WE9 Class - Dribbling Past Defenders 101

indeed fatman, me too. ive never used the r2 sidestep. ive played the series from the early days and never really accomodated it as i just thought the animation looked unrealistic and crap. oh well im just gonna have to get used to it, still feel for filthydani though.

BK_83 said:
hey,.... does anyone know how to disable c.ronaldo's elastico? coz he doesnt do tat in real life, he is the stepover king!

are you kiddin? he does do it in rl if he got an opportunity :]

how to disable elastico? I think it's chained with dribble style and/or high technique/dribble/both foot feint stats

Last edited:
hey guys could you please help me? i have winning elven 7 and 8 and PES 1 2 3 4 and in winning elven 8 and pes 4 i could really play the game on level 6 i liked it, i love this game, now i have winning elven 9 and i love it too but sometimes when i walk with the players i think i don't really have control over them, it's really hard to control them for me, in winning eleven 8 and pes 4 i could really walk through the whole defense even on level 6 but here........i don't know what i can do, please give me some tipps how i can walk good through the defense (sorry for my english)

fox17 said:
hey guys could you please help me? i have winning elven 7 and 8 and PES 1 2 3 4 and in winning elven 8 and pes 4 i could really play the game on level 6 i liked it, i love this game, now i have winning elven 9 and i love it too but sometimes when i walk with the players i think i don't really have control over them, it's really hard to control them for me, in winning eleven 8 and pes 4 i could really walk through the whole defense even on level 6 but here........i don't know what i can do, please give me some tipps how i can walk good through the defense (sorry for my english)

heh, i know what you mean...
but it's a diffrent game now, so u must learn from basics.
go to trainig and train.
then play. and you gonna learn in (no) time.
that's only way to learn how to win again.
be patient.

shot feints and cross feints, if pulled off well can create space for a golden opportunity.

also let the ball run between your legs and run after it, also baffles the defenders.

i was on fire last night with portsmouth, when i had my grove on, i was untouchable

kevano22 said:
shot feints and cross feints, if pulled off well can create space for a golden opportunity.

also let the ball run between your legs and run after it, also baffles the defenders.

i was on fire last night with portsmouth, when i had my grove on, i was untouchable

Yeah, shot feints are good. I did one with Henry on left corner of penalty box, causing two defenders, one on my left and one on my right, to slide in front of me, their feet touching as I ran between. Then another defender came from my right as I continued forward toward goal. I quickly cut right - without doing a sidestep, yaaay - and he over ran me. The goalie came out a bit, still covering the left post. As I shot he did the splits, sweeping his right leg to block a low kick to the left post. Henry, however, placed a sweet, controlled shot right over the keeper's head. Damn, I wish I had equipment to upload this goal. :)

Letting the ball run between your legs is nice. I passed to Pires from directly behind. As the ball approached, he jumped, allowing it to pass beneath him.

Last edited:
kevano22 said:

how do you do that? Never needed it before?
And how do you do the CR elastico? :applause:

useful dribble (with tricky player like Quaresma,Zlatan,or else) :
dash with :r1: ,add stepovers 2x :l1: then press :r1: once more to dash away ( you can release the ball further by tapping forward,forward or :r1: 2x ) then when defender is close cut 90 degrees and you can dash ahead (unless defender is called Paolo Maldini :) )

as for other dribbles I find handy drop shoulders,both foot feint, all those little turns apart from 180degree turn ,defender must 'catch a fish' if you want to go past him

you can also let the ball run when receiving a pass, you do it with supercancel :r1: + :r2: ; same goes for long balls, you can let it bounce instead of traping to pass the defence

dash with :r1: then tap up,up or down,down quickly to set yourself in better position

:r1: when receiving through pass - player will jump over the ball , you can chase it which is nice move to gain some space

:r1: when receiving a pass (you must stand still) - player will let the ball run between his legs ; nice move for combinations near the box

:r2: when receiving a ball, player will trap it better

360 roulette (do a 360 turn on right analog stick) is still useful with likes of Zizou or other Wizards :colours:, but provokes fouls

winning11 said:
And how do you do the CR elastico?
3x :r2: or 3x :l1:

Last edited:
when the ball is close to your player tap :r1: once and nothing else (release directional buttons)

filthydani said:
I hate using the side steps every time to dribble, there are a lot of situations you don't need to do sides steps at all, i think they did that just because people can play the game with the fucking PSP that doesn't have 4 shoulder buttons like the PS2 controller…

So Konami did the new dribbling system just because people go buy more PSPs and get more fucking money, they didn't remove the old system because IT WASNT REALISTIC AS PEOPLE THINK!

Mate, I HATED reading your negative comments while I was waiting for the game. At that moment, you were probably the only one in this website going OFF at it and I honestly thought you were a FIFA fan or something like that just trying to put the game down. Now after playing WE9 for three nights I've got to admit it: You were on the money my friend. Winning Eleven 9 is not a PS2 game but a PSP one. They've modified the gameplay affecting the dribbling to suit the PSP. This, plus a slightly improved AI, results in less control of the players which contributes to the game to look and feel more realistic. In my opinion that is exactly what Konami wanted. They've created a "must have" game for the PSP while they provide us with an extra year of challenging gameplay. C'mon guys, how many more PS2s are they gonna sell before the next gen of consoles comes out? Hey, don't expect PES5 to be any different.
Realistic? Better don't go there. Paolo Maldini nailing a 40 yard cracker into the top left angle? What is it with these long range missiles being pulled out by some players that in real life wouldn't kick a fu_king ballon? Anyway, this is a different subject.
Nevertheless and because I love this game so much, I'll keep playing it until WE10 and PES6 come which in my view will be going back to the old dribbling system. Only time will tell.

pepe montoto said:
Mate, I HATED reading your negative comments while I was waiting for the game. At that moment, you were probably the only one in this website going OFF at it and I honestly thought you were a FIFA fan or something like that just trying to put the game down. Now after playing WE9 for three nights I've got to admit it: You were on the money my friend. Winning Eleven 9 is not a PS2 game but a PSP one. They've modified the gameplay affecting the dribbling to suit the PSP. This, plus a slightly improved AI, results in less control of the players which contributes to the game to look and feel more realistic. In my opinion that is exactly what Konami wanted. They've created a "must have" game for the PSP while they provide us with an extra year of challenging gameplay. C'mon guys, how many more PS2s are they gonna sell before the next gen of consoles comes out? Hey, don't expect PES5 to be any different.
Realistic? Better don't go there. Paolo Maldini nailing a 40 yard cracker into the top left angle? What is it with these long range missiles being pulled out by some players that in real life wouldn't kick a fu_king ballon? Anyway, this is a different subject.
Nevertheless and because I love this game so much, I'll keep playing it until WE10 and PES6 come which in my view will be going back to the old dribbling system. Only time will tell.

Good take man. In part I do agree with you on some stuff. I've just put in a few quality hours of WE9 over the weekend myself. At times, I was estactic , otehr times frustated. I'm waiting to put in more hours and hopefully try to re-learn some of the basics again,before I finalise my opinion.

Anyway, I feel if we learn to adapt, even the auto sidestep issue can be overcome. useing the R1 (Stop) and then cutting does cahnge the dribbling dynamic.

Chhers.

Hi there,
Played we8LE to death, and found it quite easy to beat a man one on one.. well most times.. but i think ive found the secret for we9.. well.. just a way that makes things easy to beat defenders that are running at you.

I tried it out yesterday by accident, but everytime a defender came close.. id slow down, let go fo the stick.. and use R1 to stop the ball... as soon as the defender arrives.. move left or right of the the defender..and u can get around him. Please someone give this a go, and let me know how it goes for ya.. really works. Basically dont run full pelt all the time.. i used to get in this trap alot..where id get the ball..and just sprint around...
but the secret is slowing down.. this ofcourse is very realistic.. if u see players trying to get pass someone, they usually slow down .. and stop the ball.. and go one of 2 ways.. only the really good/fast dribblers eg. rondaldo, giggs, etc, take on peeps while running quite quickly..

so yeah.. try the slowing down,and R1 trap.. and go around the player.. and then sprint when you have space.

btw.. the shot feint is great also.. as is the 360 with a good player :)
cheers,
steve

I find dribbling the easiest part of the game, its crossing i have problems with. 99% of the goals i score are on the ground or long shots, not headers.

kevano22 said:
http://www.directcontact.org.uk/videos/we9/VeronMAGIC.avi

i had to show this again lol

Stuff like this makes WE9 special. I put it through his goddamn legs

And Veron basicly ran rigth THROUGH the defender as well...lame...This is exactly why I dont like the sorts of tricks that are implented nowadays. NO, these tricks takes no skill or timing. If they did, then veron would be on his bum after losing his balance when colliding that defender.

Already started considering tricks of all sorts here cheating :) except the good ol regular step-overs :) Damn those stupid auto moves though...

Back
Top Bottom