Will Konami ever have the tools to go with the talent

ShaneJoshua80

Non-League
10 September 2005
I read the following article where Steve Chiang of E.A describes their approach to sports games and the E.A sports Lab they have which they use when implementing new or exsisting technology into their games.

What is driving this initiative for a more realistic looking athlete? Is this what the gamers want from market research, or is this an internal project to make EA games look more photo-realistic?

' Steve Chiang: It’s really a combination of both. Ourfans and customers demand authentic and realistic looking characters. Sports fans who watch a lot of sports on TV aren’t interested in playing with “blocky” looking polygon figures. They want to play with real looking players that act like their real-life counterparts. But it’s about much more than just looking realistic. It’s about making athletes come alive and play realistic. In order to capture real athleticism, in order to capture that style, that flair, that emotion that real athletes have, it’s about making guys move right. It’s about making them aware, intelligent, smart, and make them have some attitude. What we know is that if you can capture all of those things, you have a game that not only looks good, but it feels good and plays good as well. The user is in more control and the gameplay is more responsive. '

This interview was taken last year and it just show the approach E.A are now taking. As far as I am aware PES does not use any mo capped.

I am far from saying PES 2009 is dead in the water but it shows you have to be top of your game and always pushing what it possible because if you dont someone will. For years E.A were guilty of just giving punters updated squads and kits but no gameplay but now they are begining offer more than that as well.

Apparently Seabass has increased his team which is start but I am not too sure if they have anyhting near the standards of the E.A lab(I'm not saying you have to have a lab to be successful;))) , E.A are only going to get better I just wonder whether Konami are willing to listen to their fanbase and take up the challenge

You might get flamed now because PES is already a perfect football simulator and everything that EA does is bad.

I think Konami will step up, they must make the game more realistic to keep up with the new FIFA games. I think they just didn't expect EA to come out this strong and thought they could get away with releasing the same old game again.

You might get flamed now because PES is already a perfect football simulator and everything that EA does is bad.
Yes, I think that's abundantly clear from other posts around on the forums. Please respect the fact that PES is perfect and EA are rubbish.

Yes, I think that's abundantly clear from other posts around on the forums. Please respect the fact that PES is perfect and EA are rubbish.
I think it's abundantly clear he was being sarcastic, look at the second line of his post. :)

Or perhaps it's abundantly clear that you're being sarcastic as well.

Sarcasm and the internet don't work well together...

I am being sarcastic but only because I don't think the sarcasm was about being flamed, thus casting aspersions on the good Evo-Web people of not being able to read what is quite a neutral post without spaffing out EhAte™.

Sarcasm and the internet 4 eva.

ITT: ignorant people who've never played Pro Yakyuu Spirit 5 or J League Winning Eleven 9 AC and 2008 CC and are convinced that a company capable of creating a visual masterpiece such as Metal Gear Solid 4 doesn't own the technology and talent to develop a realistic looking football game.

Newsflash, they haven't made any yet on Next Gen. systems because the utterly dumb fanboy'ish playerbase is so stuck up, uncompromising and full of shit they'd buy anything labelled as PES, swallow it, swear it's the best game ever produced and flame the hell out of anyone who think otherwise so Takatsuka and co. can get by with very little efforts and still manage to sell millions of copies, do you really feel like blaming them? I sure as heck don't.

Look at Polyphony Digital, they've been rehashing the same glitchy, AI-less, un-entertaining stuff for ages with minimal upgrades here and there aimed at luring the casuals (sadly, the biggest market nowadays) and their products keep selling so much even demo's preorders get well over the 1 million figure, despite the game having a truckload of flaws that should've been fixed on PS1, why would they even contemplate the idea of investing on new technology and research to implement realistic damage or a reliable online feature in order to improve the gaming experience if the majority of potential customers would make a bestseller out of anything with the "Gran Turismo" label printed on the case?

Stop buying their games and they'll think twice before releasing another half assed chapter of one of their best money-making franchises, Electronic Arts started listening to their players when their flagship titles failed to beat the competition for the 2nd~3rd year in a row, what a coincidence uh?

Last edited:
Not going to happen any time soon. Just accept and embrace the fact that the good old PES days are over and move to FIFA, that's what I plan to do. :)

ITT: ignorant people who've never played Pro Yakyuu Spirit 5 or J League Winning Eleven 9 AC and 2008 CC and are convinced that a company capable of creating a visual masterpiece such as Metal Gear Solid 4 doesn't own the technology and talent to develop a realistic looking football game.

Newsflash, they haven't made any yet on Next Gen. systems because the utterly dumb fanboy'ish playerbase is so stuck up, uncompromising and full of shit they'd buy anything labelled as PES, swallow it, swear it's the best game ever produced and flame the hell out of anyone who think otherwise so Takatsuka and co. can get by with very little efforts and still manage to sell millions of copies, do you really feel like blaming them? I sure as heck don't.

Look at Polyphony Digital, they've been rehashing the same glitchy, AI-less, un-entertaining stuff for ages with minimal upgrades here and there aimed at luring the casuals (sadly, the biggest market nowadays) and their products keep selling so much even demo's preorders get well over the 1 million figure, despite the game having a truckload of flaws that should've been fixed on PS1, why would they even contemplate the idea of investing on new technology and research to implement realistic damage or a reliable online feature in order to improve the gaming experience if the majority of potential customers would make a bestseller out of anything with the "Gran Turismo" label printed on the case?

Stop buying their games and they'll think twice before releasing another half assed chapter of one of their best money-making franchises, Electronic Arts started listening to their players when their flagship titles failed to beat the competition for the 2nd~3rd year in a row, what a coincidence uh?

What a post :TU:

I think the problem is that with next gen ppl are expecting too much about PES and Konami. PES never had good animations and graphics. FIFA always did. But now every next gen game has a very realistic approach, human beahviour etc and you guys are expecting and wanting too much from konami. PES 2008 has a bad gameplay. I confesse. But if PES 2009 has good gameplay I will enjoy it, even if it has bad player animations. i don´t care about it, I just want gameplay. If you judge pes for the graphics and that visual stuff then you should move to fifa, because who wants that and licenses and stuff, always played fifa. And don´t tell me FIFA is a great simulator just because it has all licenses and real player animations. That´s the old fifa fan boy argument. Be careful, you can become one of them ;)

Starting the thread with a snippet from an interview with an EA employee boasting about their product. All seems a bit too familiar. Long way to go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom