Whose spent the best?

Alright, since we're getting deep on this, I thought I'd throw another wood to the fire. One of the more underrated things when it comes to transfers is how the player fits into his new team, and it also matters who is already at the club and how they might react.

Shevchenko and Ballack's signings last year were improvements on paper, but unsettled what was previously a match-winning machine. They were too big to fit into the system. Sheva was competing with Drogba for playing time, the wingers weren't set, too many midfield players, all of whom good enough to start. At a team you have to have a clear hierarchy and competitions for playing time should be resolved.

In that respect, ManU and Milan have been best. Because we can all name a starting eleven for each from years back. Few teams prosper with 13 "starters", it doesn't lead to collectiveness. In Milan and ManU, the top dogs are well known and a new 'alpha' player is brought in to replace an old one, not just because he's good, but because he's good for the team. Beckham left, Ronaldo came in. RVN left, so Saha could flourish. Teams like Real that stack talented players on top of each other notably can't seem to sustain form for a long stretch.

Basically, I'm saying having clear levels/hierarchy of skill at the club is conducive to a more harmonious team. If you have players duplicating each other (Ballack, Lampard) it leads to neither player feeling comfortable and settling into some sort of consistent form. Or worse, both playing at the same time, which makes you weaker because you have two players with the same weaknesses. If you have two different players (Pirlo, Gattusso), one can cover for the other's shortcomings.

With all that said, I loved Bayern, because now they've formed a pair of versatile wingers there and Toni and Klose can lead from the front with Podolski accepting he can earn a spot up front if he works hard. That's constructive for the future and keeps everyone sharp.
------
On another topic, who knows more about David Suazo? I just watched the highlights of Cagliari-AC Milan last season and that dude won the game for Cagliari single-handedly. Seriously athletic and fast, kinda like a deadly Martins. I think he might surprise people when playing on a team like Inter and turn out to be a fantastic signing. Can't say I'm happy Milan lost out on him.

Whose spent the best? Man Utd in my opinion. They have all bases covered in their squad with quality.

I don't agree entirely. Their defence and goalkeeping situation is very shaky. Vidic is good, but Ferdinand is mistake-prone, as is Evra (defensively). The goalie situation is also questionable since van der saar is aging and the polish guy they signed has shown nothing yet. ManU's strength has always been the midfield, where they break moves down and retain the ball, thus they may be able to get away without truly great defenders, but, as Milan showed last year, they may not.

agree with almost everything u wrote, Vlad ;)
about Suazo, he's not a "surprise" anymore..... at least for everybody who followed serie a in the past few years.
many teams were looking for him and he's for sure a great buy.
About the comparison with Martins, i'd say suazo is much better than Oba oba. Martins has a great acceleration, but just in a short range. David is a little slower than martins in the short distance, but his progression is really unbeliavable. he and kakà are probably the fastest players in italy (i'd say in europe too).

but while martins hasn't a great technique and is a little selfish, david has sweet foot too and is much better than oba, talking about teamwork.

that dude won the game for Cagliari single-handedly.
Cagliari won many games just thanks to him in the past 2 years :)

Last edited:
Great, so I'm a fantastic one-game scout. You've confirmed what I thought. Hand the scudetto to Inter again then, i'm afraid :(

Since you're here, what do you think of Quagliarella? Why hasn't Milan made a move for him? He looked pretty useful the couple of times I saw him play.

Since you're here, what do you think of Quagliarella? Why hasn't Milan made a move for him? He looked pretty useful the couple of times I saw him play.

i don't think fabio will move from udinese this summer.... for 2 reasons.

the first one is that udinese president V. Pozzo is a very, very tough negotiator. once he says he won't sell a player, there's no way to get this player, unless u pay 2 times that player's value. everybody knows here in italy, so that's why (at the moment) nobody is trying to get quagliarella (except juve.....maybe).

the second reason is that top clubs (in italy and in europe) are still waiting fabio to "confirm" himself, with another great season. in the last 3 years fabio made great improvements. last season he was amazing. now top clubs are waiting to see if he'll have another season like last one (or even just close to the last one) before spending 20 millions for him (because u can be sure, pozzo won't sell him for less that 18\20 millions).

at the moment there are some rumours about juve starting a looong negotiate to get fabio for the next summer... but by now it's nothing more than rumours.

I think Lyon have spent wisely, as have Barca despite signing Henry ;), though i think Palermo should get an honourable mention for signing Bosko Jankovic, who is going to be one to watch this season. You're a lucky man lo zio!

about david suazo: I like to call him, ironically, "poor man's eto'o " , lol. he has a similar speed, although eto'o's acceleration is better, david is more bulked up and stronger physically. good header of the ball, good technique, quite two footed and has a precise and powerful shot. good mentality and teamwork. so all in all, he may not be one of the best in the world, but he's a very complete player and a very useful one to have on the pitch. good buy for inter.

about david suazo: I like to call him, ironically, "poor man's eto'o " , lol. he has a similar speed, although eto'o's acceleration is better, david is more bulked up and stronger physically. good header of the ball, good technique, quite two footed and has a precise and powerful shot. good mentality and teamwork. so all in all, he may not be one of the best in the world, but he's a very complete player and a very useful one to have on the pitch. good buy for inter.

yep, that's not a bad comparison. but of course eto'o is on another level. eto'o has an unbelievable finishing ability and an awesome ball control, while david sometimes makes silly mistakes when he's in front of the gk (about the ball control, being taller than eto'o of course he can't be good as samuel). that's why i'd say he's far from beign a world class player.... but still a very good buy and a pretty useful player.
moreover david has different abilities from zlatan's, crespo's, adriano's and cruz's ones so he can be pretty useful for inter (*thinking to vlad's previous post* ;)).
btw inter definitely has too many fowards.

i think Palermo should get an honourable mention for signing Bosko Jankovic, who is going to be one to watch this season. You're a lucky man lo zio!
we bought good players, that's true.... but we also lost good players (corini and di michele) and we still might loose barzagli and bresciano (:()

about Jankovic, i saw him playing just once, against italy under 21 this summer , and i've got to say he was really impressive; but one match isn't enough to properly rate him, so we'll see ;):)

Last edited:
Palermo were one of my favourite Italian sides to watch last year, and they came so close to getting into the Champions League, one can only hope Barzagli and Bresciano stay put as they try and improve on last seasons position.

I still find it funny no one gave a crap about hargreaves before he was called up into the England squad and now suddenly hes the best player in the world.

Whose spent the best? Man Utd in my opinion. They have all bases covered in their squad with quality.

I think United lack a true Centre Forward, and a backup right back, and they need to sort the Heinze situation. Vidic may be a liability at times IMO.

But yes, they are stronger NOW then they were last season, and that is a scary prospect.

I'm not sure about Liverpool. Torres will add immensely to the team, but all of our strikers drop deep. We need someone who is aggresive in the box and gets on the end of crosses, and follows up deflections. I would of Liked Huntelaar AND Torres, with either Kuyt or Crouch making way. The latter two I admire immensley but I think they lack somewhat in certain areas. They both have tremendous workrates, but are too wasteful infront of goal. Crouch needs to work on the neck muscles, and Kuyt needs to learn to place the ball in the back of the net. He snaps at chances too much. I will reserve judgement until later in the season however, considering it was his first in English football.

I think United lack a true Centre Forward, and a backup right back, and they need to sort the Heinze situation. Vidic may be a liability at times IMO.

But yes, they are stronger NOW then they were last season, and that is a scary prospect.

I'm not sure about Liverpool. Torres will add immensely to the team, but all of our strikers drop deep. We need someone who is aggresive in the box and gets on the end of crosses, and follows up deflections. I would of Liked Huntelaar AND Torres, with either Kuyt or Crouch making way. The latter two I admire immensley but I think they lack somewhat in certain areas. They both have tremendous workrates, but are too wasteful infront of goal. Crouch needs to work on the neck muscles, and Kuyt needs to learn to place the ball in the back of the net. He snaps at chances too much. I will reserve judgement until later in the season however, considering it was his first in English football.

we dont need a "true centre forward" we had arguably the best in ruud, but played better football without him last year, saha is the nearest we have to a out and out CF...

our defense is good enough with or without gabby, and we've got two very good young CB in evans and pique plus the back four will get alot of protection from hargreaves...

lfc signings have puzzled me, I still dont think yous have the firepower upfront thats you's need even tho the alot of money has been spent, you's look pretty similar to last year IMO...

The ManU defence is only good enough when its offence produces goals. Which means it really isn't good enough. As ACM exposed last year, if you guys can't maintain possession of the ball through your midfield, your defence aint saving nobody.

To Terry26, considering ACM secured Alexandre Pato, I think you might wanna rethink your rankings.

The ManU defence is only good enough when its offence produces goals. Which means it really isn't good enough. As ACM exposed last year, if you guys can't maintain possession of the ball through your midfield, your defence aint saving nobody.

To Terry26, considering ACM secured Alexandre Pato, I think you might wanna rethink your rankings.

What you have said isn't remotely fair though and I say that as an Evertonian.

The fact is when Milan played Manure last season they had no Ferdinand, no Neville, no Evra and a Vidic rushed back from a broken collarbone as well as an out of position Heinze (doesn't play at cb for club).

If you want to make a fair comment about Manure then I would suggest it is based on the rest of the champions league and the premier league of last year.

To say Manure's defence was bad because of the games against Milan is like saying that Chelsea don't have a good defence because last year they were rubbish when Cech and Terry were out injured.

If you want to make a point it needs to be based on a fair playing field and not distorted.

Back
Top Bottom