What issues do you have with FIFA 10's gameplay? (World Cup game in mind)

At Gab,

For the shooting control they should look at older games. Agree the whole power/height is ridiculous.

What they should do, although ofcourse this would mean extra skill needed, is to have 3 seperate controls for shooting. Button for power, Up/down for left/right and front/back for height.

So having the powerbar full would have a lot of power but very little accuracy (dependent on player stats), holding Down/back would mean it goes towards the top left corner. Holding up/forward the bottom right corner. SWOS had this, and quite a few others. Im pretty sure ISS/PES had this at some point aswell.

At Gab,

For the shooting control they should look at older games. Agree the whole power/height is ridiculous.

What they should do, although ofcourse this would mean extra skill needed, is to have 3 seperate controls for shooting. Button for power, Up/down for left/right and front/back for height.

So having the powerbar full would have a lot of power but very little accuracy (dependent on player stats), holding Down/back would mean it goes towards the top left corner. Holding up/forward the bottom right corner. SWOS had this, and quite a few others. Im pretty sure ISS/PES had this at some point aswell.

Yeah that might be one way of solving it. The NHL games have that solution (forward = high, back = low and then fine tune with every angle in between) and it works pretty good. It does kind of feel weird though to aim at the wrong direction, but you do get used to it.

FIFA is pretty weird in how many different "types" of shot they have implemented. We have all these combos for different shots (new A settings):

RB + Shoot: Weak finesse shot
LT + RB + Shoot: Little harder finesse shot
Shoot only: Normal semi hard shot
LT + Shoot: Harder normal shot
RT (sprint) + Shoot: Hardest shot

and then lob shot with LB

Is this really necessary? I would rather see them free up a button and use for the "try low shot" kind of shot instead. Also I should point out that in Football Kingdom it is really to TRY to shoot low, it doesn't always go low. So if you shoot with your wrong foot or the ball is far ahead (body leaned back) you can't really keep it that low.

I think any of the systems (low button or aim back/forward) will work much better than the current one.

Good post, didn't realise they had that many combinations. I think it highlights one of the flaws with shooting, it's never intuative because it doesn't matter what position your player is in he can always try a certain type of shot from wherever with a button press. Really they should maybe do away with so many combinations and have it connected to bodyshape, location and player stats, although then we would get the complaint that it's all so scripted :D.

Looking at the list if could be easily fixed imo, get rid of the finesse shot, it's crap.
-RB+shoot: high shot with the powerbar deciding speed/accuracy
-shoot: midheight with powerbar deciding speed/accuracy
-LB+shoot: low shot with power.......etc
-double-tap shoot: chip shot

There, we're done!

Last edited:
I kind of agree but it's a tricky thing to give us intuitive but articulate controls. Countless games even today struggle to do so. Personally I'm happy with plenty of modifiers for shooting/passing etc, but I think each has to have it's own advantages/disadvantages. For example, one of the best little modifiers in PES/WE was the tap of R2 to add distance on a lobbed through ball. It was really subtle but made a world of difference for several of my attacks. Finding little things like that and the triple shot fake (shoot, then R1 before the connection, then X before the next connection to fake wide) were a real treat. The problem with FIFA is that it doesn't seem as though there is that depth of gameplay to explore or understand.

Yeah agree, maybe I simplified it too much, but in FIFA it's mostly hold button, press shoot and you're done. PES had far more to do with timing imo.

#1. Most important issue for me by a mile: Inertia of defenders coupled with the unwillingness of defenders to mark attackers tightly in the box. Yesterday I had a game winning goal against me while playing my brother that made me never want to touch the game again: with Del Piero roaming the box around the 8 yard box, my bro simply passed it in to him, as Vidic guarded him from the touchline and in addition playing the angle away from goal rather than guarding towards the goal, which lead to a simple goal. So the inability of defenders to play tight coupled with the players inability to recover once you get control due to inertia is an absolute killer combination.

#2. Player individuality: You can definitely tell the difference between players, at least at the top level, a lot more in this iteration than 09, but there's a lot more to do. The number one way to do this would be through adding traits a la pro evo, special things that only certain players can do that effect tendencies, not just how good a player is at doing something which is all that attributes do. They should also
-increase the variance in players' touch (first touch is far too good for bad players), this includes when running with the ball
-increase variance in pass accuracy and pace based on attributes
-increase 'scuffed' passes on long passes/crosses for lower quality players, ie passes that go far from the intended target
- Players shouldn't be guaranteed the ability to do a move solely based on dribbling stars, ie players shouldnt be able to do the elastic 100% of the time just because you do the button combo correct! Stepovers should be considerably slower and less effective from players lacking dribbling skills.
-Free kicks - everyone is too effective, you should feel a big difference when using a better kick taker.

#3 Headers, not powerful enough, players don't attack the ball the way they should enough. On the defensive end, clearances from headers should be able to go further and more than one player should be able to go for the header.

#4. Shielding the ball- Players should be better at holding off defenders when on the ball. It'd be nice if you could use a button to do this, like how when you press RT when stopped they hold off a defender.

#5 Players using correct foot - Players don't make enough of an effort to shoot with the correct foot. One thing that is almost non-existent in the game is the ability of strikers to open up their body and shoot with their correct.. It's in pro evo, they do it in real life, put it in FIFA!

#6 Keepers - Always felt that games never have really got the essence of some of the things that separate good keepers from bad keepers, and the differences boil down only to how fast they react, how far they dive for saves etc. Differences should also be based on positioning and judgment as far as when to come out to punch a cross/ corner, aggressiveness in 1v1s, and consistency in making the 'easy' plays- you never see a keeper spill a low bouncing shot, which definitely happens from time to time in real life.

I'm sure there's more.. but that's all I can think of for now :)

I would like to add a few more things...

I'll start with dribbling. Players should dribble with their favorite foot and not with both.

Example:http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/14255727

(Fucile, right footed)

--------

Passing without face teammate it's really easy and turns the game ugly, imo.

Example: http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/14255606

--------

We need more and better cross animations. Not these ones:

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/14255858

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/14256299

The first one looks like a shot.

--------

Better lob animations. EA, take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e5E85N2EcQ

--------

There should be two types of long passes.

This should be the standard one and those long curved passes when we press the finesse button.

--------

There should be an option to choose the players we want in corners and free kicks.

And there should be a lot of more things but i can't remember now...:P

These are ESSENTIAL

•**Make the pitch bigger or make available various sizes
•**the players should move slower
•**make stamina effects much more obvious
•**improve the framerate on the pro cam
•**improve all the cams. Make them more dynamic when playing online.
•**Give back online tactics sliders. Make available more individual instructions for each player ala football manager. Also you take a look at the match engine on football manager (pitch size time wasting and other features)
•**Generally concentrate improving online team play experience (remove the marks for players positioning and the names above players names because all this information are confusing. At least make them optional). Also the stamina factor should have more effects because people run all the time without any obvious reason. When running in full speed they should have less control when on-ball and when off-ball they should tackle less effectively only anticipate better when are on the same orbit of the ball.
•**Improve the usability of the cameras and make new ones available

I am one of the few it seems that liked certain parts of what FIFA 08 was trying to do...have u tried fifa 08 with all manual control...granted i was really good at it ranked 44(all manual) but when u played with manual control u could strike passes with more accuracy and even do through balls with pass button...and the game engine that they scrapped in favour of fifa arcade 09,10 had some things that was good. like when passing manual passes u had to pass before the ball came to your player and was constantly under preassure if u were a bad team going against a good side u had to think in advance....didnt fifa 09 feel like a dumbed down kids version of 08..granted it had some good points physics etc....But now with a little distance although 08 is slow and old now...couldnt the series had developed in a different more realistic path was it all bad in retrospect.

I mean now with fifa 11 they are bringing back more difficult passes and having to think one step further when passing and being under preassure making the game harder overall.. what do u all think?

Back
Top Bottom