WEPES2007 / PES6 Vs. UEFA Champions League

Hey Kellex.

The one thing UEFA CL lacks is game options (and no, you can't edit appearances either) so it's focused almost entirely on the CL BUT you will feel the sense of occasion when you play it that you correctly say is lacking in PES.

Enjoy.

This WEPES2007 US version is amazing!

I have been playing non-stop for hrs on end online. I have managed to win some amazing games. The level of realism is unbeleivable. The gameplay is bar none once you master it. I love this game! even with it's faults, it's till waaaaaaay ahead of the competition. It poops all over EA's products.

Having said that, I will never betray this great franchise for the pathetic copy cat gameplay poop that is EA's UEFA.

Here's to online gaming, Winning Eleven style! ;-)

This WEPES2007 US version is amazing!

I have been playing non-stop for hrs on end online. I have managed to win some amazing games. The level of realism is unbeleivable. The gameplay is bar none once you master it. I love this game! even with it's faults, it's till waaaaaaay ahead of the competition. It poops all over EA's products.

Having said that, I will never betray this great franchise for the pathetic copy cat gameplay poop that is EA's UEFA.

Here's to online gaming, Winning Eleven style! ;-)

I've been pretty outspoken about how PES6 sucks. But I've tracked down WEPES2007 and I have gotten used to it to the point where I think it is a step in the right direction from PES5/WE9.

But most of the gripes I had from the very beginning (way to erratic shooting, passing is left completely to the AI to determine pass speed, and general inconsistencies (Goalies MUCH faster at freekicks than normally, long passes always very accurate but shots are extremely hard to get consistent, when they are both essentially a player shooting a ball). This incinsistency in shooting for example totally ruins the mood. You can strike perfect longpasses from any situations, but be a little too quick on the shot button after a turn or a move and the ball will trickle 5 meters over the bar (even though the player does a laces shot and the ball trajectory looks more like it's been made with a long-pass like foot angle).

I've been pretty outspoken about how PES6 sucks. But I've tracked down WEPES2007 and I have gotten used to it to the point where I think it is a step in the right direction from PES5/WE9.

But most of the gripes I had from the very beginning (way to erratic shooting, passing is left completely to the AI to determine pass speed, and general inconsistencies (Goalies MUCH faster at freekicks than normally, long passes always very accurate but shots are extremely hard to get consistent, when they are both essentially a player shooting a ball). This incinsistency in shooting for example totally ruins the mood. You can strike perfect longpasses from any situations, but be a little too quick on the shot button after a turn or a move and the ball will trickle 5 meters over the bar (even though the player does a laces shot and the ball trajectory looks more like it's been made with a long-pass like foot angle).

I agree with you, those are some of the gripes I have with this version, however I have learned to use RT along with my shooting to more accurately place my shoots pretty much anywhere I want from inside, and outside the box. As I mentioned above, once you master the shooting, you will have a blast. It takes lots of time and patience, but once you get it right, you will be scoring some nice belters from a good distance. This is one of the reasons why this game keeps getting better and better for me the more I play it. There is a very deep and frustrating learning curve with this game. However, a very rewarding and satisfying one once you master it. Just remember, RT is the key to placing accurate shots. Just make sure you are using the right player to execute good accurate shots.

Also, learn to master the Super Cancel button. This has led me to experience amazing freedom with my players on the pitch. Wether the ball is in the air or on the ground, using Super Cancel(SC) and mastering it to control my players has added a whole new level of dimension and realism to my games.

It's all about mastering every detail of execution in this game for me. It's not an easy task, however it's very rewarding in the long run. I am the type of player that likes to push and push until I have mastered a game to it's limit in every area to fully enjoy it. And this game will keep you busy doing just that.

Remember, there is a training mode in this game, use it wisely to master these things my dear grasshoper....

Until then,

Here's to gaming. WE style! ;-)

Last edited:
I agree with you, those are some of the gripes I have with this version, however I have learned to use RT along with my shooting to more accurately place my shoots pretty much anywhere I want from inside, and outside the box. As I mentioned above, once you master the shooting, you will have a blast. It takes lots of time and patience, but once you get it right, you will be scoring some nice belters from a good distance. This is one of the reasons why this game keeps getting better and better for me the more I play it. There is a very deep and frustrating learning curve with this game. However, a very rewarding and satisfying one once you master it. Just remember, RT is the key to placing accurate shots. Just make sure you are using the right player to execute good accurate shots.

Also, learn to master the Super Cancel button. This has led me to experience amazing freedom with my players on the pitch. Wether the ball is in the air or on the ground, using Super Cancel(SC) and mastering it to control my players has added a whole new level of dimension and realism to my games.

It's all about mastering every detail of execution in this game for me. It's not an easy task, however it's very rewarding in the long run. I am the type of player that likes to push and push until I have mastered a game to it's limit in every area to fully enjoy it. And this game will keep you busy doing just that.

Remember, there is a training mode in this game, use it wisely to master these things my dear grasshoper....

Until then,

Here's to gaming. WE style! ;-)

Hey mate. :)

To be honest I consider myself a veteran PES player. I have spent many 100 hours in PES5 and WE9 in training just striking freekick after freekick.

I also constantly use Supercancel (which is a reason I cannot play most FIFA games, I need full control constantly even if it is only slightly correcting a player's position for a pass receive or such). ;)

WEPES2007 has some very weird things going on. My main deal right now is how immobile your players are when receiving a pass. In many situations, your player is in a position where he can, and I want him to, move in a certain direction as soon as he gets the pass (basically just knock the ball in a direction and run immediately). Instead he will usually trap the ball same as when you are using "R2 + DIRECTION" to trap the ball dead and turn to face a certain direction. Not only that , but the player will then take an overly long pause before he can be controlled again.

This is obviously a way of making the game harder, but it is hardly realistic. In certain situations it is acceptable, such as if you catch the ball off balance, or when you receive a pass that is coming in slightly behind you. But either way it should almost always be possible to immediately flick a pass in a certain direction and run after it to beat an opponent. The closest thing you have in WEPES2007/PES6 is "R2 + DIRECTION + R1" to do a long trap where the player traps and turns but where the R1 button causes the ball to push out from his body a bit. But this is till useless because if you have an opponent close to you he will still easily get the ball since your player has a pause after he has made the trap (he will trap it and do a little jump in the air, then land facing the direction you want and then stand normally on 2 feet before starting to slowly move in the direction). FIFA's system of being able to tap the ball out and run as soon as the pass reaches you (by way of using the right analog stick to determine the tapout direction) is alot more realistic and fluid. in PES when you trap the ball, there is a total loss of momentum. Pass... STOP. Pass... Stop. Doesn't even closely resemble real soccer.

Also I still hate the way they have designed the shot system. The power bar should be a power bar (that is, the intended power I want to put in a shot). As it is now, if a player is off balance and you press it, it will fly up with alot more speed and even dabbing it once can make the bar to up to 70%. It would be much better if the bar was linear the whole time. That is, you can always put as much intended power into a shot as possible (I want to shoot this shot with 30% of my capable power). Then the player situation and stats will determine how well he is able to put this 30% on goal.

I have never in real life received a pass, thought "I am going to give this shot 10% since the goal is wide-open and no-one is pressuring me and I just want this shot to go on goal, and then actually bomb it 5 meters over because I was slightly off balance.

In that situation, I might misshit the ball in a way so that it gets less than 10% power and goes in a direction other than the intended (which would happen when you in real-life kick the ball on its side and not in the middle so to speak). Never have I wanted to put the ball in with 10% of my power and have it fly 5 meters over. If I want to use 10% power, I will swing my boot in a certain manner to kick it with 10% power, and it is then impossible to bomb it over no matter what you do, since the boot doesn't have enough force and speed.

In my opinion KONAMis shot-system is totally illogical and wrong in this aspect. Surely I cannot be the only one to realize this?

Last edited:
Super Cancel button is so heavily relied on in the PES games. The mechanics are all wrong, PES is dated and I am fed up with it. Will Konami be as far ahead with PES7 as EA have got with UEFA? I bet they won't be. We'll get a few more licenses, an edit mode, save replays and thats it, same old engine with one or two tweaks. I wish they would stop bringing out 100 Winning Elevens every few years and concentrate on a good PES, once a year with lots of new options.

Konami, until then, are not having a penny of my money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they would stop bringing out 100 Winning Elevens every few years and concentrate on a good PES, once a year with lots of new options.

I agree with you here. I would much rather prefer waiting a full year for a version with more options where the Master League is given a complete overhaul along with more gameplay tweaks, animations, and licensed teams.

I however, disagree with the rest of your comments. Winning Eleven games will always be worth my money and time.

After all, they are the Gods of football video games.

Super Cancel button is so heavily relied on in the PES games. The mechanics are all wrong, PES is dated and I am fed up with it. Will Konami be as far ahead with PES7 as EA have got with UEFA? I bet they won't be. We'll get a few more licenses, an edit mode, save replays and thats it, same old engine with one or two tweaks. I wish they would stop bringing out 100 Winning Elevens every few years and concentrate on a good PES, once a year with lots of new options.

Konami, until then, are not having a penny of my money.

I share your thoughts. In my opinion it would have been very wise of them to not release PES6 at all, but instead take the time to really design a new engine and such. Sure, it would have sucked waiting another year for PES, but it would have been worth it.

Also, I agree that they need to bring all these releases together to one. The reason they now release alot of versions I have no idea. Simply including lots of language options in one release will make everyone happy whether you are American, european or Korean/Japanese. That way they can release one game, and then spend a whole year making solid efforts. Not as it is now when they just dabble a bit for every release. It feels like every release is 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 etc. And once those small improvements are done for PES6, they realize they only have 5 months before they need to ship PES7. So they update the rosters as much as possible, reconfigure the passing and shooting a little with no real goals or intentions for _accurate_ realism, and call it PES7.

At a certain point one gets quite tired of it. Meanwhile FIFA gets completely new 3D engine, physics out of this world, and lots of other things. FIFAs gameplay I still don't care for, but apply the physics to PES and you have something that could be absolutely superb.

Konami need to take a leaf out of EA's book and start-from-scratch. It's 2007 now, not 1997. When I play UEFA you can tell a big team effort has been put into it. PES6 just felt like Seabass had made it, in a rush, in his bedroom. It feels like a demo, like an unfinished game. Yawn. I actually get excited everytime I put the UEFA disc in - it has been a breath of fresh air. Nearly owned it for 3 weeks now and I am still not bored. For once, EA have got it right; not perfect, but RIGHT.

Hey mate. :)

WEPES2007 has some very weird things going on. My main deal right now is how immobile your players are when receiving a pass. In many situations, your player is in a position where he can, and I want him to, move in a certain direction as soon as he gets the pass (basically just knock the ball in a direction and run immediately). Instead he will usually trap the ball same as when you are using "R2 + DIRECTION" to trap the ball dead and turn to face a certain direction. Not only that , but the player will then take an overly long pause before he can be controlled again.

This is obviously a way of making the game harder, but it is hardly realistic. In certain situations it is acceptable, such as if you catch the ball off balance, or when you receive a pass that is coming in slightly behind you. But either way it should almost always be possible to immediately flick a pass in a certain direction and run after it to beat an opponent. The closest thing you have in WEPES2007/PES6 is "R2 + DIRECTION + R1" to do a long trap where the player traps and turns but where the R1 button causes the ball to push out from his body a bit. But this is till useless because if you have an opponent close to you he will still easily get the ball since your player has a pause after he has made the trap (he will trap it and do a little jump in the air, then land facing the direction you want and then stand normally on 2 feet before starting to slowly move in the direction). FIFA's system of being able to tap the ball out and run as soon as the pass reaches you (by way of using the right analog stick to determine the tapout direction) is alot more realistic and fluid. in PES when you trap the ball, there is a total loss of momentum. Pass... STOP. Pass... Stop. Doesn't even closely resemble real soccer.

Also I still hate the way they have designed the shot system. The power bar should be a power bar (that is, the intended power I want to put in a shot). As it is now, if a player is off balance and you press it, it will fly up with alot more speed and even dabbing it once can make the bar to up to 70%. It would be much better if the bar was linear the whole time. That is, you can always put as much intended power into a shot as possible (I want to shoot this shot with 30% of my capable power). Then the player situation and stats will determine how well he is able to put this 30% on goal.

I have never in real life received a pass, thought "I am going to give this shot 10% since the goal is wide-open and no-one is pressuring me and I just want this shot to go on goal, and then actually bomb it 5 meters over because I was slightly off balance.

In that situation, I might misshit the ball in a way so that it gets less than 10% power and goes in a direction other than the intended (which would happen when you in real-life kick the ball on its side and not in the middle so to speak). Never have I wanted to put the ball in with 10% of my power and have it fly 5 meters over. If I want to use 10% power, I will swing my boot in a certain manner to kick it with 10% power, and it is then impossible to bomb it over no matter what you do, since the boot doesn't have enough force and speed.

In my opinion KONAMis shot-system is totally illogical and wrong in this aspect. Surely I cannot be the only one to realize this?

I can understand your frustrations with the things you mentioned. However, I can honestly tell you that I have yet to experience the unresponsiveness you mentioned to tap the ball ahead. Just for the record, the fact that I haven't experienced this doesn't mean it's not there. I have experienced some stiff and akward mechanics while defending. But, nothing I can't fix with super cancel. Having said that, I have much success taping the ball ahead to beat defenders, especially using fast and agile players such as C. Ronaldo and other quick and agile players.

As far as I'm concerned, based on the players attributes, I have had no problems with the responsiveness of my players. As expected naturally, some players with low attributes will seem more sluggish than others with high attributes in their executions. It all boils down to who you are using for that particular execution. I will not try a quick turn and dribble with Ferdinand as I would with C. Ronaldo and expect to have the same success. You have to use the right players for certain executions. And for this, you will have to familiarize yourself with your players strength's and weaknesses to better use them to your advantage properly on the pitch.

Also, you have to keep in mind one thing, anticipation. You must anticipate what your going to do with the ball before it gets to your feet. Just like you would in real life. Note, you must make the right decision based on what type of player/attributes you are controlling at that time to be successful. You have to basically know every single players weakness and strengths to know how to utilize them properly on any given situation. I anticipate everything based on what player I am controlling. If i am forced to pass with a certain player due to his weak attributes, then that's what I will do, if I can dribble or do a quick tap away based on that players attributes, then that's the direction I'll take. Anticipation is vital.

With respect to the shooting problems you mentioned, I used to have this same problems at first. I even created a thread titled "PES 6 Shooting?", where I express this concerns as well. However, after lots and lots of practice, I managed to get a grip on this new shooting system, and have no problems with it. Granted, the shooting is not perfect, and it needs to be revisited by NOKAMI to perhaps tweak it a bit more with regards to it's sensitivity. However, it's flaws do not affect me one bit since I pretty much have control of my power and placement of shots since I have adjusted to it.

Don't get me wrong, this game is far from perfect, however it's flaws are minimal compared to the grandeur of it's gameplay quality and replayability which far outshines EA's UEFA's title.

Hasta la vista, baby!
;-)

Last edited:
Konami need to take a leaf out of EA's book and start-from-scratch. It's 2007 now, not 1997. When I play UEFA you can tell a big team effort has been put into it. PES6 just felt like Seabass had made it, in a rush, in his bedroom. It feels like a demo, like an unfinished game. Yawn. I actually get excited everytime I put the UEFA disc in - it has been a breath of fresh air. Nearly owned it for 3 weeks now and I am still not bored. For once, EA have got it right; not perfect, but RIGHT.

One thing to blame is definately the PS2. It has been mostly obsolete for 2 years now. When PES5 laggs on it you know you have a problem... I mean, the ball in PES6 is hexagonal. As soon as I see it it ruins the illusion completely.

If they could just ditch the PS2 already and move on. It has already had a very long time of being up front, now it's time to move forward.

PES7 is coming for PS2. That has got to be only about the money.

I agree, fuck the PS2. It's old and shite. We don't get PES on the original Xbox and why? Because it's old and shite.

^ and thats because MS are intelligent and know this. They want the best for the 360 but unfortunately that wont happen.

PES7 will be PES6, same game engine, same graphics and a few missing extras added.. Some more of Edit Mode and a couple of stadiums....

Thats all it will be for BOTH the 360 and PS3 before anyone says the PS3 version will be better due to Blu-Ray.

Dj

Back
Top Bottom