Vista or Xp and Which Graphics Card?

alvin01

Non-League
30 August 2006
Hi Everyone

I'm shopping for a notebook and one of the criteria is it must be able to play PES 6 decently. Two questions spring to mind:-

1. Should I go for Vista or stick with Xp (which getting more difficult as most new units come preloaded with Vista)? Does PES 6 run in Vista? Has anyone tried?

2. One of the notebooks within my budget is the Dell Inspiron 6400 (Intel Core Duo or Core 2 Duo, 1 to 2GB ram, 15.4" XWGA) and it has graphics card upgrade options to either ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (HyperMemory up to 256MB) or NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 (TurboCache up to 256MB). Which performs better for PES 6? I'm puzzled because 7300 costs slightly more but is rated lower than the X1400 on the Mobile Graphics Card - Benchmark List website (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...st.844.0.html).

I would be most grateful for advice on the above.

Cheers

Alvin

Last edited:
PES6 runs in Vista but at the moment I wish I hadn't upgraded to Vista. In Windows 98 I had crashes every week, in Windows XP it was a crash every few months and in Windows Vista I've seen four crashes this week, it's like they've gone backwards.

Plus there's the fact that half your programs will work, the other half won't. It's a shame because there are some brilliant features - for example, if you want something printing four times on a page you can just right-click and click on a special submenu that does it in two seconds - and if you'd like to see the future then Vista is great in that respect. But it's not reliable - I've lost a few files already due to a virus and the crashes (I had one virus on XP, I've had three on Vista already).

Some games will be Vista-only though, such as the new Halo, so it's up to you to choose at the end of the day.

That's what I'm afraid of really. Besides PES 6, I might want to put in a few other games and compatibility might be an issue. At the moment, I feel more inclined to remain with Xp.

By the way, any advice on the graphics card option?

All I can say with regards to the graphics card is that I would trust Notebookcheck - their information is usually spot on. Bear in mind that if a card is slightly more/less expensive than another, it's not just down to performance, it could be that the company likes to overcharge/undercharge. The benchmarks are the most important thing (and if the card is compatible with the game(s) you want to play, of course).

EDIT: I should have also mentioned that PES6 seems to run fine on Vista, but not on Vista x64. Unfortunately there's even more programs incompatible with Vista x64 than there are with the normal Vista, and having a dual-core system I felt that I had no choice but to get Vista x64 (otherwise half of my system's power wouldn't be used, which is ridiculous). So yeah, there's more than a few programs I'm missing (if I could press a "restore to XP" button I would).

Last edited:
What is your budget? Also, if you want to play any of the lastest games you would need a mid range card at least(class 2 on notebookcheck)!!

Budget is low as indicated by the Dell Inspiron 6400 price range. Just want a multi-purpose notebook for home use. Not expecting the performance of gaming machines as I'm not really into gaming save for something like PES 6. As long as PES 6 can be played without having to tear my hair out, I'll be happy.

Budget is low as indicated by the Dell Inspiron 6400 price range. Just want a multi-purpose notebook for home use. Not expecting the performance of gaming machines as I'm not really into gaming save for something like PES 6. As long as PES 6 can be played without having to tear my hair out, I'll be happy.

Are you talking about the £599 one? if so, I think you might be able to find a better 1 for the same price. I'll have a look!

Sorry mate, I'm writing from Singapore so you shouldn't take the trouble to look for alternatives as what you can find may not be available here.

Appreciate the thought always.

Are you talking about the £599 one? if so, I think you might be able to find a better 1 for the same price. I'll have a look!

Oh ok...
You shoudl get Xp I think. And i would go for the ATi X1400. Yous could always overclock the card a little to give you better frame rates!! (look for ati tray tools on google)

I can still play PES6 on my notebook!
1.6 Ghz centrino
1.25GB ram:8):
ATi mobility radeon 9700 128mb!
2yrs old

Thanks guys.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards Xp and X1400. There's a PC fair later this month. Hopefully, I'll be able to snap up a good deal then.

Cheers

Alvin

Vista runs it well for me, kitserver works every time. My laptop never crashes or is slower than xp was.
Also its widescreen and with kitserver i see an extra inch of the pitch side to side. Its great! You should definitely think widescreen.
I've got 17", Vista, Geforce go 7950GTX

Youd shoudl wait maybe a month or two until Centrino "Santa Rosa" comes out, doubt you would know what that is, just Search on google to find out.

Basically :

Wireless A,B,G,N
800Mhz FSB core Duo 2
DX10 graphic cards
Better battery life

so either you could wait and get the new stuff in a month or two or you could wait for the price of the older centrinos to drop!!:)

Thanks but I'm not looking for cutting edge stuff. The more attractively price options currently will do.

Cheers

Alvin

do all you that have vista

which 1 do u have 32bit or 64bit

because on my vista PGM manger seems not to wor

and which one is better 32bit or 64bit

does anyone else have to program files i have program files and program files x84. and i have vista 64bit im i meant to have 32bit. can any one help me

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

Just thought I'd round off this thread with an update (yes, it's over 2 months since I first asked for advice here).

Having reviewed the various comments, I decided to go for the Dell Inspiron 6400 with ATI x1400 running on Xp. Wanted to look out for good deals at a local PC fair end May 07 but it turned out Dell ran out of x1400 and the GeForce 7300 option doubled in price. Wasn't about to be held to ransom so I passed and waited. And waited. Until I ran out of options for Xp. Most other brands don't even offer Xp - the only alternative was a Toshiba Satellite A100 but that was almost 40% beyond my budget.

So I was stuck with Vista and ended up with the new Dell Inspiron 1520 - T7300 processor, 2GB ram and Geforce 8600 GT. Fairly good specs I thought for the price but it did bust my budget somewhat.

But here's the rub - now I have to contend with tearing/v-sync issues and problems with Kitserver when running PES 6, all attributable to Vista apparently.

Just my luck I suppose.

Cheers

Alvin

Hi gr@h@m

Just curious, have you experienced an tearing problems running PES 6 on Vista? I've trawled through the threads in this forum and it seems to be a common problem for those running Vista.

Also, how do you get to run PES 6 on a widescreen mode? I have only one of two options:-

1. run it under the laptop's native widescreen resolution - the whole screen if filled but the image gets stretched horizontally and the players look fat; or
2. scale the image but retain the original aspect ratio - the players look normal but I get 2 black bars on either side of the screen.

Regards

Alvin

Vista runs it well for me, kitserver works every time. My laptop never crashes or is slower than xp was.
Also its widescreen and with kitserver i see an extra inch of the pitch side to side. Its great! You should definitely think widescreen.
I've got 17", Vista, Geforce go 7950GTX

I installed Vista and it would crash my pc. I would get crashing error messages. So, I unistalled it and reinstall XP. Now it works fine with my E6600 OC @ 3.1, 8800GTS 640MB and ASUS P5E SLI.

Like people mention before, wait until Service Pack 1 (SP1) comes out.

i was wondering if i could play pes 6 on my laptop.. its a dell
latitude D830 brand new.. windows xp sp2..256MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 140M graphics card...

Hi gr@h@m

Just curious, have you experienced an tearing problems running PES 6 on Vista? I've trawled through the threads in this forum and it seems to be a common problem for those running Vista.

Also, how do you get to run PES 6 on a widescreen mode? I have only one of two options:-

1. run it under the laptop's native widescreen resolution - the whole screen if filled but the image gets stretched horizontally and the players look fat; or
2. scale the image but retain the original aspect ratio - the players look normal but I get 2 black bars on either side of the screen.

Regards

Alvin

The Vista Tearing is due to using a nvidia grahics card.

Ive tried everything to fix it on my pc , nothing does so you either live with it or go back to XP which i did. Iis a driver issue with nvidia and vista , not really supporting vertical sync.

AFAIK ATI cards dont suffer from this problem , so it is an Nvidia issue which Im not sure has been addressed. If it has then brilliant , I will go back to Vista as it is really a very nice OS.

As for your widescreen thing , you need kitserver. If you have a widescreen lcd or crt(I have both) , it will scale properly and give you an extra field of view.

Thanks for your comments.

I've since gotten Kitserver to work - my apologies for not having updated this thread. The problem was PES6.exe was in "read only" mode, so once I unclicked that option, Kitserver (version 6.5.3) was able to run. I also checked the box on widescreen correction in the LOD mixer. With that, I'm now able to run PES6 in true widescreeen mode.

The screen tearing however remains an issue. I've downloaded and installed updated Nvidia drivers (version 162.22 from www.laptopvideo2go.com) but that didn't help.

Still hoping someone out there is working to fix this.

The Vista Tearing is due to using a nvidia grahics card.

Ive tried everything to fix it on my pc , nothing does so you either live with it or go back to XP which i did. Iis a driver issue with nvidia and vista , not really supporting vertical sync.

AFAIK ATI cards dont suffer from this problem , so it is an Nvidia issue which Im not sure has been addressed. If it has then brilliant , I will go back to Vista as it is really a very nice OS.

As for your widescreen thing , you need kitserver. If you have a widescreen lcd or crt(I have both) , it will scale properly and give you an extra field of view.

i was wondering if i could play pes 6 on my laptop.. its a dell
latitude D830 brand new.. windows xp sp2..256MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 140M graphics card... would it work??

I bought Dell Inspiron 6400 with ATI X1400 and installed Windows XP (I hate Vista at the moment, maybe someday...)
Splinter Cell Double Agent is playable at the lowest settings with no problems
but PES6 runs like shit :shock:
On lowest resulution I got about 30-40fps! (who played PES on low specs pc knows that playing below at anything below stable 60fps is a masochism)
My old PC with Radeon 9600Pro runs game on high settings at 55-60fps

WTF?
Anyone had similar problem?

Drivers are new, Catalyst 6.4 based and as I said Double Agent runs like it should - about the same as on my another PC with GF 6600...

The v-sync issue is a Vista one, not nVidia. My ATI x1950xt has the same problem with the new OS and I suspect it is a permanent one. Hopefully, the new PES will have the option to force v-sync on in-game.

I have no tearing issue using my 8800GTS on Vista. Make sure you download the latest driver and also the right one. I'm currently using NVIDIA Control Panel 1.4.16.02. Now there's an option to actually force settings on programs. This includes V-sync. By default most would have it as "Use the 3D Application Setting". You can set it as force on. And under the programs setting tab, you can also edit different programs individually, if you have a particular setting specifically for that program.

@chelski8 - Yes your laptop gfx card would be able to run PES6.

Hey everybody thought this would be an ok place to post this instead of making a new thread. Basically I'm asking whether you think PES6 would work fine on my system from the basic specs given:

VISTA 32 bit
Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13Ghz
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

I don't know much about computers so just asking ahead before I get the game and waste time/money/what have you.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom