1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

What are the rules if Liverpool win champions league but dont qualify in league?

Discussion in 'Football' started by Alucard, 19 April 2005.

1. Alucard

Alucard Guest

Would be weird if Liverpool was to win CL this season but be out of it next season. Whats the rules for this?

2. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    They would take over one of the EPL's CL spots, much like Real Madrid did in 2002 i think it was. So technically they can kick Everton out of the CL.

3. Tim7

Tim7 Retired Footballer

6 May 2003
    Gravesend
    Charlton Athletic FC
    The winner of the CL and UEFA cup has automatic entry to next season's competition. So Liverpool would be in next season's if they win this season's CL :).

4. Alucard

Alucard Guest

If liverpool automatically qualified that would mean 5 premiership teams could go through or would the 4th place team be excluded?

5. knh4

knh4 Championship

21 October 2002
    Bradford
    Man Utd
    The 4th team which in this case might be Everton will be excluded if Liverpool go all the way and win it.

6. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Turn around, I'm right behind you...
    Manchester United
    I thought I heard UEFA say that you only get automatic qualification if your league has less than 4 teams qualifying. Cuz the maximum has to be 4 and not more.
    If a team from one of the smaller countries wins where they have less than 4 qualifiers, they can guarantee themselves a place.

Thats what I read but I cant remember where. I think it was a newspaper. I might be wrong though.

7. footieBalla

footieBalla Guest

well, it's something the toffees are banking on not happening, it would ruin a very fruitful season for them, result wise

-fb

8. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    It would be such a low blow if Everton were knocked out by Liverpool. Just whole thing about them being rivals and Everton finally getting a CL place and then having it snatched away would piss any Everton fan off. If I was a Everton fan, I'd kill someone.

9. cfdh_edmundo

cfdh_edmundo Maverick

30 December 2002
    The English FA would have to decide which team (Liverpool as CL winners or Everton as 4th placed team) which team would go into next season's CL as 4 is the max number of teams from any association.

From Here

I think the English FA have already stated that, if there was a choice to make, then they would pick the CL winners (Liverpool) ahead of 4th placed team (eg Everton/Bolton).

10. smango

smango Guest

Your mean Bolton. Bolton are destined to finish fourth it will come down to the final match of the season Bolton V Everton. Liverpool are complete and utter shite, they won't beat Chelsea in the Champs league and will struggly to win more than two of their remaining matches in the premier league, leaving it to be a battle between Everton and Bolton for that final champs leaguespot.

11. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    Thats the realistic outcome but we're talking about a possible outcome.

12. Joystick

Joystick Deep like Titanic

10 August 2004
    London
    The Arse
    There's no way the winners of the Champions League would not be allowed to defend their title the next season. It would make a mockery of the whole competition if you think about it. Its harsh as f*** for Everton/Bolton but thats the way it'll go should events unfold like that.

13. Revan

Revan out the window

8 August 2003
    Madeira, Portugal.
    FC Porto
    The winners enter automaticaly, no matter is position in the league!
    If someone needs to be kicked out then they shall! :s
    It would be a scandal if the winner would be out of the CL because of some FA grunt who thinks that EPL has more weight in their decision than the CL. I mean it can't be even considered!

:)

14. Mack

Mack Champions League

8 August 2003
    Manchester
    MCFC
    but seriously Liverpool winning the Champs league! :lmao:

15. Pires7

Pires7 Jumpers For Goalposts

28 July 2003
    London
    Arsenal
    Why not?

16. Mack

Mack Champions League

8 August 2003
    Manchester
    MCFC
    2 reasons Milan and Chelsea!

17. Vannizzlefashizzal

Vannizzlefashizzal TWENTYTIMES!!!!

31 October 2002
    the same happened when lfc got england kicked out of europe, everton won the legue that year and missed out on The European Cup.

18. Revan

Revan out the window

8 August 2003
    Madeira, Portugal.
    FC Porto
    that was mean! :lol:

19. ghazi

ghazi Guest

It's up to the FA to decide.

I dont think Everton can stay in 4th anyway, with games vs ManU (tday) Arsenal and Bolton to go.

And Pool can still land 4th by the end of the weekend, if not be tied by today.

There's no reason to think any of the Champs League teams can't win it all, including Liverpool. Ask Juventus or Leverkusen.

20. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    Once you reach a knockout stage, all domestic form and previous results have to be thrown out of the window. Anyone can win the CL including Liverpool.
    Do I have to remind people about Porto and Monaco last year?

21. juventus11

juventus11 Guest

LOL I doubt Liverpool can reach the final.

22. ghazi

ghazi Guest

Did you laff as hard before they beat your team. ;)

23. Mack

Mack Champions League

8 August 2003
    Manchester
    MCFC
    Great Comeback! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

24. biggertam

biggertam Winning means Everything

17 January 2003
    Dumbarton -Scotland
    Celtic
    the comp makes a mockery of itself anyway its all in the name. think about it..........

i will be cheering on the pool someones got to beat that team.

25. mathewsss

mathewsss Champions League

24 December 2002
    California, USA
    Liverpool FC
    It's a big IF, whether Liverpool win the Champions league...they're not even in the final...so let's cross that bridge when we get there, shall we?

I hope Liverpool do win the CL, beating Chelsea and Milan/PSV is difficult,
    but possible.
    If they do win the CL, then Everton/Bolton will not go through to the CL.
    The FA will put Liverpool ahead.

26. Milanista

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Its been done to Real Madrid in 2002, they will do it to Liverpool.

27. crayon

crayon Yamato Gaijin

23 October 2004
    Hokkaido Japan
    Liverpool FC
    I think that would be hilarious. :lol:

about as likely as Man City winning the league. :lmao:.............seriously though, we do have a chance and I believe that Liverpool out of the four remaining teams have the best chance against Chelsea, having played and come close on all three occasions this season.

28. Alucard

Alucard Guest

Well just read news http://skysports.planetfootball.com...=TOP+FOUR+TO+PLAY+IN+CL&channel=Football_Home

Seems like even if Liverpool win CL they wont be qualifying next season if they dont get 4th spot which i doubt coz liverpool dont play well in league for some reason. But FA are trying to get 5 english teams in but i doubt UEFA would allow that.

Do you still reckon its unlikely liverpool wining CL jamie mack adn juventus11?

29. Clockender

Clockender is back...but for how long?

27 November 2001
    East Lower, Block 13
    Arsenal FC
    I think the scousers have every chance of winning it. Its a one off game, anything can happen.

IMO the rules are a disgrace. The winners of the trophy should be allowed in next season to defend it regardless of their final league position. I think its a joke.

However, all this is immaterial if Milan win so its not really a debate until Liverpool win.

30. Milanista

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    I heard it was related to the English Euroban in the 80's. Everton won the league the year english teams were banned, so they were not given CL due to Heysel.