What issues do you have with FIFA 10's gameplay? (World Cup game in mind)

They really have to remove the one player lock to the ball. This is very important but people don't seem to understand this. PES does NOT have this limit and this is why in PES anything can happen. If I am close to the ball I have to be able to attack the ball even if another player has locked on to the ball.

For example on a corner if I use "Cancel" to break free from the rails to attack the ball - I will automatically "give up" my lock on the ball and my closest team mate will now lock on to the ball instead. Meaning I can not try to head the ball just because of the scripted limit.

This is why in FIFA you will only see one player from each team try to head the ball. This is not how it works in real life (or in PES). I wrote about it before but I tried PES 2010 and on a corner I jumped and two of their defenders. I won the header but I headed the ball in the second defenders head, making the ball deflect wide. That defender could jump even if he could never reach the ball and that is what is so great still about PES (one could argue that is the ONLY thing good in PES).

This player lock limit is the number one problem with FIFA. This is also why sometimes you try to pass to someone and another player locks on even if he is farther away from the ball. In PES both players can lock on and then when the game realise it should drop the lock (auto run) on one player it does.

I don't think they will ever fix this though. I am pretty much alone in crying about it. Oh and Rob knows what I am talking about. That's about it, so yeah they will never fix this.

Edit: Oh yeah one simple thing they need to fix: If I play on World Class, for the love of God set my AI team mates to World Class too and not only the opposition! It is set correctly in BAP:S but in single player (when you control all the players that is) your team mates are still set to semi-pro AI. This is why they don't cover space and play completely retarded off the ball. Someone mentioned bad defenders and this is mainly because of the semi-pro settings, because your opposition always have a better defensive line (unless you actually play on low difficulty, then both teams have retarded defenders).

Last edited:
Friggin' casuals and their sense of self-entitlement for features aimed at dumbing down the gameplay. You're the cancer killing gaming ever since it's gone mainstream.

Lemme guess, was SWOS too hard for you as well? Kick Off 2? GOAL!? Thought so.

Absolutely. This is all definitely true. After all it's impossible to argue a case for assisted controls unless you are a casual gamer who uses assisted controls.

Your posts would be funny if they were meant to be ironic sideswipes at people who think that throwing money at things makes them well informed on the matter. As it is, with every post you make, a unicorn dies forever.

I would argue at any greater length with you, but this is meant to be a useful thread full of informative discussion and insightful comments for EA to work from, and in that respect you have been woefully off-topic.

Last edited:
They really have to remove the one player lock to the ball. This is very important but people don't seem to understand this. PES does NOT have this limit and this is why in PES anything can happen. If I am close to the ball I have to be able to attack the ball even if another player has locked on to the ball.

For example on a corner if I use "Cancel" to break free from the rails to attack the ball - I will automatically "give up" my lock on the ball and my closest team mate will now lock on to the ball instead. Meaning I can not try to head the ball just because of the scripted limit.

This is why in FIFA you will only see one player from each team try to head the ball. This is not how it works in real life (or in PES). I wrote about it before but I tried PES 2010 and on a corner I jumped and two of their defenders. I won the header but I headed the ball in the second defenders head, making the ball deflect wide. That defender could jump even if he could never reach the ball and that is what is so great still about PES (one could argue that is the ONLY thing good in PES).

This player lock limit is the number one problem with FIFA. This is also why sometimes you try to pass to someone and another player locks on even if he is farther away from the ball. In PES both players can lock on and then when the game realise it should drop the lock (auto run) on one player it does.

I don't think they will ever fix this though. I am pretty much alone in crying about it. Oh and Rob knows what I am talking about. That's about it, so yeah they will never fix this.
I know what you mean, mate. Totally agree with this. Its extremely annoying when you attack or defend corners when you're not one of the two players who are about to jostle for the ball.

I agree with this. It's such a small thing that could considerably change the way Fifa plays for the better.

Definitely. Gab, you aren't alone at all - I've seen it mentioned hundreds of times (and it's in my list!), and it is a massive problem.

The key thing EA have to do, Chris, is make sure they've fixed stuff for good. None of this "We've made 250 improvements". There's no point if you need to improve the same 250 things again. Make sure that whatever you fixed, will stay fixed for a good few years, so you can focus on improving other areas the following year. Make sure you know exactly what the best solution is too - none of this fixing the long ball over the top by forcing defenders to stand five yards off the striker at all times. Measure twice, cut once.

Have not played the game for a while but from memory these things need addressing:

Crap AI... team mate, goal keeper & cheating opposition
Player switching
Manual passing does not work right
Manual shooting does not work right
Stupid ball physics on crosses & free kicks
Players are too heavy with too much inertia
Half star teams play like Barcelona on highest difficulty
INDIVIDUALISM... teams and players
Ridiculous physicality, this is football not american football
constant pressure
constant pressuring without paying the penalty of fatigue(cpu & online)

Theres more I am sure of it...

Last edited:
^
Agreed. The curl on crosses and corners is ridiculously exaggerated.

The ball physics in Fifa are so inconsistent that it makes me wonder if different physics engines are in play depending on whether I'm passing, shooting, crossing etc. Sometimes I'm blown away by how realistically the ball moves and then I put in a cross and the ball ends up curling back to the halfway line.:CONFUSE:

yep agree agree.. And they better fix the player try to header the ball but not even jumping, while their opponent raising behind them.. and the player switching too. sometimes I feel my control is very restricted on the player,like a few short seconds, you are unable to move the player on any other direction. and the freaking super cancel takes so long to execute.

Lots of good points on here, I'm going to try 5 that I think are very easy, but would make a massive difference. I realise things like the player lock, defensive AI and what not will take ages to implement, hopefully these would just involve tweaking the existing engine:

1. As loads have said, have stamina go down reflecting sprint, in both short term and long term. What I mean by this is that the stamina bar does two things - it goes down while you're holding sprint, and the length of it decreases over the match. The reduction speed should go up both in terms of while holding and how cumulative sprinting reduces the length of the bar. Should be a dead easy thing to change. Then when you're out of 'stamina' you can't sprint. Simple.

2. Goalkeepers' reactions need to be reduced by a large fraction. Keepers are just unrealistic in FIFA, at every level, they get to ground, spread themselves and dive to save shots that are unsaveable. It's so frustrating.

3. If you make the keepers more realistic, you also have to do the same to shooting. Shots should, by default, be reasonably rubbish unless the player is awesome or they're in acres of space. I'm not convinced FIFA actually uses player ratings in the shooting engine, but if they do it needs to be tweaked.

4. Again, I'm not convinced FIFA uses stats in passing, first touch and shooting, but if they do, then the sensitivity just needs to get massively increased. Someone with technique of 50 should not be the same as a player with technique of 90, except with less skill moves. Their touch should be rubbish.

5. Increase the pitch size/decrease the player size. Again, this will need some kind of counter measure, because FIFA relies on players falling all over themselves in midfield to prevent cricket scores. Perhaps reducing pace so that players can get in more space, but not necessarily use that to just outrun others.

To all the things listed above I would add the following:

- There's always a hole in midfield. Everytime you cross or shoot you leave your team completely open for a counter. That's because of mainly three things:

1) bad positioning. defenders never mark attackers in midfield, they're 10 meters away, so it's easy to play the ball to the lonely striker to start a dangerous counter. Midfielders never seem to control midfield when you loose the ball, doesn't matter which team you are and which tactics do you use, it's just broken.

2) bad awareness (defenders always react in group going to attack when they recover the ball while attackers are still running with inertia to the goal)

3) the fact that clearing the ball is bloody easy. Either a scripted punt that tends to go too many times to the feet of someone or because it's so easy to play the ball and pass to get out of dangerous situations. That's linked with my final point.

- Skill is not that importnat in the game. Strength is overdone and pace is crucial sometimes. So there's no situation in which skill makes you win the game, really. A strong player will always succesfully tackle even if he's not in a good deffensive situation. It should be able to shield the ball without pressing any button, simply by turning. You can't do in the game what Xavi and Iniesta do in the field, simply because they get shoved again and again by someone charging like a train.

Skill should be vital in trapping the ball, in running with the ball (all players can run with the ball at the same skill level, I can't see players miscarrying the ball or loosing it simply by poor skill) and retaining possession in difficult situations.

Skill only plays a prt now in the game if your player is Strong or Fast paced BESIDES being skilled. Right now there's no reason why you would pick Xavi before Lass Diarra, for example, because almost all players can pass the ball well and Xavi offers nothing different to average players.

Sorry, this is not strictly a gameplay issue but please EA, let us save replays to the our Hard Disks. And let us view the highlights after the game and upload then. It's in other EA games like Madden. Fans have been asking for this very simple feature for years, yet we are still waiting. EA say they listen to the fanbase but this and many other simple requests go unanswered year on year.

- Copy the weaker foot strength/frequency from PES, currently every player in FIFA is two footed, their weaker foot stats mean nothing.

In PES when I have the ball with a predominately right footed player (in the left side of the box), the player will automatically open up his body and shoot with their right foot. In FIFA the same player in the same spot on the pitch will comfortably shoot with their left foot.

The Rooney goal in the Gamescom trailer isn't the same scenario as the one I've described but its still a silly goal because he'll never do such an outlandish thing in real life.

Also my VP is right footed yet a lot of the passes I play are with his left foot, its annoying.

- Increased player individuality, more signature motions (FKs etc)

- Make the technical ability of the players stand out more.

- The dribbling has been improved in 10 but players still take too long to turn in a lot of situations.

- Fix the AI, especially the defensive AI. Defensively 09 and 10 are the worst football games I've played, its embarrassing how bad it is. Also what happened to the player urgency that was in the Gamescom trailer?

- Stop the goalkeepers from storming of their lines like headless chickens begging to be lobbed. Also fix the double tap :triangle: option, it doesn't work in 10.

- Improve the tactical side of the game, it doesn't have enough of an influence IMO and their aren't enough options also.

- Bigger pitches where appropriate.

- Get rid of the button lag and response time issues - players taking a touch when you tell them to take a first time shot etc.

- Generic (think cheesers online) balls played over the top are too easy, the ball conveniently hangs in the air in an unrealistic fashion.

- When I tap :circle: three times, its a lottery as to whether the player I'm controlling will actually do as he's been told and put a low cross into the box. Sometimes they will, most of the time they won't.

- Get rid of the boosts that you give people the option of buying, its not a level playing field online.

Less curl on the crosses and more intuïtive dribbling.
I'm still learning to master the game (assisted controls, manual was a nightmare for me), so maybe i'm not the right person to complain, but IMHO (very humble in this instance) the dribbling is far too difficult. It's too easy in PES, but EA exagerate in FIFA10.

Perhaps i will be the only one who thinks so.

Oh and yes, gamesliders are a good idea. I'm a casual gamer, with two kids and a busy professional life i can't spend hours on a game. Thanks to the sliders i can enjoy myself with NBA2K10. I was very motivated to learn to master FIFA10 (still think it's fantastic gameplaywise), but i simply haven't got the time to master it. With sliders it is possible to reach a certain level.

PS: uptil now i haven't played online...i'm too emabarassed...i pretty sure it will not be fun for the people who would play against me

-Don't know if it's been mentioned, but make chipshots far more harder, something like a 5% succesrate for top rated players with it going down the less rated a player is. And make the animations different. It's bad enough having the AI chip you at every opportunity but even worse when they do this bloody; "stand still, kick ball" animation shite. It should either be a lob animation from far (longpass) or a dink from close which is a slightly shorter normal shooting animation (so instead of the shooting leg going to a 90degree angle it should go to 70ish).

And add some "scripting" that only when 3-0+ up do AI players even attempts chips!

-Mentioned this in the normal thread a while ago, but atm the goalie sprinting seems to be on a straight diagonal line; i.e. if the attacker gets to a certain point the goalie starts moving out at one speed. It should be that when an attacker reaches a certain point the goalie will slowly move out of his goal with an upward curved accerlation meaning the striker ends up in either a position where the goalie can cover a chip attempt or the goalie is sprinting out so fast from a distance where there is no time to chip. Unless you wait and then you could do a little dink with the goalie diving for your feet. Although the goalie speed isn't an issue if you adress the chips.

Either way, the current chip animations / goals should be binned!

I completely agree with what everyone just said...just one more thing I think taking shots in FIFA is too accurate...sometime your being pressure by 2 players and still get the shot on target...or sometime you are completely off balance and still get the shot on target...

and you cant get a shot on target when you on a 90 degree angle to the goal...while in most case player shoot some curled strike on a 90 degree angle...but you simply cant on fifa 10

I personally don't think theirs much wrong with the dribbling. I think its got great depth to it right now and it shouldn't get "easier" otherwise everyone will be beating players for fun.

One thing I forgot and that really annoyed me is the menu structure, Why do I have to go back to the top menu after an exhibition game to play with different teams?

With dribbling I agree with the guy saying its got alot of depth but it really should be easier, not pes easy but easier. The time I spent with the game there were a few occasions where in tight situations I pulled off some awesome dribbles to get away from opposition and into space, but they were few and far between because it is very hard to do.

I personally don't think theirs much wrong with the dribbling. I think its got great depth to it right now and it shouldn't get "easier" otherwise everyone will be beating players for fun.
It should be "there's", I don't want to give an English lesson but you seem to make that mistake a lot ;).

I agree about the dribbling to a certain extent, I think the defending is the problem, making the dribbling seem crap. The tricks are a bit exaggerated though, you hardly ever see players in real life do tricks like the rainbow flick or hocus pocus in matches yet you can pull them off with a 100% success rate after some practice.

The "pressure" button needs to go and be replaced by a "tackle" command, i.e. when you press the A/X button, your player does the tackle animation rather than run up to the opponent and automatically make perfectly timed challenges.

The biggest gameplay problems in FIFA 10 for me are:
  • Assisted control having inch-perfect accuracy.
  • Pressuring being too effective, due to the nature of the tackling system, the ineffectiveness of realistic defending (standing off people, blocking passes) and the lack of consequences for sprinting all the time.
  • All players playing similarly, with the only noticeable variation between them coming from height and speed, strength, shot power and skill move rating. Every player's first touch is immaculate, be it with their foot, shin, chest or head
  • The "lock-on" for aerial challenges and stuff, as explained by Gab.
  • The keepers having superhuman reactions and making too many "wondersaves" where they tip the ball over at full stretch. Of course with how assisted controls are you would get rugby scores without the keepers being too good. Balancing the rest of the game would mean the keepers could be more realistic while believable scorelines are maintained.
  • Shooting being flawed, you can generally only get reasonable shots when moving and facing the goal (seen just one goal which is an exception to this) when you should be able to hit powerful shots much more often from various angles.
  • AI, it's just rubbish in general... be it for teammates, opposition or goalkeepers - their defensive and attacking positioning, behaiviour and everything is just wrong, needs a complete overhaul imo.

It doesn't matter which foot your player is, they always perform tricks with their right foot. Could EA not mirror the mocap so that left footed players do a rabona with their left foot rather than their right?!?

Fundamentally it's far too easy to pull off the magnificent. It doesn't feel like an achievement to beat a player with an elastico, or hit a shot well on the volley (just look at how many of those 'lob over the top and hit a dipping volley over the keeper' goals there are in the video thread). In fact, I can't think of any goals I have seen people upload which I am envious of.

Free kicks?
http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/9113553
http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/9171134
http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/9154902
http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/13885671
Exploits.

Long shots?
http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/9268035
http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/12417334
http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/12895301

Don't look real or like an accomplishment.

Beating the keeper with a trick?
http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/9168384
That's the only way you CAN take the keeper on. It's genuinely easier to beat the keeper like that than like this (yes I know it's mine, but that's not the point!!):
http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/9703654

Backheels?
http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/12113330
Yawn. I'm actually more impressed by headers, because it's hard to get your head on a cross, let alone connect well.

Last edited:
For me, goalkeepers.

Overall, they are quite realistically hard. But sometimes they do saves that are not nearly realistic.

Firstly, they can move limbs at incredibly superhuman speeds (for example when putting their hands in front of their face to parry a close range shot). I've seen goalkeepers move an arm from next to their body up to their face in the time it took a blasting shot to travel from 3m infront of them, to their face.

Also, scale back their jump distance by 15-20%, since they can have ridiculous reach, palming away fast shots that go 1 meter outside the post, when jumping from an absolute STANDSTILL in the middle of the goal.
It's just not funny when they save stuff they shouldn't. Just scale them back in all areas slightly (reach, reactions), and make them not react at all alot more, since they now react to stuff where a normal human would barely be able to compute what is going on, much less move their muscles properly and make a jump for it. Design them like they actually are a human, mainly by worsening the reaction times, and correcting the ridiculous reach they sometimes have.

It should be "there's", I don't want to give an English lesson but you seem to make that mistake a lot ;).
[/LIST]

:COAT: Its a bad habit I guess, always had trouble with They're, There and Their.

Agree with all your points though mate, I doubt we'll see any major changes though till the next generation of consoles.

Make freekicks harder. It's amazing how poor they are at balancing the game tbh, 08/09 I scored maybe one or two after a year of playing, yet in 10 I can score about 80%!

Really happy to see more people noticing the lock limit problem, bless you all fellow football lovers.

I'm going to add some random things that annoys me that might have been added already by other people.

* Please look over placement of players in corners and freekicks.
I'm pretty sure that every team in real life put one player at each post when they defend corners. In FIFA only one post is covered. Also I think you usually put people that are weak on headers there so don't place tall strong players in those positions.

* Shots and headers are still too weak.
I'm not saying that every shot or header should be hard, but the maximum possible speed must be increased to reflect the speed in real life.

* "Calculate" each touch by the player (while sprinting)
There is something in real life that really makes a difference in individuality and that is the control of the ball while moving fast. CRonaldo is probably one of the best at this in full speed. He is very quick but each touch is still good so he can keep running in an almost constant speed and direction.
But most other mortal players can not do this. You might have someone in division 2 that is REALLY fast, but he cannot have the ball close to his feet at top speed and some touches are too short, too long, a little to the side and so on.

In FIFA everyone has the same touch and this becomes a problem when they are rating lower league teams. Because even if a certain player is really quick in real life, the developers have to make sure he is slow in the game. Otherwise he would pretty much be as good as CRonaldo in FIFA.

To me, the solution is bringing in an attribute that says how good a players touch is while sprinting so you get random quality in the touches. Because if he makes a bad touch that is to short, he have to kind of stumble/slow down to keep the ball under control. You often see this when lower league players run around with the ball.

* Skill tricks always available (introduce realistic fail rate)
Personally I find it very annoying that if you try a skill trick and the player can't do it, he will just run straight forward and nothing happens. Why not let everyone be able to TRY to do a trick? But if I for some reason try to do a flip flap with Olof Mellberg I will probably fail (lose control of the ball in the middle of it) 99% of the time.

Now that I think about it I actually think they have implemented this behaviour for ONE trick, and that is the roulette (spin) trick. If you do it with a less skilled player there is a big chance you will lose the ball in the middle of it. I think this should be implemented for all tricks. Because just like in real life, a less skilled player CAN pull it of if he is lucky enough.

I just hate it when nothing happens and you run straight in to the opponent, looks stupid. Also, this system will take away the 100% success rate of tricks like we have now.

* More different shot types (basically top spin shots)
Shooting is still too floaty to me. It's not so much a problem that the shots can be like they are now, it's the problem that they always feel the same. I pretty much never pull of shots with top spin on them.

Also a lower league player might be able to shoot as hard as a world class player, but his ACCURACY (fail rate/miss-hit rate) is what makes him worse than the top level player in this regard. So please stop making everyone in lower league shoot like girls (no offence women).

Oh and this brings me in to another issue I have with the shooting system. Why can we only tap the button for a millisecond to hit the target? Or should I say, to not shoot up in the sky. I really don't see the point in this system. It's like saying that in real life, if you shoot as hard as you possible can, the ball will go up in the sky. I would argue that the ball will end up WIDE (sometimes even in low speed because you miss hit the ball so much) almost as often as going over the bar.

I really think FIFA takes away some of the satisfaction of really going for a hard shot. I want to see that bar fill up and press down the shoot button (with rage) and really feel that I give the input of a hard shot.

I know people think Football Kingdom is over hyped. But I really like their system. You can fill up the meter completely, but it doesn't always go over the bar, it also goes to the sides and just about all over the place. But it can also hit the target, it is not scripted to miss the goal. And also they have something I really like, and that is that you hold down a shoulder button to force the player to try to shoot a low shot. So you can hold down that button and fill up the bar to make a hard low driven shot. If you do max it out you have a bigger chance of miss-hitting the ball, so it doesn't go where you aim and also can get weak and so on. I really like that system, you can really load up and feel the power you give with the controller and see it reflected in the game.

That's it for now.

Thanks Chris for doing your part of making FIFA a more realistic and fun experience :WORSHIP:

Good points there Gab. I agree entirely, particularly the shooting suggestions. I want to see better headed and volleyed shots, as too often the player seems to want to take a first touch rather than hit the ball first time.

I agree and defense should be more intelligent on putting striker off-side...and Push up when the ball is up field or just got cleared...

Hi Gab, I also talked in my post about players running with the ball depending on its skill, and this is truly what would make the big jump in this game: skill. In every touch. Skill of the player + your skill on the pad.

And by the way, I'd love to have some sort of button to improve trapping of the ball and have BIG differences between skilled players and non-skilled players. Trapping an incoming ball is something that in real life makes the difference between average and star players.

In barcelona Bojan is having great difficulties for many reasons, one being it's horrible trapping skills. When you want to play quick passing you must have impressive first touch, impressive vision and trapping skills. Right now that's almost ignored in the game and you would hardly dribble an incoming defender by simply making a subtle touch when trapping the ball.

Back
Top Bottom