What's your best move?

I

iriedog

I'm just curious what is everyones best move. By saying this I'm thinking along the lines of how do you score goals...but if you have a defensive or midfield move/strategy...I'd love to hear about it.

Lately I've been holding R2 to stop, have a defender charge, and then angle the D pand down and right for a right footed player and the opposite for a left...to kick the ball out in front of me and dash by my opponent. I frequently attack the wings and send in low crosses by double tapping circle. I've been trying to lay of the balls to my midfielders by from the wing (while moving back to the center) by pressing down then up on the right analog to send a bouncing ball they can smash a volley with...I know these kind of suck...but just been things I've been trying lately...anyone else been using a particular style lately or have a killer move....i.e. shot fakes, lobs.... My game has really been counter attack lately as I have been playing cup games with the U.S.

my conclusions and moves:

- the more I play the worse I play :).

- I'm growing increasingly frustrated on how old veteran d-pad players are "robbed" by this game: newcomers adapting to analog have advantage - players are more responsive, dribbling is much more eficient and overal play delivers much more options. Since veterans have a very dificult time adapting to analog I guess we're increasingly screwed.

- I realized recently that it's very efficient, when defending , that you quickly take control of the more defensive player and control his position while using square to have other player pressing the oposition. I used to this more arbitrarely but now by observing a regular human oponent I realized that this, done with method, is great. You avoid the usual removal of a defensive of your backline while having the precious help of your mids, who a lot of times retake the posession before it becames any danger at all.

- I never quite realized why but since the first PS1 version I'm very eficient in the air defending. It's very rare that I concede headers from open play or corners, I dunno but I seem to do it very well against worthy oponents and this hasn't changed from version to version. Talking about scoring from headers it's a whole different talk. Used to be an ace, today I'm crap at it.

PS - I miss the old felling we had in the early PS1 versions (ISS Pro evo 1 and 2) and the first PS2 versions: regular no-bullshit passing style players were able to play great football. Nowadays R2 and driibling is unfortunately increasingly important and that makes me a bit sad since it aproaches the game to arcade and less to vision. Vision used to be of more worth in WE and I have that feeling that it has been slowly disregarded...

untill one day... you have a new FIFA.

Last edited:
Mauras that defending with square thing is gold and anybody who doesn't do it can simply not be that good lol. Without this game would be impossible. All the time I change to a defender in front of the attacker but don't rush him myself as that would leave another attacker fully empty but I press square to get that winger or midfielder who wants to just WALK back press him while I hold position and keep close to their striker.

Before I knew this square thing like 5 months ago, it was just impossible to be that great of a defender because you only controller 1 person while defending but by knowing about square, you control a lot more and have you team-mates help you out which is great.

This thing of defending with square is still unclear to me. Can anyone please elaborate more on this? i might be doing it, but i don't know its real use!

You didn't understand me PLF. The square thing is old and I used it for ages. The diference is now I do it with a bit of method, always picking the more defensive player I can so the square effect is applied over the mids and not the defenders I need to keep a straight line. Nevertheless it's true that 2,3 versions back this wasn't much needed, you could defend very well with plain good usage of player selection + clever usage of X, specially because the backline behaved much more regularly. Now it's common to see the offside trap being screwed by a single guy who forgets to move or a defender going crazy and leaving his marked striker, the one who is exacly breaking for a thru ball at that moment.

Observer: let's say your oponent gains posession and you don't have that many players back and wish to press him. If you pull square another player than the one you are controlling will press the oposition. The difference is that if you do that with no caution the player pressing the oposition might come from the backline, what can be problematic. The best way is then to quickly select the most defensive player you can so when you are pressing square it is a mid who does the pressing.

Also if you use square + X not only an extra player presses the guy on the ball as also the player you are controlling goes for it, making it 2 vs 1. Must be also used with caution to avoid unbalancing the defense, specially against CPU who is keen on avoiding this kind of pressure.

It depends whether I'm playing the CPU or another human player. Against another human opposition, my best technique is to slide like crazy. It works really well and it allows me to intercept balls to regain possession. Since it's pretty hard to get red cards in WE/PES, I continue to do this without fear. :D

To go along with sliding, another useful technique for me is using the super cancel to anticipate where my opponent will pass or dribble the ball to. Nowadays, I find this very useful since I can sometimes steal the ball from near the penalty box and get an easy goal. The 2 buttons that I use the most probably are :r1: and :r2:. Also extremely useful when I send a :l1: + :triangle: to my striker and use the super cancel to interfere with the last defender.

I also use :square: often. Mainly to use 2 players or more to trap the opposing player.

Yep Mauras is defintely right.

That's why when you use Square while defending you need to watch out so nobody from in front of the player presses him if you're in your 1/3 because that'll leave someone else exposed. Rather you need to press square so a midfielder or a striker or someone who's BEHIND the opposing team's player with ball rushes back and presses him. If you don't do this then using square can be a very dangerous thing if you use it without any thought on who's pressing because it can leave huge holes in your defence.

And yes Mauras, I must have misunderstood you on that one.

take care

I do something like what Mauras does.
What I normally do is use SQUARE to press using another player while I control a defender manually to move him into postion for the tackle.
Basically, I'm using a CPU controlled player to push the opponent into a position where I can easily tackle him.
For example, if a striker is breaking into my half with the ball, I'll hold SQUARE to get a midfielder to pressure him from behind. If my midfielder is on the opposition player's left, he's obviously gonna have to move to the right to avoid him. But thats where I'll be waiting with the manually controlled defender to make the tackle.

It works really well and can only broken through if you were outnumbered so that the striker has enough options to pass his way out of the situation.

Thanks Mauras for this clarification.
I misunderstood also the above post. I use square a lot in defense, and I combine it with x also when necessary.

My best move is my counter-attacking, I can go from defending a corner to the oppostions goalmouth in a heartbeat. And once I've scored a goal they never come back as it just creates more opportunities for my count-attacking style.

I play 3-4-3 formation, with a sweeper and a right wing forward. Also I have a DMF sat in front of my back 3. The right WF is excellent for pulling central defenders out of place when I counter attack. My defenders are all on back arrows so they never venture forward and my DMF is probably my most important player as he controls everything. Here are some pictures:

Revan, try analog just for curiosity and you'll realize that:

- you'll find it much more harder to keep straight solid movement if you are used to d-pad (the main reason why d-pad veterans dificulty change to analog)

-you'll sadly realize that not only defensive agressivity but also player attacking movements are much more eficient, you are able to dribble much more just with sheer player movement, since the players are much more responsive with analog.

- you'll realize that deadballs (fk, corners, etc) behave differently and that the analog allows much more curving and swerve. This is also true on open play, try crossing a ball with 3xO with analog making it swerve back (away from the keeper) you'll see you are able to give much more efect to the ball.

This is all too sad and unfair from Konami, specially since the game developter himself confesses he uses d-pad. Why in the world must the game benefict analog users is beyond my understanding.

mattster12 said:
I play 3-4-3 formation, with a sweeper and a right wing forward. Also I have a DMF sat in front of my back 3. The right WF is excellent for pulling central defenders out of place when I counter attack. My defenders are all on back arrows so they never venture forward and my DMF is probably my most important player as he controls everything. Here are some pictures:

Great Lineup - Great Strategy
Some subs to consider: Scholes for Lampard and Joe Cole for Ashley

Thanks ;)

well scholes has retired :( and joe is very underated, so I prefer ashley cole for the pace and because he's more defend minded it helps me out when I'm defending. I'm ok on the right side cos I've got two, players and I use dyer to chase back when possible.

My Best move was using shevchenko dribbling pass 5 defenders in a 6 stars games using super cancel, sudden stops & side steps b4 i shoot pass the keeper. Using Analog instead of D-pad. I think D-pad can control the angle better.

Last edited:
idunno said:
My Best move was using shevchenko dribbling pass 5 defenders in a 6 stars games using super cancel, sudden stops & side steps b4 i shoot pass the keeper. Using Analog instead of D-pad. I think D-pad can control the angle better.

Any video on this?

idunno said:

This text is the perfect example of how WE is moving in the wrong direction. No matter how "good" the game looks every year the truth is that more and more it's becoming a dribbling freak show that beneficts players with agile and creative dribbling over players that bet on vision, passing and realistic TEAM play. Long gone are the days of ISS Pro Evo 1 and 2 when the good organizer and geometric passer with a fast eagle eye (and no stupid radar) would beat any circus dribbler.

unfortunately.

(not to mention the increasing diference between d-pad and analog, just ridiculous)

i totally agre with everything you said mauras..the truth is WE is going in a diferent direction than the past psx WE..
also mauras i tried to play wiht analog for about 2 months..at the begining i was very happy, i could drible and take FK , CK much better..but one thing made me go back to the old dpad... the shooting...its much more inacurrate the shooting with the analog..as i am basicaly a long shoot player, that made me loos a lot of matches...

also mauras..could you tell us your technic to hearder in this game(while crossing with 1xO)?? i am finding extremily dificult the heading system...the defenders almost aways get in front of the ball..i miss the gameplay of PSX WE ..that was great!! oh boy my old and beloved.. WE4 U-23(with olimpics teams)..heading was so great in that game..i remember..my best rival(my cousin) would aways play with Holland, and fucking kluivert was unstoppable!! man...good times!!

also i would say may best move , still the old and great 1-2...back in ps2 , it was better, but i could decently adpt for the ps2 method..just doesnt work so great as in psx..maybe this is for the good, as it was way too easy to do the 1-2 in psx...

Mauras said:
This text is the perfect example of how WE is moving in the wrong direction. No matter how "good" the game looks every year the truth is that more and more it's becoming a dribbling freak show that beneficts players with agile and creative dribbling over players that bet on vision, passing and realistic TEAM play. Long gone are the days of ISS Pro Evo 1 and 2 when the good organizer and geometric passer with a fast eagle eye (and no stupid radar) would beat any circus dribbler.

unfortunately.

(not to mention the increasing diference between d-pad and analog, just ridiculous)

I think we have here a circus boy. You must be kidding. We have no fault that your oponnents can dribble 4 or 5 players of your team. Just learn how to play the game and stop saying stupid things. Otherwise you will have to use your PSX again to give us a smile.

Notty said:
I think we have here a circus boy. You must be kidding. We have no fault that your oponnents can dribble 4 or 5 players of your team. Just learn how to play the game and stop saying stupid things. Otherwise you will have to use your PSX again to give us a smile.

i think you didnt understand our point...its not a question of skill here m8..
i can drible way to easly in nowdays WE...thats not cause i improve that much my skills, but becasue the game is more of a dribbling game, than the old WE psx..that was more of a tatical vision game..much more realistc in my opinion, dont get me wrong i do play as crazy we8le, but i must addmit at that time i would have much more fun with WE than now days..specciallfor the arcade gameplay WE is becoming..

question here, have you played WE psx?? if yes , you cant denied that the gameplay was focus in a diferent way more of a tatical game than a dribble game that we have nowdays..
maybe is the influence(bad in my opinion) of Konami Osaka(ISS series owner)

My best move would have to be the feint, i can use it to get past multiple players and sometimes add a roulette if the player is capable to easily drift past the defence and tap one in.

:circle: + :x: if you are in your own half
:square: + :x: if you are in the opponents half

The best method for scoring for me is the old 1-2 with L1+X followed by the :triangle: or the :x: depending on what i am trying to do.

I also use alot of :circle: :circle: :circle: near the box to send in a bullet cross on the ground for an easy tap in. It creates mayhem.

To create space and mismatches i use the given n go, which is pressing :r2: just after a pass, to make the passer take off running towards the goal. You can either pass back to him like a give n go, or run into his space

brunnoce said:
i think you didnt understand our point...its not a question of skill here m8..

Don't loose your time mate :).

If you check out the quality of his "analisys" you realize he is probably a pre-pub kid with not a single pub hair yet :).

About analog I share your views. Nevertheless I have a friend who used to take 6 and 7 in WE6FE when he started to play and now simply rulez, using analog, and gives me much trouble. He started using the game playing with analog, something I'm too old too adapt, having played WE over 11 years in a row now.

Mauras said:
Don't loose your time mate :).

If you check out the quality of his "analisys" you realize he is probably a pre-pub kid with not a single pub hair yet :).

About analog I share your views. Nevertheless I have a friend who used to take 6 and 7 in WE6FE when he started to play and now simply rulez, using analog, and gives me much trouble. He started using the game playing with analog, something I'm too old too adapt, having played WE over 11 years in a row now.

I started playing with the D-Pad in 2001 and have played with d-pad since Nintendo came out. But in Winning eleven seven I started messing around with the analog. I was horrible at first, but it kept my thumb from blistering. Now I can't even think about trying the d-pad. You're never too old to switch over and I think that you really get the most out of the game with analog.

Yeah, you´re right, one is never too old to adapt to a new style.

I did it about 1 year ago the other way around; I started out as an analog player and was then confessed by a D-Pad-fan. The biggest advantage of this switching was that I could use my PS1-pads - they are much more solid.

But when I now read your lines, I wonder if I´m able to convert again. My free-kicks were a lot better back in the days of analog, but I always blamed the game, not the control method.

I think I´ll give it a try.

Y17

I made the switch to analog sticks last year, thinking i would never settle. It took 2 days to get comfy and since then, my friends can't touch me. they usually quit at halftime.

To me, the best way to play is doing exactly what you expect every player to do. I won't defend with an extra man pressure is that extra man is happened to be Riquelme, I'll be more exposed but that's just the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom