Which should I buy........?

dutty_nose111

Also known as Chelsea 108
15 January 2006
Birmingham
Manchester United
Hi everyone, I am 14 and my mom is prepared to buy me either an Xbox 360 or a PS3\\:o/ for Christmas (an early Christmas present basically) . I am unsure of which to get, even after about a month of research on both consoles. I am a fairly "heavy" casual gamer, and I am not particularly bothered about online, as I play multiplayer with my friends when they come round. We have a Sharp Acquous 27" TV, which is HD compatible, i.e. it has a HDMI port, it can display up to 1080i, however the screen resolution is just the basic simple LCD TV resolution. I am a fan of the potential downloadable content, so I would enjoy a larger HDD. However, I have still been unable to choose the console I would prefer, I am very interested in the Xbox Elite, especially as it is £299.99 here in the UK, but the thing holding me back from it is whether or not they have solved the overheating issues. However with the PS3, the games aren't as good yet, and developers are finding it difficult to understand the codes. However, when they do the games will be exceptional - as the space on the Blu-Ray is 50GB (:shock:). If anybody would be interested in telling me their opinions on the console I should choose, based on the given information, I would be eternally thankful. Looking forward to the replies:)

The 360 has absolutely tons of amazing games, Gears Of War, Bioshock (which is one of the best games I have ever played), and the best ports are always on the 360. However, next year the PS3 has some great games coming out.

I would say 360, because you can buy it now and play it now, whereas with the PS3 you will be waiting for good games to come out for a long while. But everyone has different opinions.

Thanks for the reply, I was seriously considering getting the 360 Elite, but I am not sure whether or not Microsoft have put the new 65nm components into the 360. Jack, if you have a 360, which model do you have and how is it working?

If you have a monitor or TV with a VGA connection, then HDMI shows very little improvement on that to the naked eye. You don't need the Elite.

I had a launch 360 and it lasted for 12 months, before Microsoft banned it (despite the fact that it wasn't modded or chipped)... I was going to live without it but, sad as it is, I couldn't, so I bought a Premium. It had disc-read errors after two months, so I sent it off to Microsoft and got sent a brand new 360 after two weeks, with a few goodies thrown in.

As for the better components, it doesn't matter too much quite frankly because you get a three year warranty with the 360s now anyway. So even if it does decide to throw a wobbly on you, you're covered, and you don't have to pay a penny for anything. Which is fantastic of Microsoft, really.

Cool, that is great to know, sorry for the noob question, but how can i check (or rather where should i check) on my TV for the VGA connection?

Have a look where all the other ports are (SCARTs etc.) - it looks like this...

1t-vga-cattx-rear.jpg

I don't have a VGA connection, but i do have a HDMI port (probably because my TV isn't full HD. Would the picture still look better with a HDMI port, but no VGA connection, in comparison to a LCD TV with neither a HDMI or VGA connection?

Yes, if you don't have a monitor or TV that accepts VGA then HDMI is your best option. You could get the official component cable (that comes with the Premium 360s) but the quality is not quite as sharp as VGA/HDMI - I can't go back to a component connection after VGA.

If I was in your situation I would either get a better TV ;) or an Elite 360. Or, put up with a slightly less sharp picture. But if you want it to be the best quality possible then VGA or HDMI is what you want.

Thanks for the help Jack, I am ready to put up with a slightly less sharp picture, anything is better than life without a 360! Although, I think my CPU monitor has a VGA connection and is 19" - maybe I should play my 360 on my monitor, because i am very sure that I won't be getting a next-gen console as well as a new HDTV...

It looks great on a monitor, so that would be a good idea - only thing is you'll be unplugging and swapping every time you want to use the PC... You can get splitter boxes but the ones I've tried have all made the quality a lot worse. But using the component cables (that come with the Premium 360) gives a good enough picture.

Have fun!

definitely 360 would be considered better in terms of games, especially right now, but id also make a choice based on what youre friends have, gaming systems are best played with friends

So JB and Dave are the only 2 guys around here who know enough about or have opinions about this topic? :rolleyes:

Probably not. They are however most likely 2 of the most 'helpful' around and that's why they've replied. :thumbup:

I'm in the same boat as 'dutty'.

Up until a few years ago, I was really into video-games and knew almost all I needed to. Can't say that is the case anymore. So I'm also heavily dependent on opinions, experiences and consulting from others in order to make a decision.

I don't know which to get as I've really been out of the whole 'Video-game' thing for awhileeeeeeeee now and as a result, know very little about each console now and what they will offer in future, etc. I'm in no rush to get one soon either so I have lot of time for research or talking about it. But sooner or later, I had to make a post like this to gather up some opinions from places like this, so I'm not just reliant on info/opinions of real life friends.

So JB and Dave are the only 2 guys around here who know enough about or have opinions about this topic? :rolleyes:

Probably not. They are however most likely 2 of the most 'helpful' around and that's why they've replied. :thumbup:

they are both as good as each other - only he can make that decision...

although, having said that, i would recommend the 360 too, due to the catalogue of great games already available for it...

the ps3 is still only a baby and is probably best left until next christmas...

Last edited:
Well since I made that post, I've spoken to 2-3 real life friends about this dillema, 4-5 online-friends through MSN and also did some research on my own to get to know different advantages and disadvantages that comes with both and reading other strangers' opinions on either system.

And at the moment, while my decision is far from final, I am leaning towards PS3. Especially now that it got a price-cut. (Although I don't think the Price cut in North America is here yet... but I heard it will be soon... correct me if I'm wrong please )

Main reason for this decision although not the only one, IS the reliability thing. Almost everyone I've spoken to or was reading reviews from, has had at least ONE bad experience with the x360 hardware.

Far less frequent problems for ps3 users it seems.

But anyway, I don't have my mind made up. I'm still open to be convinced either way. It's just that based on what I know now... I'm leaning for the moment at least, towards Sony's product rather than Microsoft's.

well sony has always been the ultimate gaming machine for me atleast because they have been in this hardware business so long so its easier to think that sony's hardware is alot more reliable then the xbox.

I've always been a sony person until I got my 360. imo Microsoft's gaming service feels more like a community due to Xbox Live being such a well made online structure. The 360 games catalogue also attracts me more. Only thing I'm missing out on from the PS3 is MGS4. But 1 game wont kill me.

I would say the 360, I have both and tbh the ps3 is shit, only good for playing dvds as the 360 sounds like a J edgar

Back
Top Bottom