"Under the hood" problems

xavi2009

League 2
5 June 2012
I'm not going to expose the typical problems.
I'll focus on underlying problems that, to me, would make a bigger impact than any other feedback I've seen.

I propose a set of changes that can't be implemented into PES2013 at this stage, but Konami people should consider these solutions for the future.

A) DIFFICULTY LEVELS

PROBLEM: features that should be individual for every team (amount of pressure, capacity to overcome matches, verticality, accuracy, goalkeeping) are decided by difficulty levels, and not by team standards.

PROPOSAL: split difficulty into ARCADE and SIMULATION.
Arcade gameplay will focus on fun and goal chances.
In Simulation, teams difficulties would differ from each others per se. For example, playing with Barcelona against a lower division team should be easy, and playing against Man U should be hard. That's because of the teams involved, not because of "dificculty levels".

B) TEAM SLIDERS

PROBLEM: Team sliders are something of a false promise. Setting a team to a preset ("Long ball", for example) won't make a team play like that. Sliders only change players positions when on/off the ball, not the way they play. There's no intelligence or different behaviours to it.

PROPOSAL: Create sliders that truly affect the AI.
Example:
•VERTICALITY (horizontal---vertical): affect the tendency to play vertical passes. Basically affects build up speed.
•PASSING RATE (holding---passing): affect the pace at which teams will pass the ball. Some teams (specially south american) sleep the tempo by keeping the ball, with more dynamic teams play pass-pass-pass.
•MOVILITY (defensive---offensive): This is a different concept from position switch. Defensive movility means players search for safe positions to give the ball carrier options. Offensive movility incorporates off the ball runs and exploiting the backs of the rival's lines. Konami got this all wrong and implemented "player support", which is linear and lacks footbal concepts.
•DEFENSIVE STRATEGY (zonal---individual): "zonal" means that, once a team loses possesion, their players will retreat behind the position of the ball, thus having more men in defense. "individual" means your team defensive shape will adapt to the opponent's positions. This is a more aggresive kind of defending.

The only Konami slider I find clever is "attacking stlye".

You see how these sliders differ from Konami "positional only" ones?

More to come when I get back.

You are right, obviously. Football games should be created like Forza or Gran Turismo. Games should be real challenge, and how "assisted" and less challenging those games got, should be decided by the user.

i miss the way zonal defense is applied in pes 2011, i can easily put all my player quickly into my own half :SMUG: i love doing that and use counter attack for the offensive. I remember older pes has better strategy implementation.. just it is more obvious when they change from high or deep line.. mmark, zonal, etc. Pro active ai is good indeed.. however it seems to make a bit trade-off regarding this.

Back
Top Bottom