Wireless Surround Sound System

Tim7

Retired Footballer
6 May 2003
Gravesend
Charlton Athletic FC
As the title suggests really! I'm looking for a new surround sound system with wireless rear speakers. Got a budget of about £300. Any recommendations? :))

I've no personal experience of a wireless system, but what I will say is there is no such thing as true wireless speakers. All you are doing is cutting out the speaker wire from the AV receiver to the speaker. Each speaker still needs power, therefore what you lose in speaker wire you more than gain in power cables to each speaker.

Also, I've heard that the sound quality through wireless systems is nothing special.

Personally I would think again about whether you need a wireless system or not. With my setup I run the speaker wire through some D-Line trunking (http://www.d-line.co.uk/) around the skirting board and the end result looks nice and tidy.

Hmm, thanks Jamezinho, but my cable isn't long enough to reach from the amp to the rear speakers, plus I can't run it around the skirting board as there's an open archway one side. I knew the rear speakers need power and that won't be a problem. I guess I'll continue looking online. There's a nice one I saw on amazon, a Samsung one for £318.

If the power cables and supply is not an issue then go for it. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

@ Lami - RUF is in instead mate.

Yeah, I couldn't find a bad word written about it on the internet so I went for it! Got the Wireless Samsung receiver too! Might take a while to arrive though.

Just received it and wired it all up, connected everything etc, fucking thing won't even turn on. All that happens is the red power button on the unit flashes dim red and bright red. Won't respond to anything.

Just received it and wired it all up, connected everything etc, fucking thing won't even turn on. All that happens is the red power button on the unit flashes dim red and bright red. Won't respond to anything.

THORT IT WOZ WIRELUSS?!?!?11'%455R4#TR!1

Front speakers ain't. I'm getting a full refund. Now off to Bluewater to get the HT-D5100 instead.

All set up and connected now with the Samsung HT-D5100. I really like it :)), Blu rays look immense and the sound is amazing. The wireless rear speakers work brilliantly too, you couldn't tell they're wireless, no sound loss at all. I would recommend!

I'm gonna be in the hunt for a new surround setup in the coming weeks

Looking at the details of the one you have it seems the kind i would be looking for. It plays alot of files and has HD sound

Yeah it's really good Coopz. I have a 3 way optical switch too, so I just choose if I want Xbox or Sky HD optical going into the surround sound.

Yeah it's really good Coopz. I have a 3 way optical switch too, so I just choose if I want Xbox or Sky HD optical going into the surround sound.

i know sky doesnt do 5.1 via hdmi and needs an optical lead, but is this also true of the 360?

Yeah I knew about Sky, not entirely sure about Xbox to be honest. Whenever I use sound through the Xbox HDMI though it's always delayed by about 1 second so I just use optical all the time.

Yeah you need an optical cable for the 360, it's the only way to get 5.1 out of it, I got these ones off Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390343835748&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:1123 bought two, one for the 360 slim and one for our popcorn hour, they then go into our new receiver (Yamaha RX-V367) along with our 2nd 360 (modded phat) and then that all goes out to the projector from the receiver via one hdmi cable, just choose HDMI 1/2/3 on the Receiver for whichever device we want to use and it passes through the signal to the projector with no delay, works really well, just have basic wired speakers though :)

After looking around im gonna get in to the proper surround systems

Gonna cost £500+ though and thats just for a Onkyo receiver and Tannoy speakers

Expensive but its the cheapest that does DTS HD, Dolby HD and Pro Logic IIz and alot of other new stuff as far as i know and they are highly recommended

I'm gonna have more of a look around as i don't even think i need HD sound :LOL:

edit: this one has Audyssey on which i want :)

This not only automatically calibrates speakers, but also corrects room acoustic issues. The upshot of this hi-tech processing is ideal sound quality, whatever the room.

Last edited:
£179.95 for a Sony STRDH810 and that does all the HD audio but it has no network options on it and again i don't think i need them either

Its getting cheaper...

Choosing ours was a bit of a problem as a headphone socket was an absolute must as the wife generally goes to sleep a bit before me as she has to be up for work so I lay watching football or tv shows or such and like to actually be able to hear it :) Finding a receiver that had optical in and a headphone out was a big problem, the Yamaha was one of the few that did it :)

I picked up the Yamaha RX-V567 earlier this year and it's a cracking receiver. Previously I had the RX-V361, which was entry level and very basic, but still a very good unit.

The RX-V567 is definitely worth a look as it only cost me £200 and has a really good feature set with things like HD Audio, 3D ready, 4 HDMI in - 1 out, audio return over HDMI, standby bypass mode, video upscaling, 7.1.........a lot of features for the money.

I don't think it's got network options but I don't care about that really.

Choosing ours was a bit of a problem as a headphone socket was an absolute must as the wife generally goes to sleep a bit before me as she has to be up for work so I lay watching football or tv shows or such and like to actually be able to hear it :) Finding a receiver that had optical in and a headphone out was a big problem, the Yamaha was one of the few that did it :)

I forgot all about a headphone socket but i just checked and this has one :)

I picked up the Yamaha RX-V567 earlier this year and it's a cracking receiver. Previously I had the RX-V361, which was entry level and very basic, but still a very good unit.

The RX-V567 is definitely worth a look as it only cost me £200 and has a really good feature set with things like HD Audio, 3D ready, 4 HDMI in - 1 out, audio return over HDMI, standby bypass mode, video upscaling, 7.1.........a lot of features for the money.

I don't think it's got network options but I don't care about that really.

Alot of people rate that reciever, where did you pick it up for £200?

Coopz, HD sound is amazing, you'll love it!

:)

I guess you only get that from blurays though right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom