WE9 - Post your complaints and disappointments here!

A waste my honest earned money tbh. Nothing spectacular and feels just like WE8:LE. It just feels like FIFA all over with a yearly rehash - only the roster is updated but this is pretty much useless as most aren't licensed anyway.

I guessing though that we can't expect much improvement graphically (or audibly) until the PS3 incarnation. If this is anything to go by, I don't think I'll be getting the future versions until the PS3 comes out :(

chrissy sambo said:
Does anyone know if the PS3 will be the same as PS2 in the way that to play import/copies you have to have your console chipped?

It's supposed backwards compatible so it will beabled to be chipped at some point. Not to sure about playing import PS3 games though. Hopefully they might make it universal like the PSP. But considering the lawsuits against various importers I wouldn't hold your breath. But normally when it comes to technology, where there's a will there is a way.

i was very disappointed with WE9 to start off with, but its growing on me and im starting to like it... alot... :D

brownvim said:
i was very disappointed with WE9 to start off with, but its growing on me and im starting to like it... alot... :D

Yeah thats what ive been telling a lot of people..

Two things to complain about really.

1, Lack of customization, extremely pisses me of when it comes to the PC version. Because there could almost be a limitless amount of teams, Sensible World of Soccer style. Plus I can't alter the league structure or anything, just the same old rigid master league time after time again. It grows old real quick. It doesn't feel epic enough for my liking.

2. The heading is easier in my opinion, and better, but when it comes to heading on goal I find the ball has abit too much pace. We8Le had it just right in my opinion. The ball in the game moves too fast as a whole anyway. I'd like to see options in the game similar to EA's NHL hockey games. i.e Ball friction, speed, etc, etc. Come on they're changing the game every year gameplay wise, no matter how small the changes are, so it can't be that hard to implement. Again a lack of customization options.

The game isn't really worth "buying" if you have WE8LE. It is if you have WE8 or PRO EVO 4 however since it is better than those two versions.

However though it is technically a better game than the previous ones, it's not exactly adding too much enjoyment over last years versions. Perhaps when a decent patch comes out I might think better of it.

Can't help feeling slightly disappointed in it though.

Last edited:
Heading being easier is a good thing!

Trust me, you will get to grips with the game soon.

Headings just about the same as the last version. If a players good at heading it he will nail it and if not then he'll sky it. Just feels different thats all.
Gameplays just about spot this time, nearly everything seems harder to do eg.passing, dribbling etc. The only gripe ive got with the game is once again the grass textures and colours. Really is a shoddy lazy pathetic job theyve done with them once again.

My initial impressions are :

+ Crossing and attacking crosses seems better

+ You can play a physical game without getting continually booked

+ Ball physics are very good

- It's still too slow, football is a fast game, ffs introduce a speed meter

- The AI has been changed but is still terrible, I've lost count of the number of times the
CPU pointlessly dribbles with the ball instead of passing.

- The shot power bar is WAY too sensitive

- Players do not hold their positions, I'm sick of seeing my defenders push up into attack
and my strikers deep in midfield.

Guess we'll have to wait for WE9 FE.

10 years and they still haven't got remotely close to an accurate simulation.

Okay, so just finished my 10th match. Please tell me it gets better. I can't bear to think I've finally found a version of WE I like less then the previous. They always have gotten better...but let me vent a minute.

1. Why not just relabel the chip through pass (L1 + Triangle) please pass to the keeper now. I used to be a master of the well timed chip up to my strikers. I haven't had a ball even near them yet. Even when standing on the edge of the penalty area trying to catch them in stride, the midfielder still hits the ball so it doesn't even bounce before goal, looks harder than most shots! WTF is this? Did Konami not even test the game? I'm really angry about this, they had it so right in WE8:LE, it was so gratifying picking out the run of an Owen or RVN as they spun of a defender, now its impossible with a flick.

2. Every computer team plays like Chelsea. Hehe, a little dig, but seriously. They have like 7 men in the box at all times, and for some reason the collision rate in this game is through the roof. Its almost impossible to shoot through traffic, and so far I haven't had a single deflection help me out, though I'm sure thatl'l change. This wouldn't be a huge deal if not for next complaint..

3. Chickens with heads cut off. That's how the computer plays against you. They run frantically around the pitch, bumping into you, the ball, occasionally each other...its mania out there! Plus I think Konami have just scrapped speed ratings altogether, as whenever theres a free ball in midfield the computer will get it to first, even if I have a sprint between C. Ronaldo and Cygan. Trying to string together passes is stupidly difficult sometimes, and then sometmies its not so bad. Which wouldn't be so bad if...

4. First touches are tougher to control. I'm not sure how to describe it. The animation looks nicer, but it seems as though the computer can simply come through tbe back of you and poke it away, from any situation. But when they have the ball...oh man watch as their midfielder runs circles around you. I know its a new dribbling system, so I'm eagerly awaiting when I get better and can actually turn and pass before being knocked off balance, but still, I didn't think WE8:LE was that bad in this department.

5. Crossing: I haven't had a ton of experience, since my wingers can no longer hit the ball over without it being deflected, but from what I've seen double tap circle goes near post, single circle goes far post, and there's actually no way to hit my open striker in the middle. Hopefully this is, as I said, just the few times I've managed to get past the full back and cross, which isn't often.

So looking at those complaints, I guess everything sounds as though its more realistic: harder to pass, cross, more deflections, collisions, tougher shooting etc... but to be honest its been a good few hours playing, and I'm just feeling frusrtated the whole time. Its just not as fun. THe goals I've scored are primarily when I've opened an inch of space from outside the box and slammed something into a corner. Not my finely crafted through balls onto a beautiful half volley. Maybe it takes a few more games, but at the moment for me this whole more realistic isn't more fun at all. And in the end, isn't that what this should be about?

Oh and please don't resopnd 'well go back to FIFA/WE8' cause I really loved every other WE i've played, just am not enjoying this one...yet...

beachryan said:
I can't bear to think I've finally found a version of WE I like less then the previous. They always have gotten better..

You are not the only one who thinks the same; this game is actually the worst in the series since it began in 1995

The worrying thing I find reading some of these posts is that most of you wanted the same as the previos game but with added features. Now when I look for a new release to progress a series, I hope for a new game. Yes the new game is harder, even frustrating at times. But I remember when I first played early ISS when before all I had was Fifa. After one game I was frustrated playing against a mate. Nothing went right for me. Tackling was impossible without a foul, every shot was skyed.

As I learnt how the game was actually working, as a simulation of the sport rather than just an arcade bash. I realised I was missing shots because my players body positon was wrong/off-balance. I worked out that I was ignoring an opponents player and just running after the ball, hence hitting the player. I'm sure everybody that's played these games had that moment when they realised they'd been playing games before. This is the closest thing to the real sport.

I realise this post seems to be getting a little side-tracked, I apologise for the rant. But it's very late at night as I just finished my first season of ML and felt I needed to stop and do something else. Hoping that I will decide to go to sleep after, rather than heading back in to do summer transfers and get that young french midfielder who looks amazing (maybe a platini regen).

My point for this post is that through that first season, I had so many times I was frustrated with my lack of control and fouls aplenty. But you have to realise this is because they've wanted to improve the simulation. The more accurate you have to be to do something perfectly, means there's many more iterations of not quite there's (bad sentence I know). Real football isn't about perfect of not. It's about being a bit better (or a lot better at times). I feel the changes they've made have improved the series no end. I want to perfect the game as I have wanted in previous games. I mean, I managed to score a volley through a crowd of players to beat the goalie at the near post because he was blind-sighted. The volley was sliced a bit into the ground and wasn't caught with too much power ( Traore the lanky left back got his 2nd ever goal for liverpool :-) ). It seemed so much more real than the endless perfect chips and volleys from before.

I'd better stop typing and let you guys blast back at me or else no-one will actually read this post since it's too long already :-)

Oh one last thing, it took winning the Champions League for KCET to realise how good Gerrard is and stat him as such :-). Just as in the real world, he was the heart and sole of my liverpool team and was my top player/assists/second top scorer.

Before the game was released, I was crawling thru the forums and reading every morsel of info about the game, just like many otheres here.

I remember readig some of the translated interviews with Seabass. Among the things I distinctly remember and was waiting to try out were:

1. Shooting will be more realistic. More missed chances, and shots off the woodwork.
2. PLayers will move off the ball more, i.e (auto super cancel). NEed to manually position players to intercept passes and for shooting/heading.

Now, based on the above, and my observations after a few quality hours with the game, i have noticed this.

1a) Konami have somewhat implemented shooting inaccuracy by tweaking the shot meter to fill very quickly. Therefore if you're used to the timing of WE8 series, you'll most likely baloon shots. (In WE:LE you could hold :square: much longer).Need to train your thumbs to get the quick press, as in WE6/7 again.
Also in some situations using a normal shot will always hit the post. Therefore from certain angles, you are forced to use the new :r2: + :square: shooting. I don't know if this is good or bad,as I have not spent enough time with the game to come to a concrete conclusion. But I did score a 30yrd cracker with Ronaldo,using the ctrld shot which IMO was unrealistic.

I was running straight at the left post, pulled off the R2 shot without changing direction/Body shape into the top right corner. Animation looked off; as if he kicked at a 45 deg angle without opening/shifting the waist. At otehr times it looked great from a more central position.

Has anyone else experienced something like this.

2a) Player off the ball movement and interceptions a-la 'Super cancel' are now great. Especially gratifying is the holding of the DF animation to receive the ball with back to goal. Sometimes due to this, you find your foramtions quite messed up when defending. Also Konami have put in too many default arrows in the formations.

However I did feel there was a bit of over-scripting, and at times you felt that you're not really in control (although I must say the resulting mvement looks great). There was one instance, where my player trapped a ball on his chest and it bounced up higher than usuual. He then proceeded to juggle with his head a few times, before bringing it down on to his foot and taking off. (only saw it onece, but it was jaw dropping).

My fear has always been that WE will oneday turn into FIFA to appeal to the mass pick-up and play crowd. Lets hope thats not the case here.

I need to really spend more time with this new version to decide.

Cheers.

Exactly like i feel it's somthing between pro 4 to fifa 2003.
I agree with what u had said.

I'm sorry but does anyone else find this game rediculously easy?
I mean scoring from like 30 yards three times in a game is rediculous otherwise it's pretty good!

doctor said:
I'm sorry but does anyone else find this game rediculously easy?
I mean scoring from like 30 yards three times in a game is rediculous otherwise it's pretty good!

i think its ridiculous, because it happened to me today with Adriano, he scored 3 goals just from shooting outside the box

The Unspeakable Pain said:
i think its ridiculous, because it happened to me today with Adriano, he scored 3 goals just from shooting outside the box
what difficulty level?

jiwa said:
Before the game was released, I was crawling thru the forums and reading every morsel of info about the game, just like many otheres here.

I remember readig some of the translated interviews with Seabass. Among the things I distinctly remember and was waiting to try out were:

1. Shooting will be more realistic. More missed chances, and shots off the woodwork.
2. PLayers will move off the ball more, i.e (auto super cancel). NEed to manually position players to intercept passes and for shooting/heading.

Now, based on the above, and my observations after a few quality hours with the game, i have noticed this.

1a) Konami have somewhat implemented shooting inaccuracy by tweaking the shot meter to fill very quickly. Therefore if you're used to the timing of WE8 series, you'll most likely baloon shots. (In WE:LE you could hold :square: much longer).Need to train your thumbs to get the quick press, as in WE6/7 again.
Also in some situations using a normal shot will always hit the post. Therefore from certain angles, you are forced to use the new :r2: + :square: shooting. I don't know if this is good or bad,as I have not spent enough time with the game to come to a concrete conclusion. But I did score a 30yrd cracker with Ronaldo,using the ctrld shot which IMO was unrealistic.

I was running straight at the left post, pulled off the R2 shot without changing direction/Body shape into the top right corner. Animation looked off; as if he kicked at a 45 deg angle without opening/shifting the waist. At otehr times it looked great from a more central position.

Has anyone else experienced something like this.

2a) Player off the ball movement and interceptions a-la 'Super cancel' are now great. Especially gratifying is the holding of the DF animation to receive the ball with back to goal. Sometimes due to this, you find your foramtions quite messed up when defending. Also Konami have put in too many default arrows in the formations.

However I did feel there was a bit of over-scripting, and at times you felt that you're not really in control (although I must say the resulting mvement looks great). There was one instance, where my player trapped a ball on his chest and it bounced up higher than usuual. He then proceeded to juggle with his head a few times, before bringing it down on to his foot and taking off. (only saw it onece, but it was jaw dropping).

My fear has always been that WE will oneday turn into FIFA to appeal to the mass pick-up and play crowd. Lets hope thats not the case here.

I need to really spend more time with this new version to decide.

Cheers.

Excellent post mate!

I agree with you from playing the game for hours that the shooting did change for the worse in my opinion. This is precisely one of the reasons why I went back to WE8LWE. The shooting in WE8LWE is perfect to me, and the timing itself feels just right when applying power to the shot.

Everything you mentioned from the sometimes unrealistic R2 shooting due to the players ackward body positioning, to the disturbing interruptions that seem endless when the CPU is substituting players, and not to mention the 30 to 35 meter crackers that you pull off more than 2 times a game. This version to me has too many flaws to enjoy which is why WE8LWE is taking it's place in my PS2 currently.

If they only would have left the shooting alone, among other things, it would of been a different story.

I'm just glad to have WE8LWE to resort to in this situations.

Every year is the same story...A lot of complaints about shooting and other stuff..Give it some time..We9 is the best football sim definetly..

I have really only one complain, the fucking fouls, it is ridiculous beyond belief!!

I am away to shoot then I just get thrown off the ball and piss all happens, yet when I even touch them its a freekick or advantage, it is bloody atrocious. Half the time I go through the player to win the ball with a lide tackle and the CPU thinks this is ok?..yet when I WALK into them then the CPU believes this is a foul?

I dont get this game, they always have to add one pile of shit aspect of the game that ruins it, its like they do it on purpose so we keep buying the next series hoping for perfection.

I wouldnt mind if the fouls were the same for both teams, but as I said I just get thrown off the ball and nothing happens, it is a joke really.

kingpug said:
I dont get this game, they always have to add one pile of shit aspect of the game that ruins it, its like they do it on purpose so we keep buying the next series hoping for perfection.

Not that a farfetched statment, its a conspiracy! :lmao:

Its seems that many more people are discouraged with this version of Winning Eleven compared to WE8LE. Is this par for the course for Winning Eleven games or did Konami try too many changes?

Common grievances:

+ the auto sidestep (especially for analog users)

+ no zoom on wide camera

+ cpu defenders buching up in penaltly box

+ :l1: + :triangle: not as effective. Almost useless. Better to use :circle: or manual pass.

+ triple :circle: cross too bouncy and off target

+ human controlled players suddenly shifting away from attacker as you gain control of them - example: cpu passes ball to the right and you press :l1: to gain control of nearest defender. Suddenly he jerks to the left then you press right to recover, but the pass is received and the man is unmarked. It doesn't happen often, but when it leads to a goal... :mad:

+ attackers moving way out of the play to avoid offsides call - example: I was trying to set up Henry for a goal, but he was slightly offside. Instead of moving back slightly or allowing the defense to catch up to him, he suddenly sprints 10 meters the other way. It looks funny, but definitely costs goal scoring opportunities.

+ shooting not as precise as WE8LE. By precise I mean timing of :square: meter, change in lob shot. Just feels off.

+ abundance of fouls. I myself haven't notice much of a difference compared to WE8LE. Maybe, I dont play as agressive. I tend to just ride the defender slightly, timing when I press :x:, :circle:, or :square:.

+ players slide tackling glitch - in once instance the cpu's straight leg slide across pitch several feet before he went into the slide tackle, then part of his body and arm disappeared below the grass.

+ harder to jostle for headers. I admit that it was way easy in WE8LE, especially using R2, but I don't feel in control battling for headers.

+ too many shots hitting the crossbar and posts (both human and cpu). It looks cool, I'll give it that. I rarely see that many in real soccer matches.

+ overall, the game just has this elusive "different" feel to it. And not the type of "different" that I know I could adapt to. I hope i'm wrong.

I could probably list more, especially with more game time, but I think people get the gist.

WE9 does have some great features, but the imbalances in gameplay hurt it. I know i could grow to like this game, however I'm not sure if I can overcome the auto sidestep and no zoom widecam. It's a shame because the game did make progress in many areas. Maybe with a great patch I can be converted. I'm hoping that Konami fuses WE8LE and WE9 together to create WE9 Final Evolution. That would be a phenomenal game. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Last edited:
Golden Go@l said:
Its seems that many more people are discouraged with this version of Winning Eleven compared to WE8LE. Is this par for the course for Winning Eleven games or did Konami try too many changes?

Common grievances:

+ the auto sidestep (especially for analog users)

+ no zoom on wide camera

+ cpu defenders buching up in penaltly box

+ :l1: + :triangle: not as effective. Almost useless. Better to use :circle: or manual pass.

+ triple :circle: cross too bouncy and off target

+ human controlled players suddenly shifting away from attacker as you gain control of them - example: cpu passes ball to the right and you press :l1: to gain control of nearest defender. Suddenly he jerks to the left then you press right to recover, but the pass is received and the man is unmarked. It doesn't happen often, but when it leads to a goal... :mad:

+ shooting not as precise as WE8LE. By precise I mean timing of :square: meter, change in lob shot. Just feels off.

+ players slide tackling glitch - in once instance the cpu's straight leg slide across pitch several feet before he went into the slide tackle, then part of his body and arm disappeared below the grass.

+ harder to jostle for headers. I admit that it was way easy in WE8LE, especially using R2, but I don't feel in control battling for headers.

+ too many shots hitting the crossbar and posts (both human and cpu). It looks cool, I'll give it that. I rarely see that many in real soccer matches.

+ overall, the game just has this elusive "different" feel to it. And not the type of "different" that I know I could adapt to. I hope i'm wrong.

WE9 does have some great features, but the imbalances in gameplay hurt it. I know i could grow to like this game, however I'm not sure if I can overcome the auto sidestep and no zoom widecam. It's a shame because the game did make progress in many areas. Maybe with a great patch I can be converted. I'm hoping that Konami fuses WE8LE and WE9 together to create WE9 Final Evolution. That would be a phenomenal game. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

thats totaly correct, after hours o playing i can say one Thing:

Very unbalanced Gameplay, the king is we8LE!!!!

Golden Go@l said:
Its seems that many more people are discouraged with this version of Winning Eleven compared to WE8LE.

Nah, I wouldn't agree with that. Compared to all WE versions released within the last two years, WE9 still got the best feedback out of all those previous installments.

Sulph said:
Are you serious? Long shots maybe, if they give you space, but otherwise, not at all!

True thats why i love have only won a few games with more than 3 goals

I can't believe it.. every year Konami does something fucking annoying with the game.

1: You can only have 50 badges/flags in an option file (last year it was 64, which wasn't even enough)

2: It doesn't look like it is possible to patch the unlicensed kits

3: The arrangement of teams in the unlicensed leages.. they aren't in alphabetical order like they should be and was last year. oh god :(

4: Konami has always been far away from certain other soccer games concerning the amount of teams. This year I noticed there are six new teams. Sao Paulo, Santos, Fenerbahce, Shakhtar Donetsk, Ivory Coast, Venezuela. I thought ok it's better than nothing. But that was before I realized Egypt, Jamaica, Spartak Moscow, Cruzeiro, AEK Athens and Partizan are GONE.. they have dissapeared.. WHAT IS WRONG WITH KONAMI :( :( :( :(

Back
Top Bottom