What issues do you have with FIFA 10's gameplay? (World Cup game in mind)

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
Sorry for making a seperate thread for this, but I think it'll help. Someone at EA who cares about FIFA and the community has said to me that if I can put together a list of the things that annoy people about FIFA 10 - but GAMEPLAY ONLY stuff for now - then it will help the next game come together.

If EA make a World Cup game next year (let's face it, they always make World Cup games), what would you like to see fixed, tweaked or somehow changed from FIFA 10?

Again, this thread is for gameplay improvements only. We really want to put together a list of key issues. Bear in mind that although detailed lists are appreciated, I don't think essays will help when there's a number of things I want to pass on. Keeping things as concise as possible, but keeping the key details that explain the problem, will help a lot.

Examples...

Personally, I think the AI needs a major tweak. Your strikers tend to run straight towards the opposition defenders all the time and never hang back to receive a pass, and your defenders will turn away from opposition strikers to give them a chance to score (which didn't happen in the same way in FIFA 09, it felt much more solid).

Also, I think team tactics make too much of a difference. Yes we want them to make a difference, but currently they almost change the quality of a team - give a poor team Arsenal's tactics and they can play exactly like Arsenal do, they can suddenly pass quickly, 100% accurately and really tear into you.

Thanks guys.

fatigue has to become more effective. Players have to be punished for non stop pressure.

EA should look at the Fatigue systems in NBA Live 10 and NBA 2K10.

Sorry for making a seperate thread for this, but I think it'll help. Someone at EA who cares about FIFA and the community has said to me that if I can put together a list of the things that annoy people about FIFA 10 - but GAMEPLAY ONLY stuff for now - then it will help the next game come together.

If EA make a World Cup game next year (let's face it, they always make World Cup games), what would you like to see fixed, tweaked or somehow changed from FIFA 10?

Again, this thread is for gameplay improvements only. We really want to put together a list of key issues. Bear in mind that although detailed lists are appreciated, I don't think essays will help when there's a number of things I want to pass on. Keeping things as concise as possible, but keeping the key details that explain the problem, will help a lot.

Examples...

Personally, I think the AI needs a major tweak. Your strikers tend to run straight towards the opposition defenders all the time and never hang back to receive a pass, and your defenders will turn away from opposition strikers to give them a chance to score (which didn't happen in the same way in FIFA 09, it felt much more solid).

Also, I think team tactics make too much of a difference. Yes we want them to make a difference, but currently they almost change the quality of a team - give a poor team Arsenal's tactics and they can play exactly like Arsenal do, they can suddenly pass quickly, 100% accurately and really tear into you.

Thanks guys.

There is such little depth to this game its going to take a long time to really sort this game out.

Realistically here’s what I would want for world cup 2010 game:

Sorting out the defense so they don't push up so much all time. Making defenders more alive and organized so it's harder for players to score. Sorting out the defense is the most important factor for me.

Also making sure assisted passing is not so perfect with every player. Sorting out the very basic and terribly optimized strength and physicality system. Lastly make player attributes mean more so Centre backs and players with average technique should really turn like buses like they do in PES.

Last edited:
A slider option for AI difficulty that I seem to recall someone mention, so rather than just setting overall AI difficulty to easy-hard, you can set attack to hard and midfield to average, goalies to easy, etc. That way, you fine tune the gameplay experience.

Problem with World Class is you need to use it to make sure the AI teams actually shoot, but it's a pisser watching evey team play 100% pixel perfect passes all the time and every AI defender win 100% every tackle it goes in for.

- More player individuality. As today, only speed and physics stand out as important. I would like players like Xavi to be more important and dictate the play.

- More importance to cover passing lanes and less physical play. Standing tackles is the only way to steal the ball in FIFA today. I want the game to be more awarding for realistic defence as covering passing lanes for example.

- I don't think that the tactics are too drastic. I think it's great that teams play really different depending on tactical changes. It's just that they are not equally awarding. There should be a downside to every extreme tactic (read high pressure and aggression)

- More diagonal runs and more player shifting positions.

- Bigger pitch / smaller players. This would make the game more tactical, more varied and make central midfield players more important. I want more than counter-attacking and speedy wingers.

Last edited:
i want my player not to stop suddenly when switching player, you know what i mean? when i'm controlling the midfield player and suddenly i switch to the defender who is running, he would stop still and take awhile to run again. that's bullsht

Chris,

as you know I sent you a massive e-mail with what I thought was the problem from my first couple of weeks with the game. I'll just reiterate the key points (edit: this turns out to be bullshit).

The absolute most important one first:

-Passing has no inaccuracy based on the player passing the ball or the way the ball comes to the player (a fast/bobbling pass or an 80 yard long ball can be hit just as accurately as if the ball is stationary). The same is true of first touches; hoof the ball to your keeper, something hard to control IRL, and see how he gets on with a first time pass or with his ball control. Weaker and stronger footedness seems to mean nothing as well.

Players like Scholes, Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas etc are all so highly praised because, among other things, their first time passes are so clinically accurate.

I don't mind if passes directly forward are accurate for most players, but the further to the side you pass (especially for passes behind you!!!), the more the player's vision and passing accuracy should count.

First touches are currently immaculate as well. So an Accrington player is just as capable of receiving a long ball hoofed at him as he is at receiving a 5 yard gentle layoff. He's also perfectly gifted at turning with his first touch, so that if he chooses not to hit a heat seeking first time pass 30 yards almost directly backwards, he can control the long ball with a first touch at 170 degrees to where he's facing as if he's Dennis Bergkamp and run off in that direction without the move losing a split second of ping pong momentum. Even good Premier League players often have to control the ball before then turning with the ball.

It is often a miscontrolled pass, whether it rolls under the foot, or bounces up off the foot rather than goes exactly where it is supposed to, that leads to great goals. An accidental flick up of the foot can lead to a crisp volley; an overhit touch can actually beat a player or end up as a great pass. Because everything is 100% guaranteed in FIFA up to the shot, nothing is interesting or unpredictable, which is exactly what football at it's dramatic best is steeped in - some level of uncertainty.

This is why you have that issue with custom tactics - Arsenal's tactics work for Accrington Stanley because they are just as well tooled up to use that style of play.

EA will know they've got it right when they consciously decide against hitting a long pass along the ground with Lucas and instead choose to pass it short to Aquilani for him to try.

---

-The ball physics is only correct in a select few situations. It's as if EA are just adding top spin to certain balls to make the ball look like it's correctly weighted, rather than making sure the ball is the right weight in the first place and letting everything else fall into place. I'm just not impressed by long range FIFA goals anymore, manual or not, because they all look identical, and none look real. Similarly, because a lot of crosses don't dip properly, they don't find attacking heads as much (well, unless you're the CPU!).

The floaty ball physics is a big part of why long shots would fly in before. Because the ball doesn't dip, it soars in such a way that it is far more likely to lob the keeper and be just low enough to go in. If the ball had more dip it would have to go higher to beat the keeper from range, which would give him time to get back or make the ball less likely to come down enough to score. This, plus making 100% powered shots more likely to be sliced or hooked off to the side, would eliminate the guaranteed goal form 50 yards IMO.

It would also stop this sort of goal which is an excellent (if rather rare) example of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp4KLUcRopc

Get the ballistics right, make us feel like we're kicking a real ball, and we'll feel like we've scored a real goal.

---

- FREE KICKS ARE EXPLOITS!! WHERE'S THE SKILL IN SCORING?!? Over the wall, round the wall, under the wall, all extremely easy with any player who has one foot to stand on and the other to deliver the absurdly sweet strike.

-Players who aren't under our control should still get involved in tackling/heading etc, like PES. None of this one-on-one business.

-Supercancel should allow us to deselect the player we are currently forced to control.

-Stepping over the ball with R1 needs to be for all passes, a la PES, not just when you are standing still as currently in FIFA. Also, Pressing R1 and the direction of the ball's movement should let you run on without taking a touch, also a la PES.

-Defensive AI should be improved significantly, with physicality dropping down a notch or two.

Players who are small have a lower centre of gravity, hence why you can't just push Messi off the ball. Dropping physicality down should suffice if they can't get this involved.

- Snapshots from an angle just aren't powerful enough. In fact, shooting in most situations isn't powerful enough. PES has the venom (and ball weight)of shots nailed, albeit not the swerve.

- Fair play. If I kick the ball out when a player is down, I want it back.

- Go over to Dice's studios and try BFBC2. Listen to the glorious sound system they have. It's incredible. Give us an atmosphere as detailed as that - aaahs and oohs, and COME ON! when you are through or there is a break. Give us localised goal cheers as well.
- Personally I think young players need to be visibly more inconsistent. A talented but raw young player should be capable of moments of magic but prone to mistakes. Therefore old players with wise heads would have an advantage in being on the pitch.

---

Christ, once I've started I can't stop. It doesn't seem to take any time either, some sort of haze just descends over me :(... Ball physics, player inaccuracy, ball physics, snapshots and player inaccuracy are absolute 100% musts for me. The rest are just 99.9% musts.

Last edited:
Most of the stuff here is spot on. The only thing I can add that I personally have a problem with is how quick the power bar for passes on manual charge up.
I know some people like it slow but maybe having a slider for it in the settings would be great.

Well, my major problem is the first touch bug. Probably (?) only happens on manual. Basically, if you take the ball from the opponent and then try to pass on one touch, the outcome of that pass is absolutely random and you have no outcome what so ever with the power.

(Other than that I'm amazed by what some of you think, I disagree with a lot)

My issues are:

- Constant sprint-pressing by the CPU (and human players) without tiring. I'm ok with this tactic as long as there is a penalty for doing so, i.e. big loss of player stamina. If I press for 90 minutes in PES my team is completely drained and it should be the same here.

- Shooting. It needs to be more powerful and versatile. Pile-drivers and snap shots are often far too weak, as is shooting with the player's body at an angle to the ball. Finesse shots are maybe too effective. Shooting sweet spots still seem to exist.

- Goalkeepers seem unbeatable from certain angles to the extent that it's not worth attempting a shot, creating shooting sweet spots (as above).

- Heading. Again, too weak and bullet headers are a very rare occurrence.

- Clearances. I should be able to hit the shoot button in my own half and instantly hit a long ball clear. Instead clearances are often quite weak, going straight to an opposition player on the edge of the area, or there is hesitation before the player attempts to clear the ball allowing the attacker to nip in and steal the ball. The same applies when trying to use a lob pass to clear the ball. It should be an instant, hefty kick.

- Physicality:

1. A player in possession can be knocked off the ball far too easily when an opponent is using the pressure button. Far too often a big strong player gets dispossessed by a smaller, weaker player just by using the pressure button.

2. Heading seems to be a bit of a lottery. A tall player with good heading technique should win headers more often than not.

- Dribbling. I should be able to take on a defender without using an array of tricks and using complicated controls. A good dribbler like Messi or Ronaldo should be able to beat his man simply by a drop of the shoulder, and a quick change of direction, but as it stands the controls are still too sluggish and the physicality of the game too overpowering to allow this to be done. A player on the ball can be dispossessed too easily.

- Player individuality. Make the players feel, not look, more unique.

That's about it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
fatigue has to become more effective. Players have to be punished for non stop pressure.

Absolutely, especially on manual, it is impossible to play in defense to pause the game's pace a little bit.

- More player individuality. As today, only speed and physics stand out as important. I would like players like Xavi to be more important and dictate the play.

:WORSHIP: For example, there should be some levels to "unprefferred" foot skill. There are players that have too much difficulty to shot with the other foot, others shot reasonably well... In this way, it forces you to shoot with the best foot.

- More importance to cover passing lanes and less physical play. Standing tackles is the only way to steal the ball in FIFA today. I want the game to be more awarding for realistic defence as covering passing lanes for example.

- I don't think that the tactics are too drastic. I think it's great that teams play really different depending on tactical changes. It's just that they are not equally awarding. There should be a downside to every extreme tactic (read high pressure and aggression)

- More diagonal runs and more player shifting positions.

- Bigger pitch / smaller players. This would make the game more tactical, more varied and make central midfield players more important. I want more than counter-attacking and speedy wingers.

I agree with everything, stahre.

First touches are currently immaculate as well. So an Accrington player is just as capable of receiving a long ball hoofed at him as he is at receiving a 5 yard gentle layoff. He's also perfectly gifted at turning with his first touch, so that if he chooses not to hit a heat seeking first time pass 30 yards almost directly backwards, he can control the long ball with a first touch at 170 degrees to where he's facing as if he's Dennis Bergkamp and run off in that direction without the move losing a split second of ping pong momentum. Even good Premier League players often have to control the ball before then turning with the ball.

Exactly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkyItOzjLdg

- FREE KICKS ARE EXPLOITS!! WHERE'S THE SKILL IN SCORING?!? Over the wall, round the wall, under the wall, all extremely easy with any player who has one foot to stand on and the other to deliver the absurdly sweet strike.

-Players who aren't under our control should still get involved in tackling/heading etc, like PES. None of this one-on-one business.

X2. Also about free kicks, i hate the normal standing position:

Well, my major problem is the first touch bug. Probably (?) only happens on manual. Basically, if you take the ball from the opponent and then try to pass on one touch, the outcome of that pass is absolutely random and you have no outcome what so ever with the power.

It happens cause the game was not made to play on manual. For example, we(manual players) have to use triangle to make short passes, otherwise its almost impossible. The power bar needs to be corrected and it should be a power bar for headers too.

My issues are:
- Clearances. I should be able to hit the shoot button in my own half and instantly hit a long ball clear. Instead clearances are often quite weak, going straight to an opposition player on the edge of the area, or there is hesitation before the player attempts to clear the ball allowing the attacker to nip in and steal the ball. The same applies when trying to use a lob pass to clear the ball. It should be an instant, hefty kick.

Defenders should be forced to clear the ball always in pressure situations, otherwise they can easily pass the ball in defense without any risk.

1. A player in possession can be knocked off the ball far too easily when an opponent is using the pressure button. Far too often a big strong player gets dispossessed by a smaller, weaker player just by using the pressure button.

Indeed, it is extremely easy, you just have to use the pressure button. There should be a correct time to take the ball with the pressure button, and if you missed it should be a fault.

- Player individuality. Make the players feel, not look, more unique.

Absolutely, players are too skinny, i hate player model, the boots looks like clown shoes...etc

2. Bigger pitches.

---

I still have much to say, but ill stop..the post is getting too long. :P

1.stop the goal keepers from automatically coming out of goal.
2.Sort the bloody stupid momentum problem,To many times I have played games were if I go down 1 nil,all my players dont bother making runs,moving into the right position and also somehow makes players like neville able to be quicker than david silva and stronger than didier drogba!It also takes down shooting acuraccy.I had one game were I had about 22 shots and only 9 of them were on target,Didnt score yet the opponent team has 4 shots and 3 went on target and scored twice:RANT: Please sort this out ea.

Good idea. And alienate about 95% of the customer base.

right, then why bother with any fix at all to begin with since 95% of the playerbase is fine with the game as it is anyway; ever been to the official EA forums? Aside from a few exceptions it's like an endless circlejerking of ping-pong passing feticists who apparently don't play on Manual because:

Don't think so Tim; same buttons configuration and overall controls set-up, different mechanics (as in it removes the passing/shooting CPU aids which are in place for the sole reason of increasing your accuracy and execution speed), so nope, it does take more skill (just like driving in GT5 Prologue takes far more skill without driving aids such as steering and stability management than the other way around) and time has very little to do with it (it's not like you have to learn how to combo Ruy's FADC into Super in order to be competitive or somesuch eh).

I'm very well aware of the fact that you're grasping at straws to save face but don't be silly now, come on.
Ok, Let me explain this to you.

Anybody can play assisted, granted. All you have to do is pick up a controller, get used to the game physics and voila.

Not everybody can play Manual, it takes more time to master, not everybody has said "time". It doesn't require skill, if everybody had time and patience, the world would all be playing Manual.

lol...

Last edited:
right, then why bother with any fix at all to begin with since 95% of the playerbase is fine with the game as it is anyway; ever been to the official EA forums? Aside from a few exceptions it's like an endless circlejerking of ping-pong passing feticists who apparently don't play on Manual because:

You missed the point in spectacular fashion. Assisted controls should always be an option as it's what the majority of Fifa players use. It's there for causal players or those that simply want a simpler experience. Don't get all elitist about it.

Anyway, it's the underlying game mechanic that is the problem for me, not the assisted controls.

Assisted controls should always be an option as it's what the majority of Fifa players use. It's there for causal players or those that simply want a simpler experience.

Don't be naive.

As long as some form of assisted controls are there casual players and tourneyfags will always resort to them (since it dumbs down the gameplay while providing an unfair advantage over the other controls schemes, it's a win/win situation for them), thus they need to be removed from the game in order to achieve an even playing field.

Part of the online experience has become borderline pointless because of this shit.

Last edited:
Passing needs to be made less ping pongy, Probably exaggerate the stats for average players and then have Scholes, Fabregas and co have the ability to ping pong.

Bigger pitch or even better vary the sizes of pitches E.I Nou Camp and Stamford Bridge vary a lot.

Shooting needs to be improved from angles and first time shots.

Vary player first touch, can make it easier by having like 5-6 different ones. and then assigning them to players.

Also remove the Pressure button and only allow when chasing the ball going into Jockey Run

Last edited:
Don't be naive.

As long as some form of assisted gameplay is there casual players and tourneyfags will always resort to them (since it dumbs down the gameplay while providing an unfair advantage over the other controls schemes, it's a win/win situation for them), thus they need to be removed from the game in order to achieve an even playing field.

Part of the online experience has become borderline pointless because of this shit.

The issue here is that EA need to pair players using the same (or very similar) assists in online play. Any game should appeal to a wide range of ability levels, not be tailored for a certain hardcore (and small) section of the fanbase. It is totally unreasonable to expect otherwise. Why should a casual gamer and/or football fan be forced to put hours into the game to master a manual control system when all they want is a post-pub kick about, or simply they don't have the time?

As Nick said:

Nick Cave said:
Sliders are the way to go where possible so people can tweak the game to suit there abilities, a set of standard positions that are then adjustable able...

...allow the player to adjust the difficulty to their liking. Don't force a hardcore control scheme on them.

Anyway back on topic...

The issue here is that EA need to pair players using the same (or very similar) assists in online play.

I wholeheartedly agree on this.

Why should a casual gamer and/or football fan be forced to put hours into the game to master a manual control system when all they want is a post-pub kick about, or simply they don't have the time?

I don't get it...what is there to "master"?

For instance Street Fighter IV combos require the player to pour hours into the training mode because they're comprised of extremely convoluted strings of commands which must be executed with flawless timing in order to get something useful out of it whereas FIFA 10 "actions" are shared among all of the control schemes (if anything right stick tricks are the ones which take some time to get used to and they're again the same for any controls set-up) and they're all like 1 or 2 buttons long at worst.

Being good on manual just takes skill, you either got it or not however time isn't going to make much of a difference in that sense (you might get an overall better understanding of the gameplay overtime but that's a whole different story and has nothing to do with controls).

Last edited:
Few things:
1. Sort the backline so that they are in sync. That way one on one's aren't so common. Sometimes the defenders even with defensive runs will not track back for shit. Or the the popular one where you have your fullback keeping a striker on side.

2.Improve the fatigue even further so that 100 aggression is useless for more than 20 min.

3.The attributes for all players should be exaggerated more (whether it be the attribute ratings be more spread out or the values to have more meaning) so that you can distinguish a winger from a striker, etc. That's probably one of the bigger problems FIFA has right now.

4. That said, you cannot exaggerate attributes without improving the ball physics so that the superstars cannot score from anywhere at will. Primarily the dip you can apply to a ball with pretty much any player in such short distances is insane. Not even Ronaldo can get that much dip on a free kick. But if attributes are exaggerated correctly you will not see Messi scoring from range, Puyol able to provide consistiently accurate long balls as Xavi would.

5. Assisted has to go. Semi and Manual only. No one should be able to perfect this game. Having 5/5 shots go in is not simulation. Just to appease the Semi and Manual haters rename Semi-Assisted to Assisted and they won't complain
6. Speed and Strength are once again supreme. But if the attributes are exaggerated like I described and the Defensive AI sorted so players actually mark a man it would not be an issue.

7.Remove Zonal Marking. It doesn't work for Liverpool so why would it work in FIFA?

Being good on manual just takes skill, you either got it or not however time isn't going to make much of a difference in that sense.
Thats so not true. I'm a lot better at using manual passes and shots than I used to be because of hours of practice.

Thats so not true. I'm a lot better at using manual passes and shots than I used to be because of hours of practice.

Retri said:
(you might get an overall better understanding of the gameplay overtime but that's a whole different story and has nothing to do with controls)

practicing passes/shoots aiming != learning controls

seriously now wtf, memorizing FIFA controls, whether you're on assisted or manual, takes LITERALLY 5 minutes (tricks aside of course but that's besides the point).

The issue is not that assisted passing exists, but that it is so infinitely more effective than manual passing*. I don't mind that someone who can't put the time in isn't using semi or manual passing at all. I mind that there is no inaccuracy at all when you do so. If assisted, semi and manual passers all suffer inaccuracy (based on the player you use, but also with even the very best players occasionally misplacing passes) then we are all a lot closer together in how the game actually plays for us, so when the gameplay is balanced to suit one, it is better suited to all. At the moment the disparity is so big that manual and assisted may as well be on different discs.

* Obviously you can hit a perfect manual pass, and you can hit through balls that are more devastating than their assisted equivalent would have been. The point is that the risk, the chance of hitting that immaculate through ball, makes you think twice about trying it in the first place. This is also the case with passing it around the back; I'd sooner hit an assisted pass to a centre back who is 5 yards away from a pacey striker on the halfway line than I would hit a manual pass to that same player.

Last edited:
Being good on manual just takes skill, you either got it or not however time isn't going to make much of a difference in that sense (you might get an overall better understanding of the gameplay overtime but that's a whole different story and has nothing to do with controls).

So for those that 'haven't got it', are they supposed to get frustrated with the game and give up on Fifa? All this gaming elitism bullshit really pisses me off, and I don't even use fully assisted controls.

romagnoli said:
The issue is not that assisted passing exists, but that it is so infinitely more effective than manual passing*. I don't mind that someone who can't put the time in isn't using semi or manual passing at all. I mind that there is no inaccuracy at all when you do so. If assisted, semi and manual passers all suffer inaccuracy (based on the player you use, but also with even the very best players occasionally misplacing passes) then we are all a lot closer together in how the game actually plays for us, so when the gameplay is balanced to suit one, it is better suited to all. At the moment the disparity is so big that manual and assisted may as well be on different discs.

Exactly. As I said earlier, the game mechanic is the problem, and the assisted controls reflect that. The fully assisted settings are too accurate and need to be tweaked so that inaccuracies can occur instead of being removed completely.

So for those that 'haven't got it', are they supposed to get frustrated with the game and give up on Fifa?

They can always go back to World of Warcraft, Nintendogs or Wii shovelware. To each his own.

I generaly tend not to stick with FPS's for long, even though I think the concept itself is pretty cool, because I flat-out suck at them and my kill ratio, no matter the game, is usually something along the lines of 1:5 (trust me it gets really frustrating after a while)...should Zipper Interactive, Valve, DICE, id Software, Infinity Ward and the likes implement assisted aiming and an automatic opportunity fire feature (shitting all over the online by doing so) then? lol, eh.

Last edited:
That's a wilfully awful example, even though console FPS games already use a fair amount of aim assistance and are simplistic enough in basic gameplay as it stands. It can also very easily be negated by racing games with automatic gearboxes and racing lines that tell you when and where to brake, or with countless assists and aids included so you can make the game as challengingly realistic or engagingly fun as suits you.

Jamezinho said:
Exactly. As I said earlier, the game mechanic is the problem, and the assisted controls reflect that. The fully assisted settings are too accurate and need to be tweaked so that inaccuracies can occur instead of being removed completely.

Definitely. Following up the racing analogy, manual controls are currently like racing a car with GT5 handling and acceleration in a game designed to offer an even challenge if you're playing with Burnout (read 'assisted') gameplay.

There is nothing wrong with assisted controls as a concept - football games should be all inclusive, not whittled down for elitists to get all snotty about manual controls. The good news in that respect is that EA will never listen to them; the bad news is that these people could instead have spent that time talking about realistic solutions to making assisted and manual controls more closely balanced.

For those who think assisted controls should be replaced with semi-assisted - semi-assisted is basically assisted if you aim half competently. You can ping pong like nobody's business with semi assisted provided you aren't playing a really laggy game. They need to rework assisted controls as a whole, otherwise they won't have fixed the problem.

As we always say when bemoaning this year's game, there has to be a depth to a good sports game for those who are willing to put the time in, and FIFA is nowhere near that at the moment. Where a good WE/PES would endure for the whole year, FIFA at the moment is designed to have the longevity of a standard game - a month or so before you've seen all there is to see.

Another thing - in a racing game, if you put the handling on 'Professional', the CPU's handling is changed as well.

Last edited:
That's a wilfully awful example

There is nothing wrong with assisted controls as a concept - football games should be all inclusive, not whittled down for elitists to get all snotty about manual controls.

Friggin' casuals and their sense of self-entitlement for features aimed at dumbing down the gameplay. You're the cancer killing gaming ever since it's gone mainstream.

Lemme guess, was SWOS too hard for you as well? Kick Off 2? GOAL!? Thought so.

Last edited:
practicing passes/shoots aiming != learning controls

seriously now wtf, memorizing FIFA controls, whether you're on assisted or manual, takes LITERALLY 5 minutes (tricks aside of course but that's besides the point).
But practicing controls and memorizing/learning controls are two different things. Which of the two are you talking about?

What I'm saying is that when I was on assisted the first time I played the game, I was used to aiming the left stick roughly in the area I want the pass to go to and then the CPU would fine tune the pass for me, so switching to manual was obviously very hard. But hours and days of sticking to it and forcing myself to play on manual has now got me making through balls and crosses that look as good, if not more accurate than assisted ones. And most importantly, I can make the right crosses and passes at the right times. Now if I went into the arena with no opposition and I tried to aim a pass with all the time in the world, it would be easy. The practice for me was all about being about to aim the pass quicker and with the right power when the opportunity suddenly came in a match. Its like practicing combos in Street Fighter IV or Tekken 6 or whatever. I personally am not that good at Street Fighter IV but I can probably do most of the combos you can learn in the Trial mode after a few tries. The problem here is, I learnt the combos but I couldnt put them into practice in a match against a friend or a CPU cuz I'm no good at suddenly pulling off the combos when you get that very small window of opportunity to execute it successfully.

Back
Top Bottom