. Barnetta definitely didn't look 100% either. He can play a lot better than that.

EDIT: poof, sorry, just realized this is Brazil thread and we've made it go off-topic kind of now talking in length about Spain and Switzerland. Let's get back to the magic Yellow!

Last edited:

Stinks of bitterness, drekkard, this "holier than thou" attitude a lot of Barcelona fans have about how football should be played.

Switzerland many times commited 3 or 4 men forward during attacks and could have scored another if Derdiyok wasn't unlucky to hit the post.

This definitely wasn't the ultra-defensive approach Inter took at the Nou Camp, where they had everyone behind the ball and Eto'o virtually playing at right-back.

Yeah and in that case Inter was with 10 men vs. Barcelona's mighty 11 from first half. So I couldn't even blame Inter to do what they did and get job done.

But yeah Derdiyok and co. could've scored another one as well. In fact I thought they would but he hits the upright...

I have to agree with PLF on this one. Switzerland were very organized and didn't seem afraid at all. Their players were very quick to get back into position and were very effective on the counter. Australia just seemed nervous and lacked any defensive spine, so they were easily dismantled. They then lost their leader, which made things go from bad to worse.

Spain had most of the possession, but they didn't really use it effectively. Possession doesn't mean much most of the time, it just means you can pass around the box but not into the box.

montagem_ronaldo_fabiano_rooney_get_afp_470.jpg

Ronaldo: 11 matches without a goal
Rooney and Fabiano: 6 matches and no goal

Who will be the first to score?

Stinks of bitterness, drekkard, this "holier than thou" attitude a lot of Barcelona fans have about how football should be played.

I think you didn't read my post carefully, as PLF did. I said it's my personal liking of how football should be played. I have no "bitterness" like you say and as you'll see I had no problem giving coongrats to Inter, as they deserved to win at San Siro. You may be confusing me with someone else.

Besides, I don't know why you have to talk about the "holier than thou" attittude when I did not say anything towards this. I said I dislike teams playing ultra-defensive tactics, and how ultra-conservative attittudes are making football boring to watch lately. And unfair (cheating the ref constantly, diving, wasting time more than ever...)

About Switzerland-Spain and the chances they both had:
You can talk all you want but at the end of the match Switzerland had 2 chances, one of them a post and another one a goal that could have been disallowed. They did nothing else remarkable in the offensive department.

On the other side, Spain had NOT the best of his games, but managed to have 3 chances vs the goalkeeper (Pique, Villa and Iniesta), 1 post, 3 shots that wen only one inch wide in very clear situations (Iniesta, Navas and Silva). Add to that a clear penalty to Villa in the first half that the referee didn't have the guts to point, and the Swiss player who should have been sent off in the first half for putting down Iniesta being the last defender.

So, to me, the result was not fair. Besides that, I can reckon that Swiss players played very organized, very solid and did a good job of defending with 10 men behind the ball (they did that for 80 minutes).

My main point is that I (personal oppinion that many will share) don't like this way of playing football and seems to be a trend lately. We see teams that celebrate tying 0-0 a game without even shooting at goal once. To me, that's not the spirit of this sport.

But, for example, Algeria yesterday played VERY well against England. They tried to have the ball, to play and score! I understand celebrating that display. But if Algeria had been 90 minutes with 10 men in the own area, it would have been crap for me. I'm saying it's not only important WHAT you achieve but HOW you achieve it.

For the record, I'm not a "possession" fan only. I like teams that play to win and to win in a nice way. Capello's Milan did that and was awesome to watch, the same as Sacchi's Milan; Chelsea has been a pleasure to watch this season, and I like a lot the Premiere. But also Romania and Sweden back in the 90 world cup.

Watch again matches from Mexico '86 and you won't see teams parking the bus in front of the net for 90 minutes.

PS: And for the records, possession it's not "barcelona style". In fact is the "mechanical orange" style that the netherlands made so popular in the 70s, and that's how pretty much all the netherlands teams have tried to play football since then.

Back
Top Bottom