What is YOUR FAVOURITE football game of all time?

ISS deluxe the PlayStation 1 version that game was superb fun we used to do a world cup with friends and it always ended up (me as Argentina) vs my mate (as Holland) in either the semis or final hated playing him he used to make the game do things that seemed impossible haha we had some epic matches i still remember

As a solo player PES 3 which had AI that was a real challenge in ML

Number 1: Pro Evolution Soccer 6
Played this game to 2012/2013 season.

2nd: FIFA 16
More than 400 hours played. Lot of tournaments with friends and cold beer.

3rd: Kick Off on Commodore 64
Game of my childhood.

I've loved many games during the years, and most of them were football games. From FIFA International Soccer to Virtua Striker 2002, fron ISS 64 to PES 2018, I've played hundreds and hundreds of matches.

I must admit that if I had to choose one to keep now I'd say PES 2015...
But if we go all the way back, the ones that provided me the greatest feelings (of joy, anger, disbeief) were PES 5 and ISS 64. They just cannot compete on a "technical" viewpoint anymor though.

I've loved many games during the years, and most of them were football games. From FIFA International Soccer to Virtua Striker 2002, fron ISS 64 to PES 2018, I've played hundreds and hundreds of matches.

I must admit that if I had to choose one to keep now I'd say PES 2015...
But if we go all the way back, the ones that provided me the greatest feelings (of joy, anger, disbeief) were PES 5 and ISS 64. They just cannot compete on a "technical" viewpoint anymor though.
You and me are probably the only ones liking/loving Pes 15
Great game

PES 6 is the greatest football game of all time in my opinion. Despite being dated now, it still offers such an organic variety of AI styles and outcomes. The challenge was just right and it felt so, so good.

Fifa 2016 is a very close second. It has all the bells and whistles but not quite the excitement of PES 6. I'm hoping Fifa 2018 scratches the itch because PES 2018 sure won't.

Probably a hybrid between ISS Pro Evolution 2, PES 5/WE9LE, FIFA 10 on full manual and Sensible Soccer. Hard to pick just one and there's lots I haven't played as well. I'll come up with an overall favorite one day when I complete my collection.

Last edited:
SWOS was my first.

ISS PE2 was my second.

WE6FE was my third but it will always mean the most to me. I was a teenager, I had a fraught relationship with my parents, but I'd play football games with dad when we were speaking to each other, and he drove me around Manchester (miles away from where we lived) to help me get my PlayStation chipped and, same day, buy a copy of WE6FE from a computer fair (a staple of my childhood).

He was never impressed with each new game - if he posted on here he'd be called a troll, he was never happy. "I'm pressing buttons and nothing's happening", "it's too fast now", "this is a kids' game". But when we got home (late) with WE6FE, we played a few games, practically in silence, and then - to this day I've never known him say anything else like this (about anything) - he said "this is brilliant, isn't it".

He's 73 now, and he's not "all there", and the family worries about him - but the above is one of my fondest memories, and it's probably why I'm still obsessed enough with PES to be a mod here and post every day (much to everyone else's chagrin).

Pes 5. Absolutely battered that game. The only negative being crowd not appearing in the stands during gameplay. Otherwise, a perfect game at the time.

back in the day in 2001-2004 what pes edition was that i forgot.. my college years were best hammering pes with college mates and from around neighbourhood.. cup matches, waiting for your turn and thinking about formation tactics you gonns bring it in.. those moments. :D

- PES 2018
- FIFA 16
- PES 5/6
- PES 2013
- FIFA 13
- WE 3 Final Version
- ISS Deluxe

In no particular order. Because years and nostalgia may play a role here.
Plus it would be unfair to compare an old game with very old technologies with the newest ones.

I've played every football game from 1994 up until now. So most ISS/WE/PES should be on the list because all of them were significant for me, but I've only put 2 of old ones there because those were game changers in my life.

I forgot which Pes it was, but one I liked the most was the last time Adriano was in Inter - both ML and vs friends was great. Gameplay was the way i liked it, no faults. Free kicks were the best + direct scoring from corners from time to time.

I would go with PES 5. It was a brilliant game and i played it almost every day offline and online. So much fun and so much free time in those days. It was great.

Second place is PES 2011 and PES 2018 with PES 2018 a little bit ahead.

I'm waiting one year to re-considers PES 2018 and FIFA 18. Too soon, i've played a little bit more PES 2018 but i'm doing a particular option file which ask a lot of work...
And Fifa, i've received the game yesterday only (i'm not a day one man)

This decade I've been disappointed with football video games. I like PES 2018 so far, the gameplay especially, but still the absurd transfers that COM makes kinda ruins the experience off-field. For instance Chilean clubs signing English players from Championship.

All time favorites go way back in my childhood
FIFA RTWC 98
FIFA World Cup 1998
FIFA 99
PES 3
PES 6

The reason for loving these games might just be my childhood overall, games weren't that complex as today, our demands, too.

P.S. - I should honorably mention the FIFA 13 Demo which I spent two weeks playing. Couldn't wait for the game to come out. Then bought FIFA 13 and it turned out to be crap as its predecessors.

I still play PES6 regularly from 2006 till now, and it doesn't seem to change in the future.
I'm enjoying PES2018 now, but there's something in PES6 (and also PES5 and that era) that pull you to it.
Yes it's limited in every aspect, but I'll talk about tactics. Despite the limitations in tactics, we managed to simulate so many playstyles, just look at ChenghisKhan thread in the Editing section, and so was Perfectio's thread.
I also put a lot of focus on formations and I update my OF all the time for many teams.

It was kick off 2 then ISS series then winning eleven 10 then FIFA world cup 2010 then probably PES 17 now it's FIFA 18 by a country mile., absolute quality.

PES 2011 for me, MLO was a brilliant online mode, the sort we will surely never see again... Now it's all about microtransactions, "legends", pre-order bonuses (Madadona...) and other nonsense. Nearly every MyClub team I play against in PES 2018 has Ronaldo/Messi and a bunch of other 85+ rated star players.

In 2011 you had limited funds and no microtransactions, you saw a much wider set of teams and tactics used, a genuine sense of building and improving your team over weeks/months... Scouring the database for that hidden gem that will fit into your tactics based on their stats/traits... 2011 MLO > FUT/MyClub.

I'm still enjoying PES 2018 a lot, and could regard it as the best eventually, but not based on game modes... Only for the gameplay.

PES5/6 were good at the time, but were so simplistic really... Adriano's left foot was like 99% a goal anywhere inside 30 yards in PES6 especially... So much scumming of that online.

I'm bored, so:

WE9:LE
- Had everything you would want. Incredible attention to detail, ball physics, challenge, realism. It was a blast. Glad to see it still going strong in the mod community too.

vs

FIFA 11 (PS3)
- Ironically I play FIFA now for sliders, but FIFA 11 was one that didn't have sliders yet. It was by far the most enjoyable because of the player models, and realism of the ball physics, but most of all how rewarding it was to score a goal. There was such a difficulty with the game between WC to Legendary though. On WC it was still too easy, but on Legendary it was incredibly hard. This is where I started the WC to be played for Home matches and Legendary for away matches house rule for myself.

From a nostalgia viewpoint, in random order: Fifa 98 because it was the first football game I've ever seriously played (looking at it today, it was a parody of soccer tho, but still very fun at the times.. at the opposite of Fifa 97, my first truly soccer game that was a complete, unplayable disgrace..), Iss 64 (had the magic of old Iss and the good stuff of the "new gen", but eventually Kcet Iss Pro darkened the saga without hopes) and Iss Pro 98 (first game I've played against friends, first game that gave me the impression of trying to simulate real soccer, the 98 World Cup, my first WC as a soccer fan.. plus, like Iss64, it was a bit of a bridge between the old ways of colorful and fun and the new more serious approach..)

For gameplay, and all around completeness.. if I'd have to pick one, despite having enjoyed many other Pes/WE.. only one possible name.. PES5/WE9.. lasted me more than a decade.. countless Master Leagues, experiments, games, playstyles, editing.. it felt like an universe on his own, like I was truly simulating a sport within a sport.. I hope sooner or later we'll see another game so complete and so capable of unite us all..

1. PES5 / WE9 / LE
2. PES6
3. FIFA 16 (with community mod sliders) FIFA 17 is almost the same game though.

Those are head and shoulders above everything else because they have an atmosphere of the real football. Only PES5 and WE9 have enough fouls though. PES since 2010 have had idiotic, too strong comeback logic. CPU scoring percentage from corner kicks is like 80% when they're trailing in the last minutes. I have never played a 0-0 game in any of the new PES titles (with 15 min halfs). Happens a lot in PES5.

New PES have a lot of potential but the execution is very poor. Everything could be fixed with proper AI sliders and more moderate CPU cheating.

And I've been a diehard-PES guy since PES3. But let's face it FIFA 16 and 17 are much better football games than PES 2017 and PES 2018. It's just a sad fact.

With community sliders new FIFAs are actually pretty damn good. No sick comeback logic, possibility to play defensive, low scoring games and scoring is not too easy. Sometimes you actually HAVE a tight, defensive battle which ends up in 0-0. Imagine that! Would never, ever happen in PES 2017 and 2018.

Corner kick scoring percentage is realistic and it doesn't feel scripted. PES 2017 and 2018 are like broadcasts. You actually learn to know when the CPU is going to cheat, score and even the game, no matter what you do. You can just watch. The only problem with FIFAs is the lack of fouls, which is the same problem for each and every football game (besides PES5/WE9).

Funny that in FIFA 14 you were still able to address this problem a little by switching to more strict referee. They took this feature away for FIFA 15, it was just too NICE. Priceless shit. :D

PS: I just installed NHL 2000. A 18-year old sports game where you can actually adjust EVERYTHING with sliders. Yeah, including the referee strictness (penalty frequency). Almost 20 years later PES still doesn't have ai sliders. Oh... but according to the reviews it's a perfect football game, it doesn't need 'em. :D

Last edited:
My favorites:

- PES 2017 (PC)
- WE 6 International (PS2)
- World Fantasista (PS2)
- Jikkyou World Soccer 2002 (ISS 3) (PS2)

World Fantasista is from 2002 and it's a very Japanese game: mainly arcade, but yet brilliantly realistic in it's approach to the sport.

Animation wise it was better than WE5-WE6 (2001-2002) and on some specific dribbling moves, pass animations and running animations it was way ahead of its time by providing a very organic feeling to them. Some of them are even better than modern day Fifa games (17-18) and way better than PES 4-PES 7.

Gameplay wise, the best way I can describe it is a blend between WE 6 International Gameplay (Far better than WE 6 FE, and an improvement/evolution over WE 6) and Jikkyou World Soccer 2001/Jikkyou World Soccer 2002 (ISS2 & ISS3)and a hint of Football Kingdom...Perhaps with the balance being more on the ISS side. Many gameplay innovations ahead of its time: short corners, Support Striker/Fantasista Role, a dynamic camera angle, branched animations, great and realistic replay angles, great goal keepers.

A far more enjoyable game, despite of its flaws and never being a truly finished product, than PES 5/6/7 in my opinion.

In balance, I've always considered the late 2001 to 2002 era far superior to the 2004-2007 era for Konami football games. So I wouldn't hesitate in choosing World Fantasista over WE 5 FE, WE 6, WE6 FE, PES 3, PES 4, PES 5, PES 6, PES 2007 any day.

While I listed PE5 as the "best game ever" I still can't go back playing it anymore. It's just so ridiculously outdated graphics and animation wise. It's all relative. If you consider that PES5 was released over 12 years ago it has stood time very well.

NHL04 Rebuilt is still the SH*T but that's because the modders have been able to hack so many of its original features, even added a lot of stuff to the hardcode.
http://z15.invisionfree.com/NHL04Rebuilt/index.php?showtopic=1

You can't really adjust PES5 any more than modding the graphics, put in some global roster edits and widescreen/camera angle.

FIFA 16 and 17 (with proper sliders) are better games in many ways. If they had fouls they would be absolutely amazing. But they don't. I can't respect a "simulation" that leaves such important feature out of the game.

World Fantasista is from 2002 and it's a very Japanese game: mainly arcade, but yet brilliantly realistic in it's approach to the sport.

Animation wise it was better than WE5-WE6 (2001-2002) and on some specific dribbling moves, pass animations and running animations it was way ahead of its time by providing a very organic feeling to them. Some of them are even better than modern day Fifa games (17-18) and way better than PES 4-PES 7.

Gameplay wise, the best way I can describe it is a blend between WE 6 International Gameplay (Far better than WE 6 FE, and an improvement/evolution over WE 6) and Jikkyou World Soccer 2001/Jikkyou World Soccer 2002 (ISS2 & ISS3)and a hint of Football Kingdom...Perhaps with the balance being more on the ISS side. Many gameplay innovations ahead of its time: short corners, Support Striker/Fantasista Role, a dynamic camera angle, branched animations, great and realistic replay angles, great goal keepers.

A far more enjoyable game, despite of its flaws and never being a truly finished product, than PES 5/6/7 in my opinion.

In balance, I've always considered the late 2001 to 2002 era far superior to the 2004-2007 era for Konami football games. So I wouldn't hesitate in choosing World Fantasista over WE 5 FE, WE 6, WE6 FE, PES 3, PES 4, PES 5, PES 6, PES 2007 any day.

Cheers, I will definitely look into it. I was watching this guys playthrough and the animations are very cool. Looks quite tough to score as well. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Best football game ever:

WE9/PES5 referees (amount of fouls)
PES 2017 referees' card giving frequency. I think it's about right.
FIFA 16-17 ai and cutscenes
PES 2017-2018 graphics and player movement

+ proper stats and gamefacts of the games, also the CPU simulated games. Ability to export these to a txt file.
Something like this:
http://www.planetworldcup.com/CUPS/1990/r2_bra_v_arg.html

+ and a long penalty shootout with proper replays, cutscenes from player emotions, goalie emotions, crowd emotions. Something that resembles the excitement, suspense and atmosphere of a real penalty shootout. Not like it's now... penalty shootout from a Commodore 64 Kickoff arcade game that goes past in 30 seconds.

PS: That World Fantasista looks a lot of fun and quite nice but that's an arcade game, basically.

Back
Top Bottom