1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

What the future of PES should be!

Discussion in 'Pro Evolution Soccer' started by H4RDY, 6 October 2008.

1. H4RDY

H4RDY ateyate

17 September 2004
    London, UK
    Arsenal
    Guys,

I am sure you are familiar with the infamous GTA series. Something, which many of you will not know is that this year, they used a new gameplay technology to create motion for characters on-the-fly. What this meant was that very little was keyframed, the majority of the animations were all 100% natural and created on-the-fly by the consoles processor. The technology is called Euphoria.

To see a demonstration of the technology see the links below, the first is from the developers website, and the other is a demonstration of an american football game using the Euphoria physics engine:

1. http://www.naturalmotion.com/euphoria.htm

2. http://www.backbreakergame.com/

The football game looks STUNNING! No other word for it. (check out the video section for more)

In my honest opinion, that should be the future of PES. On-the-fly generated motion, which would provide for an ever-changing and far more natural experience.

That is true next-gen.

Last edited: 6 October 2008
  2. winston

winston Champions League

7 August 2005
    Looks great, very natural movements. They say it was done on a next-gen console; I presume they mean PS3/Xbox360. I wonder how the processor would cope with 22 players on the pitch, as well as ref and linesmen.

But no doubt, some day we will be getting footy game that look that natural. I just hope they play as well as they look.

3. jeblo05

jeblo05 League 1

27 May 2003
    Tuebingen
    1. FC Koeln
    check the interview with EA Sports Vice President regarding Euphoria:

4. H4RDY

H4RDY ateyate

17 September 2004
    London, UK
    Arsenal
    Good shout jeblo05!

Based on that quote its fair to say it is not quite there yet as a technology that would benefit the sports genre. However, I believe it will be a matter of time before the engine is furthered to such heights that will indeed be scalable for use in a football game, with player specific attributes.

It is clear that the technology is relatively new, and as such will need time to be perfected in order for it to become more mainstream. Whether or not EA are doing the right thing by passing on the opportunity to buy them out now, we will find out.

But somehow I doubt Konami will ever win a bidding war with EA, if push ever comes to shove.

The day that animations are created on-the-fly is the day when a true next-gen experience can be had in this genre. Cometh the day.