Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

504x_uncharted_2_release_date.jpg

Hang on, Nathan Drake! Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is almost here, with Sony confirming to us today that the Naughty Dog developed PlayStation 3 game will arrive in the U.S. on October 13th. Start planning your sick days/pre-orders accordingly.

Kotaku

October 16th Euro release hopefully, potentially the same day as PES 2010.

Uncharted 2 Says Hello to Real-Life

Although Uncharted 2: Among Thieves won’t be released for another 2 months, it is already being heralded as the best-looking console game to date. The first gameplay footage of Uncharted 2 displayed the protagonist Nathan Drake in Kathmandu, Nepal. Side-by-side comparison shots of the game versus pictures of the real city itself shows just how close the artists over at Naughty Dog have come to replicating the real world.

Check out the comparison shots in the collage below:

uncharted2kathmandu.jpg

I'm not reading any more news or watching any more videos about this game, patiently waiting for release.

Naughty Dog co-president Christophe Balestra believes the technical demands of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves make the game "impossible" to recreate, like-for-like, on Xbox 360.

"I guarantee that this game couldn't be working on Xbox 360. It would be impossible. I'm 100 per cent sure of this," Balestra told ars technica.

"It's the combination of Blu-ray and hard drive," he explained, revealing that "every single bit" of the 25GB disc had been filled.

"You can play the entire game without loading. We don't require an install. We're doing all the post-processing effects on the SPUs [Synergistic Processing Units]. The quality of the depth of field we have, you can't do that on the Xbox.

"We've invested a lot of time maximising the power of the machine," added Balestra. "That's our job, to make the PS3 shine."

It's not the first time Naughty Dog has talked-up technical prowess of Uncharted 2 or the power of the PS3 itself. The Sony-owned studio has said the sequel uses all of the machine's power, whereas the first game - a poster-child for PS3 - used only "30 to 40 per cent" of its capabilities.

Naughty Dog also houses Sony Worldwide Studio's ICE Team, which concentrates on making PS3 tools and engines to power first-party games.

It's no surprise that Balestra said Naughty Dog is "very open" to sharing advancements with third-party PS3 developers as well as closer siblings - like God of War III developer Sony Santa Monica - then. "That's part of our job," he offered.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune remains one of the best-looking games on PlayStation 3, and the sequel looks even better.

Our resident graphics-geek, Digital Foundry, explores in-depth the "generational leap" made in the sequel. And there are plenty of videos on our Uncharted: Drake's Fortune gamepage to consider as evidence.

I'll stick this up before Tommy or Rad. :))

Exclusive UK pre order boneses.

Amazon

Exclusive Pre-order Bonus: Instant Unlock for "Revenge Mode" in Multiplayer

Pre-order Uncharted 2: Among Thieves with us at Amazon.co.uk and you'll receive a code to instantly unlock the Revenge attribute at the beginning of the game. A multiplayer skill usually only available after many hours of multiplayer play and progression, the "Revenge" attribute gives you the boon of dropping a live grenade upon your death, taking out any nearby attackers… or your unsuspecting team-mates if they're not careful! Amazon.co.uk cannot be held responsible for any friendly fire incidents in multiplayer gameplay. Tread carefully.

A code will be sent via email to the email address associated with the order on the day of the game's release.

Play.com

Pre-Order from Play.com and receive a unique code access the new Uncharted 2: Among Thieves multiplayer BETA. The BETA is due to run from 15th September 2009 to 12th October 2009 (dates subject to change). Code and instructions on how to redeem this offer will be emailed before the BETA commences.

GAME - £50

343449ps_500h.jpg

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Special Edition Contains:

* Gold weapons 1 Beretta and 1 AK-47
* 2 Post cards
* PlayStation 3 Theme:
* Multiplayer skins

Nothing at Shopto yet but the game is just under £33 there.

I wonder if those who were in the beta already can be in this new one again?

Amazon's pre order thing sounds good but the beta taught me that hardly any kills happen in close quarters and you're more likely to kill a team mate with that dropped grenade than an enemy (unless you run into the enemy base over and over)

I hope its possible to download the beta from the DL history and just continue.

The next beta is a public one so hopefully it'll work.

The second stage of the beta has now begun. I just got my code and have finished downloading it!

Are you using an existing code for the first beta or a new one?

Sony has told Eurogamer that Uncharted 2: Among Thieves will be released here earlier than expected on 16th October.

The PS3 exclusive had originally been poised for a 23rd October launch, although that date was retracted quickly by developer Naughty Dog on Twitter.

Uncharted 2 will be among the playable Sony games at the Eurogamer Expo this year. The others include God of War III, Heavy Rain and MAG, all of which launch next spring. Tickets cost a meagre £6 and can be bought on the Eurogamer Expo site now. Be quick, we only have limited space.

The online co-op is a hell of a lot of fun. From the older beta a few of us here played it was very tough as well which is good.

Competitive MP - I think we only got to play gold rush or something on the beta which was alright but personally i wasn't a huge fan. The main problem being only the person scoring with the gold got the points so a lot of people camped at the score zone and waited for you to throw the gold and then they'd grab it and score. If you got points as well it would be fine but you get absolutely nothing. Not even an assist bonus.

I raised the issue and said that we should gain assist points at least on the PS forums and was told i was an idiot, you should get no points for assisting and that they aren't camping they're helping.

Oh sweet, i didn't know about the co-op mode and two of my mates are massive fans of both co-op games and Drake's Fortune so good times there.

No escape from the usual online numpties otherwise though eh? Ah well perhaps Naughty Dog will see sense and not give people a free-ride in the final MP installment. :)

Thanks for the info.

UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves™ Multiplayer Demo available Tuesday, 9/29, for free download on PlayStation®Store.

This was in an email from SCEA.

Well I'm interested but Tobi posted the news yesterday right before your comment.

The Public Beta contains:

* Four maps – The Ice Cave, The Temple, The Village and The Plaza
* Deathmatch, Elimination, Plunder, Chain Reaction, Co-op Gold Rush and an extract from one of our Co-op objective levels
* The Machinima mode, where you can run around the levels and tweak the camera so you can create movies which you can then watch in Cinema mode
* Cinema mode, where you can watch movies of your online matches, or your performances in Machinima mode, then upload them and send them to your friends (as long as they’ve got the Beta to watch it on of course)
* Twitter option – enter your twitter account details and you’ll automatically tweet status updates of your online progress
* Store items – we’ve included a selection of the Skins, Boosters, and Taunts as well as all the Co-op Weapon Upgrades for you to spend your hard earned ingame cash on

Back
Top Bottom