UEFA Euro 2008 – real player names for unlicensed teams

Turns out we can! I just came across a small loophole.

Go to Edit Player then go to Jónsson. Press :square: to randomise the info and you'll see the role has changed to an outfield position (even though it still says the main position is goalkeeper). Exit and Save then go back in and you'll see you can change the position to one of your choice.

Hopefully that will sort of the max number of characters problem for a player's name too. :))

Giovanni van Bronckhorst doesn't fit in, yet the player he is based on with the equally long name (I can't remember what it is exactly) fits in nicely. The same goes for Ruud van Nistelrooy and countless others I expect. :((

Hopefully that will sort of the max number of characters problem for a player's name too. :))

Giovanni van Bronckhorst doesn't fit in, yet the player he is based on with the equally long name (I can't remember what it is exactly) fits in nicely. The same goes for Ruud van Nistelrooy and countless others I expect. :((

The PS3 squad file released later today will have full names. No abbreviations. Even "Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink" ;)

it would be great if someone could make such a file for XBOX360 too.
I´ve made a few changes but i haven`t the time to do the whole work

The PS3 squad file released later today will have full names. No abbreviations. Even "Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink" ;)

I forgot about him. What a long old name! Still, you're an absolute legend mate, cheers. :))

Just out of curiosity (and I should have done this for the first four or five teams I edited myself) - when you edited the player, did you randomise it like you said? That way you can allow for the full name to be inserted. And finally, does that mean you turned off the commentary name too? See, I never knew about that little trick before. So although I had the correct names, the commentator was still saying 'Bales' and 'de Noteboom' etc. It kind of defeated the object of editing the players in the first place. I hope that makes sense. :))

I forgot about him. What a long old name! Still, you're an absolute legend mate, cheers. :))

Just out of curiosity (and I should have done this for the first four or five teams I edited myself) - when you edited the player, did you randomise it like you said? That way you can allow for the full name to be inserted. And finally, does that mean you turned off the commentary name too? See, I never knew about that little trick before. So although I had the correct names, the commentator was still saying 'Bales' and 'de Noteboom' etc. It kind of defeated the object of editing the players in the first place. I hope that makes sense. :))

The randomising only changes the birthday and position. It's only needed to change the couple of players mistakenly set as goalkeepers by EA. It leaves the name as it is, so I don't think it allows for the full name to be inserted. The commentary names can't be changed unfortunately - or if they can, I don't know how.

ICON0.PNG

foxtrot's UEFA EURO 2008 Squad File 0.9 (PS3)

Version 0.9 contains:
  • 100% real player names
  • Fixed Croatian names
  • Fixed positions for some players

Download 270KB

Version 1.0 will contain correct birthdays.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

First of all, well done to everyone working on this thread, it's really helpful. Foxtrot, you are a legend for making that data file. This might sound quite stupid but how do I get it onto my PS3 and make it work with the game? I've managed to download it but I can't seem to get it to work. Thanks mate!

Excellent work mate, thanks very much.

BTW (you probably already know this) you can edit some of the data with a hex editor.

hexedittz3.png

I dunno if this makes editing it quicker or means you can have proper Yugoslavian letters (like Đ (dj), Ž (Zh), etc) or it means that you change other things (call names, etc) ?

Hi everyone,

First of all, well done to everyone working on this thread, it's really helpful. Foxtrot, you are a legend for making that data file. This might sound quite stupid but how do I get it onto my PS3 and make it work with the game? I've managed to download it but I can't seem to get it to work. Thanks mate!

It's a good idea to delete the "Squads 1" file from your PS3 Game Save Data then copy mine from a USB Pen Drive.

Excellent work mate, thanks very much.

BTW (you probably already know this) you can edit some of the data with a hex editor.

I dunno if this makes editing it quicker or means you can have proper Yugoslavian letters (like Đ (dj), Ž (Zh), etc) or it means that you change other things (call names, etc) ?

Yeah I knew about this. It's already incorporated in the file. ;)) A lot of the names were painstakingly hexedited.

A couple of screens:

euro2008_jvoh.jpg

euro2008_zk.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, but most of those teams aren't in the tournament anyway, so why bother with the license?

Why bother? Because it's the official game and all should be licensed if they decide they want to add a qualifying mode.

And the dutch team license is just a bastard anyway, so...

Well they should still not have done the Dutch team in such a farcical manner that it ends up being an insult to all Dutch people or fans of the Dutch team, it's not their fault that EA can't get the license so they should have at least made the players look similar to their real life counterparts rather than make Van Der Sar a black guy with a blonde afro, for example.

I really appreciate your great work
But I have question. My euro 2008 and PS3 are US version. Is it impossible to apply your squad file in my ps3?

I really appreciate your great work
But I have question. My euro 2008 and PS3 are US version. Is it impossible to apply your squad file in my ps3?

I'm not sure if there are any differences between the PAL and NTSC versions. I guess there is no "Battle Of The Nations" rankings in North America?

If you could try and apply the file and let me know if it works, that'd be great.

I'm not sure if there are any differences between the PAL and NTSC versions. I guess there is no "Battle Of The Nations" rankings in North America?

If you could try and apply the file and let me know if it works, that'd be great.

Thank you for your response.
Actually I have tried to apply your squad file, but I coudln't it. I think they have a defference between US and Europe versions. If it is true, I hope that your file can convert to US version.

...it's not their fault that EA can't get the license so they should have at least made the players look similar to their real life counterparts rather than make Van Der Sar a black guy with a blonde afro, for example.

In game Gio is white, Van Nistelroy and Robben are bald... except Seedorf I think that the rest of Dutch Team don't look similar...

Anyway I love this game!

Yes EA clearly made deliberate attempts to make every Dutch player look nothing like their real life counterpart, unlike all the other unlicensed teams who are somewhat similar to the real players, it's clearly EA taking a swipe at the Dutch FA, what they forget is it's actually pissing on ever Dutch gamer and ever fan of the Dutch team, way to go fucking over your potential customers.

Turns out we can! I just came across a small loophole.

Go to Edit Player then go to Jónsson. Press :square: to randomise the info and you'll see the role has changed to an outfield position (even though it still says the main position is goalkeeper). Exit and Save then go back in and you'll see you can change the position to one of your choice.

good work fella (Y)

ICON0.PNG

foxtrot's UEFA EURO 2008 Squad File 1.0 (PS3 PAL)

Version 1.0 contains:
  • 100% real player names and correct birthdays
  • Fixed spelling mistakes (where accented letters were missing for existing players)
  • Fixed positions for some players

Download 271KB

Version 2.0 will be released when the tournament starts and will be adapted to the latest squad update file.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom