Uni choices in UK

Abhishek

Best player in the world
29 January 2006
India
Liverpool
Hey guys

Doing my last year of high school, and one option for me is to come to UK for my undergrad.

I want to do Economics, or something similar like Industrial Economics, or International Relations & Economics. Basically, I want a versatile degree (and engineering is NOT for me).

Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL are out of the question as they all require a foundation program which involves one year in a uni.

I'll be applying to Warwick, which is considered the best after the unis mentioned above. Probably Nottingham as well.

After that though, I need 3 more unis for my UCAS. Obviously, ones with a good rep, but also with a decent social/night life. Nottingham is obviously famous for it's night life, and I've heard Warwick is getting the biggest SU in UK this year, so not a problem there. I'd prefer a campus uni, just for getting the feel of uni life.

Thanks in advance.

What should be my other 3? I'm also looking for a flexible course, so that I can add optional modules to broaden my skill set, and obviously, good facilities for sport, and good social life.

My sister's boyfriend just finished at Nottingham and he really liked it, tried to get a job to stay there so it must be good. I think my uncle went to Warwick too (about 10 years ago though) and he loved it there.

What are your grades?

80%ish (no grades here). I'll probably be predicted 90+ for most of my subjects in the boards (equivalent to A Levels), and I'll probably get an offer based on the securing 85% in Maths and English.

I'm currently doing a Network Computing National Diploma (A Levels) but don't want to continue Networking at Uni yet enjoy the Computer Hardware side.

I'm Considering Computer Games Design/Technology as a degree, What are the chances of me finding a Job in a field like that?

What other alternative Computing degree's could any of you recommend for me

Hoping for a MMM or DMM (Which is about 240/260 UCAS Points).

Cheers :)) BTW Matherto you going UOM or MMU?

MMU hopefully YG, I dicked about too much with my A Levels to get enough points to do something at UoM, or most places...Damn trips to Tesco! (Went from all A/B at GCSE to D/E and U's at AS/A Level.)

Just need to get my UCAS sent off, but of course that requires being arsed about the personal statement. Anyone know how long they've gotta be, 'cause it's been two years since I did my first and I can't remember anymore.

My mates doing Computer Games Design at UCLAN at the minute, and so far he said he's done nothing to do with games at all, so he's not enjoying it. Presumerably you'd get to do stuff more intensively in the second/third year though.

As far as finding, I know the games industry is rediculously tough to get into, but I imagine if you get a good degree and are pro-active in finding opportunities then you'd be alright.

Also, if you came up and studied in Manc/Liverpool/somewhere near here, you've got Sony's Liverpool Studio that you could ask about temporary jobs whilst you're studying, dunno if it'd work but it's a start eh?

What is it you want to do in computing? Programmer? Graphics design? Sound?

Make sure you do something you really want. I did my undergrad in Business Management because a) I thought it would make me more well rounded and get me a job b) I didn't really know what I wanted to do and c) University of London is a good name to have on a degree. Towards the end of my 2nd year and during my 3rd year I got very bored and disappointed with my choice to do this subject....I hated it so much and it didn't really help me that much in finding a job.

Thank god for my masters I was able to choose something I really really want to do, and work in - I study Branding at Goldsmiths (an artsy London Uni) and I love it to bits. It also helped me realize what I really want to do after education - Branding!!!

Basically my point is that you should focus on what you want to really really do first, then look at what can get you employed after. More and more people are getting degrees these days, so getting a degree for employability might always work anymore, you need things like experience and personality which you can do on your own.

Anyway, good luck:)

Gonna hopefully do Computer Science, although it will require my General Studies AS being accepted as well, since I was a twat in my first year for not properly revising for my exams.

But it doesn't really bother me too much, as long as I can get the course I want, the Uni I go to is pretty irrelevant.

I'm starting Computer Science at Open Uni in February. Going to take me a good few years probably as I'll be doing the studying after work but it's something to aim for and it'll hopefully get me a programming job in the future.

Cheers lads :TU: I'll probably look at what I enjoy the most and go from their.

BTW Apart from travelling to each Uni how do I find out how good their Computer Department is?

I Should be going to MMU Matherto so hopefully I'll see you around :DD

Thread's still here. I'm off to Warwick late September, to study Economics. Can't wait.

Anyone else here get their A-Level results earlier? If so, any of you going to Uni?

My grades weren't fantastic, but I did manage to pass two A-Levels (Got a D in Economics and an E in Biology) and one AS-Level (E in Psychology), adding up to 120 UCAS points.

That's enough to get into a fair few Foundation degree courses and I could have probably got a place somewhere through clearing, but I am going to get a job for the year and apply to go to uni next year :).

Back
Top Bottom