Way to fix a USB?

Radiation

Golden Boot Winner
6 February 2006
Widnes
Newcastle United
2 of the USB slots on the front of my tower have just suddenly stopped working this morning. They were fine last night, today nothing.

If I plug my usb pen into either nothing happens, but if I plug it into the 3rd one higher up on the tower next it works fine. It's the same with my phone, camera, joypads etc...

Anyone know what might have happened and what you can do to give them a kick to work again?

The ones on the front are normally connected to the motherboard by a cable or two so I'd open the case up if possible and just check to see if they've come loose.

Hello Friend,
Reading about your problem I think the USB port of your tower have got corrupt...and they need to be replaced....It can be done by any hardware mechanic....

I'd suggest you to open the case and (as Mart said) check if they're perhaps just loose..
Then, if they are connected OK but still don't work, try connecting the USB cable that leads to the ports that don't work anymore to a different USB header on your motherboard. To do so, just try to find out if there's another free USB header on your motherboard to connect that cable to (refer to your motherboard's user guide for that, they usually have 9 pins anyway) and connect the cable to it. The cable will fit only when put in the "right" direction, so there's no way that you can connect it wrong..

Then, if changing the motherboard header the cable is connected to still doesn't solve the issue, you may start thinking that either the USB cable is damaged or the USB ports have something wrong..

Thanks for the help with this. Went to pop the case off the other day to see what was going on and spotted the warranty stickers all over. So I now have to find the warranty forms to see if it's covered still. I don't want to void that just foe the sake of 2 usb holes when 1 on the front and the bunch round the back work fine.

Thanks again though.

Back
Top Bottom