Women's Football Thread

No no, I was clearly joking! I cant cook for shit!
yao-ming-meme.png

And the Italian Don Juan strikes back! He is always looking for the next bird. Well, I guess you don't watch Castle on RAI 2. You should take a look at this police procedural comedy-drama series (jesus, this gotta be a new TV category :LOL:). Stana Katic is the girl in my avatar and she portraits Detective Kate Beckett in that series. An adorable woman. :D

:D man, i really gotta watch more tv!! :P thanks for the heads up bro.
and btw, u gotta work on your cooking... every woman loves a man who can stimulate her taste ;)

Last edited:
and btw, u gotta work on your cooking... every woman loves a man who can stimulate her taste ;)

I'm already working on that! I love to watch cookie shows and spend my time in the kitchen "helping" (well, maybe not) my mom. :LOL:

The Algarve Cup is about to begin! I'm very excited with this tournament, for the very first time I'll take a closer look at Alex Morgan, Hope Solo and others.

Talking about Alex... :LOVE:

tumblr_lz6osn0OsJ1r1w8xpo1_400.jpg

SI swimsuit 2012 preview

I saw it in her fb, she looks really stunning there, as always :D

BTW it's great noticing about the existing of this thread. Here in argentina women's football isn't really supported. We have not a good international level yet (if you don't believe it, check scoreboards on the video :P), but even in the olympics or panamericans, we can barely watch some highlights of our NT's matches :(

Here's a player that I followed in a few matches that I saw, even when she scored an own goal on WC years ago :P

YouTube - Eva González - Fútbol Capitán Aregentinian (Boca Juniors)

Last edited:
You may not have a top feminine football team but you certainly have one of the strongest field hockey teams lead by an outstanding Luciana Aymar (must be the name, Ay(i)mar = Magic). Why doesn't your FA support the girls? Argentina loves football, surely there are lots of girls over there that would have enjoyed to play at the big stage, you just need effort and conditions to back them. Our Portuguese women NT has been developing over the the last decade and now they are fighting for a spot in the next Euro Cup. It took time but it's worth a shot. :)

So, Algarve Cup is about to start. It will take place between 29th February and 7th March and I'll try to keep you informed. Going to be a nice preparation for the Olympic Games. I'll back the USA team of course. Wonder why! :LOL:

Yeah, "la maga" Aymar is godlike to us in hockey :)
AFA doesn't support female football because it doesn't get good results at an international level, just like every sports discipline which isn't supported the way it should be in our country. I hope in the future we can watch our national team at the big stage as you said and know more about these girls. I'm sure that a lot of people will support them.

BTW, do you know If ex-Canada NT, Kara Lang is still surfing? She was my favourite player till she retired :(

The last time I heard of Kara was when she retired. Never heard of her anymore. Kara Lang was such a talent, shame the injuries, specially the knee injuries, forced her to retire at the age of 24. Could have been an hell of a player. :(

At the first glance I thought she was wearing a bikini then later I realise that it was a body paint. I've already seen her photo shoot and it didn't impress me to be honest. I hate when they abuse of photoshop! Photos are too shiny for my taste and they even erased her tattoo! Besides, her breasts are too small. But yeah, still love her.

At the first glance I thought she was wearing a bikini then later I realise that it was a body paint. I've already seen her photo shoot and it didn't impress me to be honest. I hate when they abuse of photoshop! Photos are too shiny for my taste and they even erased her tattoo! Besides, her breasts are too small. But yeah, still love her.

+1 to all :P

BTW, did you guys see this?

YouTube - Leah (Brazil)

WHouah i didnt see at the first time, but Alex Morgan pict it's a body paint !

woah, u have quite a sens de l'observation, thomas... i would have never noticed it. :CONFUSE:

anyway andre, i imagine having small breasts should be an advantage when playing football.... u know, better balance on the jump, more "confortable" runnning dynamics, less load on the backbone.... :P
...although the idea of a busty lady performing a "stoppata di petto" is absolutely wonderful (if anyone knows how to translate in english "stoppata di petto", please help me here.... seriously guys, the english football dictionary sucks big time... how can u not have a word to describe the stoppata?!? that's ridiculous!).

as for the brazilian girl over here, i think not even delap could pull that off!!! :DD

:LOL:

Rory Delap would've been proud indeed! :D

I'm not that big on Alex Morgan guys, I gotta be honest. The small boobs just kill it for me. She's definitely CUTE though. But not that sexy imo.

@Thomas, good eye! I never noticed either!

As for the Italian saying, well somebody better translate because I wanna know what Ben's saying.

So Algarve Cup has finally started and I'll keep you updated. For those who don't know, Algarve Cup is a global invitational tournament for national teams in women's association football. Held annually in the Algarve region of Portugal since 1994, it is one of the most prestigious women's football events, alongside the Women's World Cup and Women's Olympic Football. (Thanks Wikipédia! :LOL:)

Unfortunately there is little information regarding this tournament so I have to search a bit more to find vids, highlights (click in the score), whatsoever.

algarve_cup_mundialito_futebol.jpg

Group A

Germany 1–0 Iceland
22px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png

22px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden 1–0 China
22px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png

Iceland 1–4 Sweden

22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany 1–0 China

Sweden 0-4 Germany

China 0-1 Iceland

Group B

22px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan 2-1 Norway
22px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png

22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States 5–0 Denmark
22px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png

Denmark 0–2 Japan

United States 2–1 Norway

Norway 0-1 Denmark

Japan 1-0 United States

Group C

22px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png
Republic of Ireland 0-1 Hungary
22px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png

22px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png
Portugal 0–1 Wales
22px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png

Portugal 4–0 Hungary

Wales 0-0 Republic of Ireland

Hungary 1-2 Wales

Portugal 2-1 Republic of Ireland

Last edited:
Re: Women's Football Thread - Algarve Cup 2012

morgan's first goal was a beauty :))
as for usa's 3rd goal, how lucky were they? u hit the post from 5 meters and the ball bounce back right on your feet?!? why does that never happen to me! :P
also check out the through pass from denmark no. 10 at 2:30. sweeeet! :)) the entire usa defensive line was caught off guard. too bad her teammate was a complete idiot and didn't realise she was supposed to make a diagonal cut-movement inside the box... otherwise that might have been a great goal.

Last edited:

As for the third one, Ben, didn't you realise she did it on purpose? :P It's all about technique and style. :D

Alex is getting better and better. I've been following her career since the WC and it became obvious to me that this girl is going to be an huge icon for Women's football. Man, her shoot is outstanding, she got that natural killer instinct you know, when she targets the net there's no way to stop her. Besides, her positioning is great, Morgan always manages to find the right spot at the right time. Of course it helps when you're faster and stronger than your opponents. No wonder they call her 'Baby Horse'. :D

I've also updated USA-Norway and Portugal-Hungary games. Check them out, specially the Portugal one, some lovely goals there. :)

PS: Andrea Rodrigues, 1st goal scorer, she is very Morgan-esque. :P

Didn't know Wales were playing in this competition, and we beat the hosts too. Had a peek at the highlights, bit of a smash and grab win for us though!

Didn't know Wales were playing in this competition, and we beat the hosts too. Had a peek at the highlights, bit of a smash and grab win for us though!

Didn't watch Wales game but according to the report you were extremely lucky. Wales has a good defense though. Zero goals conceded so far. Looking forward to last fixture.

EDIT: Shame on me but I forgot to explain the rules of this cup.

The twelve invited teams were split into three groups that played a round-robin tournament.

Groups A and B, containing the strongest ranked teams, are the only ones in contention to win the title. The group winners from A and B will contest the final, with the runners-up playing for third place and those that finished third in these two groups playing for fifth place.

The teams in Group C are playing for places 7–12, with the winner of Group C playing the team that finishes fourth in Group A or B with the better record for seventh place and the Group C runner-up playing the team which came last in Group A or B with the worse record for ninth place. The third and fourth-placed teams in Group C play for eleventh place.

Points awarded in the group stage follow the standard formula of three points for a win, one point for a draw and zero points for a loss. In the case of two teams being tied on the same amount of points in a group, their head-to-head result determined the higher place.

As you can see, teams from group C don't compete for the trophy as they are less experienced and less competitive than teams from groups A and B.

Last edited:

I've also updated USA-Norway and Portugal-Hungary games. Check them out, specially the Portugal one, some lovely goals there. :)

yep some very nice football by portugal too :)) i'm loving your coverage of the algarve cup brother.... keep em coming :APPLAUD:

Oh, I heard about this Cyprus Tournament as well. Glad to see Sónia Bompastor in shape. Thanks for posting Thomas! :)

yep some very nice football by portugal too :)) i'm loving your coverage of the algarve cup brother.... keep em coming :APPLAUD:

Appreciate your comments Ben. Nice to see you care about Women's footie bro. :)

btw, you can't miss the final tomorrow! The game will be aired live at 1 p.m. here (and probably Eurosport will broadcast it too, I read somewhere)

Eleventh place match

Hungary 1-2 Republic of Ireland

Ninth place match

Portugal 0-1 China

Seventh place match

22px-Flag_of_Wales.svg.png
Wales 0-3 Norway

Fifth place match

Iceland 1-3 Denmark

Third place match

Sweden 0-1 United States

Final

Germany 4-3 Japan

An so it is, the nineteenth edition of the Algarve Cup has ended. Congratulations to the German NT for their dramatic victory over Japan (4-3) at Faro.

See you next year ladies! :BYE:

Last edited:
Re: Women's Football Thread - Algarve Cup 2012: Germany win

Congrats to the german NT! Too bad that I couldn't watch any matches :(

EDIT: I saw USA against Norway highlights and I noticed that Salomé Di Iorio was the referee of that match, really proud of her representing our country at an international competition. Actually he would be better than some referees at "Torneo Clausura" :D

Last edited:

I saw USA against Norway highlights and I noticed that Salomé Di Iorio was the referee of that match, really proud of her representing our country at an international competition. Actually he would be better than some referees at "Torneo Clausura" :D

To be honest, women's referees are much better than men. Well, game is very different in terms of intensity, physical contact and pace but we gotta credit them for their good refereeing in women's footie.

btw, I hope you enjoyed the highlights. ;)

@ VK I noticed that Anouk Hoogendijk girl on another board and, man, I fell in love at the first sight!

8440_1209409929.jpg

:LOVE:

such a long neck cute girl. Im done with Morgan/Solo there boring me Already! Filigno... might be an interesting few weeks :BOP:

such a long neck cute girl. Im done with Morgan/Solo there boring me Already! Filigno... might be an interesting few weeks :BOP:

I like long necks. :LOL: They could be very useful...

Oh that Filigno girl, I've been hearing her name for a loooooong time bebo! A cousin of mine is absolutely crazy for her. :) Pretty girl must confess.

Yeah, I'm little bit tired of Morgan as well tbh with you.

tumblr_m0mdsvVJnr1r959w5o3_1280.jpg

Definately, things won't work out between us Alex! You have to change or we break up. :(

Haha that's true, really pretty girl

I stay with both Lauri and Laure :SMUG:

You're very smart lerp. No coincidence you picked two girls with a similar name, there's no way you could forget about them. :D I didn't know Louri tbh, beautiful woman. My word.

Loved your observation bebo!! :D

Yeah, this long-necked Dutch is such a beauty!

But from that list I guess I'd have to choose Corine Franco :LOVE:

You're very smart lerp. No coincidence you picked two girls with a similar name, there's no way you could forget about them. :D

LOL you got me :COAT:
I got really surprised about alex's speed and ability to get unmarked, she's so damn fast! Another curious thing about her is that she's always smiling, I couldn't find a non-smiling pic of her :D

BTW, you put wales flag instead of ireland :P

Back
Top Bottom